May Meal Planning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to go ahead and start this since I'm planning right now.  I need to really try to clear things out and use things up this month!  I still have a rather full freezer/pantry and the new preserving season is just around the corner  ;)

So for May so far:

Tues 5/1 Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Kale 

Wed 5/2 Apple Gouda Sausages, Sweet Potato Fries, Salad

Thurs 5/2  Thai Beef Red Curry - to use leftover beef and veggies hanging around - new dish so hope it turns out - serve with coconut rice

Fri 5/3 Homemade Pizza - GF for me - with salad

Sat 5/4  Pulled pork tacos with sour cream and avocado, salad

Sun 5/5 Roasted Chicken and potatoes, greens

That's all I have so far.  I'll work on next week soon  :)

I have a bunch of frozen fruit - apricots and cherries mostly.  Not sure what to make.  I don't really need more jam, I don't want to make TOO many desserts, and although I love smoothies, it isn't really warm here yet, so we're not really craving them.....Any other ideas?  I know, I'm being picky.  I should just get into the smoothies.  It is hard when it is cold though!

Hopefully Zebra will join in once she is settled in the new place and anyone else who wants a place to plan things out!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#2 of 31 Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM

Apricots and cherries would both go well with chicken or pork if you are trying to avoid too many sweets.  Apricot-mustard chicken is on my list actually.

I don't menu plan for each day but I made a list of things to make.  Today I made spaghetti sauce, lentil soup and black beans cooked and into the freezer.  My kids have multiple food sensitivities so I am trying to do better about getting food into the freezer to shorten my kitchen time.  Veggies are included based on what I have on hand where not listed.

Creamy broccoli soup

Taco bowls

Arroz Con Pollo x2 to freeze

Sausage (x3 to freeze), hash browns, smoothies

Pasta with olives, chicken and spinach

Chicken soup

Stir fry

"peanut" noodles (we use sunbutter)

Burgers/ oven fries

Pizza (I'm going to try freezing some crust to see how it does since it's GF/EF/ Yeast free)

Chicken salad  over lettuce

meatball sliders (x3 meatballs to freeze)

coconut curry with chickpeas, carrots, peas(x2 or 3)

Pot Roast with carrots and potatoes (x2)

Spinach, zucchini lasagna (x2)

Shrimp scampi

Honey mustard chicken salad

BBQ beef with slaw (x2)

mustard apricot chicken

I also want to make pancakes and carrot muffins to freeze once I get my GF flours.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#3 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 AM

I'm in! I'm running low groceries and we aren't going shopping until sun. Should be an interesting couple of days

May 1-Broiled tofu w pb sauce. Coconut rice w peas. Sauteed bok choi & green beans w a braggs/cumin/corriander seed honey sauce

May 2-"breakfast for dinner" baked eggs w olive,tomatoes & mushrooms in a toast cup w breakfast potatoes

May 3-Slow cooker meal-Veggie bean soup using up some leftover tomato sauce & veggie juice. Potatoes a carrot soft celery and a dried bean mixture. Possibly making ww bread in the breadmaker or noodles in the soup.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#4 of 31 Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 AM

I did grocery shopping on the first and hubby went to Sam's club the next day.. Now I have a TON of food in my house thumb.gif And NO reason not to cook all our meals at home!

5/2- Tuscan Pasta

5/3- Leftovers

5/4- Spaghetti

I need to pull out my meal plan and see what else we have planned orngbiggrin.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 31 Old 05-04-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post

Fri 5/3 Homemade Pizza - GF for me - with salad

Sat 5/4  Pulled pork tacos with sour cream and avocado, salad

Sun 5/5 Roasted Chicken and potatoes, greens

OK, changed things a bit. 

Thurs 5/2 shredded beef tacos (instead of thai beef curry), salad

Fri 5/3 Crepes and salad - greek filling and ham/cheese filling.  maybe dessert ones, too (making a huge batch of almond flour crepes right now!)

Sat 5/4 leftover beef tacos, quesadillas for the girls

Sun 5/5 pizza (GF for me), salad

Mon 5/6 Roasted chicken, roasted potatoes, greens

Tues 5/7 Thai chicken curry with coconut rice

I may move things around again because we have some leftovers that need to be worked in somewhere.  Probably at breakfasts/lunch, but if not, we may do another leftovers dinner.

#6 of 31 Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM

First time posting in one of these. Here goes:

I don't plan by the day but bi-weekly.

This is what I've got so far for dinners and enough leftovers for lunches.

tacos w guac and salsa

pasta

greek pasta (this is a recipe I made up consisting of spiral pasta, chunks of chicken, peas, kalamata olives, feta, and greek vinaigrette. Toss together and voila! dinner.)

wings with fries(had this last night, will eat as lunch tomorrow)

meatloaf with mashed potatoes

salmon patties

chicken caesar salad (this was on tonight's menu but dh worked late so we'll likely have this tomorrow. I had leftover tacos from a few days ago.)

chicken stir fry

beef stir fry

shrimp stir fry

greek cinnamon roasted chicken (inspired by an old greek woman I once met and Kat Cora's recipe online)

brats w kraut and fries

roast

chicken fried cauliflower rice

shrimp fried cauliflower rice

The sides for the next two weeks will depend upon what looks good and what's on sale and we always have salads.

I'll update when I begin planning 5/18-6/1.

#7 of 31 Old 05-05-2012, 10:28 AM

My dinner selections for the coming week:

Tonight: Grilled bbq chicken, potato packet with brussels sprouts, corn on the cob, broccoli and fruit

Grilled salmon and asparagus, wild rice pilaf, broccoli and fruit

Shrimp tacos, black beans, salad, raw veggies and  fruit

Breaded tilapia sandwiches, sweet potato fries, artichokes, raw veggies and fruit

Shrimp and veggie pasta, salad, fruit

Turkey burgers, corn on the cob, oven fries, raw veggies and fruit

Thai red curry with salmon and veggies, quinoa, kids have waffles, fruit, sausage and eggs

Grilled beef and veggies skewers, grilled potato packets, broccoli and fruit

Veggie pizza, salad, raw veggies and fruit

Ricotta gnocchi, pesto or marinara, broccoli

Since this is a new month, here's our typical eating habits:

Breakfast: Kids: cheerios/egg/fruit, toast or bagel/egg/fruit, Adults: green smoothies with whole milk greek yogurt

Lunch: Kids: sandwiches (pb&j, turkey&cheese, grilled cheese, bagel&cream cheese), triscuits with turkey and cheese, fruit, raw veggies, Adults: mostly leftovers, lettuce wraps

Snacks: homemade muffins and breads, wheat pretzels, pirate's booty, tortilla chips, string cheese, fruit, raw veggies, raisins, dried cranberries, whole milk yogurt

Drinks: water, milk, sparkling water, coffee, tea, wine

#8 of 31 Old 05-06-2012, 01:26 PM

Ok Meal plan for this week:

Monday:

Breakfast: Egg and Bacon cassarole with fruit

Lunch: Tuna sandwiches and veggie sticks

Dinner: Split pea and ham soup

Tuesday:

Breakfast: eggs in a basket

lunch: Baked beans and biscuits or leftover split pea

Dinner: Sloppy Joes

Wednesday:

Breakfast: German Pancakes, sausage and fruit

Lunch: Chicken strips, mac & cheese, veggie sticks

Dinner: Tacos

Thursday:

Breakfast: Yougurt and granola

Lunch: Leftovers

Dinner: Southwest Corn Skillet

Friday:

Breakfast: Breakfast burritos

Lunch: Chicken noodle soup

Dinner: Island kielbasa with rice and veggies

Saturday:

Breakfast: Peanut butter and chocolate chip muffins

Lunch: leftovers

Dinner: leftovers

Sunday:

Breakfast: Amercian Fritta

Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sushi

Dinner: Salisbury steaks with mashed potatoes and veggies

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 31 Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Tonight: beef and veg kabobs, red potatoes, brussel sprouts, corn on the cob, swt potato fries and apples

Tomorrow: ds's 6th bday! Family lunch with cold cuts, cheese, french rolls, raw veggies, fruit, chips and fresh salsa and maybe a mediterranean style pasta salad. Dinner will be corn dogs and mac n cheese, ds's request :)

CP chicken cacciatore with veggies, polenta, sauteed spinach, wheat pasta and fruit

Grilled salmon, wild rice, mixed green salad, broccoli and fruit

Shrimp tacos, black beans, salad, raw veggies and fruit

Pork chops, roasted vegetables, broccoli and fruit

Breaded tilapia sandwiches, artichokes, swt potato fries, raw veggies and fruit

Quinoa pasta with shrimp and veggies, fruit

Turkey burgers, corn on the cob, mixed green salad, raw veggies and fruit

Waffles, fruit, eggs, sausages for kids/Indian curry chicken and veggies, quinoa for adults

#10 of 31 Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Zebra is here !!  Living in very temp housing (mother is like Jekyll and Hyde) so I need to find a job FAST.

Not much meal planning going on but not much shopping either since I don't have a pantry so access to much of the kitchen.

I love reading what you all are cooking and longing for the day I get my own apartment and can cook again.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 31 Old 05-13-2012, 02:16 PM

Zebra- I am so glad you got moved ok!  Yay!  

I could use some ideas for kid friendly lunches that don't have to be cooked that aren't super high in carbs.  We have been doing so many spelt biscuits and peanut butter lately...  I really only like to cook one meal a day....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#12 of 31 Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

I could use some ideas for kid friendly lunches that don't have to be cooked that aren't super high in carbs.  We have been doing so many spelt biscuits and peanut butter lately...  I really only like to cook one meal a day....

Can you do a fruit/veggie tray?   Soup, leftovers, grilled cheese, quesadillas,   stuff like that for lunches?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 31 Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I often do *no cook* lunches on the weekends when we don't have a lot of time.  Like Zebra mentioned, I will cut up fruit and then add some baby carrots.  If I'm *really* lazy, then I just add a piece of string cheese, some crackers, almonds...pretty much anything in the fridge! 

Other add-ons: hummus and pita chips, tuna salad and WW crackers, black bean/corn salad and tortilla chips, celery sticks with pimento cheese spread (yum!).  DS loves plain yogurt with mango and honey.  You could always do a batch of smoothies if they didn't have them for breakfast. 

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#14 of 31 Old 05-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Update:

Turkey burgers, artichokes, potato salad, sweet potato fries

Tilapia sandwiches, artichokes, potato salad, sweet potato fries

Shrimp veggie pasta, spinach

Salmon, asparagus, rice

Bbq chicken, roasted potatoes and vegetables, asparagus 

Chicken curry, madras lentils, quinoa

Crab cakes, asparagus, cucumber and tomato salad, corn

Turkey tacos, black beans, corn tortillas, salad

Ricotta gnocchi, pesto or marinara, salad

Salami and veggie pizza, salad

#15 of 31 Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

argh, I have had a really hard time planning and sticking to a plan!  We don't end up 'eating out', but I end up buying more than we really need at the store, and sometime produce gets wasted.  I'm determined to make a dent in my too full freezer / refrigerator in the kitchen and minimize grocery shopping.  I'm getting a decent supply of greens from the garden now, so that helps me reduce trips for sure.  Hubby is home this week so I have to think a little more about lunches - at least by making sure there are more leftovers from dinners

so, for this week so far:

Mon 5/21 thai shrimp fried rice (w/ leftover coconut rice) - use up veggie bits

Tues 5/22 Roasted chicken legs, roasted rosemary potatoes, kale  **soak pinto beans overnight

Wed  5/23  Pinto bean, kale and cheese burritos w/ corn cakes and chive sour cream, big salad

that's as far as I've gotten but I'll be looking more closely today to see what else I can make.  I know I can also make pasta, tuna nicoise sandwiches, pork chops, shredded pork, whole roasted chicken, ground beef something or other....just have to decide on a timeline so I am prepared (i.e. with thawing, soaking, have any extra ingredients).

#16 of 31 Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:

What about eggmuffins?

My son loves them, and they are def. not high in carbs. orngbiggrin.gif

A quick Googlesearch will get you tons of recipes. I use eggs, a little milk/cream, leeks, bacon/some kind of meat, red bell peppers, a little onion and garlic. Spices. Very good, very easy and a great lunch.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#17 of 31 Old 05-25-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post

Mon 5/21 thai shrimp fried rice (w/ leftover coconut rice) - use up veggie bits

Tues 5/22 Roasted chicken legs, roasted rosemary potatoes, kale  **soak pinto beans overnight

Wed  5/23  Pinto bean, kale and cheese burritos w/ corn cakes and chive sour cream, big salad

Wed 5/23 apple gouda sausages, potato pancakes (with leftover mashed potatoes), salad

Thurs 5/24  Pinto bean, kale and cheese quesadillas, salad

Fri 5/25 lunch - corn cakes with chive sour cream, leftover beans, kale  dinner - pork chops, roasted rosemary potatoes, salad 

Sat 5/26  lunch - tuna nicoise sandwiches  dinner - Grilled salmon, mashed potatoes, salad  **maybe an apricot blueberry crisp for dinner if I have time - if not Sunday!

Sun 5/27  lunch - salmon salad    dinner - burgers on the grill, salad, skillet potatoes with kale

Mon 5/29  lunch leftovers - maybe beans, whatever else needs to be eaten, salad  dinner - roasted chicken, roasted potatoes, greens

I'll sit and plan some more on Sunday.  I need to get a better look in the barn freezer so I know what I need to use up (I have an idea, but I need specifics  :)  )

*I made a few changes since we decided to grill salmon tonight  ;)

#18 of 31 Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 PM

I decided to bust out my big crockpot again.  For some reason I don't like using it- but I have to get more efficient.  So yesterday morning I threw a chicken in the crockpot and whipped up a meatloaf for lunch.  Then that was all I had to do for cooking for the day :)  My DH has started eating lunch here again- so I have to have something super filling for him- and that means cooking I guess.  But he can't work 12 hours and eat a pb and j.  Today I made a big batch of bacon and pancakes with strawberries for lunch and we had fried potatoes, cheese, and leftover chicken for the kids and meatloaf for DH and I.  I really must create a menu in detail- maybe a 2 week rotating one.  I can't keep having it be 5 pm somedays and realize that we have to eat supper- yet again....  So I am for sure up for a June thread :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#19 of 31 Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Past few/next few days:

Tues 5/29 Spaghetti (GF), salad

Wed 5/30 Pinto bean cakes with lime sour cream and salad

Thurs 5/31 Roasted Chicken, rice pilaf, kale

Fri 6/1 Steaks on the grill with chimichurri sauce, potatoes, salad  (**make chicken stock)

Sat 6/2 Chicken veggie soup, bread  (for everyone else)

Sun  6/3 Shrimp Po Boys sandwiches, slaw......

I need to make some 'bars' for the girls to snack on this weekend and maybe some other snacky things.  I haven't checked for a June thread (had this open since last night!) but I will join if someone starts one!  

#20 of 31 Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM

I think I have turned a new leaf :)  5 days of crockpot and planned meals!  And that gives me energy to actually wash the dishes after supper- so I wake up happy too!  

We have had roasted chicken, meatloaf, pot roast, bbq pork chops- all in the crockpot!  I love it!  I don't love the smell of it cooking- but I love the lack of dishes (since I have just been throwing everything in there and hoping for the best :)  

anyway- tonight is leftovers, tomorrow I will grill hamburgers for lunch and homemade pizza for supper.  I think maybe stir fry for sunday if we are home (we usually go out for lunch then though)

#21 of 31 Old 06-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We are short on funds this pay period, so we bought a few things to go with what we have. We are making Firefly Gruel (brown rice, shelled barley, white wheat berries all cooked together - awesome plain, even better with butter, milk, syrup, cinnamon sugar, or a combination therein), Red Beans & Rice with garlic smoked sausage bits, Black beans (to smoosh up and eat on tostadas with rice, sour cream, cheese), Breakfast bakes (eggs, cheese, bacon crisped and chopped, veggies - mixed together, frozen, bake for supper), refrigerator bread dough...

We looked at the meal plan with our <$30 of groceries and decided that we are still eating really good!

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#22 of 31 Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Eh yesterday went as planned but today mom treated us to lunch and then we had a leftover/popcorn supper (our Sunday night family movie and popcorn night).  

I need to put some thought into this coming week cause I did really good last week and need to keep the progress going :)

#23 of 31 Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM

I'm feeling so behind and unorganized lately. My ds is out of school already and it's throwing off my weekly routine. Trying to get back on track this week with my meals (and my exercise!). As usual, my kids always have fruit and will have either broccoli or raw veggies.

Yesterday: tri tip steaks, grilled veggies, pesto pasta salad

Today: made the kids sausage, noodles, broccoli and apples, dh has a late meeting at a pub and it bringing something home for me

Salmon burgers, oven fries, artichokes

Shrimp tacos, black beans, corn tortillas, salad

Bbq chicken, roasted potatoes and vegetables

Chicken cacciatore, wheat pasta, quinoa

Salmon, wild rice, broccoli

Indian style curry with shrimp, chick peas and veggies, brown rice

Brat sausages, roasted potatoes and vegetables

Ground turkey and black bean chili, cornbread, salad

Breaded tilapia sandwiches, oven fries, artichokes

#24 of 31 Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 AM

I just finished up a meal plan for up to the 13th (when we will go shopping again).. I included breakfast, lunch and dinner since just planning for dinner doesn't work over here.

Breakfasts (combo of these, making things whenever I run out of leftovers orngbiggrin.gif) Includes fruit and some sort of protein

Chocolate chip muffins

crock pot oatmeal

french toast

homemade pop tarts (Sunday's breakfast since our church starts so early its hard to squeeze in breakfast)

eggs in a basket

coffee cake

Monkey bread

Lunches (again combo, making things whenever I run out of leftovers)

chicken rice and broccoli

Cesar pocket

BBQ chicken sandwiches

pb and j sandwiches

chicken Quesadillas

homemade corn dogs

Dinners

Tacos

meatball casserole

Mexican chili mix and Frito's

sloppy janes

chicken and rice

island kielbasa

sloppy joes

twice baked potatoes

spaghetti

leftovers

Snacks

mozzarella bites (homemade)

energy bites

monkey munch

cut up fruit and dip

cut up veggies and hummus

#25 of 31 Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I love using my slow cooker for large batches of dried beans!  I cook 2lbs at a time and then usually freeze some of them for later.  They cook perfectly on low all day without fallling apart like they often do when I do them on the stove top (where it is harder to get the temp just right and they sometimes get too hot).  I soak them right in the crock overnight, then just rinse them and start them up in the morning.

This morning I made the mistake of grocery shopping with an empty stomach and only a vague plan.  I spent way too much and still don't really know what I'm making for the next week.  This afternoon I am sitting down to make a more solid plan.

I was thinking when I finish it, I will start a 'summer meal planning' thread - how does that sound?  Then we can keep it going a little longer.  I definitely need to keep using what I have as much as possible and avoid mishaps like this morning.   (Nothing I got will get wasted, but it irks me that I spend all of that $ and don't even know what I'm cooking for dinner  irked.gif ).

Brees_Mama likes this.

#26 of 31 Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Yesterday I squeaked by making enchiladas and then chuck steak and veggies for supper.  Today my plan is to fry hamburgers for lunch and then I think I am going to put some chicken veggie bean kale soup in the crockpot for supper.  My midwife is coming this evening for an appointment and I would like to have something to feed them when they are here.  DH is bummed that my appointment got changed since we had plans to go out- but this will work out just fine.  I am going to make some spelt biscuits to go with and that should be pretty good I think :)  I am about completely out of my good flours though and have to wait 2 weeks to get more from the food coop.  All I have left is enough spelt for the biscuits tonight and then we are down to hard white and hard red wheat.  I made an angel food cake last night with hard white and that cake turned out hard....  I must restock my freezer and am so irritated that I forgot to order those last month!  Soooo- probably not much fun baking and I should get to making bread I guess- but we really like spelt and the wheat tastes so wheaty....  

I am going to try making some chicken cord on bleu roll ups/ shepards pie/ and chicken pockets for the freezer this weekend for when the baby comes and at least have a general idea of what we are going to eat quickly..  I am so fortunate that our church brings meals out for a week- but I like to save those for when the kids are all home cause they get to spend a week at my moms immediately after I have the baby. So I need to plan for that first week for DH and I :)

#27 of 31 Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 PM

hi i was wondering how to make those homemade pop tarts. My son likes them and i just hate spending that kind of money on something so unhealty.

thanks

pollyanna

#28 of 31 Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post

hi i was wondering how to make those homemade pop tarts. My son likes them and i just hate spending that kind of money on something so unhealty.

thanks

pollyanna

Heres the recipe I found: http://sorumblyinmytumbly.blogspot.com/2011/12/homemade-pop-tarts.html .. I haven't tried it yet but when I do Ill post how it goes. My kids have only had pop tarts once and that was thanks to my FIL who thought it was "a great healthy snack" eyesroll.gif but they loved them.. If this recipe goes well I could see making it like once every couple months as a breakfast treat. Our church starts super early (well 8am, which isn't super early but getting the kids looking nice and out of the house by then can be difficult) so Im looking for quick meals that we could take with us if necessary.

#29 of 31 Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 AM

thanks i will try it i like the fact you can make them any flavor. unlike buying them yo are limited to what the company makes. this will be fun

#30 of 31 Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:

Yesterday I squeaked by making enchiladas and then chuck steak and veggies for supper.  Today my plan is to fry hamburgers for lunch and then I think I am going to put some chicken veggie bean kale soup in the crockpot for supper.  My midwife is coming this evening for an appointment and I would like to have something to feed them when they are here.  DH is bummed that my appointment got changed since we had plans to go out- but this will work out just fine.  I am going to make some spelt biscuits to go with and that should be pretty good I think :)  I am about completely out of my good flours though and have to wait 2 weeks to get more from the food coop.  All I have left is enough spelt for the biscuits tonight and then we are down to hard white and hard red wheat.  I made an angel food cake last night with hard white and that cake turned out hard....  I must restock my freezer and am so irritated that I forgot to order those last month!  Soooo- probably not much fun baking and I should get to making bread I guess- but we really like spelt and the wheat tastes so wheaty....  

I am going to try making some chicken cord on bleu roll ups/ shepards pie/ and chicken pockets for the freezer this weekend for when the baby comes and at least have a general idea of what we are going to eat quickly..  I am so fortunate that our church brings meals out for a week- but I like to save those for when the kids are all home cause they get to spend a week at my moms immediately after I have the baby. So I need to plan for that first week for DH and I :)

Sounds like my flour dilemma. We're gluten free but I buy spelt for DH. I run out of GF flours so fast and am running low right now. I'm down to 1 small bag of brown rice flour, a couple cups of tapioca starch and no white rice flour.

Spelt biscuits sound yummy! I made spelt pizza last night for DH and GF for the kids and I. It's such an easy flour to use.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page