Federal loan has been "reassigned"??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I just got an email saying that one of our student loans has been 'reassigned' -- basically sold to a random third party! Is this normal with federal loans?? I didn't know they did this. At first I thought it was a scam but when I logged into the account through the federal website, sure enough, the balance was $0 and it listed the loan as Transferred. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I knew private lenders did this, just not the government...

According to the email, nothing will change, it's just part of a routine reassignment, I just have to create a new account with the new loan holder. So I guess it's not a big deal but it makes me uncomfortable and I'm wondering if there will be any potential issues from this. I also feel we should have received the email directly from the federal loan site, not from the new loan holder, which is a company I've never even heard of. eyesroll.gif I always liked that our mortgage has a clause in it that our loan will never be sold to another company or something like that. I'm just not comfortable with this at all... convince me that it's not a big deal, please...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, normal. Our last 2 mortgages have been sold as well. Nothing changes except for the logo on the stationery and the mailing address for the payments! smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Tags
Finances
User Tag List