Let's Share Budgets!! PLEASE?!? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in a very large house 3000 sq ft home... Our mortgage is $370 a month. That doesn't include the taxes which are 1k a year or home ins. which is about 1k a year as well.

Income $4000 to $5000 it varies month to month.

Power:$135 (We are on the budget)

Phone/Internet/Dish:$183

Groceries:$800

Insurance: $112 (this is life and car)

Gas: less then $100 a month

Heating: $200 (On the budget)

Trash:$25

Cell: 115

#32 of 47 Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I live in a very large house 3000 sq ft home... Our mortgage is $370 a month. That doesn't include the taxes which are 1k a year or home ins. which is about 1k a year as well.

Wow! How did you find that?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#33 of 47 Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM

I found this thread so interesting!

Monthly income- ~4000

Mortgage (incl insurance and taxes) 1396. We have a plain 1980, 1600sq home, which is luxurious for us after a tiny apartment.
electricity 100
internet/tv 100
cell 80
food 600
clothing and household items 200
car insurance 35
gardening 200
home improvements 200
gas around 50

retirement savings and health insurance are pre-tax. im not sure what isnt adding up, but we usually save around 1000/month. we just spent 8000 on a new heat pump.

WAHM to Sofia 12/09 and angel1.gif 4/13

"If you want to be happy, be."  Tolstoy

familybed1.gifviolin.gifBFPChart2.gif

#34 of 47 Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Wow, We definitely live in a high cost of living area.  I know that, but it's a whole different matter to really see the numbers!  

Income:  $5,500 per month

Mortgage: $2,450 + $667 property tax per month.  We pay 2/3rds of this ($2,078) - co-own with my Mom so we could afford (barely) to buy here.  House is a 3 bed/2 bath rancher with nothing fancy and there's 3 adults, 1 teen, 1 mid kid and a baby on the way.  The exciting part is that we have 5 acres and live a 15 minute bike ride to downtown.  Not many get that around here.

$55 phone/internet

$90 cell phones (2)

$100 ($270 in winter) electric and gas

$28 garbage/recycling pickup

$600 car loan (2 cars)

$150 auto insurance (2 cars)  - Having 2 cars is new due to the fact I'm pregnant and need to be off the bike for almost a year - roads are too sketchy to ride if I'm not in tip-top shape

$220 gas

$60 home insurance

$100 pledge to kid's public school - because we cannot seem to fund our publics school in CA anymore!

$295 music and dance lessons for 2 children

$900 - $1200 Groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies, anything that you get at the farmer's market, bulk coop purchase or grocery store (higher number right now 'cause of pregnancy, but I still cook most food from scratch)

$200 - $300 hay, alfalfa, chicken food, cat food (higher in summer when grass is dry, like right now)

$200 clothing (includes dance slippers and recital costumes, shoes, biking rain gear for mom and kids as well as work and play clothes)

Health insurance is paid pre-tax so not included in this list, but runs us about $1,500 a month for generic Kaiser HMO coverage.

No savings and running a deficit right now because of payments to midwife.  (which costs the same as a hospital birth would under our insurance plan)

#35 of 47 Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Wow! How did you find that?

It is over 100 years old and we have replaced EVERYTHING but the foundation! We are still working on it almost 9 years later. But in the end it will be way cheaper then most homes.....not sure if it was worth all the blood sweat and tears though???  You can get a lot for your money around here.....But you need to travel to work.

#36 of 47 Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 AM

Interesting to see everyone's budget and how each family is making it work. After mortgage, water, electric and $450 per month in groceries for a family of 5 we have about $250 leftover, but we drive yucky old cars so we have no car payments and we don't have credit card debt.

#37 of 47 Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 AM

I am really enjoying this thread, it's very helpful for me right now.  My husband was recently promoted and it came with a raise and I am trying to be very mindful of not spending away the "extra" money.  Also, we are trying to pay down some debt and save for a down payment on a summer camp.  We were all set to buy one this summer, but we've decided to wait a year (or more) and pay a large down payment.

We own our house and car so we don't have to make payments on those.  We don't have cell phones or cable, we use magic jack ($30 per year, I think?) and Netflix. My husband works 2 mi from home and bikes most days, I use public transportation. 

Monthly income:  3500

Property taxes: 150

Emergency Fund/Savings after we hit $2000: 300

Heat: 110

Elec: 125

House Insurance: 50

Netflix: 8

water/gas/sewer: 40

Internet: 45

Bus ticket: 18

Misc Car fund: 50

Car Insurance: 77

Groceries: 400

Entertainment: 50

Homeschooling supplies: 50

Animals: 75

Debt: 1000 ish or whatever the balance is until paid off (by end of summer) then going to savings and down payment fund

flowersforyou.gif

#38 of 47 Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a weird mortgage- right now it is $500 a month. But soon it will go up.

Mortgage- $500/mo

Home/ Car ins- 140

Electric- 150

water- 40

Student Loans 250

car/home maintence- 100

food- 400

cellphone- 150

gym- 30

life ins- 67

clothing- 30

propane- 80

credit cards- 60

Eating out- 100

The rest goes to savings or paying off bills

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#39 of 47 Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Water: $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

Water 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Water: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post

Water:$60

Wow!  I think we spend about $180/yr on water.  Sometimes I wish it was more so that people would be more cautious about how they use water.

This thread makes me realize how different things are in different areas.  We pay about $3300/month on mortgage (2300 sq ft, purchased at a great time in 1999), and spend at least $2500/month on food and we don't eat any (any!) meals out. I also grow almost all of our potatoes and winter squashs and we raise our own chickens for meat and eggs.  Depending on the year I can grow much more of our food, but not this year.  Our property taxes are almost $7k a year and  I wrote out more than $1200 worth of checks to the public school for field trips, events, etc that took place during the school day this past year.

Our day to day expenses are about $4k a month (that is a typical cc bill- $2.5 is groceries, the rest is gas, kids activities, clothes, sports stuff, new earbuds, etc.)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#40 of 47 Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Keep in mind that in many areas, "water" is way more than water; for me it is also trash and sewerage. Our water runs about $150 every other month, so $75 a month. we are a family of five, eat all meals at home *except lunch at school, which means running the dishwasher at least once or twice a day, we wash clothes twice a week and everyone takes a bath and shower every day (I have three teens and a husband who takes two showers a day). We don't have drought issues in my part of the country, and the bulk of my water bill isn't really water.

This thread is interesting. My husband was in and out of work for 3 years due to the oil spill. In Febraury he found a good job, okay pay, but it was steady. Last month he started a great job with amazing benefits (fully paid health, vision and dental insurance for the whole family!) that will allow us to cancel the policy through my school and will save us $500 a month. He also received a nice raise, and I will be getting a modest one and a merit pay bonus. Prior to his job loss, we were awful at managing money. The three lean years have taught us much better habits (we used to eat out 3-4 times a week, now it's once or twice a month at most). I'm working really hard on a realistic budget that will allow us to save, pay off debt, yet still splurge once in a while. This year all three of my kids will be in Catholic high school, so that is our biggest expense. My son graduates in May and has already qualified for the free college tuition offered through our state, so our expenses will actually go down as each child graduates. I'm thinking of doing the envelope system for food and fun money- leaving the bank account for the bills, etc. I'm also going to open a second checking account as a sinking fund- I had never heard of this before until I read it on this site. Before, we would just charge those types of things, but we have gotten rid of all credit cards. It will be nice to know we have the money to cover those type of expenses.

#41 of 47 Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Our situation changed a lot, DH got a promotion so we fixed up our house, sold it, moved out of state, bought another. We live in the country now. Here's the new budget:

Income: 4000 ish

Mortgage, tax, and ins: 950

Student Loan: 115 (8k balance)

Credit Cards: 1200 (6k balance)

Auto Ins: 80

Church: 200

Food: 700

Gas: 125

Electric: 150 to 450

Internet: 50

Water:50

Cell: 80

Clothes, Homeschool, Household, etc with whatever's left.

#42 of 47 Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Here is how our budget falls out:

Rent -- 895

Utilities -- 110

Internet -- 55

Cell phone -- 60

Food/household stuff -- 1000

Gas -- 120

Student loan -- 111

Everything else -- 700

Our 'everything else' category is a catch-all.  It covers clothes and shoes, eating out, random bills, car registration, oil changes, co-pays, eye exams, whatever needs we have....I have a more complicated break down of it in an excel file.  Some months we need to pay for the car tabs, so we buy no clothing.  Some months, the kids need shoes, so we don't go out.  This month, we are going camping, so our tent fees and snack money comes out of this category.  Next month, I will use this money to do 'back to school' shopping. 

The food budget is monstrous, I know.  We are a family of 6 hungry people and even with all of my cooking from scratch, I can't seem to get it much lower. 

This adds up to about $3,000 or about $36,000 a year.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#43 of 47 Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The USDA says you do well as long as you're under $1200-1400 a month for a family of 6 (depending on child's ages), that's what they call moderate. I use that to justify those weeks I pay $150 a week sometimes, they still call that thrifty for us. Food costs are going up, we are careful but you can't deny inflation.

#44 of 47 Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Yeah, I don't really sweat the food bill.   Every time I go grocery shopping, I look over the food I bring home -- bulk bags of rice, beans, oats, milk, eggs, veggies, fruit, a loaf or two of bread, chicken.  There is no processed junk, very little boxed food, no expensive cereal. 

We do splurge on good beer and I think fruit can be expensive and my kids will eat 4 or 5 pieces of fruit a day.  I don't limit them, but I have been shopping more carefully in the produce aisle and not over buying. 

But really, it just costs a lot to feed a larger family and I am okay with it.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#45 of 47 Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Mortgage/taxes/ins: $644
electric: ~$100
gas: ~$20-80
water/trash/recycling: $38
Internet: $40
phones: $84
student loans: $180
car: $365
credit card min. payment: $200
piano: $120
violin (semester not monthly payments): ~$100
aikido: $80
medicines: $40-400
netflix: $15

That leaves us almost no money for food, but I get child support (that's the only way we can afford extracurriculars for the kids) to cover that.

savings: $0

I'm taking classes, so there are tons of incidental fees and the above doesn't count car insurance/registration/other crap. But hopefully when I'm done, I'll be able to work part time to cover the rest.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#46 of 47 Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM

For a family of 5 we spent about $800 a month on food and anything that I would buy at Super Walmart or Bj's.

#47 of 47 Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We are a family of one adult and 3 kids and we spend $450 a month in food and some months, it's pretty slim pickin's towards the end of the month.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page