Get out of Debt in JUNE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you want to get out of debt? Start living on a budget? Be able to start saving? Then this is the thread for you! Some of us use Dave Ramsey's method but please join us even if you're following someone else/your own plan. All are welcome!

Here's DR's plan:

Pre-Step 1: Get current on your debts and do a budget
0.1 No new borrowing.
0.2 Talk with spouse and get him/her on the same page as you concerning finances.
0.3 Do a written budget
0.4 Temporarily stop all retirement contributions
0.5 Get current on all the basics (Shelter, Food, Utilities, Basic clothing)
0.6 Amputate "toys" (bikes, boats, ATV's etc) to help snowball
0.7 Cut lifestyle (Cut cable, cell, extras, eating out) and/or get a second job to raise $1000 EF.
0.8 Get current on ALL bills

BS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
1.1 Chop up/freeze CC's (You have an EF now)
1.2 Get Health insurance NOW if in the US
1.3 Get Life insurance NOW if you have considerable debt/your family couldn't make it financially if you died.
1.4 Amputate cars that you can't pay off within 24 months

BS2 Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
2.0 Do the debt snowball, paying all your debts from lowest BALANCE to highest.

BS3 Three to six months of expenses in savings
3.1 Start car replacement fund
3.2 Save up 20% for home purchase OR pay down existing mortgage to the point you can drop PMI.
3.3 Start furniture or other non-essential stuff replacement fund

BS4 Invest 15 percent of household income for retirement

BS5 College funding for children

BS6 Pay off home early

BS7 Build wealth and give! Invest in mutual funds and real estate

Here's the link to Dave Ramsey's website: http://www.daveramsey.com or if you want a good DR discussion forum, http://www.llnoe.com is good but hardcore. Gail vax Oxlade's Til Debt do Us Part is great tv show, very motivating. Her website is:http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog Others like Suze Orman or Mary Hunt, really doesn't matter whose method you use, just start the process to getting out of debt

Welcome.gif

Started a new one, as I couldn't find one for this month--hope no one minds :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

BS 2 here.

As of this Friday:

Debt 1 paid off $18,000

Debt 2 $3227 (can't be paid early)

Debt 3 $34,000

Debt 4 in negotiations $2,000-$2,500

BS 3: 2+ months

BS 4: 10%

BS5: nothing yet

BS6: 11 years on mortgage

BS7: someday soon!

My husband for the first time ever is seriously considering getting a summer job! Woo-hoo!!! Can't even believe we are at this point in our lives, but he has the potential to earn more $$$ than I do so that's the plan for now. Would love to pay off Debt 3 by this time next year and some extra income would help immensely.

#3 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I was just about to do the same thing - start this June thread.  I wonder if eirual's baby came?  She was due for June but I didn't think it was this early.  She hasn't logged on in 6 days.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#4 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 AM

I am so excited about this month.  DH has 3 pay period.  So far we have snowballed our 3rd debt - no more Macy's credit card - don't need to shop at that expensive store anymore.  Paid it off yesterday.  We may pay off our 4th debt - best buy - but we are waiting until after we see the reproductive endocrinologist next week before we do that.

DEBT SNOWBALL GOING WELL!  I can feel the momentum.

I also have taken on a summer teaching job - starts on June 18 and the first pay for it is June 29 so I am looking to save/pay off bills with it.  Oh and this weekend I am supervising a college entrance exam so I will get a little extra money from that too.  June is looking good!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#5 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No baby yet (though it could be any day....due June 16th). We MOVED though!!....hence the being off-line. Thanks for taking care of the June thread because it was the FURTHEST thing from my mind (I thought of it on May 28th and not again since).

No financial news for us really; we'll be able to manage this new house for the next 2 months just fine. When DH goes back to school and I stop receiving my mat-leave top-ups from my employer is when we'll start sweating. We should have a renter coming in and childcare starting which will keep us in the black for the year, but I hate to count my chickens before they've hatched.

It does feel so good to finally have some space to breathe though. I'm happy we decided to take a risk and buy a house, even though it could potentially be more than we can chew financially for this year (banking on a. renting a room b. doing childcare to bring in cash and c. just making it work....because on paper it's messy, but we somehow always manage to figure something out). 

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#6 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM

Glad to hear you are in your new home, eirual, before your baby comes.  I forgot you were moving.

The debt snowball feels so good to get one debt after another gone.  One less thing to worry about!

#7 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Is there any reason why this thread won't pop up in my list of "Your Recent Activity".  I have obviously posted to this thread, but it still doesn't show up.  What do I need to do to fix that?  Never had the problem before.

#8 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Maybe try actively subscribing? Usually it auto subs you once you post, but I guess that didn't work for you?

I just got notice that I didn't get a TA job for summer. I knida saw it coming, what with recent district-wide budget cuts, but I'm still kinda disappointed. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do over the summer. We could survive on just DH's income and my EDD, but it would be tight and we really want to take 2 vacations in August. So now I'm trying to figure out how to bring money in over the summer. I only really need to net a total of $1000 for the entire summer to make it work, though more would certainly be nice.

I've considered getting a summer job serving tables, because I did that through college and have plenty of good experience and a strong resume for it, plus I live in a tourist-heavy area so there should be spots opening up for summer. But as soon as I started looking, I started to get the dreaded Server Nightmares (in which I have about a million tables spread throughout a huge restaurant, most of which are waiting on food or checks, and I can't remember where any of it goes, and usually I'm just about to serve the owner or some other VIP guest and generally just hate life and wake up all stressed out, lol) So maybe that's not the best idea.

I'd love to be able to get a temporary part-time job doing something that would improve my resume in the education field, so i'm checking out tutoring and daycamp or daycare type stuff, but I am afraid that those places have already done their Summer hiring.

Fingers crossed that something comes through.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#9 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Well, I changed the subscription to "Get notified when others reply? Immediately" so I will wait and see what happens.

I know I am teaching at a local community college with a "Upward Bound Program" for high school students.  If you are certified as a secondary teacher, you may be able to find work with a program like that.  It helps high school students who are potential first generation college students to be better academically prepared.  I did it last summer and loved it.

#10 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM

As always, I am optimistic for this month!

BS 1: $650 of $1000 if we stay on budget, this should be taken care of somewhere mid-late month

BS 2: $7800 - My student loans, just making minimums at this point

$7700 - My car payment, just making minimum at this point

$19,000 - DH's student loans, in deferrment, not even thinking about them at this point

BS 3: 3 months

BS 4: like, 3% lo!

BS 5: no movement here

BS 6: we rent!

BS 7: in a million years, I think.

We are anticipating some life changes within the year that we want to have a lot saved for.  DH may get laid off, he will be student teaching, my employer may be selling... so we're uncomfortable not having a goodly amount saved up incase things turn downhill.  Hopefully it will all work out and this time next year, I'll be paying off my car and a big chunk of my student loans.  DH will be applying for income based student loan repayment and based on what I have calculated, it won't cost us too much.  Also, since he will be a teacher, he should qualify for loan forgiveness after 10 years of payments versus 25 years, so we may not make any big movement on them any time soon, especially since they are deferred for another year and half at least.  Thank goodness!

#11 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM

homeschooling has kept me busy as it's the last week of school here! Aggresively saving has left me pretty low on cash this week. Can't wait for direct deposit to come through at midnight because top ramen isn't on my diet, gah!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#12 of 38 Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 PM

i have been in trying to cut expenses since last sept. got a second job to start the process. i moved twice and am now paying 140 dollars less in rent. and i'm closer to work so have cut my gas expense in half also.

list my big bills

car payment still own $3700 on it paying 240/m but both car payment and rent due same check so they allow mw to split my car payment between my 2 cks a month. and on my 3ck monthes i make an extra payment.

my other bill is my student loan still owe $2400 paying 50/m just paid 4400 off this past spring with my tax refund will pay everymonth and pay it off with next yrs tax refund.

so i have

325/m rent

240/m car

90/m insurance

100/m gas

50/m elec

50/m student loan

30/m internet

20/m phone

25/savings (saving for car inspection/registration)

#13 of 38 Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 AM

Pollyanna, it looks like you are on your way to better spending habits.  Having a cheaper place to live that decreases your transportation costs as well is huge!

This morning, "My Recent Activity" has worked itself out and the things that I have post in have appeared.  I didn't do anything "different" to make it so, expect restart my computer and come back the next day.

#14 of 38 Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 AM

Lilac, I was having the same issues with recent posts, and now it is fixed for me as well. So it wasn't your computer.

And poly, lilac is right. Lower cost of rent and transport are Huge improvements that will make a big difference!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

#15 of 38 Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM

Makes me frustrated to live in Ca. To lower my rent to the same as Polyanna I had to move into an RV!

Glad to finally have some groceries so I can get back to my low carb diet. It is almost impossible to eat low carb from your pantry as most of my diet consists of refrigerated food. My check was $150 less then I had calculated (my error) so I am really glad I did a side job for $150. Waiting for that check in the mail. I was able to fill up my gas tank with $50. I hope that lasts a couple days.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#16 of 38 Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM

thanks guys i have been trying hard. And it is hard to break that cycle of spending on credit. I started following a blog that has helped me a bit 'the simple dollar'. and when i need help staying on track i just read a bit and it keeps me focased on what i want to acomplish. I still don't have the emergancy fund i want but i can pay my bills and i'm training to become a manager at work to get a better pay rate.

trekkingirl i live in a small moble home has 2 bedrooms and one bath needs work but 325 is a good rent it is 4 mls from my mom's so i can drop my son there while i work. when i moved down here i lived the next town over so i commuted about 50mls per day now it is 25mls round trip.

thanks or the positive feedack on my expenses

pollyanna

ps excuse my spelling not my best subject and my computer doesn't help when it decides to miss letters :)

#17 of 38 Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM

We are going camping this weekend and I've given myself a budget of $40... including any canyon entrance fees, food, gas, treat, etc.  I will be able to use a lot of food from home and obviously I can use a bit of my grocery budget, but it's tricky! I plan on making some cookies and trail mix from home.  We actually have lots of fruits and veggies sitting around that need to be eaten up, so I'll take those as well.  It's just so hard to avoid vacation mentality and go to the store and buy a whole bunch of treats and stuff.  We haven't been camping for 4 years and need some new equipment, but I've been good and borrowed stuff from my dad and will just make do with what we have... but I really want to go buy a new air mattress and camp chairs... and fishing poles, and hydration packs, and hiking shoes.... and whatever else.  Lol! 

I'm being good, but it is HARD!  Summer is SO hard!

#18 of 38 Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM

I was very proud of DH this morning. He has a vacation coming up next month and he said this morning that he wants to do activities from home instead of staying somewhere! That's huge for him.....thumb.gif

#19 of 38 Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

As of today:

Debt 1 paid off $18,000

Debt 2 $3227 (can't be paid early)

Debt 3 $34,000

Debt 4 $2,500ish (DH is writing the check today and this monkey will be OFF.OUR.BACKS!!!

Now to clean up a little current debt, $3,000 hospital stay and $1,500 house repairs, and will attack Debt 3 next month!

#20 of 38 Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM

that's awesome sarafi

#21 of 38 Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Isn't it great to see progress being made?

From when we started tackling debt about 3 years ago we have managed to deal with a surprise pregnancy, bouts of unemployment and under-employment (DH and I STILL have not both been fully employed at the same time since he arrived in the US over 3 years ago!) and yet we have managed to do the following:

UCLA bill--$1500.  FULLY PAID

Credit cards--$25,000. Almost 93% PAID! and the remaining $1,850 is at 0% interest

Refrigerator (ours broke!)--$800. 70% PAID! This is at 0% as well

My Bike (old one was stolen and we don't have a car, so I needed this!)--$350. 30% PAID also at 0% interest

Student Loans--25,000. Ugh. This one has been on deferment FOREVER which is absolutely HORRIBLE and I hate it, but we continue to have problems with getting the IBR set up, and in the meantime I've had them deferring it. I'm pretty sure all of the problems with the repayment plan have FINALLY been resolved, and we'll begin paying around $100/month on this some time this summer. I'm hoping to apply for a loan forgiveness program once I start teaching, so hopefully that will help get rid of some of it.

I still haven't found summer work, and school is out this Friday. I should be feeling more panicked than I do. Unemployment and DH's checks will cover all of our necessary expenses, but I'm kind of in denial about how much we are going to have to cut out of our budget/fun money if I don't find a way to bring in extra cash over the summer.

#22 of 38 Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 PM

I just posted two photos of DH in the fathers day photo contest over in the parenting forum. DD really wants a kindle fire and she has been saving and saving. If I win the contest I get an amazon card. I doubt I'll win but it would be cool to be able to get her the kindle. She is almost there without the help though. I'm really proud of her. If you guys are interested, go hit the thumbs up button on my photos! Sheepish.gif

#23 of 38 Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

((lurking for inspiration and motivation))

Keep up the great work Mamas!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#24 of 38 Old 06-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Paying off debts feels so good!

Last night we paid off debt number 4 three months earlier than we had planned.  Feels so good.

Also got paid for my summer job before I even start teaching so I am able to get some much needed clothing that I keep putting on hold but my undies from 3 years ago are in need of the trash.

#25 of 38 Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 PM

mine too!

#26 of 38 Old 06-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Went shopping yesterday - 2 new shirts, 1 set of pajamas, a pair of swim suit shorts, fabric for a dress, a shirt, and two baby dresses (for baby showers coming up).  Didn't find undies I liked at a price I was willing to spend.  Ugh.  Will keep looking.

DH also bought me a pair of jammie bottoms as my surprise "birthday gift".  I kept telling him I wanted to go shopping and find something I liked for my birthday.  He bought the jammie bottoms on the sly for me while I was in a dressing room trying on bras.  No deal on the bras but he was able to buy me a "surprise gift" which makes him happy.  In my family, we always knew what we were getting for birthdays and Christmas often because it was handmade and hard to hide the sewing machine in the living room or the woodworking in the garage.  DH's family has everything as a surprise.  I just roll with it.

#27 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 AM

I'm totally dropping the ball this month. bag.gif

Going to try some new strategies for July (prioritising budget...I heard DR talking about it on his show when your income's inconsistent. Decide what you MUST pay firstl, then put your likes in a priority sequence and make it as far down your list as possible with the funds you have coming in). I think it will help me realize I want to save more than I want some random impulse buy and end up short in the end.

Groceries have also been killing us lately. I used to spend $100/wk and now I can't seem to get it under $140. I think I'm going to try to calculate the cost of each meal and really think through snack food/lunch extras.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#28 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Jumping in here!

On our way to being debt free!  I'm going for the 5-year plan.  

$500 in Emergency Fund

5 store cards and 1 hospital bill PAID OFF!   Hooray for snowballing!

4 more store cards, 2 loans, and 3 CCs to go.

Made some phone calls today:  

Got 1 loan down from 13% APR to 4.25% 

Got 1 cc down from 27% APR to 6%

Got another cc down from 20% APR to 8.75%

Got another cc down from 14% APR to 0%

And negotiated all of these with set low monthly payments!

I know we can do it.  No more messing around.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
#29 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hip Hip Hooray! for Dave Ramsey:

Unfortunately we are back to baby step 1. We were debt free except for mortgage but had 2 things come up, 1 out of our control and 1 in our control but we went for it anyway. Now we are back to having a car payment $150/month, and an interest free payment on our new flooring that we got I think it is $150 also. Sooo looking forward to paying them off BUT I don't know how else we can cut back. We have low low low amount of bills and cost of living. Making $2600/month and only use $800/month for gas-groceries-spending-etc. It always sounds like a lot until I get it in hand.

I suppose our debt #1 is flooring = $1,800

Debt #2 is car = $5,000

Debt #3 is house = ??$115,00??

I guess $6,800 isn't a ton but it is about $6,800 more than I would like us to have.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#30 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 05:21 PM

A five year plan is better than no plan at all!  Good thing you have a plan.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page