Real Estate Agent Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure this is the best board to ask this question, but I have gotten excellent advice on here so far.

We are in the midst of negotiating to buy a home and will then be planning to put ours on the market. 

We have worked with the same real estate agent for many years (he helped us buy the house we now own). He has always worked for a nationally recognized broker.

Today he informed us that he will be starting his own real estate business. I suppose that is great news for him, but I wonder where it leaves us. 

We are comfortable using him as our buyers agent for the house we are bidding on (although the offer may have to be re-submitted now). 

But we are concerned about listing our home with him. Rather than having the for sale sign from a nationally recognized broker, we would have a sign on our front lawn from a new agency that nobody has ever heard of. I'm assuming this would be a disadvantage, but might there be any advantages? 

When he worked for the broker, we were going to be charged 6% in fees. I don't know if this would change if he's working on his own, but would that be something we could try to negotiate? We would be one of his first listings. 

He has helped us a lot over the years, and we would like to remain loyal customers. However, we don't want to suffer a huge financial loss from this or have our house sit on the market for longer than necessary. 

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

you can always negotiate fees. Worse case he says no. With Internet searches these days, agents are almost irrelevant when it comes to searching for houses. Agents are only really valuable in the negotiation period and recommending inspectors etc if you can;t find one yourself. So if you really trust the guy to get YOU the best deal, then stick with him.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page