Websites for cheap wedding dress? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm SO happy, dp and I are getting married this fall. It will be a private ceremony and a simple reception/party at our house. I've been able to figure out how to do most things on a budget, but I would like to find a cheap dress. I am scouring the thrift stores but no luch so far. I do look on ebay and etsy, are there any other sites that are good? Thanks!

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#2 of 34 Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Congrats!  It's looking likely that I will have a wedding on my hands before too long as well!  I also want to do things pretty low key, and I read a great tip about ordering a bridesmaid's dress in white or ivory as a wedding dress.  

I've been looking at Alfred Angelo dresses, as they available in heaps of colours (inc white) and have found several that I thought would be suitable for what I'm after.  I don't know about the pricing in the states, but here in Oz, the BM dresses range from about $150 - 300.  I daresay they are probably cheaper in the US.  (Actually, just looking on the US site, it says from $99 - 179!)

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#3 of 34 Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 AM

I was in a wedding 20+ years ago where the bride rented her wedding dress. It was beautiful - and certainly a lot cheaper than buying.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#4 of 34 Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got mine from David's Bridal -- $99 rack. I don't know if there's a David's near you, they do have a website & if you go to the "Sale" section & sort by price (lowest to highest) there are under $100 options. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_Bridal-Gowns-Sale___lh Their in-person options are better & more plentiful though (or at least they were 7 years ago when I got mine!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 34 Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM

Also, don't be afraid to check out prom gowns (at places like JC Penney's), a lot of them won't work but you might find something just right and way cheaper than a designated "wedding" dress.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 34 Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM

I wanted a black wedding dress and I ended up with the perfect dress, I think it cost my Mom $80 because it was a discontinued prom dress, I got it at a "formal event" store. I always see a lot of wedding dresses on craigslist for cheap, you have to check often to find your size and one you like, but I have seen them for as little as $30 because a lady was mad because she had just divorced the person she married in it.

joy.gif Congratulations!!! joy.gif

#7 of 34 Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I got my wedding dress from a bridal store but it was a bridesmaid dress and I had it made in ivory.  It was easy because they did all of the alterations and the dress was very pretty.  I don't remember how much I paid, but it was very reasonable and all of the real bride's dresses were way too frou-frou for me to be happy with them anyway.

#8 of 34 Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM

I had a Jessica McClintock dress for my wedding. I believe I paid about $250 for it seven years ago but the prices don't seem to have changed. you might also check Craigslist - there are great deals there since people post dresses after they've worn them for their weddings.

congrats, also!

Pepperdove and saanmilv like this.

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

#9 of 34 Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the advice! I do have a David's near me, I didn't know that they had 100 and less gowns, I'll definitely check it out! And I will scour the stores for evening/prom dresses, and I don't want a traditional "puffy" gown. I am fine with ivory or silver, so maybe I'll get lucky! 

#10 of 34 Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamrose View Post

I had a Jessica McClintock dress for my wedding. I believe I paid about $250 for it seven years ago but the prices don't seem to have changed. you might also check Craigslist - there are great deals there since people post dresses after they've worn them for their weddings.

congrats, also!

also did a mcclintock dress for around $200.

maybe try consignment stores

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#11 of 34 Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Just another vote for David's! They have some $99 dresses in the store and also a bunch on the website. I got my wedding dress from the website for $99 and I felt so beautiful in it.  One thing I'd recommend is going to a store if you can and trying on some dresses to get an idea of the sizing, especially if you're ordering online.  I found that my bust caused me to have to size up more than I originally thought.  It was worth the trip for me because I knew to size up when I ordered my gown online.

Congratulations!

#12 of 34 Old 08-02-2012, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
#13 of 34 Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Ahh one more thing I thought of, watch out for alterations. For some reason the dress I picked out needed alterations (probably all wedding dresses do) and minor repairs... the alterations were way more expensive than the dress itself! So it would probably be worth it to settle for a second-best that fits well than your absolute favorite that would need a few alterations. Everyone in my family sews but because of the layers of lace and beading and delicate fabrics we wouldn't have been able to hem or fix or alter it ourselves.

#14 of 34 Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM

Wow!  Stuff is so cheap over there... Jealous.  

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

#15 of 34 Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'm hoping to go shopping next weekend, our local JCPenny is closing and having big sales so maybe I'll get lucky there! And the tip about alterations is helpful, I am going to get one that fits, or at most just needs to be hemmed.

#16 of 34 Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
#17 of 34 Old 08-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I bought my wedding dress from J Crew (five years ago) for $200.  It was on sale, down from $300.  Right now they don't have any on their site under $300, but I would keep a look out because they do go on sale!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#18 of 34 Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Here we have a consignment shop or two for formal and wedding wear.  You might want to check a place like that.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#19 of 34 Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I wish we had a nice consignment shop here! I'm not in a small town, but the shopping choices here are lacking, which I don't usually mind as it's good for the budget, lol. I am going to the thrift stores again today, and I also found out that Goodwill has an auction website shopgoodwill.com where I have found a few cute and inexpensive dresses; I'm just trying to find one NOT online so I can try it on. 

I went to Davids Bridal and they did have some affordable dresses, however the sales people were so incredibly rude that I will never go back there and am completely turned off to them and all of their products :( I need to write a letter. 

#20 of 34 Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Try www.preownedweddingdresses.com there are some bargains on there -- including mine! :)

#21 of 34 Old 08-18-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks that is a great site! I tried on a few gowns at the thrift store and am totally frustrated with sizing, lol. I don't understand how the measurements say one thing but it fits totally different. By most measurements, I am an 8 (10 bridal). But most 8's are too big, even though they claim to be 34/36 bust and 28 waist. Ugh. I'm going to keep trying! So frustrated.

#22 of 34 Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 PM

That's what I'm saying, they all need alterations!! Crazy!!

#23 of 34 Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post

Thanks that is a great site! I tried on a few gowns at the thrift store and am totally frustrated with sizing, lol. I don't understand how the measurements say one thing but it fits totally different. By most measurements, I am an 8 (10 bridal). But most 8's are too big, even though they claim to be 34/36 bust and 28 waist. Ugh. I'm going to keep trying! So frustrated.

Oh I think 34/36 bust and 28 waist is a size 6 nowadays, maybe even 4 for some brands. :) Unless it's a vintage dress (then it's size 12).  When I go to thrift stores I usually check dresses from size 1/2 up to size 9/10 racks as they all might fit size 6.

I suspect many used bridal gowns have already been altered and "let out", that's why they're a big bigger than the size tags?

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#24 of 34 Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I found one! I'll post a pic when I have a chance! I found it at the thrift store, no size label, fits great. I think it was made in the 80's, the only label is the "union made" one; but the look is more vintage, it has a 30ish feel to it. It's lace, mermaid style, off-white. I am SO HAPPY! And the grand total........7.99!

erigeron likes this.

#25 of 34 Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 PM

Fantastic!  Sure cannot beat that price!!!

#26 of 34 Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM

Congrats! I also just got married a month.

#27 of 34 Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

Congrats!  It's looking likely that I will have a wedding on my hands before too long as well!  I also want to do things pretty low key, and I read a great tip about ordering a bridesmaid's dress in white or ivory as a wedding dress.  

I actually bought a bridesmaid dress in ivory when I got married.  It was a very pretty floor length dress.  I loved it.  And I spent much, much less than a real bridal gown would have been

#28 of 34 Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 AM

Wow, this thread popped back up!  I've been married almost three months, and as it turns out, I brought a dress from Etsy, made to measure. 

It cost less than $200, including shipping to Australia, and people raved over it.  (The grooms outfit was more expensive than mine!)

#29 of 34 Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Totally just stalking by to say... congrats milk! And I miss you!

Oh, and my best friend got married in May in a dress she bought at Goodwill, too, and you never would have known it!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28**32***36***40** Oct 2014 it's a
#30 of 34 Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

also did a mcclintock dress for around $200.

maybe try consignment stores

My McClintock dress was 180, I think? Best decision ever.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page