potato recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

So we need to have a VERY frugal month coming up (maybe two, hopefully not more!).   Potatoes were on sale buy one get one free.  So I have 10 lbs of potatoes and two hungry kids.  Mashed potatoes, oven fried potatoes are pretty common for us.  I really don't fry anything in oil.  Suggestions, please?  Main dishes would be really nice.

#2 of 16 Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

baked potato (chives, sour cream, cheeses... fill it up)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#3 of 16 Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Potato salad is the first thing that comes to mind because it's still really hot here and will be for a while. 

Potato chowder is delicious, if it's cooler where you are. You can add a can of salmon for some extra protein. 

Latkes or rosti are easy to make, if you don't mind using a little oil. You can add veggies like shredded zucchini or cooked, diced cauliflower, or corn kernels to the "pancake" batter and increase the nutritional value. I serve rosti for dinner with some bacon and tomato. 

Hope some of those ideas appeal to you. 

#4 of 16 Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh, and potato curry! You can toss in all sorts of extra veggies - peas, diced carrot, cauliflower...... yum!! 

#5 of 16 Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is a potato fiend!! Some favorites:

Irish nachos http://whatsgabycooking.com/irish-nachos/ (use beans instead of meat to make it even more frugal).

Homefries (sauteed, not deep fried!) with onions and mushrooms and black beans

Roasted potatoes -- add in other veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash, onions, garlic, and your favorite spices. Use as a side dish or mix in some protein (my favorite is with toasted pecans, using fall spices like nutmeg & a dash of cinnamon).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 16 Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We've been eating more taters than usual recently, also for reasons of cheapness. Here's what we've had:

-Microwaved whole potatoes (baked or steamed would work just fine if you're anti-microwaving, I was just lazy) - sliced thickly and fried in butter. Had 'em this morning with a fried egg each, for a nice big breakfast.

-Leek and potato soup (or onion and potato, which is cheaper) - either chunky with small cubes of potato, or pureed

-Baked (microwaved) potatoes with the middles scooped out, mixed with cheese, onion, garlic, herbs, tomato paste, peas and corn; stuffed back in, topped with more cheese and sesame seeds, and baked until golden.

-Parboil or steam potatoes until partly cooked, and slice very thinly. Layer in a casserole dish with thin slices of onion, cheese, garlic and herbs (thyme or rosemary), and then either drizzle with olive oil and roast until done, or mix some egg with milk, cream, sour cream or yoghurt (or a mixture), pour over and bake until done.

-If I want to make mashed potatoes more exciting, I roast a lot of garlic (at least half a head) and mash it in, with some cheese, cream, butter, salt and pepper. It's gorgeous. You can add finely-chopped spinach, silverbeet, bok choy etc to mash as well; or pumpkin, kumara etc. Leftovers are really nice fried in butter for breakfast.

Hope your finances start looking up soon!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 16 Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Apparently, you can also make candy out of potatoes!

http://www.southernplate.com/2010/12/old-fashioned-potato-candy.html

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#8 of 16 Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM

I have a different candy recipe for mashed potatoes.

Baked potatoes, hashbrowns, potato skins, scalloped potatoes

#9 of 16 Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM

I second latkes or potato pancakes! We eat a lot of those around here, can experiment with toppings, with some onions in them, top with sour cream, or eat them with sugar or apple sauce. Can mix zucchini or shredded carrots.. I am Polish and we often had meatless dinners, such as potato pancakes once a week. Also, breakfast for dinner type meals, like eggs and a side of roasted potatoes, or an omelet with veggies in it, peppers and onions and potatoes,   or breakfast burrritoes with eggs, potatoes and beans in a tortilla...

familybed2.gif, bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIF, mom to DS winky.gif 6 and DD 3 and a wife to DH for 12 years partners.gif  veganeat.gif,
#10 of 16 Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 AM

I second potato chowder. We do a corn and potato chowder. Very cheap, very delicious, can be made in big, cheap batches to last for a few days as leftovers. The recipe I use is from the Student's Vegetarian Cookbook (which has lots of good, cheap recipes) but I'm sure there are a million chowder recipes out there. 

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#11 of 16 Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all.  Great ideas.  In fact, since it is cool today, a potato chowder sounds just about perfect!

#12 of 16 Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If you have cream or milk and some cheese then potatos au gratin are cause for a celebration.

We rarely fry but love latkes.

#13 of 16 Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I made some potato corn chowder tonight with fresh corn from the farmers market.  Excellent.  Wasn't sure the kids would love it (they are good at eating even when they don't love things, though!).  But they ate it all up with some fresh sliced tomatoes on the side.  It was delicious!  And very easy!  AND way cheap!

#14 of 16 Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM

My family also likes potato soup, not necessarily creamed (although baked potato soup is delicious!).  But if you cook small pieces of potato in stock (I use chicken) and add bay leaves and a little thyme, and season with sour cream and pepper or paprika - it's very good.  If you use short stock and thicken it with a bit of flour, you can even use it as a side dish.

#15 of 16 Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

I made some potato corn chowder tonight with fresh corn from the farmers market.  Excellent.  Wasn't sure the kids would love it (they are good at eating even when they don't love things, though!).  But they ate it all up with some fresh sliced tomatoes on the side.  It was delicious!  And very easy!  AND way cheap!

Any particular recipe you used?  I used to have a great one but lost it somewhere.

#16 of 16 Old 08-31-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

This is the one I use

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-chowder-soup-i/

It wasn't clear whether or not to drain the vegetables after cooking them and before adding the milk mixture.   I decided to just cover the vegetables and not to drain them.  I also added small amount of chicken stock to replace some of the water.   And I left out the cheese entirely because neither my kids or I can consume that much cheese at any one meal!  I think a nice sprinkle of shredded cheese on top of the bowl of soup might be better.  Also, I used fat free milk because that was what I had.  And my son (picky eater) liked it but asked for more corn next time.  Seems pretty reasonable to me....

tiqa likes this.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page