tithing /church contributions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm joining a new church and trying to decide how much my "financial contribution" should be.  So if you don't mind sharing, what % of your income (or dollar amount) do you give to your church, if you attend one? 

Thanks!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A tithe refers to 10%.  Some believe that this should go to your local church- DH and I don't really agree with that.  We give a portion of this to our church and a portion to missions that we support.  Also- sometimes we give this to someone who has a need as we feel led.  Probably at least half goes to our church though.  

I think it is a personal decision as to how you feel led.  What we have noticed though is that even when money is tight- if we are tithing like we should money kind of works itself out.  I don't know how that really works- it just does- and we have a tight budget :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 20 Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 AM

10% of my income to my church every month. I feel as if my tithes belong to the place I worship to support that church. I also give extra, above the 10%, to things such as our Women's Ministry group, special love offerings if someone in the church has a special need, love offerings to guest singers or preachers, one specific TV ministry, etc. I consider those offerings above my 10%. I base those on what extra I can afford out of my budget. Sometimes that might only be $5 or $10 per situation. Maybe a total of about $30 a month.

I am one of those people that feel very strongly about supporting my local church with my 10%. I understand that a lot of people disagree.

Let us know what you decide! smile.gif

#4 of 20 Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was raised with 10% for a church and "religous work" contribution. So, not all of of it went to the church and it was annualized. My mom would have quote scripture and verse that 10% is not actually a bibilical tithe but that it was the amount that made sense to her.

#5 of 20 Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Wow, you are all very generous.  I was debating between 1 and 2 %!  (I realize that the word "tithing" means 10%, but I put it in my title anyway because it implies a discussion of church contributions, too.)   The church I'm joining does not have a minimum financial requirement to join; they will take anything. 

#6 of 20 Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 AM

We give 10% of our gross income to support our church.  Like krisnicjohn, we also give above that 10% for love offerings, ministries we support, and other missions opportunities based on what extras we can afford.  Our church does NOT have a minimum financial requirement, nor do they set the expectation for giving.  They preach giving based on what we feel led by the Lord to give.

Like iowaorganic, we find the money works itself out when we are diligent and faithful in our giving.

HOWEVER, not that many years ago, DH and I were not in a position to tithe much.  If we had tithed 10%, we would not have been able to eat for the whole month.  We gave what we could.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#7 of 20 Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My DH and I give 10% as a tithe to our church.  It is the first thing we pay before bills.  We also give an additional 1% of our income toward a Christian education fund that helps kids from our church attend a Christian school.  We have found when we pay our 10% we have enough to cover what is necessary.  Giving God's money back to him seems to do that - blessings come - bills get paid.  We are faithful in giving our 10%.  It is an expectation of our church that we do so, but we would do it whether the church expected it or not as we will it is our duty to God to return a tithe.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#8 of 20 Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM

We give ~10% of our take-home to our church.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#9 of 20 Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Yes, tithe means 10% and I have the feeling those who are speaking up are doing so because they are meeting their goals of 10% or more nicely and are very happy with where they're at about it. The rest of us want to stay quiet because we aren't doing so well about it. We give 1%, on rough months less, because as things are now we would go back into debt or not eat or something like that to give up any more. Perhaps if/when we strip away all the bills and started life over with bare minimums as far as housing etc we can do more, or when DH gets a new job, or a combo of the two. When we have given one time gifts beyond our real capability everything has turned out ok though.

#10 of 20 Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

According to a survey I read somewhere a couple years ago.  Less than 10% of adult Christians tithe the full 10%.  The median tithing and other donations was less than $500 / year, obviously less than 10% of people's income.  Don't feel too bad if you can't afford to give the full 10%.  You're with the majority.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#11 of 20 Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

Yes, tithe means 10% and I have the feeling those who are speaking up are doing so because they are meeting their goals of 10% or more nicely and are very happy with where they're at about it. The rest of us want to stay quiet because we aren't doing so well about it. We give 1%, on rough months less, because as things are now we would go back into debt or not eat or something like that to give up any more. Perhaps if/when we strip away all the bills and started life over with bare minimums as far as housing etc we can do more, or when DH gets a new job, or a combo of the two. When we have given one time gifts beyond our real capability everything has turned out ok though.

This is why I added my "However" comment at the end of my post.  I believe that if you are faithful and diligent in giving back, regardless of the amount, you will find it works itself out.  I think the key to giving is doing it with a willing and open heart, not grudgingly.  You give what you can because you're thankful for the blessings, not because it's a chore to fulfill.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#12 of 20 Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM

We give 10% too -- though I don't calculate it exactly, I round, and sometimes it's 8%, sometimes it's 13%, sometimes it's 10% of only our after-tax income (like when DH was unemployed for a year) -- but the general goal for us is 10%. I will be honest, it is sometimes a struggle for us. We sacrifice a lot to be able to do 10%, some of our friends seem to think we're poor, and occasionally I do think it would be nice to buy a pair of $30 jeans instead of the $3 pair at the thrift store, but mostly it doesn't feel like a sacrifice. I feel like it's been really good for our spiritual growth, for our ability to rely less on material things, to put others first, etc. and that money issues always just seem to work out for us... so much so that, when we hit hard times financially, one of the first things I tend to do is increase our tithe... sounds weird, I know, maybe it's one of those things that you need to experience to understand.

Anyway, I don't think there is an amount you should feel you HAVE to give, just give what you can. Ten percent can be huge because of the way COL seems to have increased more than incomes, and I do think it is not doable for some without needing to rely on public assistance. But I think there is something to sacrificing, so maybe think of what amount would be easy to give, and then add just a bit more to make it just a little bit difficult, so you can be conscious of what you are doing, if that makes sense. Give up your morning latte one day a week and give the money you would have spent to your church. (The latte is a metaphor, I know I certainly can't afford lattes, we do things like make our own shampoo & toothpaste to save money lol) You can always increase (or decrease) how much you give down the line, so don't over-think it. Try praying on it. smile.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#13 of 20 Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

According to a survey I read somewhere a couple years ago.  Less than 10% of adult Christians tithe the full 10%.  The median tithing and other donations was less than $500 / year, obviously less than 10% of people's income.  Don't feel too bad if you can't afford to give the full 10%.  You're with the majority.

Thanks.  I think I'll go with about 1% of gross right now. 

#14 of 20 Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM

I would just mention that you should put it in envelope with your name on it or write a cheque if possible for a tax donation credit.  At $10 a week that is a tax write off of $520.

#15 of 20 Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 PM

We do about 5% gross to church.

#16 of 20 Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 PM

10% gross to church, and nominal donations throughout the year for special offerings, or given to other charities. I had been tithing to the local church, but relocated and haven't found a new one yet, so I tithe to a church with a large online ministry and watch many of their services that are streamed. 

#17 of 20 Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFilled View Post

I would just mention that you should put it in envelope with your name on it or write a cheque if possible for a tax donation credit.  At $10 a week that is a tax write off of $520.

Thanks.  Yes, I do plan on claiming it on my taxes.

#18 of 20 Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Hi,

We decided that we would pay off our debts first (we feel that debt is at least questionable bibically), then give 10% ... not all to our local church, though.  My sense is that the ancient churches did a lot more than just host worship services, and that's really all our church does.  So, we are commiting it to things that would have been assumed by the local church -- mission work wherever it may be, local community efforts, and of course some contribution to the local church.

Once we get there... right now, the debt!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#19 of 20 Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 PM

I am very low income at the moment due to being a single sahm. If I am the only one attending that Sunday, I give x. If my children are with me, I give x three times. Since I can't contribute much financially at this time, I try to make up the difference by serving on committees, being at work days etc.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#20 of 20 Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Deermother makes a terrific point - there are lots of ways to serve your church that do not involve writing a check! Teaching Sunday School, cleaning, working in the office, helping with weddings or funerals - all benefit the church.

We have finally worked our way up to 10% - last summer DH got a healthy raise, and almost all of it went to an increased offering. Our church has electronic giving, so our regular offering is paid directly; we write checks for extra things, like Lenten offerings and fundraisers (most recently, $5000 toward a new heating system).

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page