We need a new furnace! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just bought a new house and need to buy a new furnace for it (planned). It's a natural gas forced hot air heating and cooling system.

The HVAC guy offered us two choices (both Trane furnaces).

One is $3200 with a $120 rebate from the utility company. It's a good furnace - 95% efficient, programmable thermostat, etc.

The other is a higher end model for $4300 with a $420 rebate from the utility company. Apparently this furnace can operate at different speeds so as not to use as much energy on warmer days and is somehow more efficient.

We live in the northeast so it gets cold in the winter! We are hoping to live in this house for about 15 years, so there would be some long-term savings - maybe?

Anyone have any words of wisdom?                                

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I tend to find that (not always the case however!) that if you are  only few bucks apart on an already pricey item it's usually wiser to go with the higher end ones.

However, since they are two different styles of operation i'd do some research and see how much can be saved on average with second model over first, and what expected lifetime of both units is.

you may find that while the more expensive one has more bells and whistles it may have a shorter lifespan, or really only save you a few bucks a month.

my parents live near chicago and my mom was griping about her gas bill in winter and I said listen here mom...my electric in the summer is almost TRIPLE what your gas bill is. kiss it! :P

the furnace they use is a trane, but its decades old. So I can't offer up any advice on the newer models....

But the HVAC should be able to give you some idea as to lifespan and expected savings, and google around for models and see what reports are.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page