Budget advice RE: Furniture - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We need to get our 3yo dd out of our bed. She has outgrown her toddler bed and getting her a "Big Girl" bed, I'm hoping will entice her into her own bedroom.  Plus, we have NO swing space right now when family visits - so the idea is to get her a trundle bed that will double as a guest room for when DH's family comes to visit (very frequently. RIght now it is VERY inconvenient to have overnight guests. And actually, we have three nieces coming to visit mid-July, so it is adding to the urgency on my part to get this squared away!)

Our financial situation is finally feeling more stable, but we are still in debt repayment mode and are starting to think about saving for a downpayment. We've been in financial "lockdown" for a couple of years but we are finally able to consider tithing, signed the older girls up for dance camp, are considering a summertime pool membership, are going to a wedding in August. Are we getting too lax with our finances??

We can cashflow all of this stuff, but it will slow down our debt repayment a bit. Honestly, I'm sick of feeling like life is on hold. And if we are not taking on more NEW debt, I'm starting to feel like it's time to live a bit. (Justify much?)

Anyway - got sidetracked a bit. I could probably put some stuff on craigslist and come up with a couple of hundred bucks, but the real question is...do I "settle" for a piece of furniture bcs it is inexpensive and then have it follow me around for the next 10 years, maybe having to replace it bcs I don't LOVE it? (we do have nice furniture...even our "just for now" furniture- which has turned into forever furniture bcs of finances-is stuff I really like). Or do I splurge on the PERFECT bed? My two older girls are in a bunkbed. It's...fine.  But I feel like I got robbed of having the perfect girls room. And I found a bed now that I LOVE.  Now's my chance! Except it doesn't feel financially responsible :(

We'll have to get two new mattresses (I won't do used for mattresses), but won't have to get a boxspring I don't think.  Could probably get away with not getting the pop-up trundle unit yet (although I found one one overstock for less that $150). The question is the bed. My dream bed (well, my GOOD ENOUGH dream bed - ) is $500. Would you do it??  Or buy the Bob;s Discount trundle that is "meh". I have also looked on Craigslist and ebay, but trundle beds are not so easy to find...

#2 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My DS had a 'trundle' under his bottom bunk, we never got the mattress but used the frame for storage. The bunks came with the 'trundle' was part of the total set.  I've never had a problem finding the extra 3rd bed/trundle when looking at kids furniture.  Granted they are not pop up trundles, nor are they cheap.

I totally understand your need to loosen the reigns just a bit on spending.  I would get something that is going to last your DD.  However what a 3 yr old likes and what a 13 yr old likes are 2 totally different things, ya know?  My DS didn't need a box spring with his bunk, they came with bunkie boards.- BUT I did need to get a 'better' mattress for him.- so it all evens out financially in the end.

In my ramblings, what I'm trying to say is: get what you need, what what you want, but don't be afraid to keep shopping around.  You can order what you need, it may not be on the showroom floor.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 AM

I think your answer is in your post! I know what you mean about wanting to live a bit. Maybe allocate a certain amount of monthly money for debt, pay every month. (pay more when there is more cash), and then budget a bit of fun money / mth. When you save enough of that, get the bed that you want. Rather then getting off track with the repayment.

IF it were me, I would spend less on the bed frame; I would find a practical, solid frame to take the kid to 18. And get a decent quality mattress. And then try to make it pretty over time.  Are you crafty? ...there are a ton of DIY headboards to make - plywood and foam and a really sweet fabric to cover.

http://pinterest.com/pin/249105423108426122/

Mind you, I never liked trundle beds, but a set of twin beds. Cute! Perhaps a futon for guests?

http://pinterest.com/pin/242631498645089032/

(fyi Ikea has less expensive priced trundle beds, but not so useful if you dont live near one. westelm has a simple bed frame for 150.)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  Just to clarify, when I say "trundle bed", I'm referring to a regular-looking twin bed that is high enough off the ground to accommodate another mattress. Which is not as easy as you'd think! My girls' bunk can accommodate a trundle underneath it, but only if I compromise the headheight of the lower bunk (does that make sense?)

I'd LOVE to do two twins, but the house we're in right now can't fit that configuration. Love the look of that pic on pinterest! 

This is the bed I wanted to get... do you think it's too babyish for a teen? That's a god point - I hadn't really thought about that...

LE149930R_zm.jpg

#5 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 AM

I think the bed is very pretty and would grow with the child.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#6 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

This was the other one...haven't seen it in person, so don't know if it looks "cheap" up close and personal...and it's very similar to the bunk beds (not sure if that's a positive or a negative) It's half the price.

Brook Youth

#7 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honestly I prefer the cheaper one. I truly think it's more "grown up" looking.

Here's the way I would look at it. Are you going to hate it every time you look at it? If your going to be bitter then go with the more expensive.

What I would do(not that it matters muchwinky.gif) is buy the cheaper and invest in some nice bedding and a few throw pillows and a couple decorations around the bed. Still saving a ton of money(especially if you look for bedding sales). Maybe a nice framed monogram on the wall above the bed.

http://www.creationsbykara.com/2010/08/framed-monogram-diy-decorating.html (hope that works)

I honestly don't believe the actual bed makes as much of an impact as the surroundings. A nice throw and a couple of cute pillows can make a salvation army find look like a million bucks...not that I'd know *cough cough*Sheepish.gif

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#8 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

That framed monogram is super cute! Love that blog! Is that you??

#9 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM

LOL, I prefer the cheaper one as well.  Of course, basically my entire house is IKEA so I'm not exactly an upper end furniture shopper.

OP--- Each person needs to find the right *balance* for them between paying off debt/ saving and enjoying their money now.  I would just encourage you to make sure whatever decision you make--- have it be an actual *decision.*  I think the worst thing you can do is just let things happen to you (so, if you want to spend the money, decide to spend it and have a plan for it, don't just start randomly throwing money out because you're so tired of living frugally).

#10 of 22 Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't spend a lot of extra on a bed.  I get it though- because I have wanted to before.  I too get tired of living frugally.  I mean I KNOW that everyone I know has way nicer furniture than we do- but I also KNOW that most of them financed it.  You aren't- which is good- but that is lost momentum!!!  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#11 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

How many months would it take to save for the bed you really want through cash flow?  A little each month toward the "bed fund" so that your payments to debt don't get off course.  Yes, your daughter needs to be in her own bed since you have decided it is time.  So earmark the money to make it happen.  DH and I actually started an ingdirect.com savings account and then opened several to create funds for things that don't happen often, but can deter us from debt pay off - we have the "Christmas fund", "birthday fund", "new bathtub fund", "immigration fund", etc so we have earmarked our savings - otherwise it was too easy to say "oh, we have this month in the bank, we can swing this new object, vacation, etc".  Directing our money to something specific has been helpful for us.  Maybe it would work in this situation too.

I second the second bed you posted - it looks like a "big girl" bed and would look good as a teenager bed too.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#12 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

I do need to set up an ING account.  I love the idea of having separate savings accounts. I know I could do it in a notebook, but it doesn't feel quite as official. I am a very visual person and tend to be pretty by-the-rules, and I think something like that would make it much easier for me to see the ramifications of my spendy urge. I need to check with my bank and see if they charge transfer fees -their new fee schedule is  a little confusing.

The second bed that everyone seems to prefer is "only" $250 - not including mattresses. Wouldn't take long to save for at all. Esp. if I got my act together and posted some stuff on Craigslist! My biggest hang-up about it is that it looks very similar to the older girls' bunkbeds...is that a valid hang-up?

#13 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM

I don't have much to add to the previous advice, which I think is pretty good.

BUT had a bed-fudging ideas I thought I'd add for you in your decision-making.  Going with your less-expensive bed frame, you could cheaply add some finials to the bed similar to ana white's method  for the daybed plan (She uses curtain finials, and you just screw them onto the bed frame.  Something simple like that might turn your cheaper bed option, or something you find for even less on craigslist, into something more like the bed frame you like a little better.  Might be enough for you to feel better about the choice, and only $20 more.)  

#14 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina47454 View Post

The second bed that everyone seems to prefer is "only" $250 - not including mattresses. Wouldn't take long to save for at all. Esp. if I got my act together and posted some stuff on Craigslist! My biggest hang-up about it is that it looks very similar to the older girls' bunkbeds...is that a valid hang-up?

That would actually make me feel more prone to buying it.  Then one isn't obviously better/ different than the others and it could bring a nice feeling of continuity to the house.

#15 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

That site makes me want to fire up the power tools! Do you think that by the time you purchased all the materials you'd end up saving any money?

#16 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:

That site makes me want to fire up the power tools! Do you think that by the time you purchased all the materials you'd end up saving any money?

Not with the medial bills added in lol.gif

cristina47454 likes this.

#17 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Ha ha.  I know - I've had delusions of me & dh building beds and media centers ('c'mon dh.  It's so easy, we can totally do it, she said so!') yet I think our patience at the moment for doing it with young kids around just can't take it.  And I recall times when we tried to fix other things together eyesroll.gif.  

I do find great small tips I can use there, though.   

#18 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

cristina, the other reason I like ingdirect for savings is that it takes a couple days to get the money back from them so it stops "splurge spending".  If I am going to make a purchase, then I can plan for it.

I love the Ana White daybed plan. 

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#19 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 AM

Monogram is super cute...not my blog but I'm planning on doing the monogram with an old frame of my great aunts for our new house...whenever we get it...sigh

I LOVE the day bed...LOVE it!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#20 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Oops. Can't delete.  Sorry!

#21 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

Ha ha.  I know - I've had delusions of me & dh building beds and media centers ('c'mon dh.  It's so easy, we can totally do it, she said so!') yet I think our patience at the moment for doing it with young kids around just can't take it.  And I recall times when we tried to fix other things together eyesroll.gif.  

I do find great small tips I can use there, though.   

LOL. This sounds like dh and me.  He has been super handy in the past, so I get really excited about projects like this, only to realize halfway through that we are both short on patience and time.  And then it sits undone which frustrates me bcs I feel like a nag, and...well, sometimes it;s just better to fork over the money and avoid the marital stress :)

#22 of 22 Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes! DH agreed to build the daybed! Now i need to make sure I actually like it as much as I thought I did when i thought he'd never go along with it! And I kind of think...if he's willing to build THAT, why can't I design a bed (using the same basic build instructions) that I REALLY REALLY LOVE?? I am imagining that this can only end badly....

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page