Best prices on real Maple Syrup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids eat enough pancakes and waffles to make it a necessity to buy real syrup even though we are on a REALLY tight budget.  I scored a big jug on sale at Shoprite last month reduced from $18.99 to $12.99 & wished I could have bought more but we didn't have enough $.  That was MapleGrove Farms brand.  

We have family in VT that we see periodically but even buying local there, I didn't get that great of a deal.  Our Northern NJ farmer's markets carry the same stuff from VT & NY that our stores carry & the prices aren't any different.

I would prefer to be able to buy it somewhere that will allow my EBT Snap card too.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#2 of 18 Old 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I buy mine at BJs, best price I have found.  I tag on someone else's membership because the other prices at that store are high and I wouldn't buy a membership myself.  Trader Joe's sells a mix of agave syrup and maple syrup and it is cheaper than their maple syrup.  I also bought some organic agave syrup at BJs and now I mix them together which brings down the price a bit more.  The agave is thicker so I may start watering the mix down a bit before I serve it.  Also, I keep a close eye on how much they use because I really, really hate washing that stuff down the drain. 

#3 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Amazon often discounts maple syrup in major promotions, worth tracking.

#4 of 18 Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM

I got a big bottle at Costco for like $12.99. However, I have used sucanat to make like a simple syrup..and you can add maple extract to flavor. It is still a better option than the crap that is NOT maple syrup and tastes just as yummy smile.gif

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

#5 of 18 Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 AM

Do you have access to anything like Big Lots or Job Lot? They are discount stores that sell a lot of overstock/damaged/expired items at super low prices. I just stocked up again, $13 for a big jug, and it was even organic. Definitely stock up if you find a good price. We use it very slowly and it's never gone bad or anything, even after a couple years in the back of the cabinet.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 18 Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 AM

I usually buy mine at Trader Joe's.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

#7 of 18 Old 08-19-2012, 04:05 PM

I buy it at Costco for $12.99

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#8 of 18 Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM

I order online directly from VT. Morse Farm generally has the best prices and it's straight from VT:
http://www.morsefarm.com/

#9 of 18 Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM

I am not sure what constitutes as a "big jug" but if you can find real honest to God pure maple syrup for 13.99 or whatever a jug then that is phenomenal. We make our own syrup and the prices are averaged out to about 40 bucks  a gallon give or take( and that is the average price for any of our local producers, maybe even a little on the cheaper side). Now mind you this is not mixed with any corn syrup or anything else, just pure good old fashioned maple syrup.

#10 of 18 Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 PM

What about trying other toppings? Perhaps a fruit only preserve.
#11 of 18 Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 AM

I live in NH but get it from Black Pup Sugarmakers in Peacham, VT.  My Dad used to work with a relative of the owner so I don't have to go pick it up, my dad gets it from the relative.  It's certified organic and only $40/for a gallon jug!  So much cheaper than even BJ's where I used to get it.  The downside is you wouldn't be able to use your EBT to buy it. 

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#12 of 18 Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by missythemom3 View Post

I am not sure what constitutes as a "big jug" but if you can find real honest to God pure maple syrup for 13.99 or whatever a jug then that is phenomenal. We make our own syrup and the prices are averaged out to about 40 bucks  a gallon give or take( and that is the average price for any of our local producers, maybe even a little on the cheaper side). Now mind you this is not mixed with any corn syrup or anything else, just pure good old fashioned maple syrup.

I think the "big jug" is the largest size commonly found in grocery stores. I think it's a quart.

Re agave syrup, I believe the health conscious people have determined that it is as bad for you as high fructose corn syrup, that it may even be composed primarily with it.

Growing up, my mom made a sugar syrup and flavored it with mapleine maple flavoring. Taste wise, it was second best to real maple syrup. It wasn't as thick and didn't have the minerals but it was much cheaper.

One time, my dad did save real maple syrup long enough that it got moldy. It might have been a year and it likely wouldn't have happened if kept in the fridge. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 18 Old 08-31-2012, 03:09 PM

I don't think it's an *exceptional* price, I would rather get it in bulk, but today I got a couple of small bottles of 100% maple syrup from Aldi's - they were $1.99 each, I believe.  (So... per unit probably not comparable to Costco's or anything but it was cheaper than normal grocery stores and definitely cheaper than the local produced kinds.)

#14 of 18 Old 08-31-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I don't know if it is a phenomanol price but I just bought Meijers Organic 100% maple syrup today for $5.99..It is 12.6 onz?? Big bottle...

#15 of 18 Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM

I think cutting it is a good idea.  I cut ours with blackstrap molasses.  Very good for you, and very inexpensive!  The molasses is a strong taste though, so if you're kids aren't used to it, you'd have to experiment with how much you could mix in that they would tolerate.  You can also do pancakes to fill the belly up more with cream cheese & jam :)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#16 of 18 Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I sometimes make fruit sauces when we're out of syrup....boil apples or strawberries with a bit of brown sugar (and maybe cinnamon).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#17 of 18 Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 AM

I found a local supplier at our farmer's market and got half a gallon for $25-ish (I can't remember exactly).  I separated it into smaller jars and "canned" it to keep it from crystalizing.

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#18 of 18 Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM

If you can get cream cheaper than maple syrup, then fruit and cream make a DECADENT alternative to syrup...and more nutritious too! Strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, really any fruit could be good.

Another option is plain yogurt (I like Greek) sweetened with maple syrup or jam. It's delicious and makes the syrup go a loooooong way.

I've found that as long as you find a way to moisten your pancakes with some sort of topping, it doesn't have to be swimming in syrup. But it can take a while to adjust, especially if your kids are a bit picky.

reading.gif <--Me, IronMammaries  mischievous.gif <--Med-student DPenergy.gif<--DD (12/08) &  baby.gif <--DS 4/13

1**pos.gif5***heartbeat.gif10****15**B*20***25***30***35**** stork-boy.gif

.....BFP.........HB Heard.........BOY!......................................... 

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page