Was your degree worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dp and I were talking and I got to wondering. How many of you that have college degrees think it was worth it? I know several people with BS degrees that are working in completely unrelated fields and their degree has done nothing for them. We were talking about would the student loans be worth it in the end or should we figure out another way some how. Based off of your experiences, what do you think?

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#2 of 60 Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM

dh's wasnt.  he spent 56k (plus interest) to get  4 year art degree he cant use for anything. he'd be lucky to get a $10/hr job at a call center

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 AM

I spent $12,000 to almost finish a teaching degree, and then got to spend the next five years paying it off. Got pregnant right near the end, bed-rest for much of it and then just decided that it wasn't worth it to finish at that time.

My husband financed $15,000 to finish his degree after we were married. He was a teacher and could not have worked in his profession without the degree--but I do wish we would have cash-flowed his degree and skipped my failed degree entirely. $27,000 was a daunting amount of debt to have just starting out, and we had to make choices I never thought we would have made without that debt to pay off.

He also has a masters, which we cash-flowed after moving overseas to be able to pay off the previous debt. Before we moved we had $100 in the budget for "extras" over just the minimums on our student loans, $200/month for food, a super-dumpy cheap apartment and no other debt.

We should have been able to figure out that the debt would seriously pinch our budgets, but it's very easy to think that you will make "more" if you get your degree. At this point in our economy, just getting a job is hard enough without having to also get one that lets you pay off the debt you incurred to get there.

In the end I would rather we/he would have taken longer to get the initial degree, and have paid for it upfront. Then we would have had more options after graduation when all the bills started to come due.

#4 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The experience was worth. I'd rather spend a few years at college learning, figuring myself out, etc rather then a few years in and out of jobs. (Did that anyhow, as I worked through out university and summers). I went to 3yr college directly out of highschool. Finished that, worked 6months in that field, quit and traveled throughout the US. Went back to a university (funded by myself).

I am in an unrelated field and I am also short a class and a half from having a degree. But they do say a degree often shows a potential employer that you started and finished something, (although I certainly did not go for that reason either!)  Also, 10 years working experience is equivalent to a degree. My colleagues (we are in a software / high tech company) - I dont think anyone has a computer science degree, most have a college diploma of some wort, either in the arts or maybe in coding  and we are all making a very decent income (without the high debt or big diploma from top notch schools)

BUT experience versus a price tag of 20,000+ a year and ending up with debt that seems beyond ones capabilities. No way!  (My tuition costs were 5000 / yr @ a university in Canada) I am in the US now, but I will certainly direct my kids towards a college with a reasonable tuition cost.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#5 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 AM

We live in Europe (Romania) and husband and I got our Bachelor degree. Both of us worked during our University years but after getting the degree we found jobs in the field we wanted and studies. 

So it was worth it in our case and I really enjoyed those years.

Mom to DD 15/07/2007 and DD 19/07/2013
#6 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 AM

My gut reaction was no... but maybe it was a little worth it...

I have 2 bachelor's degrees -- one that I don't use at all (and can't without doing graduate work, which I may consider when DS is much older) and another that I have used for my past job, but I could have gotten the exact same job, same salary, etc. without a degree. And now I'm a SAHM so obviously I use neither degree. But I graduated with only about $10K in student loan debt (total, for both degrees, I had lots of scholarships & aid) so I'm pretty sure over the course of my lifetime it will turn out to be worth it. And even though I COULD have gotten my last job without a degree, college helped me gain experience and relevant knowledge that I would have struggled to gain on my own.

DH graduated with about $20K student loan debt. He needed a degree to get a job in his field, but unfortunately his field is not high-paying (at least not locally), with very little income growth potential. Still, his loans will (hopefully) be paid off after about 10-12 years from when he graduated, and he is making (slightly!) more than $10/hour at least. I think he could have gotten a degree in a more in-demand field & been better off financially, but at least he is doing something he is happy doing.

Bottom line, I guess I feel degrees are worth it IF you minimize the debt load (to me, that's under $30K, and preferably half that, unless it's a really high-income field you'd be going into) and IF there are likely to be jobs in that field wherever you live or plan to move. In most fields, a degree from a state university or community college will be just as good as one from a private institution, but often far cheaper. And I'd aim for a broad degree rather than a very specific one with only narrow job opportunities.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Yes, totally. My degree allowed me to teach for five years. It's in English, not education, but that qualified me for a provisional 5 year teaching license. So I was able to make decent money. Now that I am going back to work and looking for jobs, my degree qualifies me for a lot more positions. There are lots of jobs that require a BS/BA, even if it's not in that field.

Also, having a BA allows me to pursue graduate education, which can then increase my career potential.

I owe 16k in loans. However, teaching paid around 14k more per year than other entry level jobs for people with zero experience.

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#8 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yes for both me and DH. We both work in the fields we studied and have professional graduate degrees ("terminal master's"). Both jobs allow us to have the flexibility we have always wanted for our family and in our careers - which would not have been possible for him and much more difficult for me without a degree.

In retrospect, we did well with loans for undergrad, paid off my grad fairly quickly, but did his grad degree post-kids with a deadline (aimed for him getting a job when our youngest kid entered kindy - and he did), so we spent more than we would have otherwise & are still paying off his loans. Thankfully, they are not private loans & we're about halfway through paying it off.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#9 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM

As someone who has no degree, and the most I ever made in a job ever was $9.25, I'd say that it has to be worth it to those of you who finished.

Of course, I have to tell myself this as I am now going to school. :P I really felt I had no choice, as it was school or.... ? I don't even know. I couldn't find a decent job to support myself and two kids, even at the most basic level, so here I am.

#10 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh yes. I went the community college route for price and was making $20 an hour eventually after graduating, that was 10 years ago. Dh does not have a degree and makes excellent money but he is in a  field where a degree is worthless. That is not normal and we know that. I hope to return to grad school that I had to stop when #4 came along unexpectedly when the kids are older. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I looked at my education as purely preparation for a career then no, it wasn't worth it.

But I see how my education helps me in other areas of my life - parenting, my marriage, taking care of my health, being an activist, etc. so yes, it was worth it!
transylvania_mom and Juvysen like this.
#12 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 AM

I don't think I've ever realized that people would feel like they had to work in the field they majored in in college for it to have been worth it.  Like, I have a BS in sociology and then I went to law school.  Does that mean I haven't used my sociology degree if I've only practiced law?  I couldn't have gone to law school without it.  If I didn't go to law school, but I had gotten into a non-sociology career, I think I would similarly feel like my degree was helpful in my career  --  as long as I wasn't waiting tables or cashiering (which I was doing before college).

OTOH, right now I'm kind of regretting law school.  I don't want to be lawyer.  I want to be a sahm.  But I have to pay off my law school loans and the only thing that will make me enough money to do that is lawyering.  Even so, if my life took an unexpected turn, say dh and I separated, I am way better off having this degree than I would have been otherwise.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#13 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM

i think when you spend sooooo much money getting a degree  then cant get a decent job that is what makes people feel like ti's not worth it.  honestly i dropped out after middle school, got my GED and i make as much as DH would

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

For us college isn't about the "experience." We aren't going to find ourselves and make friends. We have two girls to raise and bills to pay. For us our thinking is "if I have a degree I can make more money." But last night when I was running the numbers, as it stands right now we are at about 20,000 in student loan debt. Theoretically, if we continue the way we have been we will be close to $100,000 combined debt for a bachelors degree! Also, for us we are wanting to work in the field our degrees are in.

Honestly, we are kind of in that "if I don't go to school, what else am I going to do" phase right now. I've see our parents not having great jobs and I don't want that, but then again, I see friends who started as seasonal cashiers now store managers.

We have been having some serious talks about all of this lately and we just don't know what to do.

For those of you that said degrees aren't needed in such and such field or you're making as much as someone with a degree, what do you do?

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#15 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

If I looked at my education as purely preparation for a career then no, it wasn't worth it.
But I see how my education helps me in other areas of my life - parenting, my marriage, taking care of my health, being an activist, etc. so yes, it was worth it!

Yup.  I graduated with $15,000 in student loans with a BA in Anthropology, four months before my first was born and I became a SAHM.  I would most definitely have to go to grad school to really work in my field... but my education has absolutely defined the mother I have become, and that's priceless.  It definitely gave me more confidence than I would have had otherwise.  I can say it helped me to land my current job which is not at all glam, but allows me to stay at home with my kids and provides a roof over our heads.  I have a little less than half my degree to pay off still, and that sucks, but I don't regret it.  I DO regret not paying cash for it back when we had two full time incomes and very well could have afforded it.  That was just plain stupid.

Dh will graduate next spring with about $25,000 in student loans for a teaching degree.  I'm NOT happy about the amount, but in terms of overall happiness and his personal fulfillment, it will be worth it.  It will not be easy to pay back, we will not be rolling in money, but he'll be doing something he feels is worthwhile and happy to do, and that's definitely something.

#16 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Not sure.  I feel pretty bad about the way I managed my education, but my degree allows me to teach (only in colleges, not public schools), which is how I make all my money.  Since I'm an adjunct, I just have a few classes and the work I put in (well, not counting prep work at home etc) averages out to about $30/hr.  My partner works in a public school as a teacher's aide but would make more money doing similar work if his degree were in his field.

What I have is a BFA from an art school (more expensive than it should have been--dropped out of one private school, finished at another.  Not smart.) and an MFA from an Ivy League place (very expensive objectively but not compared to other similar programs).  My debt is about $40,000.  I don't have a credit card, a mortgage (we rent), or car payments, so it's not as horrible as it sounds.  But, let's face it--that's a lot.  I did LOVE grad school (well, kind of) and I'm glad I had those experiences, but now that I'm typing this out I'm starting to feel a little less okay with it all.  Mostly what I'm regretting right now is not taking practical courses like illustration as an undergrad or being more career-minded as a grad student.  I am very bad at trying to promote my own artwork.

Anyway, whatever, that's where I'm at now!  I can always find something to regret, at any rate...

#17 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemombian View Post

For us college isn't about the "experience." We aren't going to find ourselves and make friends. We have two girls to raise and bills to pay. For us our thinking is "if I have a degree I can make more money." But last night when I was running the numbers, as it stands right now we are at about 20,000 in student loan debt. Theoretically, if we continue the way we have been we will be close to $100,000 combined debt for a bachelors degree! Also, for us we are wanting to work in the field our degrees are in.

Honestly, we are kind of in that "if I don't go to school, what else am I going to do" phase right now. I've see our parents not having great jobs and I don't want that, but then again, I see friends who started as seasonal cashiers now store managers.

We have been having some serious talks about all of this lately and we just don't know what to do.

For those of you that said degrees aren't needed in such and such field or you're making as much as someone with a degree, what do you do?

Another option is to see if there is a tech college in your area, where you could learn a practical skill (welding, plumbing, etc.) in a relatively short amount of time.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Both dh and I use our degrees. I was blessed in that my parents paid for mine so no student loans. Dh and I paid for his. It took him 6 years to get his BS but he worked full time for the first 3 years and he was a SAHD for the second half. When he graduated we had a 3 year old and a 6 month old and $20,000 in loans. We paid those off in 10 years. He has made way more than $20,000 more than be would have without a degree. Even entry level positions in my dh's field require some form of degree and he is head of the department.

With that being to said, we are helping our dd pay for a community college education right now. Significantly more affordable at $2000 a semester for full time.
#19 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 03:47 PM

Although I'm not using my undergrad or grad degree that highly with what I do now, I have to say yes, they were worth it. 80% of the work I've done since I earned my Masters 12 years ago have been referrals from people I went to school with or referrals from former coworkers at jobs I got through people I went to school with. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#20 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Absolutely 100%. If I had to go back and do it again, I would, no doubt about it. I got my bachelors in business from a State University and it was a great decision. I had good grades in HS and worked on applying for bazillions of scholarships my jr and sr years of HS, so with scholarship money, money from my parents, working, and being an RA in the dorms, I was able to graduate debt free. I was hired for my great full time job a month before I graduated.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#21 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Neither my dh or I had typical 4 year college experiences. I went to community college and then transferred for my last 2 years with minimal debt. My dh went to community college, transferred and took 3 years for his BS and then went on to get his MA. I would say my degree was 'worth it' to me but I'm not employed in my field and I don't plan to be in the future. I planned well and paid for school as I went. It was about life experience. My dh waited until he was older and knew what he wanted to do. He not only provides for our family based on his degree he also finds a great deal of personal satisfaction in his work. We do have debt from his school and will for several more years. So my questions is - do you know what you want to do? Is there a way to do it with out a degree? Can you get creative and do an internship, an apprenticeship, freelance, something like that? If you know your dream and it is only attainable through a degree then get the degree.

#22 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Yes, absolutely. I was a non-traditional student. I attended the first two years at a community college then took a few years off to work part time and parent. I transfered to a local university and earned a BS with honors. I worked my way through college and I also had help from my parents. I was very lucky. I actually landed a job in my career field before I even graduated and I graduated during this recession. I also make more money than I ever had before and there's still plenty of room for growth and advancement. I also make more money than my husband who never went to college. He does labor and production work. He's not interested in college and that's fine with me because college is expensive.

If you're considering college I suggest starting with a community college, continue to work and pay as you go, and make sure you're degree leads to a career.    

Kate~ Mama to two.
#23 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:

I'm a web designer/developer. I made my first website when I was a teenager so I have been doing this kind of stuff for almost half my life. Getting a bachelor's degree definitely expanded my skills some but it's a field that's constantly changing and you really need to be in it to be successful at it -- it's not enough to just have a degree & it's not necessary to have a degree. The people I know who are succeeding in this field without degrees are incredibly talented & passionate and devote a lot of time to educating themselves without formal schooling. I think this is true of a lot of computer-related and art-related specialties. What are you interested in? What are your best skills? What are you going to school for?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#24 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

What are you interested in? What are your best skills? What are you going to school for?

It's such a simple question, but so hard to answer! I am interested in theatre, music, and midwifery. I'm best at planning and researching things. I really enjoy researching a new idea and figuring out what needs to be done to make it happen. I've had a few failed semesters due to being lazy so I am suppose to be taking general classes like English and math this upcoming semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post

So my questions is - do you know what you want to do? Is there a way to do it with out a degree? Can you get creative and do an internship, an apprenticeship, freelance, something like that? If you know your dream and it is only attainable through a degree then get the degree.

I was thinking about doing something like arts administration or web administrator (idk the actual name, but something similar to running a site like this). I would like a flexible job to be able to work from home or even be my own boss! I don't do really well with typical 9-5 same thing every day type of jobs.

I guess its figuring out how to live and go to school at the same time. DP and I both have full pell grants duck.gifthat pay for tuition and books, the loans we have cover our living expenses. We haven't been able to find the balance. DP recently just lost both of her jobs that she was working while going to school.. so we're not as completely lazy as we sound.

#25 of 60 Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:

i work for an agency that provides services  for people with  developmental disabilities.  they hire just about anyone and dont require experience or a degree of any kind.  i make about what DH was making at the call center he worked at. 

#26 of 60 Old 08-17-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Dp and I were talking and I got to wondering. How many of you that have college degrees think it was worth it? I know several people with BS degrees that are working in completely unrelated fields and their degree has done nothing for them. We were talking about would the student loans be worth it in the end or should we figure out another way some how. Based off of your experiences, what do you think?

In terms of money and a career, my degree hasn't really brought much to me.  In terms of personal growth it was very valuable to me.

In my case my degree is in something that I was good at but wasn't really a practical choice for getting a regular job.  I don't even want to work in the field I got a degree in at this point in my life. I would choose a bit differently now.

I have been a SAHM for 12 years. I never really had a job that I would have actually needed my degree. 'm not sure how much it would help right now to have a degree from 16 years ago versus more work experience or more current schooling.

My dh is going to be finishing college after 1 more semester and hopes that it will lead to a broader range of job opportunities and maybe a better salary.  I don't know if he will get a job in his field of study but I do think with his work experience it could lead to something better for him.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#27 of 60 Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yes, definitely! I do have a lot of debt, BUT it will be paid off/forgiven because I work for the government (if you work for a public agency or non profit and pay on your student loan for 120 months, doesn't have to be consecutive, even if you are doing an income-based repayment, the balance of the loan is forgiven, google "public service student loan forgiveness"). I don't make that much yet, but I would not have gotten my last few jobs with out it and having the degree qualifies me for more jobs and promotions.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#28 of 60 Old 08-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)

The degree was worth it.

It was worth it from a non-job standpoint (intellectual stimulation, personal growth) from the get-go.

I wish I could have done it without student debt.  It was a real albatross to start out adult life with a huge debt on our shoulders.  We do make decent money now - but it took years.  My degree has been relevant.  Dh's?  Not so much. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#29 of 60 Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 AM

As someone who worked in a field for years without the degree most people had to get there (finance), I would have said that no, you don't need a degree... you just need determination and hard work... until the recent economic collapse when I got laid off and no one would hire me in my field despite my decade of experience because I didn't have a degree. I went back. And now it doesn't make sense financially for me to get just a BS because I'd end up in the same financial position I was for a decade, but with college debt. Now I'm on my way to grad school and I can't get there without the BS, so it's worth it to me. BUT (and this is a very big "but"), I have a specific goal for which the degree is required. If I didn't have that goal, along with a reasonable expectation of how much money I'll make in the long run, there's no way I'd go into debt for it. Especially as much debt as I'll be in when I get out. Based on the answers to the PPs questions above, I wouldn't waste your money. Put all your time and effort into gaining experience in lower level positions in those fields... for instance, volunteer to be a moderator for MDC (I hear they're looking) and then put it on your resume for when you shop jobs. Also, hire a professional resume writer to appropriately spin your experience toward the jobs you want (I'm available for hire, BTW - *shameless self-promotion*).

Moo.

#30 of 60 Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM

The "to get a degree or not" question I think is going to depend on so many different circumstances.  If you are having trouble deciding, why don't you try submitting a resume and interviewing for positions in the fields you would like to work? That should give you a pretty clear idea of what types of classes/work you would need to do to get to where you want to be. 

I think this question has a different spin when you are talking about going "back" to school to improve quality of life...if the career you ultimately want to go into requires a degree, then obviously you would need to go back to school.  BUT there are ways to work your way into positions with hard work, determination, and by making connections. Just going to school to have a degree without a specific plan can be detrimental.  Many places that are looking for people with a degree that isn't specialized to the field, really just want to see that there is determination and the potential for longevity.  And that you mesh well with the team.  My husband is a programmer and cannot find people to fill the open positions...not because people aren't "qualified" per se, but because they have sucky work ethics or can't work as part of a team...isn't that crazy in this economy?? So it's not always all about the degree, but if there is specialized knowledge needed about the field you want to be in, then it would be good to have a degree, or maybe even some specific classes would suffice. 

FWIW, I have a BS degree in Molecular Biology, worked for a couple of years in the field, then became a SAHM.  I still have a small amount of debt that we are paying off, but should be done soon.  I have found the degree to be worth it...I worked through school and got good grades, so beyond just the degree school taught me a LOT.  When, at some point I return back to work, I will probably need to take some "refresher" classes if I want to go back into the field...at the very least.  If I wanted to make a career in the field, then I would need a lot more schooling.  I don't think that makes my degree useless though.  I'm quite sure that having it is important, and I can use it as a stepping stone into other industries. 

My husband was a double major Math and Computer Science, and works in software.  Again, being in school while working teaches you a lot.  He has a awesome job that he finds fulfilling and he likes going to work.  Definitely worth it, and still paying it off.

That being said, we made these degrees work for us.  We didn't get the degrees to lean on, kwim? A degree isn't something that work's for you, it's a tool you use to get what/where you want.  That's really how you need to look at it.  The degree proves that you are capable of learning the information, but YOU need to prove that you are capable of actually doing the job.  There is a difference there, and some people forget that.  I would never recommend that someone get a degree "just because".  There should be intent there. 

ETA: Obviously you should take into consideration the cost of the degree vs income in the field as well.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page