April Meal Planning- Spring has Sprung - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I'm staring this one a bit early.  I am moving at the end of April and I need to be very conscious about the pantry , food planning, spending on food and everything else in my life.

Ok- Same deal as last month.  You can post, lurk, whatever works for YOU.  This is to keep folks on track with meal planning, budgeting, dealing with food issues, whatever you need.

My goal is to obviously keep eating out to a minimum, keep grocery spending in check, and cook healthy meals at home.  We do eat dinner out every Saturday night and I try to pick places we have coupons/discounts/gift cards to.  Both myself and our friends have local Entertainment books which help greatly in all areas of spending but especially Saturday Nights.

Hoping for no 'dinner failures' this month.  Hoping to continue to pack snacks for swim team, outings and such.  Hoping to keep drive thru time at a minimum as well.  Hoping to track eating out spending

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can do it!!!!!! Party in your panty!!!!  lol.gif

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post

Party in your panty!!!!  lol.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM

Hi, so I guess I'll start with this coming week in this thread.  We're trying this month to limit meat, and buy the meat we do eat from the farmer's market.

Saturday: tamale pie (contains meat)

Sunday: Chakalaka (a veggie dish we learned from Catholic Relief Services lenten recipies a few years back, and really enjoy)

Monday: LO Tamale Pie

Tuesday: LO Chakalaka

Wed: pasta with sauce

Thursday: leftovers

Friday home made beer and pizza

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM

Gosh, I really need to do this. We have a huge problem with eating out. After DH is off work I just want to go out & do something fun. However, we have started paying on my Homebirth & it leaves our leftover budget nil.

So, that being said, my goal is to not eat out except for once a pay period.
No drive thrus, instead pack lunch whenever I leave the house. Way too easy to get that burrito when dd falls asleep in the car.

I also must use the food in our fridge & stop buying to waste.
So here goes:
On the menu this week :
Spaghetti
Quesadillas w/ beans & avo
Chicken soup with dumplings
Chili & cornbread ( no meat chili)
Lentil bake with rice
Premade curry sauce with peas, brocc, mushrooms & rice

I have never meal planned before so I have to figure out what needs to be used first, among other things.

Yay for accountability!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM

I really fell off planning the past 2-3 weeks and it didn't go so well.  I wasted more food, spent more $ and ended up with lots of spontaneous 'new recipes' that didn't go over well  (I usually  cushion new things between favorites which works much better!).  I also still have lots in my freezer and pantry and I need to USE it instead of continuing to shop!!  (I realize this is a fortunate problem to have.)  I have been wanting to reorganize my pantry for a while, but it would be much easier if it were more empty  :)

I did plant a variety of greens in my garden over the past week, so within the next month I should be able to harvest more fresh greens from home which helps a LOT to keep me out of the store.  We have some out there now, but I have to supplement.

So, the next few days of dinners (lunches are leftovers and/or big salads for grown ups, sandwiches for girls - breakfast is eggs, yogurt, sometimes oatmeal...the girls have a small bowl of cereal while I get some coffee in my body then I cook  lol):

Tonight:  Leftover baked pasta

Fri:  Black Bean Chili, cornbread, greens

Sat:  Roasted Chicken Thighs, roasted acorn squash, kale or spinach

Sun:  Ham, mashed potatoes, greens - dessert??  - maybe a special egg casserole for breakfast that day

Mon: ?

Tues:  Shredded pork tacos in slow cooker (will be gone all day)

I'll plan some more this weekend.  :)

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

3/29  Take n Bake Pizza

3/30  Left overs  (tuna, pizza, chicken)

3/31  Saturday

4/1   Hamburgers, baked beans, Salad

4/2   Left overs - hamburgers,tuna salad

4/3   Breakfast (eggs, bacon, pancakes)

4/4   Meatloaf , potatoes, veggie (i wont eat meat hummm)

4/5   chicken nuggets/popcorn chicken, rice, salad

4/6   Chunky soup over rice - something new.. an experiment of sorts 

4/7 SATURDAY

I need to make sure we use up the produce as well this week.  I also need to plan for the 2/3-3/4 full pantry I still have.  I can 'pay' my library fines with food bank donation this month so 1 can/box = 50c (between our 2 card we are over $10 lol so that should help with the uglies in the pantry hide.gif)  

I still have ALOT of planning to do around here

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 PM

OMG I meant PANTRY!!!!!    biglaugh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post

You can do it!!!!!! Party in your panty!!!!  lol.gif

Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 AM

Panty is funnier :)

(But of course I knew what you meant!)

Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Snort.   Sheepish.gif

Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 AM

I'm in!!

4/1 - LO
4/2 - mac n cheese (homemade), broccoli
4/3 - chicken tacos
4/4 - pesto/tomato/mozzarella grilled cheese with salad
4/5 - pizza night (this is weekly, I buy frozen dough from Giant)
4/6 - LO pizza

Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

OK, 21 boxes/cans of food will 'pay' our library fines starting on April 7th.  I think I have that  LOL.  I am going to organize in there this week and probably will find extra as well.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Week of April 1-7:

Tonight: italian chicken sausage and cheese pizza, salad, carrots and celery

CP bbq chicken wings, roasted vegetables and potatoes, broccoli

CP chicken cacciatore, pasta, polenta, sauteed spinach

Pork chops, rice pilaf, brussels sprouts, broccoli

Fish tacos, black beans, corn tortillas, salad, carrots and celery

CP beef stroganoff, egg noodles, cauliflower

Hamburger steaks, sauteed onions, roasted vegetables and potatoes, broccoli

Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post

Sun:  Ham, mashed potatoes, greens - dessert??  - maybe a special egg casserole for breakfast that day

Mon: ?

Tues:  Shredded pork tacos in slow cooker (will be gone all day)

I'll plan some more this weekend.  :)

OOPs!  I totally thought *this* weekend was Easter when I bought the ham and planned to eat it.  Uhm.....so now I have no idea what I am making for dinner tonight, since I want to save the ham.  Should I freeze it or not?  It says it will be OK (sell by date is May something), but I'm not sure I want it hanging around the refrigerator for the next week.  What do you all think?

Anyway, going to have a wing it dinner I guess. 

Sun 4/2   Apple gouda sausages, potato spinach skillet hash, salad

Mon 4/3  Thai style stir fry with peppers, broccoli and beef  over coconut rice

Tues 4/4  Shredded pork tacos in slow cooker, salad

Wed 4/5   Chicken soup, bread

Thurs 4/6  Leftovers??

Fri 4/7  Grilled salmon, mashed potatoes, greens

Sat 4/8  Leftovers??

Sun 4/9 Ham, mashed potatoes, greens

Mon 4/10 White bean soup, greens, cornbread

I may change things up a bit as the week goes on -or fill in something else on the leftovers days.  It is spring break so we may eat all of the leftovers at lunch!  At this point though, all I need to buy for dinners is probably a little more chicken and some greens (plus coffee and a few other minor things, but very little).

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

art- I know ham is super cheap around here (like $1/lb) I would probably just use the ham this week and get another one for next sunday.  Like ham sandwiches, ham eggs etc.  Then again my kid LOVES ham.  Your kids are on spring break so odds are the ham will go...  It wouldn't even phase my kid we had the same 'meal' 2 weeks in a row.

But if you want to keep it I would stick it in the freezer for a few days.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 AM

Cheap Easter eggs + Cheap Easter ham + leftover anything from the fridge = yummy quiche (and freezable).  eat.gif

Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 AM

Ok, I need some motivation and drive to get myself back on track with eating at home.. Morning sickness has pretty much past (thank goodness) now if everyone could STOP getting sick Id be better at cooking at home. Of course we are probably getting sick because we are eating to much take out so making eating at home with solve the problem winky.gif

April 3- Crock pot lemon pepper chicken and rice a roni

April 4- BBQ chicken and crockpot cheesy hashbrowns

April 5- Breakfast for dinner: French toast, eggs, bacon

April 6- Pizza night (every Friday is pizza night or something similar.. It gives me one "free" night a week.. I usually buy frozen pizzas instead of making from scratch since it tends to be actually cheaper)

April 7- Fajitas

April 8- Ham or roast, baked or mashed potatoes, veggies, rolls, Easter candy hide.gif

This is all I have planned for right now. I'm in the need of a grocery shopping trip which will probably happen Friday..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Wow!! I need this!! I started a thread on coming up with healthy inexpensive meals...so now I can get great ideas from both threads!! Everything and I mean EVERYTHING you guys have posted so far sounds wonderful...please please may I have the recipes?  I am cooking challenged lol.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 AM

Hello!  This should be interesting.  We're homeschoolers, so I actually make breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner, but I'll stick to only listing dinner here.  :)  I am hoping to keep us from eating out at all this month because we've been doing that too much lately, and to also cut out the convenience foods as much as possible.  I spent this past weekend filling our freezer and pantry with a bunch of homemade alternatives.  I used to do this on a regular basis but let "busyness" get in the way.  Our food budget has been really suffering lately and my goal is to pull it back where it should be.

4/1:  Vegetable-bean soup, cheddar-onion biscuits

4/2:  Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, baked beans, leftover dinner rolls

4/3:  Pasta with meat-tomato-cheese sauce (I really should come up with a snazzy name for this dish at some point; I serve it once a month or so.), tossed salad, garlic bread sticks

Quick question for any of you who use a Crock Pot on a regular basis:  Do you have an older or newer model?  If you have one of the newer ones, have you been able to adjust your recipes for the higher cooking temps with any success?  Last year my husband thought he was doing me a favor by giving away my old Crock Pot and buying me a brand new one as a surprise and, well, grrrrr.  I'm sorry, but if the food starts *boiling* that's not slow cooking!  I've actually been popping in to a local thrift store on a regular basis, hoping to find an older, large Crock Pot to replace the one he gave away.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1970 View Post

Quick question for any of you who use a Crock Pot on a regular basis:  Do you have an older or newer model?  If you have one of the newer ones, have you been able to adjust your recipes for the higher cooking temps with any success?  Last year my husband thought he was doing me a favor by giving away my old Crock Pot and buying me a brand new one as a surprise and, well, grrrrr.  I'm sorry, but if the food starts *boiling* that's not slow cooking!  I've actually been popping in to a local thrift store on a regular basis, hoping to find an older, large Crock Pot to replace the one he gave away.

I have that issue with mine as well.. I cook things at a lower temperature for less amount of time. If it is going to be "on" all day I stir it a couple of times (which releases some of the heat and prevents the food from burning).. I miss my mom's old crockpot, that thing you could leave chili cooking all day and it was PERFECT by the end of the day.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey all! I need to get back into the meal planning mindset so here I am! It really helps me to get it all written down at least somewhere (that isn't going to get lost...) and to see all the other ideas is sooo helpful. I've just got a few things planned out for the next week. DD is home for spring break and I only want to do one small grocery shopping trip with all the kids! redface.gif But I will add on as I get there!

4/4 Eggs w/ Salsa, cornbread and salad

4/5 Homemade mac & cheese, salad

4/6 Fajitas

4/7 Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, veg

4/8 Easter--aka big lunch at DH's grandparents' with lots of leftovers for dinner

4/9 English Muffin Pizza

Technically, this is in no specific order and I probably won't eat the meals in this order. But its good to have a road map. thumb.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM

This thread is a great idea! We usually work with a meal plan for the week ahead. If we don't, my husband asks every single morning what there is to eat for breakfast. AND, my toddler has, I think, the biggest stomach known to toddlers. He would possibly spend all day eating, if he could.  So, I find that starting the week with a menu including breakfasts, two snacks (one for morning and one for the afternoon) and dinner, we have a better shot of staying on track.  Usually, we eat dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. In a pinch, there are always sandwiches. :)

So, here's the meal plan for the next week:

(tonight) dinner - homemade falafel with cucumber and hummus

4/5 - "green" eggs with toast 

homemade date balls

graham crackers with stewed cinnamon apples

bbq seitan sandwiches with roasted potatoes and steamed kale

4/6 - museli with peaches and plums

raisin rye bread with red grapes

rye crackers with cheese 

homemade pizza with green salad (hopefully from our garden!)

4/7 - eggs with tempeh bacon

carob nut balls

veggie spring rolls

black bean chili with southern cornbread

4/8 - whole grain pancakes w/ maple syrup, orange slices

steamed carrots w/ hummus

homemade bread w/ jam

lasagna w/ green salad

4/9 - huervos rancheros w/ black beans

plums with rye crackers and cheese

tempeh club sandwiches w/ fruit slices

peanut stiry fry w/ barley

4/10 - scrambled tofu w/ fruit

strawberries with cinnamon crisps

popcorn

enchiladas (black bean and sweet potato, maybe? )w/ brown rice

Maybe it seems exhaustive but it's really the only way that we avoid eating out 4x over the weekends. :(

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM

I REALLY need in! We ate way too much take-out last month w running around and such. I have a pretty stocked freezer and pantry after doing some major shopping the past couple of weeks so I'm hoping to lower our grocery bill the next few weeks

We're dairy-free veggies and I'm mostly gluten free. The odd fake meat may pop up but other then that no wheat for me.

1-Tofu thai pb noodle stirfry and salad

2-Pasta-plain tomato noodles w chickpeas for the dc and bruschetta spicy gluten free pasta w chickpeas for dh and I. Salad.

3-Slowcooker meal!!!-Rice and tofu veg sweet and sour stirfry(using the rest of the tofu/bamboo shoots and water chestnuts frm sun)

4-Potato/Cauliflower/chickpea curry on rice(using the rest of the chickpeas and canned tomatoes frm pasta) w salad (making extra steamed rice) 

5-Slowcooker meal!!!-Honey 'baked' lentils and rice in the slowcooker and salad 

6-Fried rice(using extra steamed rice) w egg and peas,veggie "chicken" terriyaki strips and green bean/red onion/almond sautee

I just finished roasting a bunch of potatoes,squash and cauliflower. So that will be the veg for tonights quick curry and for my honey baked lentil meal. And whatevers leftover for lunches

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

I have that issue with mine as well.. I cook things at a lower temperature for less amount of time. If it is going to be "on" all day I stir it a couple of times (which releases some of the heat and prevents the food from burning).. I miss my mom's old crockpot, that thing you could leave chili cooking all day and it was PERFECT by the end of the day.

*facepalm*  Okay, despite the fact that you hear all the time not to open the Crock Pot specifically because it lets heat out, I'm so embarrassed to admit it never occurred to me to do it on purpose and stir the food!  Sheesh.  That seems so obvious.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM

4/1:  Vegetable-bean soup, cheddar-onion biscuits

4/2:  Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, baked beans, leftover dinner rolls

4/3:  Pasta with meat-tomato-cheese sauce (I really should come up with a snazzy name for this dish at some point; I serve it once a month or so.), tossed salad, garlic bread sticks

4/4:  Chili and cornbread, Orange Glow salad

4/5:  Chicken casserole, spinach, spiced peaches

Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 PM

6-Ended up eating out(so busy with purging the house to maybe sell)

7-Dinner w fam-pizza they treated 

8-Dinner @ in-laws. making a mixed green salad w mandarin oranges/red onions and other stuff

9-veggie "chicken" teryaki strip stirfry w mandarin oranges,almonds, and red onion. Fried rice w peas

10-Slowcooker Meal-Tofu/napa cabbage peanut butter sauce w a grain of some sort

11-Edamame veggie toss w buckwheat noodles

12-Slowcooker Meal-kidney bean tamalie pie 

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM

4/1: Vegetable-bean soup, cheddar-onion biscuits

4/2: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, baked beans, leftover dinner rolls

4/3: Pasta with meat-tomato-cheese sauce (I really should come up with a snazzy name for this dish at some point; I serve it once a month or so.), tossed salad, garlic bread sticks

4/4: Chili and cornbread, Orange Glow salad

4/5: Chicken casserole, spinach, spiced peaches

4/6: Kids ate at church during Good Friday lock-in; Hubby and I had leftovers

4/7: Taco salad, homemade baked tortilla chips

4/8:  Ham, twice-baked potatoes, sugar snap peas, glazed carrots, crescent rolls, Oreo Cookie Pie

Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

What is Orange Glow Salad?

Oreo Cookie Pie??  please share!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1970 View Post

4/1: Vegetable-bean soup, cheddar-onion biscuits

4/2: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, baked beans, leftover dinner rolls

4/3: Pasta with meat-tomato-cheese sauce (I really should come up with a snazzy name for this dish at some point; I serve it once a month or so.), tossed salad, garlic bread sticks

4/4: Chili and cornbread, Orange Glow salad

4/5: Chicken casserole, spinach, spiced peaches

4/6: Kids ate at church during Good Friday lock-in; Hubby and I had leftovers

4/7: Taco salad, homemade baked tortilla chips

4/8:  Ham, twice-baked potatoes, sugar snap peas, glazed carrots, crescent rolls, Oreo Cookie Pie

Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Week of April 8-14:

Yesterday: ham, hashbrown casserole, asparagus, deviled eggs, strawberry shortcake

Today: fish and fries, broccoli and apples for kids, fish sandwiches and salad for adults

CP beef stroganoff, egg noodles, brussels sprouts, broccoli

Pork chops, rice pilaf, asparagus, broccoli

Hamburger steaks with sauteed onions, roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts, broccoli

CP chicken cacciatore, pasta, polenta, sauteed spinach

Fish tacos, black beans, salad, carrots and celery

Steak sandwiches, salad, oven fries

Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 PM

@zebra15:

What is Orange Glow Salad?

Oreo Cookie Pie?? please share!!

When I was a little girl (back in the Bronze Age), we called Orange Glow Salad, "Sunshine Salad."  In recent years, though, I've seen recipes for Sunshine Salad that aren't remotely the same thing.  Then a few years ago I came across a recipe for Orange Glow, and it's pretty similar, so now that's what I call it.

Orange Glow

1 (6oz) pkg orange gelatin

1 cup finely grated carrots

1 (15oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained

3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix gelatin in 1 cup bowling water until dissolved.

Add carrots, pineapple, and pecans, if using.

Pour into a 7x11-inch glass dish and refrigerate until gelled.

When I was young, we made it with lemon jello.  That might explain the difference in names.  It's a simple salad and my kids have always liked it.  If you try it, just make sure the carrots are *finely* grated.

Oreo Cookie Pie

(This recipe came from a Jell-O box.  It's definitely not something you'd call terribly healthy.  Heh.)

1/2 cup hot fudge ice cream topping*

1 Graham cracker pie crust

1 (8oz) tub whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed and divided**

1 1/4 cups cold milk

2 pkg. (4.2oz each) Jell-O Oreo Cookies N' Creme Instant Pudding

Reserve 2 Tablespoons fudge topping; spread remaining amount onto bottom of crust.

Top with 1/2 of the whipped topping and freeze for 10 minutes.

Beat milk and pudding mixes with a whisk for 2 minutes.

Stir in remaining whipped topping and spread over pie.

Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.

Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving, and let stand at room temperature to soften slightly.

Drizzle with reserved fudge topping.

*I make my own hot fudge topping, from the recipe in Dining on a Dime.  There's also a recipe at All Recipes that I have used and liked.

**It's possible to make your own Cool Whip from powdered milk and some other ingredients.  I've done it before, but I just bought a generic tub of whipped topping for this recipe.

Graham cracker pie crust

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

3 Tablespoons sugar

1 stick margarine, melted

Mix all ingredients together and press into a 9-inch pie plate.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Cool.

(Or just buy one, obviously.  Sometimes I find Graham cracker pie crusts on sale for less than it would cost me to make one.)

You could even make your own Graham crackers.  :) 

Tags
Finances , Frugality
User Tag List