Do you hand down shoes/sandals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 3 boys and we are pretty successful with saving and handing down clothes from one boy to the next.

Their sneakers usually wear out before they are outgrown (my kids are very active). But in the summer I buy them each a pair of Keen sandals, which they they wear EVERY single day.

This year, I bought my oldest a new pair of sandals, but there are hand-me-down Keens that the other two kids could wear. They are a little worn, but still usable. However, a few people have told me it's not good to hand down shoes, since they wear to the gait of the first person and therefore can be worn unevenly for the next person.

How does everyone feel about this? We do A LOT of walking and hiking, so I want my kids to have shoes that fit them well.

#2 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In the family, I think it is perfectly fine and I would encourage it, to wear them until there are holes or broken straps!  It seems running shoes, which would be used more regularly would wear out before they could be passed on ... and the sole and gait may be a concern. But other shoes, like rain boots, winter boots etc, I dont see a problem. Even though there is a 7 year difference between my kids, (and a gender difference), I had kept all of my sons baby and toddler shoes and boots and my daughter now wears them. (they were good shoes and had lots of use left)

I would base it on the condition of the shoes and how often they are wearing the hand me down shoes...but if they are comfortable and not complaining, I would be happy for a shoe to get its full life cycle.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#3 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM

I would in your situation.
I do pass down shoes with my kids and my oldest often buys used shoes from platos, so used but little wear. Don't do used shoes that are very worn.
I've found tennis shoes mold to the foot way more than sandals like keens or dress shoes.

My oldest can wear some of my shoes, especially water shoes. Neither of us have noticed a difference in the fit.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM

I hand down shoes to younger kids, especially boots! As long as the shoes are still in good condition, I say go for it! I can usually hand down sandals, sneakers my kids tend to wear out after age 3 or so.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#5 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM

My sister and I exchange hand me downs and she always includes shoes, as do I.  If they are super grubby, I'll toss them in the yardsale pile.  If nothing else, it's nice to have an old pair of shoes for camping and dirty situations.  DS is starting to wear his shoes right out, though, so I probably won't have many to pass on in the years to come.  Girls seem to have more shoes, so they last longer.  DD has lots of hand me down shoes to choose from . It comes in handy when we have a wedding or something to go to and I don't want to buy shoes for a single occasion.

#6 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 02:41 PM

My kiddos have been wearing Keens pretty much since they came on the scene (they are teens).  I have never seen a Keen mold to a foot like a tennis shoe would because the foot bed is not soft.  I would just look at the wear pattern on the bottom - if one kid walks on the inside and one on the outside - it might hurt.

I am really weird about shoes and I would pass Keens down.  Probably not a whole lot of other shoes though.

#7 of 17 Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

I have two girls and as a pp said, they do have a lot more shoes. And since I love shoes, yep they have a lot for each. My older one outgrows even gym shoes before they wear because her foot just grows and grows and grows so I have sneakers in every size from 13-4. Her gym shoes at school I will toss at years end because they wear. Maybe because her feet grow but I dont replace those- out of sight, out of mind.

I pass good heavy duty shoes on that are still in great shape after my youngest gets a hold of them. Her sandels are usually trashed by summer's end but keen launder up well so they can be passed on- to another mdc mama I know in real life. Her dd also enjoys all our outgrown winter boots, dress shoes, dresses, coats etc.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 17 Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We don't hand down the "main" shoes.  Like the sneakers they use everyday.  Mostly it's because DS1 wear each pair to pieces, plus his feet are big and wide, while DS 2's feet are narrow and pointy.  For shoes they only wear occasionally we do hand them down to DS2.  Like rubber rain boots, dress shoes that only got worn 3 times, garden clogs...etc. 

Shoes are the thing we're willing to spend a bit more on.  I almost never buy used shoes even though I'm big on buying clothes in thrift stores.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#9 of 17 Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM

My daughter and I share shoes all the time.  Not sneakers, because we both have pairs we particularly like, but sandals and dress shoes.  For instance, we have a pair of really cute red flats.  Neither of us wears a lot of red in general, but occasionally one of us will pair them with jeans and a nice shirt.  I guess it's a matter of personal level of comfort?  I wouldn't ever buy used shoes, (though I buy plenty of used clothes), but I have no problem sharing shoes with my own daughter.  I've been known to borrow my son's flip-flops to walk down the drive and get the mail, though they are several sizes too big for me, but that's only because I'm too lazy to go get mine from my shoe rack in my closet and he keeps his by the front door so he can slip them on and take the dogs out.  :)

Before my daughter reached the point where she and I have the same shoe size, we used to give her old shoes she'd outgrown to a friend for her daughter.  There were so many cases where we'd had to buy shoes for some special occasion and she only wore them once or twice.  Seems a waste not to pass those on.

#10 of 17 Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My podiatrist told me that you feel inside the shoes... if you feel the toe impressions inside the shoe, that means they are "too worn" for another child. My kids seldom wear one pair of shoes long enough to make those toe impressions. So I pass down with glee.
#11 of 17 Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It really depends on wear. You have to look in the inside (is their still cushioning? are there toe impressions?) outside (uneven wear), velcro or tight wear etc. I think it is fine to pass down shoes with light wear, i.e. party shoes. But if they have medium wear (every day use all summer from an active kid), even if they still look pretty good, I wouldn't make it the child's primary shoe.

#12 of 17 Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

It really depends on wear. You have to look in the inside (is their still cushioning? are there toe impressions?) outside (uneven wear), velcro or tight wear etc. I think it is fine to pass down shoes with light wear, i.e. party shoes. But if they have medium wear (every day use all summer from an active kid), even if they still look pretty good, I wouldn't make it the child's primary shoe.

This is also what we do.  So, if they hike, run, etc... and use the sandals daily we wouldn't pass down. We pass down dress shoes, snow boots--- things like that.  We offer other shoes to other people (who have different rules) but wouldn't accept hand me downs of most shoes.

#13 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Most of the time I only buy the kids on pair of shoes at a time so they are pretty much worn out when they are outgrown. I do pass down wellies and crocs type shoes which they only tend to wear occasionally but otherwise I buy new.

That said if I;m given hand me down shoes I don;t tend to get rid of them till the kids would have outgrown them. There have been times (epseically when potty training) where that extra pair of shoes came in pretty handy.

#14 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we decided not to hand down the Keens. I'll keep some extras around in case of an emergency (or if we're ever in a really tough financial situation), but I bought them each a new pair for the spring/summer. They do wear them daily, and they are very active! We will continue to hand down dress shoes and snow boots, since those don't get as much wear.

Thanks everyone who responded. It's interesting to hear what everyone else does!

#15 of 17 Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM

I found this interesting as we bought keeps especially because they are so durable and Lon lasting, so that we could hand them down bc we were tired of blown out sandals. Hubby and I are both large people, on year three of everyday summer wear of our Keene and they are still in as new condition, so we willingly spend the 70$ on our oldest for keens with the intent of passing them on to the three younger ones.

#16 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM

As long as they are still in good condition, I don't see why not! My kids are still pretty young, so the shoes don't get too much wear before they are outgrown, and I save them for any future children :). 

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#17 of 17 Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 AM

if they are in very good condition I hand down shoes and/or buy second hand. They have to be new looking and I have had very good luck at thrift stores finding shoes in excellent condition 

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page