Getting Out of Debt - August 2012 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

trekkingirl, congratulations on being a mama for 9 years!  Say happy birthday to your little girl.

thanks

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#32 of 44 Old 08-24-2012, 10:13 AM

oh, I guess we already do a pantry then.... we have tons of dried beans, flour, sugar, etc.

but I am not going to buy a bunch of stuff from the store that is fresh and let it just die in the fridge. We do pick berries and fruit to can, and can tomatoes.. so we have a lot of stuff for below store rate...

I guess we sort of do that, but we should just tighten the belt on it. :)

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#33 of 44 Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM

I decided to cancel my trip to San Diego that I had planed for September. I need to save more aggressively for the home purchase. I also need to pay down some debt before I get into a mortgage. Vacations can wait!

My sister has recently decided that she wants to buy a house. She has a considerably large income and within two weeks got preapproved, paid off $6000 in CC debt, and has started looking at homes to make an offer. A few months ago I tried to talk her into buying a home and she got so defensive and cranky that I never brought it up again. Now all the sudden I am working slowly towards home ownership and she accomplishes in two weeks what I've been working on for two years! Maybe I can learn from her mistakes.

A close friend gave me a real gift of perspective this week. I have always had grass is greener syndrome for people that were set up financially by there families. Help with home down payment etc. Well my friend has been battling with her mother as she is trying to steal her house from her. She had to get a lawyer and everything! I am so grateful I'm not in her shoes. When I struggle to purchase my home without any family help I will never have to worry about any family members feeling like they have rights to my house!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#34 of 44 Old 09-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

Welcome to all the noobies! Are you guys doing Dave Ramsey's total money makeover?

can i jump in? i'm not following Dave Ramsey's total money makeover but it sounds like im close to it. i had stumbled upon snowball plans from google a few months ago and have been trying my hand at it. august was my first month of not following my plan and i'm soooo bummed. i was supposed to pay off debt#1 in august and that just didnt happen. i overspent and didnt receive child support for the month and ended up with an american express bill i can't pay.

so now im trying to get back on the wagon and ride this out. im the only income for our family of 6 and the stress is starting to freak me out. that felt super good to "say" that out loud actually :D

nice to meet everyone!

trying to be a super mom working full-time and keeping up with rhyan (2/98), gavin (8/99) and boo (4/09).
#35 of 44 Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 PM

Welcome to MDC Chrissy!

#36 of 44 Old 09-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

Welcome to MDC Chrissy!

thank you :)

i spent some time on google yesterday reading up on dave ramsey. turns out my snowball plan was a little off. i didn't have them in order of lowest balances first. i tweaked it (rearranged debt#2 & debt#3) a bit using a snowball calculator i found and all of a sudden debt#3 is set to be paid off 7 months earlier than anticipated. im in super financial dorky glee right now!

Igraine and trekkingirl like this.

trying to be a super mom working full-time and keeping up with rhyan (2/98), gavin (8/99) and boo (4/09).
#37 of 44 Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Welcome Chrissy.  Always feels good to move forward.

trekking, sorry to hear you needed to postpone your vacation, but I can totally agree that waiting for vacations can help us closer to our goals.

DH had an in depth discussion about finances this weekend.  I have been really stressed "waiting for his reimbursement" so we could move forward with our invitro fertilization.  Having hope and then getting it dashed every two weeks has not been good for me.  Also thinking about having to go to the doctor all the time for for a month is more than I can handle while trying to teach full time.  Right now we have decided to wait for the IVF cycle until June 2013 once I am done with teaching so there will be no stress of having to get back to work when my body is bulging with follicles.  It also means that whenever the reimbursement comes, we will put it in savings and wait for next summer.  Also since we will in the United States, and all the maternity leave I get is 6 weeks paid leave and up to 6 weeks of sick time (if I hadn't used it for doctor's visits before hand) as paid leave otherwise it would be unpaid.  Knowing that we have enough sperm frozen for an IVF cycle reduces some of my stress. Waiting will mean we can focus on our debts as we go along.  I want to be a stay at home mom and with all the debts I accumulated before I got married are thwarting my desire to be a stay at home mom because we won't have enough money to pay for our 4 walls and all our debts.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#38 of 44 Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Lilac if I remember correctly, you get two weeks disability before baby and four weeks after. Then you get six weeks paid family leave as well as your DH. Then you would get whatever your job gives you, which in my case was only whatever vacation pay I had saved up. HTH

#39 of 44 Old 09-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

Welcome Chrissy.  Always feels good to move forward.

trekking, sorry to hear you needed to postpone your vacation, but I can totally agree that waiting for vacations can help us closer to our goals.

DH had an in depth discussion about finances this weekend.  I have been really stressed "waiting for his reimbursement" so we could move forward with our invitro fertilization.  Having hope and then getting it dashed every two weeks has not been good for me.  Also thinking about having to go to the doctor all the time for for a month is more than I can handle while trying to teach full time.  Right now we have decided to wait for the IVF cycle until June 2013 once I am done with teaching so there will be no stress of having to get back to work when my body is bulging with follicles.  It also means that whenever the reimbursement comes, we will put it in savings and wait for next summer.  Also since we will in the United States, and all the maternity leave I get is 6 weeks paid leave and up to 6 weeks of sick time (if I hadn't used it for doctor's visits before hand) as paid leave otherwise it would be unpaid.  Knowing that we have enough sperm frozen for an IVF cycle reduces some of my stress. Waiting will mean we can focus on our debts as we go along.  I want to be a stay at home mom and with all the debts I accumulated before I got married are thwarting my desire to be a stay at home mom because we won't have enough money to pay for our 4 walls and all our debts.

where will you be debt wise in June 2013? in significantly better shape than now? i hate that i accrued debt but it happened. staying at home isn't an option for me and it's hard. somehow along the way my husband has become a stay at home dad...thats what i get for finding the right job i suppose. lets do our best to stay positive. june 2013 sounds like a great time to start IVF, it's already less than a year away :) i was just watching a documentary about teachers in the US and one of the subjects was a pregnant teacher. not a fun movie.

#40 of 44 Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Debtwise in June 2013, we would have 3 more debts paid off and by April 2014, we would have the car paid off and 3 other debts.  We wouldn't be able to snowball if I was no longer working full time and staying home with a baby or babies (since IVF is the route we are having to take because of DH's extremely low sperm count).  My DH would also be done with his further education which could mean a higher paying job for him.

I would probably still do some online teaching or something if I stayed home with kids but the money from that wouldn't be as much as I make now. 

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#41 of 44 Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM

spoke with a loan officer on Friday. We qualify for a $250,000 house. This is kind of bad news because I was hoping to buy a lot cheaper house then I qualified for. Well I'll be lucky if I even find a house for $250. That's bottom of the barrel around here.  I have to come up with all kinds of paper work including bank statements! Gah! Hope to have the $10,000 to get into the house by February, fingers crossed.

#42 of 44 Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM

I just realized there is probably a September thread. Off to see

#43 of 44 Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Ok I just made the new thread because we didn't have one yet! I will copy my post over there.

#44 of 44 Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM

well it won't let me copy my post for some odd reason it will only let me repaste the op post that I just pasted. Lame!

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page