Eligible for Unemployment benifits ?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I worked at my last job out of state for 7 years..I left on good terms with a good notice..But we had to leave due to economy being better here and domestic violence problem..Would I be eligible to collect unemployment benifits until I find another job??

#2 of 5 Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Usually you can't collect unemployment benefits if you left willingly. Generally they are available only to workers who were laid off or let go on good terms. If you are involved in a DV program, there might be some way around this, because fleeing for your safety would certainly fall under 'just cause' for quitting your last job. (I would leave out the part about moving because the economy is better.) I would apply and see what happens, knowing you may need to provide some personal details and/or appeal their initial decision. Also look into other programs you may be eligible for -- sometimes there are grants/financial assistance for those in DV programs to help them get back on their feet, or you may qualify for emergency food stamps, medical assistance, etc. Bottom line, I'm sure there is some way for you to get some kind of financial help, and UE does sound like a good place to start!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes to all the above! Some DV programs have advocates who are specifically familiar with local programs and eligibility, even if you are not in their shelter or other programs. It is really hard to find the resources in a new area, and it helps to have a local guide.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#4 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks..I having such a hard time finding a job right now I think I will try..We really need to find our own place to live because the stress of living with relatives is getting to both me and my child..But I need money to do that...

#5 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would file and wait for a determination from the state.

Kate~ Mama to two.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page