Help, Help me with this challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family has chosen to take the Live Below the Line challenge. We are a family of 6, so our 5 day budget will be $45. I have am a homeschooling mom as well, so this is a great educational experience. I have started couponing and looking for the best deals at the grocery store. If you have any ideas on meal planning for 5 day on a budget of $45, please help me out.  I have 4 kids ranging from 3-10. I will need to have kid friendly meals. I make a lot of my own food, so cooking is not an issue. 

Also, if you are up for the challenge, join our family and take the challenge. We could start a thread and support each other for the 5 days. This could also help those trying to cut their grocery bill.

#2 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I frequently have 5 kids at my house to feed, mine and a friend's, & I jokingly call rice & bean bowls/bean tostadas/cheese and bean nachos the "loaves and fishes" meal - you can seriously feed a crowd with a package of tostadas and a couple of cans of beans (even cheaper from dried) plus a few simple condiments like homemade salsa (use canned tomatoes if fresh are too expensive), lettuce, etc. These are obviously kids who will eat beans. If you have a Mexican store nearby - bonus. There are many inexpensive Mexican meals that can be made for a larger group. Things like limes and tortillas are under a dollar there, dried beans and spices are cheap, etc.

The cheapest snack I make regularly is air-popped popcorn. We do put butter on it, though.

Good luck with the challenge!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Homemade bread with PB&J (open faced), sliced carrots or apple for a side.  We do cheese toast for lunch sometimes ... toast some bread, add some shredded cheese and put under the broiler for a few minutes to make it a bit crispy (top with some mustard or horseradish for extra kick) and a side of tomato soup (usually heated veggie juice with some added basil).  Melt some shredded cheese on a tortilla, add some spices and beans, roll up and eat. 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#4 of 5 Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Im SO in with you! How have I never heard of this before? We were doing really well with groceries and then I started slipping and buying more then what we need and a lot of "treats" and have been feeling a physical and spiritual drain b-c of it

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#5 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Caiesmommy,

Another good one to temporarily get back on track and use up pantry items is

http://www.simplesavings.com.au/21dollarchallenge/

I did this for a week and only spent $25 plus pantry items. It worked fine & I don't have a large pantry at all.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page