October No-Spend Challenge~ TRICKING the pocketbook and TREATING the savings!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 167 Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations Ladies!! Some of us are really meeting our goals this month. Honeybee80 you inspire me!!!

Greenmamato2 I hear you on the food thing (I also work in social services with families incl. children). The cooler in the car sounds like a good idea, or the food bank on wheels, granola bars in the trunk, etc. Great ideas.

Tealsmith83 - Happy Birthday!

Fillingmyquiver - Don't be so hard on yourself!

15/10 - stayed longer at daycare in the morning to nurse ds and comfort him, so I ended up being nearly late for work and had to park right next to our building. $15 UGH - took it from my weekly $20 "spending money"

16/10 - got the stupid freaking gel nails and tips taken off because they were getting caught and hurting my nail beds!!! Then I needed my nails tidied up so they would be presentable at work, where I use my hands a lot and people constantly look at them. $40 unbudgetted spending. $1.50 for coffee. On the updside, I parked far away from work for free and cycled the rest of the way. Saved on parking and tokens! Yeah! thumb.gif

My kids' school has a Ukele club starting and my girls are soooo interested. $140/child for early bird fee. Today. Ugh.

Otherwise my plan is no more unbudgeted spending for the rest of the week! month! year! (Hahaha okay gotta start small)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#62 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome!!!  Jump in at ANY time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

OK I'm going to jump in for the remainder of the month.

#63 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 AM

Happy Birthday Tealsmith!

#64 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 AM

The shopping bug has bitten me.

I've already ordered more stuff on line for the girls for Christmas.  The stuff is in my "cart" but I haven't clicked check out yet.  I'm fighting this urge tooth and nail.  It comes in waves.

And that wave seems to coincide with payday...which was Monday.

I need to get a handle on my emotions and try to figure out why I go through these spend, spend, spend periods.  Part of it is too much time on the internet.  Internet adds work very well on me. 

It is insidious how they pick up on what you have been shopping for online and then show those little adds in the sidebars with the exact thing you were looking for...and a few other models just like it.  They know how to push my buttons.

I think today my plan is to CLEAN my house.  Cleaning all this stuff usually helps make me not want to buy more of it.

Today will be a very hard day for me.  I really want to earn a no-spend today.

#65 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

I need to get a handle on my emotions and try to figure out why I go through these spend, spend, spend periods.  Part of it is too much time on the internet.  Internet adds work very well on me. 

I do the SAME thing!  I think it's related to PMS and feeling inadequate about things for some reason.  I've also been journaling trying to figure out if I can nail down what exactly it is that makes me spend.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#66 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

I've also been journaling trying to figure out if I can nail down what exactly it is that makes me spend.

That's what this thread is for me!  My online journal when the spending gets out of hand.  Lol

#67 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 AM

So far I wanted to go out shopping, but a close friend couldn't go with me and talked me down.  I stayed home and cleaned instead.  I'm making dinner right now.  If I can stay busy, I won't shop.

My plan is to rake the yard and keep cleaning the house.  I'm giving myself a pre-emptive thumb.gif for the day.  I hope it is still there tonight!

Quote:

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  $92 snow boots, snowshoes, long underwear.  Winter is long in Vermont.  You need gear.

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

16..  $51 Christmas presents

17..  thumb.gif

Goal:  15 No Spend Days this month 

Progress:  5 days so far  thumb.gif

#68 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Today I'm going shopping, its all long awaited budgeted stuff, (pants, tools, groceries) but its all the latte's along the way that are the hard part! Maybe since its one of my few days out without a kid tagging along I'll treat myself to one beverage. But this is when it gets hard. At home, there are few temptations its when I need to venture out it gets hard! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#69 of 167 Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM

10/1:  no spend joy.gif

10/2:  no spend joy.gif

10/3:  no spend joy.gif

10/4:  no spend joy.gif

10/5:  no spend joy.gif

10/6:  budgeted spending thumb.gif gas $40, windshield wiper $13

10/7:  budgeted spending thumb.gif groceries $41

10/8:  no spend joy.gif

10/9:  no spend joy.gif

10/10: no spend joy.gif

10/11: no spend joy.gif

10/12: no spend joy.gif

10/13: budgeted spending thumb.gif groceries $37, misc. $5, DD's bday party $36, $5 beer

10/14: no spend joy.gif

10/15: budgeted spending thumb.gif DD's field trip $3.25

10/16: no spend joy.gif

10/17: no spend joy.gif

My DD's birthday is tomorrow and I spaced that birthday party day is a different day, meaning I'd need a cake of sorts tomorrow, as well as the cupcakes I have planned for Saturday.  Well, my grandma came to the rescue (totally unexpectedly!)  She sent DD a card in the mail today with a 10 dollar bill and a note to get ourselves a treat with it, so we're gonna go to Whole Foods tomorrow after dinner and DD will get to pick out something special from the bakery there.  Perfect timing and that means I don't have to spend tomorrow!  

#70 of 167 Old 10-18-2012, 03:18 AM

Yes!  Yesterday stayed a no-spend day.  A small victory...but a hard one to win.

Today the girls are going out for pizza with friends...but if I can just spend the pizza money and nothing else, I'll be content.

Quote:

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  $92 snow boots, snowshoes, long underwear.  Winter is long in Vermont.  You need gear.

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $ Pizza for the kids

#71 of 167 Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 AM

Ugh...not a terrible day yesterday, but did spend $9.00 at DQ on ice cream after church.  Also had to put more time on my phone so that cost me another $50.00.  Will have to go to the grocery store this afternoon, but I consider that budgeted spending.  All in all, I guess we could be doing better, but I'm not totally upset.  At least the spending has been somewhat curtailed since school started back.  During the summer, it seemed like a free-for-all!  nut.gif

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#72 of 167 Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Key:

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30min

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

4. knit.gif irked.gif  Had to bring DS2 in to the dr for a uti, appt was right at lunch time and didn't pack anything.  $25 copay, $45 for antibiotics, $30 for lunch for me and 5 kids.  yikes2.gif expensive day

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

6.  irked.gif  Ended up having to buy a few extra things at the Scout Shop and overspent the grocery budget, frustrating b/c we stuck to the grocery list, prices on some of the items have gone up.

7.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif  Registration for DS1 and DH for scouting (budgeted).  Ended up being less than I thought it would be (thankfully).

9.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

10.  knit.gif irked.gif  Ate out for lunch $30!!  Ugh, this should be the last time for the month.  Had a MW appt and needed to eat right after, poor planning and all.  Also, DH had a dentist appt, $75 OOP.

11.  thumb.gif knit.gif

12.  thumb.gif

13.  thumb.gifknit.gif

14.  thumb.gif

15.  irked.gif  DH was working from home and decided to grab lunch out for all of us, $40 later redface.gif  Also bought some clothes on zuliliy for myself ($95), something I haven't done in a long time and DH said I should indulge in.  Now I'm feeling guilty, even though what I bought was at great prices and are classic pieces I'll wear for a long time and often.

16.  thumb.gif

17.  thumb.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#73 of 167 Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Doing.... OK.  Definitely not doing no-spend, but I am budgeting ok.  We paid up a month early on the car last month, and may try to do that again this month if things fall into place financially to do so. I think it should.  We're caught up on all our main bills - the ones we need to survive. 

One thing I am realizing as I work through this challenge is that I need to set specific financial goals and work on them bit by bit.  Measured success is a good thing, and helps me keep moving forward.  We've been trying to pay down a debt too, and managed to put $40 on it that we didn't *have* to this last paycheck.  It feels good to at least make a small dent.

My big downfall right now is eating out.  I"m not sure how to correct that.  I need to get better about packing lunches.  I don't know why it seems like such a challenge.  Part of the problem is that I am in the car most of the day and often have my clients with me.  I don't feel comfortable eating in front of them, especially if I don't bring them something.  It usually winds up that I grab something out for me AND my client, which is totally undoing the whole point of me working.  It is hard not to feed them though - they are low-income and rarely have food to spare, and are usually hungry by the time I pick them up.  Maybe I can start bringing snacks for clients as well, like a baggie of pretzels and a banana and a bottle of water.  I don't really know what else to do.

#74 of 167 Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM

10/13: budgeted spending thumb.gif groceries $37, misc. $5, DD's bday party $36, $5 beer

10/18: budgeted spending thumb.gif laundry quarters $20 (will last about 6-8 weeks)

Surfacing likes this.

#75 of 167 Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:

The shopping bug has bitten me.

I've already ordered more stuff on line for the girls for Christmas.  The stuff is in my "cart" but I haven't clicked check out yet.  I'm fighting this urge tooth and nail.  It comes in waves.

And that wave seems to coincide with payday...which was Monday.

It is insidious how they pick up on what you have been shopping for online and then show those little adds in the sidebars with the exact thing you were looking for...and a few other models just like it.  They know how to push my buttons.

I think today my plan is to CLEAN my house.  Cleaning all this stuff usually helps make me not want to buy more of it.

Today will be a very hard day for me.  I really want to earn a no-spend today.

Crunchy*VT*Mom - you did an amazing job!!! Congratulations for making it a no spend day. Sometimes the desire to spend is overwhelming, isn't it? I'm so proud of you. :o))))))

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#76 of 167 Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

15/10 - $15 Parking (unplanned)

16/10 - $40 unbudgetted spending for nails, $1.50 for coffee, $140/child x 2 for early bird fee. All unplanned spending.

17/10 - $30 birthday lunch for myself and a friend

18/10 - $15 parking unplanned - kids were impossible to get out of bed, we were all running late. I am so sick right now and was dragging myself around. I had to park again so I wouldn't be late for work.

:o(((((( My issues seem to be: Unplanned things coming up with the kids, not saying "no" to the friend and children (even after lots of consideration re: ukelele club - it was not on impulse).

And the debt just keeps piling.

That's gotta stop.

#77 of 167 Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 AM

I had some banking issues yesterday (read: bounced a check)  duh.gif so it should be easier than ever not to spend today. Grrrrr...

This weekend I need to sit down with my budget and figure out what went wrong. 

Quote:

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  $92 winter gear

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $24 Pizza for the kids

#78 of 167 Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato2 View Post

My big downfall right now is eating out.  I"m not sure how to correct that.  I need to get better about packing lunches.  I don't know why it seems like such a challenge.  Part of the problem is that I am in the car most of the day and often have my clients with me.  I don't feel comfortable eating in front of them, especially if I don't bring them something.  It usually winds up that I grab something out for me AND my client, which is totally undoing the whole point of me working.  It is hard not to feed them though - they are low-income and rarely have food to spare, and are usually hungry by the time I pick them up.  Maybe I can start bringing snacks for clients as well, like a baggie of pretzels and a banana and a bottle of water.  I don't really know what else to do.

I don't see this as your downfall, but as a really really NICE thing to do.  Since it happens so regularly, I would start packing lunches for yourself and your client ("I'm going to have a sandwich while we drive...I have an extra...would you like one too?") and chalk that up as a charitable contribution to society.  You are a good person.

#79 of 167 Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:

I don't see this as your downfall, but as a really really NICE thing to do.  Since it happens so regularly, I would start packing lunches for yourself and your client ("I'm going to have a sandwich while we drive...I have an extra...would you like one too?") and chalk that up as a charitable contribution to society.  You are a good person.

I agree!

#80 of 167 Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Thank you guys so much - I really appreciate that.  We're not in a great financial situation, but I have a job and a car and that's more than most of my clients can say (and more than we could say a year ago so I can relate and want to help).

I am going to work on doing better with planning my lunches.  I plan our dinners and snacks at home throughout the week without any problem. I just need to make it a habit.  I even went and found a bunch of containers at the thrift store that wound up being free after my "reward points" there, so I don't have any excuses, except lack of planning.  I am not going to work again until next week, so I have plenty of time to plan. :)  We'll hope next week goes better.

#81 of 167 Old 10-19-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  $92 winter gear

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

19..  thumb.gif

Progress:  6 days so far  thumb.gif

#82 of 167 Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM

10-17 - Budgeted Spending only! thumb.gif

10-18 - Small un-budget spending: DH ran to a store to return something (they replaced it free!) and on the way home he stopped at Star Bucks eyesroll.gif

Hoping to make today a NO SPEND day. Though We are paying the neighbor cash for changing my oil yesterday, we went to pay him last night but he was asleep, so I consider that already gone. 

#83 of 167 Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 PM

* Planned spending today so far - Got a few things for DD's birthday, and her friend's birthday on a great clearance price on Amazon.  Both of them are done for birthdays now (except for birthday food and a few more small decorations for DD's party in Nov).  Also planning on supporting DD's school with a pizza order for dinner tonight.

#84 of 167 Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 AM

CrunchyVTmom -- congrats on the 6 no spend days. I feel you on the pain of a bounced check. Been there. Did you figure out what went wrong?

Greenmamato2 -- it sounds encouraging that you have some time before working again next week, so you can plan the lunches.

Et moi? My dirty laundry:

15/10 - $15 unbugetted Parking (unplanned)

16/10 - $40 unbudgetted spending for nails, $1.50 for coffee, $140/child x 2 for early bird fee. All unplanned spending.

17/10 - $30 unbudgetted birthday lunch for myself and a friend

18/10 - $15 unbugetted parking unplanned - kids were impossible to get out of bed, we were all running late. I am so sick right now and was dragging myself around. I had to park again so I wouldn't be late for work.

19/10 - Day off to run errands. Grabbed a quick lunch for $6 which I can take from our monthly food budget. Otherwise pretty good!

I have yet to have a no spend day. Hmm. Being conscious and aware is the first step.

#85 of 167 Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Wow, this thread has been so active this month - awesome!

I am behind a bit on recording but here goes:

10/11-10/13 - no spend

10/14 - bday gifts for DS - budgeted - spent $20

10/15 no spend

10/16 no spend

10/17 took DS out to dinner for his birthday - my contribution to the bill $30 - budgeted. SO picked up the rest of the tab

10/18 $45 to the eye doctor. Now I had called ahead to find out what I would have to pay - ie what my insurance wouldn't pick up. They had told me $35 - which I had budgeted for.

When I got there, it had mysteriously turned into $45. Argh!

10/19 payday - haven't figured out the damage on this day yet - update later.

GOOD LUCK! to everyone

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 223/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#86 of 167 Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM

10/18: budgeted spending thumb.gif laundry quarters $20 (will last about 6-8 weeks)

10/19: no spend joy.gif

Today is DD's bday party--all the supplies are bought, but I need to make a bunch of stuff this morning, so I hope I really do have everything I need!  My kids' school has their fall festival today, too, and I'm hoping to make it no spend.  They each got 3 free tickets, so I'm hoping that satisfies what they think they need to do there.  For being 2/3 of the way through the month, I'm pretty stoked with what I've got left.  $92 in grocery money (2 more shopping trips), $80 in gas money (will need to fill up in the next few days), $65 in miscellaneous money.  

#87 of 167 Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Yesterday I also got coffee for a friend who was having a really rough day, and bought 3 more gifts for Christmas that were on a crazy sale.

Today I have no idea what to expect.  I am supposed to take my kiddos out to breakfast with a friend, and then hopefully to the pumpkin patch.  It is planned spending, but I'm not sure if we're going to do it because friend isn't feeling very good.  We may have to reschedule for next weekend.  Hubby is getting a little gas in a borrowed truck that he needed to use today, and a cheap lunch out since he can't take it with him today. 

I am making a meal in the crock pot that will be totally free from food my MIL dropped of yesterday so that helps a lot with the budget!! <3

Crunchy*VT*Mom likes this.
#88 of 167 Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Today was not a good day.  I ordered some music on Amazon before I remembered that I wasn't spending.  And normally I don't count food expenses (food is necessary) but cake and ice cream?????

That's just an indulgence.

I'll do better tomorrow.

Quote:

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  $92 winter gear

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

19..  thumb.gif

20.. $9 MP3 downloads, $15 cake and ice cream

Progress:  6 days so far  thumb.gif

#89 of 167 Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

I have yet to have a no spend day. Hmm. Being conscious and aware is the first step.

I agree 100%.  Even if you don't have a no spend day...I bet you have spent LESS than you would have otherwise just because you are trying to get one no-spend.  Being conscious is what it is all about.

I started participating in these threads years ago -- and the first few months I was shocked at how hard it was for me to go even one day without spending money.  It truly is something that we do unconsciously.

#90 of 167 Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM

10-17 - Budgeted Spending only! thumb.gif

10-18 - Small un-budget spending: DH ran to a store to return something (they replaced it free!) and on the way home he stopped at Star Bucks eyesroll.gif

10-19 - Unbudgeted spending: greensad.gif

Yesterday I found out that an amazing local skate camp (see my name) is doing open skate weekends and I've been wanting to check it out. But helmets were required, and I didn't have one. So I bought one, and then had to pay to skate too. The helmet is something I needed eventually, but didn't plan on buying one now. Boy did I enjoy having a night out though. I'm so out of shape after 3 years off lol. I'm hurting today. So far so good today, though we will probably spend money on dinner, but I was planning on it, since my sister is moving. I knew today would be a little crazy. 

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page