Recommendations for professional movers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are moving from SC to Chicago in a few months and are trying to decide if it's worth it to hire professional movers or do it ourselves. My family has always done it ourselves, but I have a ten month old and just don't know if I can manage it.

For those of you who've used professional movers, was it worth it? What company would you recommend? I don't want to get caught in a scam....

#2 of 5 Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 AM

I would be interested in this also as we are moving from So Ca to Texas.  Hopefully someone will respond.  We just moved from Az to So Ca for my dd medical needs. But thinking Texas is a better place.

#3 of 5 Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You can get free quotes from companies, I'd stick with national companies to avoid scams, ones like Atlas, Mayflower. You don't want to go with a local, small budget company or pay independent people to move. You want a well known company to handle liability, worker's comp, any of the those potential moving problems.   Summer is prime moving time and sometimes the larger companies will book up in advance and stop taking reservations. I've heard that you can cancel the reservation later with no little hassle but trying to get one later if you decide to go that route can prove troublesome. Taking in account the way gas prices are these days, the DIY version can look less and less appealing. With the Uhaul and Budget trucks, they do overbook their reservations and a truck may or may not actually on there on the day you need it. We've encouraged that ourselves a couple times. I haven't moved cross country myself, just know many that have. orngbiggrin.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 5 Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I am moving about 2200 miles in the next month and its just not cost effective to 'move' much. Roughly its $2/mile for either professional movers OR something like 'pack rat'.  I won't even price U-haul with gas over $4/gallon.

I am selling most of my furniture, most of my other 'stuff' and either shipping boxes via USPS media mail for books and fed-ex for other stuff or I need to still price a pallet through fed-ex for the boxes.  The clothes and few very important personal items will go in the car with us.

Honestly the boxes that ship are mainly going to have DS lego collection, books, and things like that. 

Most everything else can be replaced cheaper than shipping.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 5 Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM

I did a coorporate relocation in 2001 and it cost about 10K to move a large two bedroom townhouse full of stuff approximately 300 miles.  It was great everything was packed for use and then the big stuff was placed in the right rooms and we unpacked ourselves. DH still had to move his boat himself.

I am in the midst of another less generous corporate relocation right now where we get 3K of expenses reimbursed.  I think we are going to just end up using a U-haul.  My quote on the truck was about $400 for a one way rental (approximately 450 miles) plus the fuel.  We already took one load with our truck and a 6 by 12 foot trailer.

Pods are another choice.  I would use them in an instant if we where moving to a situation that was more temporary or where I didn't have a bunch of outbuilding to store stuff in.

Anyway I think it is generally an area where DYI is worth it especially if you are moving one your own dime.  It is less stressful to move professionally, but IMO not that much less.  

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page