April Meal Planning- Spring has Sprung - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1970 View Post

*facepalm*  Okay, despite the fact that you hear all the time not to open the Crock Pot specifically because it lets heat out, I'm so embarrassed to admit it never occurred to me to do it on purpose and stir the food!  Sheesh.  That seems so obvious.

lol.gif It took forever for me to do it because I was told SOO many times growing up that food won't cook if you open the crockpot.. Finally I got tired of over done food and tired it. Worked like a charm but I STILL hear my mom's voice in my head "DON"T TOUCH, its never going to cook" orngbiggrin.gif

Ok, I have been horrible actually keeping with a meal plan. Ive been plan exhausted. No clue why redface.gif But I'm going to try again :)

4/11- Roast steaks, Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli

4/12- Fajitas (using leftover roast steak), refried beans, Spanish rice, corn

4/13- Hubby is bring home Chinese food hide.gif

4/14- Meatloaf, rice, mixed veggies

4/15- Sloppy Joes, Fries, salad

Then I need to go shopping.. Im low on food stuff in the house. Im throwing these together with a prayer the kids will eat it. Luckily I don't have picky eaters. Only thing I found they WON"T eat is egg salad.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM

I have been doing better during the week- but the weekend still is getting us.  DH has been working crazy hours and hasn't been stopping for lunch- so if on Friday or Saturday night he wants to go out- well I don't want to tell him no :)  

4/10- crockpot roast beef, boiled potatoes, broccoli, homemade cheese sauce (yum!), whole spelt bread, and coconut cream pie

4/11- crockpot chicken, peas, fried potatoes, left over bread and jam, left over coconut cream pie

4/12- crockpot chili

4/13- going to my moms all day

I have a couple of crockpots- My favorite is kind of like a hot plate that you put a metal dish over and then the glass lid.  It only cooks from the bottom- cause there is nothing on the sides- but yesterday I put a frozen 4 lb chuck roast in it and turned it on 4 and it was done in 4 hours- and I lifted the lid once.  It is amazing.  The other one I have is like the standard round one and it takes forever to cook stuff.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#33 of 59 Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

s 4/8 EASTER   ham, potatoes, veggie, soda bread, applesauce

m 4/9  Left overs (ham, sandwiches, etc)

t 4/10 Red Robin - friends in town

w 4/11 Eggs n Ham, apple sauce, yogurt

t 4/12 Chicken nuggets/pop corn chicken, pasta roni, yogurt, fruit cup, soda bread

f  4/13 Pancakes, sausage

s 4/14 Usually eat out, having a garage sale 6am

s 4/15 My Birthday

**3 weeks until we move and I still have too much in the pantry.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#34 of 59 Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 PM

4/9: Chicken and broccoli crepes, pan-fried apples

4/10: Ham and lentils, brown rice, leftover glazed carrots

4/11: Chicken pot pie, fruit salad

4/12: Denver omelet, strawberries and whipped cream, biscuits

#35 of 59 Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 PM

All snacks and other meals are eaten at home

Dinner menu

Monday pasta 

Tuesday veg stir fry

Wed chicken and salad

Thursday portabella burgers

Friday homemade veg pizza

Sat we are attending a party that will have misc food

Sunday black bean burritos

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#36 of 59 Old 04-13-2012, 05:49 PM

04-13-Toast and fruit(purging for the real estate agent and dh left early for a gig)

04-14-Homemade pizza-dough fr the bread maker w broccoli,pineapple,mushroom,black olives,peppers,onions and garlic

04-15-Refried bean tacos w lettuce,tomato,black olives,peppers,guacamole and salsa

04-16-"Leftover soup" using all the chopped up veggies from the last two meals and adding red curry paste and rice noodles(like a thai tom yum)

04-17-SLOW COOKER MEAL-Sweet potato/kidney bean chili(double batch for the freezer) topped w avocado and served w chips

04-18-Breakfast for dinner(coconut/banana french toast w scrambled eggs,roasted potatoes(double batch) and fruit) Roasting cauliflower as well

04-19-SLOW COOKER MEAL-Sloppy Lentils on buns w sweet potato fries 

04-20-Potato/Cauliflower/Chickpea curry on rice(making a triple batch of rice & chickpeas & using the extra cooked cauliflower & potatoes)

04-21-Fried rice w veggies and scrambled eggs. Big batch hoping to freeze some. Possibly tofu as well

04-22-Roasted beets and some kinda chickpea dish

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#37 of 59 Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM

I'm doing a major overhaul of our diet right now and trying to figure out how to pull this off without breaking the bank.  I've been stuck in a food rut and while we eat healthy, I want to improve our diet even more and to get this going while the kids are still little. I'm also so so tired of chicken and want to reduce our beef consumption to only once or twice a month.  So, this means more fish and vegetable and grain proteins. I think my kids will like this, they both already like fish and a variety of whole grains. Unfortunately, ds will not touch any beans or lentils, but dd will, and I don't want to use soy based substitutes except for the occasional tofu.  I think once we get in the swing of things, this will actually be easier on the grocery budget but while we're getting started I'm feeling the pinch. I'm definitely heading to Costco next week for salmon and other fish, I know it will be cheaper in frozen bulk.

Tonight: salmon, fingerling potatoes and brussels sprouts on the grill, wilted spinach, quinoa salad 

This week:

Tilapia, rice pilaf, asparagus

Shrimp pasta with red peppers, asparagus and mushrooms

Breaded fish tacos, black beans, salad 

Pork chops, roasted vegetables and potatoes 

Pizza with red peppers, onions and mushrooms, salad

Bbq chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli

Salmon burgers, oven fries, salad

Homemade ricotta gnocchi and pesto

#38 of 59 Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 PM

4/9: Chicken and broccoli crepes, pan-fried apples

4/10: Ham and lentils, brown rice, leftover glazed carrots

4/11: Chicken pot pie, fruit salad

4/13: Leftovers

4/14: Homemade Hot Pockets, apples

4/15: Sandwiches, hot wings, raw veggies, chips and dip (Ate at a b-day party.)

#39 of 59 Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

I'm doing a major overhaul of our diet right now and trying to figure out how to pull this off without breaking the bank.  I've been stuck in a food rut and while we eat healthy, I want to improve our diet even more and to get this going while the kids are still little. I'm also so so tired of chicken and want to reduce our beef consumption to only once or twice a month.  So, this means more fish and vegetable and grain proteins. I think my kids will like this, they both already like fish and a variety of whole grains. Unfortunately, ds will not touch any beans or lentils, but dd will, and I don't want to use soy based substitutes except for the occasional tofu.  I think once we get in the swing of things, this will actually be easier on the grocery budget but while we're getting started I'm feeling the pinch. I'm definitely heading to Costco next week for salmon and other fish, I know it will be cheaper in frozen bulk.

You def eat somewhat like us though were vegetarians. Have you thought about eggs as a dinner time meal? fritattas and such? We've been eating more soy then normal. Usually we stick to tofu(maybe once a week) and organic frozen edamame. Would ur ds eat beans in things like veggie alphabet soup or veggie chili w salt free tortilla chips or bread to dip? Hummus dinner has always been a hit here before ds would eat beans

#40 of 59 Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 AM

So my pizza dough didnt work sat so we ended up having tacos and yest we had the real estate agent here frm 2-8 staging the house...then had to drive 45min to my gmas after....take out it was irked.gif

Tonight is pizza!!! Hopefully! My dough better work this time. Ive got little ones freaking out about the lack of pizzaeyesroll.gif

#41 of 59 Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

What is Orange Glow Salad?

Oreo Cookie Pie??  please share!!

Yes...PLEAAAASE RECIPES!! :)

#42 of 59 Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

@zebra15:

What is Orange Glow Salad?

Oreo Cookie Pie?? please share!!

When I was a little girl (back in the Bronze Age), we called Orange Glow Salad, "Sunshine Salad."  In recent years, though, I've seen recipes for Sunshine Salad that aren't remotely the same thing.  Then a few years ago I came across a recipe for Orange Glow, and it's pretty similar, so now that's what I call it.

Orange Glow

1 (6oz) pkg orange gelatin

1 cup finely grated carrots

1 (15oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained

3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix gelatin in 1 cup bowling water until dissolved.

Add carrots, pineapple, and pecans, if using.

Pour into a 7x11-inch glass dish and refrigerate until gelled.

When I was young, we made it with lemon jello.  That might explain the difference in names.  It's a simple salad and my kids have always liked it.  If you try it, just make sure the carrots are *finely* grated.

Oreo Cookie Pie

(This recipe came from a Jell-O box.  It's definitely not something you'd call terribly healthy.  Heh.)

1/2 cup hot fudge ice cream topping*

1 Graham cracker pie crust

1 (8oz) tub whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed and divided**

1 1/4 cups cold milk

2 pkg. (4.2oz each) Jell-O Oreo Cookies N' Creme Instant Pudding

Reserve 2 Tablespoons fudge topping; spread remaining amount onto bottom of crust.

Top with 1/2 of the whipped topping and freeze for 10 minutes.

Beat milk and pudding mixes with a whisk for 2 minutes.

Stir in remaining whipped topping and spread over pie.

Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.

Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving, and let stand at room temperature to soften slightly.

Drizzle with reserved fudge topping.

*I make my own hot fudge topping, from the recipe in Dining on a Dime.  There's also a recipe at All Recipes that I have used and liked.

**It's possible to make your own Cool Whip from powdered milk and some other ingredients.  I've done it before, but I just bought a generic tub of whipped topping for this recipe.

Graham cracker pie crust

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

3 Tablespoons sugar

1 stick margarine, melted

Mix all ingredients together and press into a 9-inch pie plate.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Cool.

(Or just buy one, obviously.  Sometimes I find Graham cracker pie crusts on sale for less than it would cost me to make one.)

You could even make your own Graham crackers.  :) 

Those sound wonderful!!

#43 of 59 Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the quiche reminder! My kids eat an egg every morning with breakfast, but I could definitely make an egg based dinner once a week. Ds won't do soups or chili, it's frustrating. If I make an italian soup that has pasta and beans in it, he will pick out the pasta and veggies he likes and not touch the beans or broth. I make hummus for a snack to eat with multigrain chips sometimes and he runs hot and cold with it. Maybe I should try adding it to a pita for dinner. He's overall a good eater, but can be very stubborn about certain things. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

You def eat somewhat like us though were vegetarians. Have you thought about eggs as a dinner time meal? fritattas and such? We've been eating more soy then normal. Usually we stick to tofu(maybe once a week) and organic frozen edamame. Would ur ds eat beans in things like veggie alphabet soup or veggie chili w salt free tortilla chips or bread to dip? Hummus dinner has always been a hit here before ds would eat beans

#44 of 59 Old 04-17-2012, 04:29 AM

Here's ours for the coming week:

Tuesday: Breakfast: Tempeh Bacon and Scrambled Eggs
Snack 1 - Date Balls
Snack 2 - Rye Crackers w/ Cheese
Dinner - Black Bean Chili with Brown RIce and Steamed Greens

Wednesday: Breakfast: French Toast w/ Fruit (Oranges or Apples)
Snack 1 - Peanut Butter and Apple Slices
Snack 2 - Popcorn w/ Nutritional Yeast
Dinner - Potato Soup w/ Toast

Thursday: Breakfast: Scrambled Tofu with Oatmeal and Fruit
Snack 1 - Sliced Carrots and Hummus
Snack 2 - Plain Yogurt with Fruit Slices, Nuts and Cheese
Dinner - Weeknight Curry w/ Barley

Friday: Breakfast: Herbed Cottage Cheese Omelets w/ Spinach
Snack 1 - Whole Grain Pretzels
Snack 2 - Oat Bars and Oranges
Dinner - Summer Linguine w/ White Beans, Green Salad (from the yard!)

Saturday: Breakfast: Homemade Granola w/ Yogurt Fruit Salad
Snack 1 - Cottage Cheese w/ Fruit
Snack 2 - Guacamole w/ Homemade Tortilla Chips
Dinner: Red Bean and Quinoa Chili w/ Green Salad

Sunday: Breakfast: Pancakes
Snack 1 - Tempeh Club Sandwiches
Snack 2 - Lemon and Garlic Quinoa Salad
Dinner - Cabbage and Potatoes w/ White Beans 

#45 of 59 Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

Thanks for the quiche reminder! My kids eat an egg every morning with breakfast, but I could definitely make an egg based dinner once a week. Ds won't do soups or chili, it's frustrating. If I make an italian soup that has pasta and beans in it, he will pick out the pasta and veggies he likes and not touch the beans or broth. I make hummus for a snack to eat with multigrain chips sometimes and he runs hot and cold with it. Maybe I should try adding it to a pita for dinner. He's overall a good eater, but can be very stubborn about certain things. Thanks for the suggestions!

Also things like veggie pizza on whole wheat or gluten free dough with flax meal hidden works here. I hide flax meal in everything. 

Pancakes w fruit and flax meal goes over here.

Ds and dd never liked mixed soup so I use to drain their broth off into a cup and let them pick at the veggies. Worked better...who knows why.

#46 of 59 Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM

4/9: Chicken and broccoli crepes, pan-fried apples

4/10: Ham and lentils, brown rice, leftover glazed carrots

4/11: Chicken pot pie, fruit salad

4/13: Leftovers

4/14: Homemade Hot Pockets, apples

4/15: Sandwiches, hot wings, raw veggies, chips and dip (Ate at a b-day party.)

4/16: Fish fillets with almond butter, baked rice, spring greens

4/17: Roast chicken, corn bread stuffing, steamed mixed vegetables, frosted grapes

4/18: Apple-raisin cake, scrambled eggs, bacon, vegetable juice

#47 of 59 Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

4/16 Pork Chops, Rice, Cranberry Sauce, Salad

4/17 Left Overs from 4/16

4/18 Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes

4/19 Tuna Sandwiches, apple sauce, yogurt, granola bars (pantry clean out day)  pizza, dinner failure

4/20 yogurt, fruit cup, soup/sapghetto's/beef a roni (pantry clean out day)

4/21 Saturday

4/22 need to buy meat, mashed potato flakes, gravy, frozen peas and carrots, fruit cup, candy (from here on out will be pantry items with only items purchased to make the meal - most likely meat and or fresh veggies)   12 days and counting!

Breakfast needs to be: Cereal, pop tarts, granola bars

Snacks are: Granola bars, fruit cups, single serve candies, popcorn

Drinks: 2l Soda, single serve drinks, hot cocoa packets, 'odd flavor' cans soda

Will need to buy water

Still taking things to the food pantry donation bin.  I haven't purchased groceries for the better part of a month, only meat and produce.  I've been eating from the pantry since possibly March 1st.

We have enough snacks for our week long road trip as well.!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#48 of 59 Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM

Last night we had tom yum. I feel like I'm behind a night all week. Today was suppose to be a slowcooker meal but we've got our first house showing :) so luckily I found some sloppy lentils in the freezer. YAY freezer meal!!!!

#49 of 59 Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

4/19  DINNER FAILURE... the planets aligned in such a way that I was just unable to cope with life at all today.  NOTHING got done.  I ended up at the grocery (instead of a restaurant or calling for delivery) and we are having pizza.

#50 of 59 Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

4/19  DINNER FAILURE... the planets aligned in such a way that I was just unable to cope with life at all today.  NOTHING got done.  I ended up at the grocery (instead of a restaurant or calling for delivery) and we are having pizza.

Aw... {{{hugs}}}

#51 of 59 Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Aw... {{{hugs}}}

Thanks- the tuna is made for tomorrow.  I purchased an extra loaf of bread so DS is all ready to go.  In anticipation of the upcoming move I used all 4 cans of tuna and there is just enough mayo left for the bread.  Tuna for the next couple days - YEAH.  (DS loves tuna)

#52 of 59 Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM

We went grocery shopping today since dh was out of coffee orngtongue.gif

Haven't planned for the entire week yet but I know tonight is

Jamaican rice and pigeon peas w mango/green bean salad and corn on the cobyummy.gif Corn on the cob was .47 each and they're prob not great but that was dd's choice as a treat so can't say no lol

#53 of 59 Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm getting back on track!  My Mom was visiting for a week and last Sat I hosted my hubby's family for DD2's birthday party.....so I haven't been planning well and I bought a few more convenience foods than normal.  It left me feeling horrible though (I was eating some gluten, too, which isn't good for me) and I am back to planning for the next week.  We are supposed to have awesome weather this weekend and I have tons of work to do outside, so I'm hoping to cook extra today to keep the weekend simple.

Anyway, this week has been/will be:

Mon 4/16  Shredded Pork Tacos, salad

Tues 4/17  (homemade) chicken strips, spud puppies, salad

Wed 4/18 Apple gouda sausages, sweet potato fries, salad

Thurs 4/19  Chicken veggie rice soup

Fri 4/20  Beef/lentil sloppy joes (w/ lots of veggies), salad

Sat 4/21  Leftovers

Sun  4/22  Roasted Chicken, roasted potatoes,  greens

Mon  4/23  Fried rice

Tues 4/24 Roast beef, roasted potatoes.....

I may play with the days a little.  I know we'll also be having pork kebabs. mexican sweet potato skins and chicken legs next week. 

Hoping to find time today to make muffins and energy bars to snack on (toddler is sick and wants to lay on me and nurse, so we'll see).

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#54 of 59 Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM

We had a great week cutting down on meat and eating more fish. Dh and I both feel really good and the kids seem happy with it. My only challenge is keeping the pasta to a minimum, it's easy to fall back on since my kids like it so much, and I'm still trying to stay away from gluten. They are warming up to quinoa, parmesan cheese makes everything better in our house. We're still sticking with green smoothies in the morning, too (at least me, dh and dd are).

Last night: salmon burgers, artichokes, sweet potato fries

Tonight: grilled shrimp and veggie (zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, onion, broccoli) kabobs, pasta salad with olives, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, feta and balsamic vinaigrette, crusty italian bread

Sole and fingerling potatoes and onions on the grill (foil packets), quinoa with parm cheese, asparagus

Spinach and cheese ravioli, marinara, broccoli, salad

Pizza with peppers, mushrooms and meatless meatball crumbles, spinach salad

Shrimp tacos, black beans, salad

CP chicken cacciatore with zucchini, peppers and mushrooms, wheat pasta, quinoa, sauteed spinach

Salmon, sweet potato, onion and broccoli curry, brown rice

Pork chops, roasted red potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, cauliflower and brussels sprouts

Ricotta gnocchi, pesto or marinara, broccoli

#55 of 59 Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM

04-21-Blackbean soup w masa dumplings using up leftover salsa yummy.gif

04-22-Grab what you want(we did get take-out at lunch)

04-23-Curried chickpea/veg salad w corn on the cob

04-24-SLOW COOKER MEAL-Potato/Cauliflower Chickpea curry on steamed rice(making extra rice)

04-25-Baked honey lentils w fried rice and steamed broccoli and roasted veggies

#56 of 59 Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

4/22 Tuna sandwich, PB&J

4/23 Dinner in a bag, garlic bread, cinnamon rolls (dessert)

4/24 Chicken, potato flakes and gravy, salad, baked carrots

4/25 Chicken left overs, salad

4/26 Rice, frozen veggies chicken bites

4/27 Soup, flat bread, fruit cup, yogurt

4/28 SATURDAY

4/29 Pancakes, bacon

4/30 

Leaving on May 3rd... getting very panicked!

#57 of 59 Old 04-27-2012, 04:11 PM

04-25-Tofu and veg cooked in parchment paper w a miso garlic sauce(amazing) w fried rice and salad

04-26-Honey baked lentils,coconut rice & peas,spag squash coleslaw and roasted broc

04-27-Hummus/pita/veg/"pickle salad" Im also in the process of attempting to make kim chi

04-28-Homemade pizza

04-29-Friends for dinner-Tofu in parchment, Lemon cashew pineapple rice,salad and friends are bringing a gluten free dessert YAY

04-30-Pasta..nothing exciting since my kids like boring tomato sauce pasta eyesroll.gif

#58 of 59 Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM

My current selections, as usual some carry over from last week and there are some meals I make every week:

Thai red curry with salmon, sweet potato, onion and broccoli, peanut noodles with sauteed tofu and spinach, quinoa

Spinach and cheese ravioli, marinara, broccoli, salad

Shrimp tacos, black beans, salad

CP chicken cacciatore with zucchini, peppers and mushrooms, high fiber spaghetti, sauteed spinach

Tilapia, wild rice pilaf, asparagus

Pork chops, roasted red potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, broccoli and brussels sprouts

Ricotta gnocchi, pesto or marinara, broccoli

Turkey burgers, sweet potato fries, corn on the cob, salad

Veggie pizza, salad

#59 of 59 Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Last night instead of tofu in parchement we had tofu kabobs....OMG AMAZING. Grilled zukes and dh made little eggplant "sandwiches" stuffing basil and goats milk cheese in between the eggplant. My dh is amazing lol. Had it w salad and pineapple fried rice

Tonight is pasta. Using leftover tomato sauce from pizza and steaming some veggies. Im making a gluten free pasta for dh and I using the oil the eggplant was cooked in last nightyummy.gif and some veggies.

Ive really got to plan this week. Or fly by the seat of my pants Sheepish.gif

Tags
Finances , Frugality

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page