Was your degree worth it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in the category of needing the financial aid in order to care for my children. I have no job skills because I was a stay at home mom for many years and then I left my husband because he was abusing me and it left the children and I homeless and penniless. So I am going to the University in order to be able to afford to raise the kids on my own and still be able to be there for them with my flexible school schedule. I get no child support because my ex hides all his assets and income so the state can't get anything and I am trying to gain some education and skills in hopes that after I get my degree there will be something for me out there that will enable me to still be able to afford to raise the kids and live an ok life. Until then I live off of loans and grants and pray the future will be kind to us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 AM

YES. And this is coming from a SAHM who only recently started working from home. winky.gif

My first degree was psychology/anthropology. My master's was International Relations. A bachelor's in psychology was mainly a stepping stone to grad school. I couldn't do anything with it. I did use my master's degree before DD was born, but that's not necessarily why I say my degrees were worth it.

The experiences I had during college, I will remember for the rest of my life. They have helped mold me into the person I am today. College, study abroad, and grad school have expanded my worldview, allowed me to get out of the homogenous small town I was living in and meet people and make friends from all walks of life. I was able to see amazing cultural events free of charge through a program at my college in undergrad (a symphony performance with guest Yo-Yo Ma, Broadway on Tour musicals, etc). I learned to make mistakes, and probably went to a few too many frat parties. I discovered Habitat for Humanity spring break trips, which was the first time in my life I ever volunteered. I discovered a passion for helping others in need, learned to stand up for what I believe in, and learned about a lot of really interesting things. I developed a love for learning, and doing, something I did not have in high school. I got to travel around the world on Semester at Sea, and fall in love with travelling. 

And, most importantly money-wise, I learned to write and speak in public. And that is now how I earn an income, as a grant-writer and occasional travel writer; prior to my daughter being born I also did a lot of public speaking for the nonprofit I worked for. My grammar going into college was atrocious, filled with regional slang and a somewhat funky dialect. Without college, I would probably still speak that way. Which isn't a bad thing, per say, but would have made it difficult to do the kind of work that I do today.

I also met my husband. smile.gif

I have been paying off student loans for about 6 years, and probably have another 2 years to go, but I have no regrets. All of these experiences have already influenced my daughter. I take her with me when I volunteer at a local refugee resettlement agency. She is learning Spanish from a young age. She has just travelled out of the country with us for the first time, to France, and we plan on taking her to Costa Rica next year. I could keep going, but the point is, many of the experiences we choose to expose her to can be linked to things I learned or discovered about myself while studying at a university.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

YES! my degrees are worth it.  Even if I'm not currently using any or all of them.  I have a BA in business with a psych minor. I have 99% of an MBA and I have a post grad teaching certificate in secondary education.  I've working in Fraud, collections, brokerage markets, credit markets, customer service, call centers, and education.  I am thinking of going back to school again for Masters in Counseling. That would be basically my 4th degree or certificate.  Right now we are living in poverty, due do my mental health but the potential for income and a career is there.  I have decades of employment to think about.  Even if I don't go back to school I have my education to fall back upon as well as my work experience.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Yes, my experience was worth it. But it was a life trajectory thing. Things are hard to generalize. :) I went to community college, transferred to a state school, got a teaching credential and completed seven years of graduate school and left with $30k in debt and no degree.

But my first book has been downloaded more than a thousand times and I am working on several others. I gained a lot of confidence in myself as a writer. Even though academia doesn't want me long-term I got what I needed out of the experience. No, I don't appeal to the stuffy white men who sit on judgment committees in snobby English departments. What else is new? :)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Oh I have so much to say about this! too much to write so please PM me if you want more info.

The short version of my story-

I have been an entrepreneur and contract worker on and off for 5 years. It is my passion and I thoroughly researched how to make a full time living doing it though money would never be solid or for sure. BUT when my husband got laid off I realized fast I could not apply for anything with solid money without a degree and we have struggled endlessly because of it. My husband could at least try for many jobs because he has his BS (though also tons of debit). I thought the only option was a traditional degree/school which means lots of debit but much more opportunity.

THEN I FOUND ACCELERATED DISTANCE LEARNING!!!!

I cannot say enough about it! 

basically to summarize through a wonderful regionally accredited school and tons of CLEP tests, DANTE exams and some other test only courses I will have a fully accredited bachelor with ZERO debit, and it took me exactly 12 months (with no prior credit) to complete! It sounds way too good to be true, right? I thought so too but its truly the real deal.

I did this all with a husband who travels, while pregnant, with a toddler.

I plan to become a teacher and start helping other complete their degree the way I did.

you can do it!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a BS in Geology and a MS in Geology, oh and 100k student loan debt. I am employed as a Geologist. My education was 100% worth it and I am on the income based repayment plan, plus I work for a non-profit so my payments are totally manageable. I will probably pursue a PhD.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 PM

I had $80,000 in loans to become a nurse and I think it was well worth it for me.  Great career. lots of job opportunities and I was able to get a large chunk of that loan money taken away because I was working as a nurse full time (the government has some "deals" for professionals working in high need areas).  My current salary is amazing and I love what I do.  which i think is so important!  Nursing is a great profession because there's so much  you can do with it and it's a good salaried job and flexible too, especially for a mother.  

So I think getting a useful degree is important.  unless  you are going to college to get an MRS degree which can be what your goal is too which is fine but I would think it was important to think about how much you are going to be in debt in the end and if you'll be able to pay it off.  

My sister in law went to a prestigious private college for an art degree and is now a SAHM.  She had her father's money to pay for this degree.  DH's cousin had no money, no rich parents, and got the same degree and is now working in a coffee shop/grocery store and desperately trying to pay it off.  same degree. 2 different stories and outcomes.  

Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, my degrees are absolutely worth it.  My current job is not related to my degrees but there's no way I would have been offered this job without that background and experience.  Having a well-rounded education allowed me to grow as a person, a member of society, and a future mother.

There are ways to get a college degree without any debt.  I have an associate degree, two bachelors degrees, am working on a masters degree, and I have zero debt.  My parents did not fund my education--I did.  I realize that's not possible for everyone, but it's certainly not impossible.  Here's how I did it...

1. I chose moderately-priced schools rather than going to the most prestigious or most convenient school that would accept me.
  2. I always lived in very modest apartments with roommates to keep rent prices low.
  3. I nearly always walked or rode the bus to school to ease transportation costs.
  4. I applied for EVERY scholarship/grant that I heard of.  I was able to defray a huge portion of my costs through these scholarships.
  5. I started working at age 12 (for family members) and age 16 (official employment) and always saved money for college.
  6. Most colleges have the same tuition rate for full-time students whether they take 12 credit hours or 18 credit hours.  I always took the maximum allowed credit hours per term to cram the most in--even when that meant combining many difficult classes.
  7. Many colleges charge less for tuition during the summer.  I took summer classes.
  8. I used library resources frequently.
  9. I always worked during college even when I had more than a full-time class load.  At first this was menial labor with terrible hours, gradually I progressed into more desirable jobs.
  10. For my latest degree, I chose an employer with a tuition reimbursement plan that helped to cover much of my tuition.
  11. I regularly checked in with financial aid counselors.  Although I did not qualify for government or other tuition assistance, this helped me to be aware of options.
  12. I lived extremely frugally and spent very little on groceries, clothing, etc.
  13. I regularly checked in with my college counselors to ensure I was taking the correct classes, making progress, etc.
  14. I always bought textbooks used and re-sold them ASAP.  When possible, I shared textbooks with others or just didn't buy them.
  15. When I didn't have enough money to pay for college, I stopped and worked to save until I could afford it again rather than getting loans.

I'm so thankful for my degrees and am also very grateful that I was able to do it without debt.  Even if I left the workforce to be a full time SAHM I would never regret the time, money, and effort that I dedicated to earning them.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM

It depends on what you want.  DH and I both somewhat regret our degrees and how much we under-estimated the drain that the student debt would be on us.  At nine years out of school we're still paying off loans.  More than anything we regret what we studied.  DH was a French teacher - 4 year French degree followed by 1 year teaching degree.  As it turns out, he didn't enjoy teaching as much as he hoped.  He recently changed careers and is a professional truck driver.  He loves his job now.  It was a six week course and within a couple weeks he was working.  Jobs are super-plentiful and they pay decently.  We would be so much farther ahead financially if he had been truck driving for the 5 years he was in university - making money instead of making debt.  That said, I think that if DH had studied something in university that was more geared toward his interests and aptitudes, there wouldn't be the same regret. 

I wish that I had studied a trade instead of getting a BSc.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM

Dh and I both went to an affordable school. His parents paid for his undergraduate degree and since his grandfather lived about 20 minutes from the school, he lived with him the first two years (Tuition was $750 a semester back then). I had grants and loans, and worked the entire 5 years. . I ended up with a teaching degree and one of the loans was written off after teaching for 5 years in a disadvantaged school. He went to grad school and took out a loan for that. We ended up with about $15K total in loans for both of us. The payments of $147 a month didn't break us. Although he didn't "use" his degree, he moved much faster up the ladder because he had one. He worked with people who had been in the workforce longer, but they had the same responsibilities and salary because dh had a degree.

The state I live in now has a program that pays for tuition for high school graduates who achieve a certain GPA (2.5) and have a certain ACT score (20). The higher the GPA and ACT score, the more money the student qualifies for. My kids know they must qualify for this to go to college. You can even use it for a trade school or community college. We will still have to pay fees, etc, and they will have to work, but I do feel it is worth it.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Another option is to see if there is a tech college in your area, where you could learn a practical skill (welding, plumbing, etc.) in a relatively short amount of time.  

I agree. I am currently doing a paralegal certificate for about $3k total (community college - and they have other "practical" certificates as well).

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM

My degree was worth it in the sense I'm more educated, but financially, no. Wasn't worth it at all :\.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 AM

I am an autodidact naturally, so I chose to learn specific skills in a college where the profs acted as mentors, instructing the students by demonstration and assigning practical applications as our work. I learned Glass Blowing, forming, kiln-casting, cold-working and glass chemistry, then I trained in Technical and Scientific Illustration. In these fields, only my portfolio really matters, not my credentials, which I knew from the beginning; I wanted the skills.

I am also academically well-educated, but my academics have been chosen by and administrated by me. I have studied disciplines that are offered as degrees, and have even used program plans from Universities as references to set my own course of study. I learn best with a focus, so my studies have been similar to the requirements of advanced degrees, but without the fluff that is supposed to make students "well-rounded." I just used my life for that part. 

If I had to choose a discipline label as my favourite, I would choose anthropology. I considered going to university for degrees in the field, but given the financial cost, and the reality that my application of what I learn is personal, there was no good reason to spend the cash and go into debt. All of the things that I want to do with my academic education, I can do without either the degree or the credentials. I have studied anthropology, specifically academically, for ten years. I would wager that most career anthropologists learn more of what they end up using in their work, by personal, extra-curricular study, not from school texts and lectures, though these are potentially valuable as well; I just doubt they are enough. In my case, they come with too much redundancy to be useful to me, so I have done it on my own.

So, I guess whether or not it is worthwhile, depends on the purpose for doing it. Some people do not learn well on their own, so a classroom or group setting is so much better for them. I'm the opposite; the large group/classroom setting is a detriment to my ability to properly learn and fully absorb what I'm observing. Also, I have no intention to have a career or to get a job, but I do have time and ability to learn, so there is much more value derived of this path for me than the degree path.

I have many friends who have post-secondary credentials, but by far, the ones whose training has garnered them jobs and money to support their other (sometimes greater interests) are those with trades, and technical qualifications. They still learn all the other interesting subjects they enjoy, but they don't have to bother with whether or not it is worthwhile for them; it is because they want to learn it, and it doesn't cost anything but perhaps library fines and the expense of materials related to their studies. 

If I were to go back to school, I would learn small engine repair, or renewable energy systems design and installation, carpentry, or some other practical skill-set at a community tech school. Then, I'd continue with my academics like I always have. Then again, I may choose a non-ticket trade and learn it myself with the assistance of a generous and competent mentor, and then just start doing it. Because I'm like that. ;)

Wild Woooman & Mummie to my 4 boys (9, 8, 7, 5) and baby girl (2). bellyhair.gifom.gif

Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 AM

I went to a local community college to get a certificate in Medical Transcription. I did very well in the classes and I had fun. I got my first job offer a month after I graduated. I quickly realized that it was NOT for me. I hate monotony of the same thing everyday and I was practically neglecting my child because nobody was watching him as I was working at home and I couldn't afford a babysitter. I also worked for 12 hours a day for a $200 paycheck every pay period. Not worth it. Some moms make it work but it just was not for me. So.....

I decided to take a semester off and think about things. I then decided to go back to school and go for a nursing degree. The terminology I know already because of Medical Transcription so that eases me in PLUS I already took an anatomy and physiology class (granted it's just an intro class) but that also eases me in the the general anatomy and physiology class. So, in a way, Medical Transcription prepared me somewhat BUT I am hoping that the nursing degree that I am working on is worth it. praying.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM

my first degree was worth it, even though i ended up being a stay at home mom and was not employed in the field  (although i could have quite easily been). it was also so pivotal in changing how i saw the world, so in that sense, it was absolutely worth it to me. not only which, it helped me get into a Canadian midwifery education program, which i am halfway through.

i think that if you want to pursue college for the sake of finding a job that pays higher, i definitely agree with everyone who said pursue something that leads to a trade or job right away.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Absolutely, but you really have to be thoughtful about what you're going into and it's prospects before committing to post-secondary education because it can be extremely expensive. Think of it this way; would you spend $50,000 on a car without knowing whether or not it could drive?

Undergraduate degrees in fields that are too general (or too specific) can be a curse unless you do extremely well and/or want to continue on to a masters or PhD.

My degree was critical for my current job as a psychometrist and will be equally critical in getting into grad school. It was a struggle to get a job with just a bachelor's (even though I had an honors degree), but I stuck to it while working at a minimum wage job after graduating and now I work for the government with my own office, getting paid very well and raking in full health benefits and perks.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 PM

For me and DH, absolutely.  However, we both got our degrees in the same field we currently work in.  DH got his BS and MS in Computer Engineering and is currently going for his PhD. I got my BS in Management and MS in Executive Information Technology.  For us it has been fantastic as both worked in IT throughout our undergrad and then found companies to pay for our Masters/PhD degrees.  Even more so we now both work for companies that allow us to work from home.  It has been wonderful having a young family, being able to see them whenever we want while we work and afford a wonderful nanny.  It's truly been the best of both worlds for us. 

Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Mine was well worth it. I now work in a part time, professional job with full benefits. It is rewarding & a great fit for my family. The job requires a BA.
As far as loans go, I advise comparing the amount you'll have to borrow to your expected salary upon graduation. Saddling yourself with debt rarely makes sense, but, in many cases, the salary increase justifies some debt.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 PM

My degree was totally worth it. I have an associates in nursing. No loans. Could go back for a BSN if I wanted to be a manager but I don't...at least not right now. I work two "as needed" jobs but back when I worked full time I only worked three days a week. One job is in a small ICU to help me keep up my critical care skills, they always have plenty of options for me to work. The second job is in endoscopy, no nights, no weekends, no holidays. Both pay wonderfully, both allow me to self schedule and both allow me to work partial (5 or 8 hour) shifts. My co-workers are all amazing and if I don't want/need to work for a week/two weeks/month I don't have to. I'm curious and a science geek so watching complex physiological processes, how the body heals, family dynamics, the power of the mind over body and even death never fail to amaze me. Can my patients be a-holes? Yes, but but the number of good honest folks greatly outweigh the bad.

My partner is a physician assistant so he has a masters. It came with a large student loan that was reduced by working in a federally underserved clinic. He enjoys what he does but there are days that the responsibility his job carries stresses him out. His job pays well enough for us to live comfortably on his salary alone, I work to maintain my skills more than for income. I am able to self schedule which makes it possible for someone to be home at all times and the kids don't have to go to daycare which is important to us. He doesn't regret his degree in the slightest.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

ETA: Obviously you should take into consideration the cost of the degree vs income in the field as well.

And you should look very hard at the costs of comparable schools. (state versus private)

My volunteer work puts me in contact with college students and frankly, I want to grab 90% of them and shake some sense into them.  These are kids attending a nearly $60,000 per year school to major in teaching, religion, sociology, etc when they could have choosen the state school down the road that costs less than $4,000 but has as good as a reputation in those fields.

To answer the original question, my degree was worth it.  I truly learned a lot in college and worked in my field ever since.  For good or bad, I did pick a degree based on how much money a future job would pay, I didn't pick a degree based on a passion.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I tend to lean towards it's almost always worth it, especially if the right choices are made. Paying tens of thousands of dollars a year at a top tier school for a liberal arts degree is probably a pretty risky investment. Whereas, if you get a degree in a field like science or medicine from a state school that doesn't cost as much, you have a much better shot at it being lucrative - even if you have to take out some loans. 

My dh doesn't make nearly as much as he'd hoped he would by now but he still makes more than the national average and has decent job security. He wouldn't have that without a degree. 

I don't have a degree and it's lousy. I mean it seriously sucks. I've been passed over at a temp agency for crap hourly work even though I have lots of experience just because I don't have a degree. A lot of places will not even hire you for entry level jobs unless you have a degree in something - it doesn't even matter sometimes what you majored in -  

Employers really want to see that you went to school. 

mama to three little ladies
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM

I went into my college education knowing what I was interested in and with a goal to minimize costs, so I went to my state university and finished in three years instead of four by going in the summer and taking 18 credits every semester, and came out of it with no loans thanks to a Pell grant and scholarships. My friends were busy having "the experience" and went away to private colleges and ended up with big loans for degrees some didn't even finish. I'm not sorry I took the practical approach, and I'll make sure my son does the same. We even financed my husband's PhD without taking out loans, by making sure we chose schools that funded him and me supporting us on one income. It IS possible, it's just tough, and I think there isn't a lot of societal support for making frugal rather than romantic decisions about college in the US. 

Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 PM

I am lucky enough to not have any student loan debt and am staying at home for now, but...yes, my degree(s) were worth it, in terms of personal growth and what I can do in the world, if that makes any sense.  I worked like a madwoman in high school (and college) and got lots of scholarships that added up to quite a lot of money (and tested out of a lot of classes, too).  I chose a college that was really good for my field but where, between scholarships & the money my parents had generously saved for my education, I wouldn't have debt--as opposed to the #1 school in my field, which would have resulted in major student loans.  I went to a really good grad school and got a PhD, and it was 100% funded by scholarships and my advisor (otherwise I never would have gone).  It was an INCREDIBLE amount of work, and at times I hated it as it tore my ego to shreds, but I'm so glad I did it.  It made me so much stronger and more sure of myself.

My degrees are in chemical engineering and if I wanted to work now (I got pregnant right at the end of the PhD process) I'd have really good job prospects.  I chose my major in part because I love science and in part because heck, if I was going to pay that kind of money for a degree, I wanted one that would get me a really good job later.

If I had not been lucky enough to have parents who'd saved for my college degree, I'd've gone to a less-good school that offered me more scholarship money.  There are ways to go without paying through the nose, if you're really really careful (and somewhat lucky) and work like crazy.  At the time I was applying to colleges, one of my state schools was so desperate for really good homegrown engineering students that they'd have given me a full ride plus some pocket money to attend. 

My DH (electrical engineering) ran out of funding during his PhD and we ended up paying for some of it ourselves--I think I paid $11 k directly to the school (thank goodness I'd saved that much), plus I had to support him on my graduate stipend for a year and a half or so.  It wasn't fun.  But his job is high-paying enough that it was totally worth it. 

I think the moral of the story is that you should be really careful about taking out loans...and also that you should choose your major wisely.  I love languages and writing too, but I wasn't about to major in creative writing (I did take a lot of electives and did some work/study-abroad that was funded by the government, to my eternal gratitude.  Thanks Uncle Sam!).  I guess it's not a very romantic way to approach the whole thing, but a college degree is a major purchase and involves a lot of time and effort.  It pays to be at least somewhat practical.

Also, I worked part-time all through college & summers.  Pretty much all that money got handed over to my parents for tuition.  That helped a lot too.  And then in grad school I had the "save everything you can" mindset well in place--it's amazing how far you can stretch a stipend.  I had a sizeable chunk of savings after a year or two, and I lived in California and traveled a bunch too.  It's a good idea to get in the habit of saving money, no matter how little you make.

Also, please don't hate me for saying this, but I think going to college to "find yourself" or because you don't know what else to do is a really bad idea.  Unless you're a trust fund kid, you really should have some kind of career goal in mind, or it's so easy to get sidetracked and float through for five years leaking money like a sieve and still not get a degree at the end.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 PM

My parents paid for my business degree. I don't think it was worth it. college was fun though. I did get a job in a related field of the sort, but only because my dad was already in the field and through his connections, I got into this particular field that I'm in now. I just "fell into" this field. I actually couldn't land a job with my actual concentration that I had in college. but I can say that if you can afford it, do it. Unless you're an entrepreneur who can build your own wealth, that's probably the best option rather than going to college.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 PM

I resemble the two previous comments... I didn't know what I wanted to do when I started college. I went because it was expected in my family. We had bought the line that an undergrad degree opens doors. Faffing around and not graduating was not an option for me. I ended up with a degree in English literature, which doesn't really open a lot of doors job-wise. But once I figured out what I really wanted to do, having the undergrad degree under my belt meant I was partway there already. I went back to school and I couldn't have the job I have now (pharmacist) without the doctoral degree. I make a good income, can work part-time, and am more employable than most. But I also have a scary amount of debt (which I could pay off faster if willing to work full-time, but I don't want to.) Was it worth it? I think so but I'm not 100% sure. I am not 100% satisfied with my career, but I don't really know what I'd do instead if I hadn't become a pharmacist. None of the options for people without degrees really sound like they're up my alley, and most other professional jobs I can think of don't appeal to me as much. If I hadn't found my way into pharmacy and had continued on the trajectory my undergrad degree set me on, I might be answering this question differently. 

My husband's education enables him to hold his dream job, so I think it was worth it for him too, although he doesn't make a great income teaching at the college level and also has a ton of debt. 

Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM

I'm ALWAYS the one-off in every situation...

my ex has a degree and makes 1600/mth takehome and has for the last 12 years (he could make more, but lacks ANY motivation. case in point being 35 and living with his parents for the last 5 years now!)

I do not have a degree and i'm closing on 6 figures hard and fast. current takehome is err...88.5

But i'm in a field that doesn't really REQUIRE a degree, and I was willing to work for little to nothing and 20hr days to get to this point. I fully expect that in the next 4-5 years to hit the 6 figure mark.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basylica View Post

I'm ALWAYS the one-off in every situation...

my ex has a degree and makes 1600/mth takehome and has for the last 12 years (he could make more, but lacks ANY motivation. case in point being 35 and living with his parents for the last 5 years now!)

I do not have a degree and i'm closing on 6 figures hard and fast. current takehome is err...88.5
But i'm in a field that doesn't really REQUIRE a degree, and I was willing to work for little to nothing and 20hr days to get to this point. I fully expect that in the next 4-5 years to hit the 6 figure mark.

Holy cow! What do you do?

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemombian View Post

Holy cow! What do you do?

My current title is "network and storage engineer"

for those who are un-nerdly, i'm the guy that keeps all the core servers for a large company running. I started off doing dialup tech support when I was 19(ish), moved onto desktop support (fixing the user's computers) and kept working my way up from there.

Currently i'm supporting SAN (Storage) and Cisco (networking) for a company. my previous job I was doing easily (I kid you not) 5-6 people's jobs...ifnot more. I did all the networking for 60 hotel locations, supporting 300 physical servers, 2 datacenter's networks, the email for the entire company, storage for the company, etc. If I got 8-10hrs of sleep a WEEK it was a normal week.

My new job is much nicer...I get home at a reasonable hour and don't have to work all night and all weekend and travel all the time....and it pays more :)

Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM

Yes! I am a nurse. My degree allowed me to get out of an awful marriage and allows me to a be a single mom of 7 youngins. Well worth it! What on earth could I have done without a degree after being a SAHM for 20 years?

Mama to lots of kiddos.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Such an interesting topic to me personally... I feel like everyone I personally know who has a degree (besides my sister, which may have a little to do with luck and timing), is *not* successful in their field and usually chained to a job they don't love because of the mounting debt. I think the government should really do something about it-- it seems a bit preditory in my opinion. I think it's crazy for a just-over-18 year old to even be able to get these HUGE student loans to go to college-- like they know what they are doing, maybe some do but at 18, I sure didn't. Then once they are done with school *boom* they are broke and forced to work jobs that aren't in their field. Most can't even do internships because they don't pay or pay much! So sad.

Me? I did a little community college and soul searching from job to job. And no, my parents paid for none of it. I got financial aid and worked my tail off. Then turned a new hobby on this new concept called the "world wide web" and started learning how to code, tinkered around with photoshop. Called a few temp agencies in 2000/2001 with my resume and they ended up landing me a job as a web developer! Fast forward 10+ years and I'm proud to say I worked at Apple.com as a developer. Talk about a dream job! I was the ONLY one without a degree on my team. Crazy. I even beat out kids just out of college for positions when times were good. But then lets remember, because I lacked a degree I did and still do make less then someone with a degree, and I'm female so sadly, I make less. I'm now sucessfully freelancing while staying at home with my LO. 

If I could go back I'd have loved to study abroad and work but I wouldn't have signed up for those kinds of debt I don't think.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Tags
Finances
User Tag List