SNAP Benefits between jobs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family is relocating to another state and my husband, a teacher, will not receive a pay check for the month of August. The district he worked for pays once per month, on the last day of the month, so he will get his final check on July 31st. His new district also pays once per month, but starts the cycle one month later, so no check until the end of September. July's check covers August's bills, but come September 1st we will be in a pickle.

Is it possible for us to get food stamps for that month he will be without pay? We will qualify for WIC and reduced lunches in the new place, but I am unsure of how to apply for that until he gets that first pay stub at the end of September; his salary in our current state puts us just over the line but when we move he won't have an income. I have enough put back to cover rent (due Sept.1st) but help with food would be amazing!

#2 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 03:05 PM

yes when we moved out of state we went to the welfare office right away to get foodstamps.  since we didnt have an income yet they got them to us within a week

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would go ahead and apply for WIC during your income-less month.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

yes when we moved out of state we went to the welfare office right away to get foodstamps.  since we didnt have an income yet they got them to us within a week

How far back did they look for income?  One month?  Three months? 

#5 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

From what I can find, it looks like they will go off of the previous 30 days of income, so I'm not sure if we'll get any help.

#6 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 PM

they looked at the last 8 weeks.  i had just been  paid my last paycheck which included my vacation pay. they still gave us emg foodstamps because we didnt have an income at the time

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 11 Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 AM

My experience in Florida is iffy in this situation.  They do look at the past 30 days of income *paid*, so the gap for the month may qualify you for food stamps.  However, in Florida, it can take up to 30 days to go through all the hoops to get approved.  With kids, I think they try to lessen that to ~15 days.

I'm Brooke!  I'm a breastfeeding advocate and IBCLC.  Homeschooling mama to my girls, Maiya (4/2009) and Jenevieve (2/2011) and my new baby boy, River (9/6/2013).

#8 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

My husband just received his last two checks (June and July) from the district. Hopefully with this being the last time he will get paid until the end of September we will be able to qualify for assistance for August.

#9 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Can you get any kind of documentation that he will not be paid in the next month? A letter from the old district saying he is no longer employed there?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we have a letter stating his last day of work and that he is no longer employed in the district.

#11 of 11 Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I think you will be eligible for benefits. Apply as soon as you can - different places take longer to complete the process. Good luck!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page