What health care plan will cover our medical needs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

premiums? I believe we may be eligible to continue our current coverages with Kaiser when my spouse retires, but the premium will be $1200 monthly. What can we do to get affordable health care? We both have preexisting conditions, and although we are healthy, it makes health care almost out of our reach, when we both have conditions which require several visits to health care providers annually.

#2 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Repost over in Frugality and Finances, and I bet you will get some answers.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#3 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I dont know much about how health care works in the US ... you mention retirement age ... does not one switch to medicare then? There are websites that compare health benefit costs, maybe search for that and see what the going premiums are. 1200/month is a lot.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 AM

No clue on what it would be- but healthcare.org has comparisons.  I think you need to rethink your price range cause I don't think you are going to find anything less than $1200/mo.  That isn't that much if you are both 'liabilities' to your pool with your preexisting conditions.  We never go to the dr and for us 2 kids ago and a high deductible no maternity policy it was $800/mo.  And we were both way younger than retirement age  (so we canceled:).  I think you have a good thing going right now.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Could you stay within Kaiser (so you don't need to switch companies with pre-existing conditions) but look for a different plan?  There are many, many different Kaiser plans available.   You could find one with a lower monthly premium, but higher deductible, then set up a HSA to draw money from your account pre tax each month to use for doctor's visits. This is what we do for the kids and I because we could not afford the $900/month premium anymore, so we chose to go the deductible/HSA route instead.  I find Kaiser's deductible pricing to be very reasonable.

If you are close to medicare age, then you would only need to do this for a few years, then could switch to Kaiser Senior Advantage as your Medicare Part B. I have a family member that is already doing that due to being on disability so she qualifies for medicare before 65, she has many pre-exisitng conditions and is finding it doable.

#6 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

$1200 honestly sounds sound unreasonable especially with preexisting conditions. Private insurance is entirely different then insurance through an employer, it is not cheap by any means!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 8 Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM

This is going to depend in part what your options are.  Some of that will depend on the actual pre-existing conditions themselves, and some of that will depend on where you live.

If you're in the US, when your DH starts discussing retirement with the HR dept, health care is something that should be discussed also.  What options are they offering in his retirement package?  If they're not offering anything, what are the options available, they should be able to tell him?  Does he qualify for federal?  Do you? 

If you both qualify for federal, then I'd also start exploring secondary coverage.  I know my grandmother has a secondary coverage that covers some things federal doesn't, which helps with the costs of prescriptions and the like, since federal is very bare-bones. 

If you don't qualify for federal, then you really need to talk to the HR dept. about options.  Even if they're not offering you anything themselves, they'll be able to tell you whether there are options similar to COBRA or HIPPA coverage available to you. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If you consider a private insurance, I assume you have a gap between you are eligible for medicare? If so, than $1200 for two people might not be a bad offer. Do you work? Are you eligible for an employer program?

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page