Can I make this work? Budget help, please! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you told your grandparents what is happening?  I mean, my gran set up a trust for us that we couldn't touch until she died, but if i'd called her and said "i have $1200 to see me for 12 months and i can't get food stamps because of the stock in my name, i will be homeless unless you transfer the stock to yourself or let me sell it" then she would have done SOMETHING, even if it was just to take it out of my name.  In fact i did inherit a little when she died, and it was enough that i'd still qualify for the benefits i was on BUT because i already had savings (in case of emergency, as you say) it took me over the limit and i was able to put it into a friend's account to avoid that.  If i hadn't been able to i'd have withdrawn the cash to hide it, i would have ultimately starved if i'd had to lose my benefit.

#32 of 35 Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 AM

See if you can get a job at a small cleaning company. There's lots of "green" ones around now, and in the smaller ones you can actually make decent money, and have the chance for a flexible schedule. (say, cleaning one or two houses a week if they just need someone to fill in, or whatever). I did this for awhile and it was worth my time way more than picking up hours at a shop or something. I know of ones that pay $20/hour. Or you could always just do it yourself, and charge whatever you like to clean someone's house! It's just kind of nice if it's through a business because you don't have to deal with as much bs, at least that was my experience haha. Good luck, you sound awesome. Also I really hope you get the child support you deserve, it's ridiculous how it's able to slip through the cracks in this country... disgusting!

#33 of 35 Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A nice case worker would be able to accept a letter from your grandparents stating that you do not have access to the stocks, so that the value wouldn't be counted against you. Operative word there was "nice".

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#34 of 35 Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well, and getting that letter from my grandparents (without forgery ha) would be downright impossible. They are anti-government assistance. If I ever get any assistance, I do not plan to tell them about it.

#35 of 35 Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Can you message me to verify what state you live in. I am a caseworker in PA and the resource limits are more than$2000 here and not everything is counted.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page