Using the Jar / Envelope Method - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone use, or has anyone used the jar or envelope method of budgeting? (ie. putting a set amount into a 'food' 'gas' etc., jar every week or month)

Did/do you find it successful? Did you cheat, and just use debit or credit once the jar runs out?

I am desperate to cut down on our misc spending. We have a large amount of 'extra' or 'leftover' money every month, and we just end up spending it on nothing!

My loose plan is to try to stick to a budget and roll over any 'extra' money at the end of the month into our TFSA. I am hopeful that using the jar method might help, since we can see the money disappearing as we spend it.

Anybody have any advice / btdt / plans they use? If you do use the jars, what catagories do you use?

Thanks!

Happy wife of Mr. Rabbit; proud momma to DS1 (07.07.09), DS2 (02.11.11) and expecting baby #3 01.27.13.

#2 of 3 Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Allocate some of that extra money (but not all of it, just start w/ a small amount) to the TFSA or some other budget category and pay it at the beginning of the month. With the rest, allow for some overflow. I budgeted the left over money in my account for clothing, hair, food splurge, etc

I use the envelop method in theory. The money is left in a bank account, but its listed on my spreadsheet as "envelop" ... for expenses that are paid quarterly or not so often (vet,insurance,dentist)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#3 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I use the envelope method and I do find it helps me keep my spending in check.  I use it for groceries, clothing, and misc.  I found it was easier to use my debit card to pay at the pump at a gas station so I wasn't tempted by the junk food there.  I made myself a little fabric pouch with 3 zippered areas to put money from food (biggest category), then clothing, and misc.  Sometimes I take money from the misc pouch to pay for food, but at least it keeps that spending in check.  I also have a pad of paper for list making and a calculator to add up cost while in the grocery store so I stay within my budgeted amount.

There are other  people that use this method over on the "Getting Out of Debt in September 2012" that might also be able to give you some encouragement to keep at spending in this way.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page