Lead free Slow Cookers / Crock Pots - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cross posted in Health & Healing / Nutrition:

It's been awhile since I've seen a thread on lead free Slow Cookers / Crock Pots

This is a 2009 blog article that might be helpful to anyone looking for an inexpensive Slow Cooker. I was put off by the possibility of lead and/or cadmium in the glaze used on ceramic inserts. 

This blogger took a number of slow cookers to be tested for lead and she was surprised that none of them had any lead in them.

Of course, as she accurately points out, that is no guarantee due to the "weasle wording" manufacturers use regarding not using "added lead" and a number of other factors such as a new color, a bad batch and/or a lapse in quality control.  And, this blog article doesn't directly address the issue of cadmium.

However, I am now thinking about getting a Rival Crock Pot if I cannot find a used Zojirushi Rice Cooker.

I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

Quote:

(11/09) The skinny on lead in crock pots – It may surprise you! (Terminal Verbosity / Blog)

http://www.terminalverbosity.com/2009/11/09/the-skinny-on-lead-in-crock-pots-it-may-surprise-you/

Obviously, I did not test every crock pot on the market, nor can testing half a dozen crock pots on a single day account for things like a bad (read “lead-laden”) batch of glaze or a new color that uses slightly different chemicals. Some of the manufacturers themselves certainly seem to be leaving the door open for using lead in the glaze if they need to. But we tested the following crocks this morning and, again, they showed ZERO lead:

• West Bend – black
  • Rival – black
  • Rival – dark green
  • Rival – beige
  • Rival – white
  • Hamilton Beach – white
  • Crock pot – black

~Cath

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Interesting. Off to check my crockpot...

Tags
Frugality
User Tag List