Cheap foods funny - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've already commented in other threads how i'm surprised the way my mom fed us didn't lead to scurvy or rickets (altho i'm a healthy 5'9 and sis is 5'11, and brother is 6'3) ....

I came across this thread today

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/269261

I'm actually REALLY surprised mom never did this! seems like her style between serving buttered cooked noodles with salt and butter and on a rare occasion kraft parm cheese dust. And she eats ketchup and white bread sandwiches (ewww!) even today.

Anyone else have any odd cheap foods they grew up eating?

Its not really from my childhood but grew out of my childhood.

I eat my baked potatoes with sour cream and A1 (but I don't eat steaks)

and my cottage cheese with bacos. only bacos. no sub branding allowed! and the kids want "the red stuff" with their cottage cheese too!

#2 of 53 Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When I was a poor young adult, I would eat pasta with mayo and salt. I dindn't have any spaghetti sauce nor did it cross my mind to spend extra money on it. I still eat it that way once in a while :)

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#3 of 53 Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Lol.....hope I don't offend you by saying i totally went "ewww!" when I read your reply. but I wanted to make ehh...deviled eggs or something the other day and realized the container of mayo (unopened!) was expired in 2008.

Suffice to say, I never eat mayo.

The only thing i've ever used mayo with/in/whatever was very sparingly for tuna salad (which I don't eat anymore), egg salad (never ate but ex liked it), and deviled eggs (usually once every 2yr project)

I use just enough to bind and mustard to make up the diff....lol

my stepdad and stepsisters would fight over who got to lick off the mayo knife. they had a knife specifically for mayo. yeah...

I have no idea why the aversion, because it's not gross. must have been one of those subliminal fat things I got from my mom!

I know that my food oddities are kinda gross tho, so feel free to mock me :)

#4 of 53 Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

At first it sounded weird - spaghetti and ketchup - but then I realized I put ketchup on mac and cheese, so maybe its not that far off. In college, I ate a lot of pasta and melted butter and salt. Or rice and butter.  I still love mac and cheese (kraft dinner).   Just ate to nourish although that may not have been the must nourishing meal. 

My son only likes melted butter on his pasta too, ketchup though we have never tried.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#5 of 53 Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My brother used to eat ketchup sandwiches as a kid. The cheapest for me was ramen noodles in college - not that odd, though! The oddest was probably milk soup - milk heated up with pasta in it & some butter. Maybe that's an Eastern European thing like the pigs' feet in aspic we ate (I really liked it as a kid). My aunt ate rice with jam. We also poured milk over jello, and I still like that.

PS I would totally fight to lick the mayo knife! lol.gif

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#6 of 53 Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Oh man.  Gross thread.lol.gif

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#7 of 53 Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My brother and I ate white bread, slathered with margarine, and covered with white sugar. As much as we could get to stick. Somehow, we survived childhood.

Momsteader likes this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#8 of 53 Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

My brother and I ate white bread, slathered with margarine, and covered with white sugar. As much as we could get to stick. Somehow, we survived childhood.

I remember that delicacy.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 53 Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 AM

;I spent many a college nights eating saltines with jelly for dinner - because those were free things I could stash in my pockets from the campus cafeteria :)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#10 of 53 Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Mustard sandwiches.  Store brand, of course, before store brands were cool.  (However, we never had those black-and-white-labeled products.  Yes, folks, not too far in the past, generic food really had a white label with black lettering  "CREAMED CORN".  *That* was generic!)

Cheerios with milk and store brand pancake syrup.

These were my snacks after school.  I also discovered that if you dropped unsweetened koolaid (mixed with just a tad bit of water) into the sugar canister, you got these wads of cherry-flavored goo that you could pick up.  Yup, we were latchkey kids!

Mostly, my mom made some yummy, not-too-weird food, if you don't consider canned spinach, dehydrated onions and garlic weird (I didn't see a fresh onion until I was 19).  One favorite my dad made was "rice scramble".  You browned a pound of hamburger (*not* lean!), mixed in powdered gravy mix (like Lawry's in the packets)  then added water and white rice.  Absolutely my favorite!  But not funny, just thought I'd mention that one.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#11 of 53 Old 10-12-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

I remember that delicacy.  

We ate "cinn sugar sandwiches" which was like cinn/sugar toast, minus the toast. LOL....

PB+J was high brow for my school lunches. Occasionally i'd get some carl budding meat, but unlike now where I use 1 packet on 2 sandwiches, we had to make atleast 6 out of one. basically meat flavored bread. LOL.

the two most common lunch sandwiches we ate were cinn/sugar/butter, or cheez whiz sandwiches. EW.

and my mom eats grape jelly on saltines for a snack, I have never tried it in my life I don't think. I have a weird thing not only with textures but with salty/sweet combos. I don't do em! no chocolate covered pretzels, no pineapple in my cottage cheese. I like my savory foods savory and salty foods salty :P

oh, and sweetsilver - I have a dish I make somewhat similar now...although it's been awhile. Brown ground beef, add tomato sauce or soup, packet of onion soup mix, shredded chedder. Stir in cooked white rice and serve topped with crumbled bacon. Bacon cheeseburger rice!

its um...low fat. yeah...thats it!

#12 of 53 Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We did butter and sugar sandwiches too - on white Wonder bread.

My mother used to make this dinner that my brothers and I called the "yellow supper" - she would make box mac and cheese - bright yellow, frozen fish sticks  from a carton, and a can of yellow wax beans or she would alternate that with a can of creamed corn. We ate it but always wondered why the trouble with the color wheel??

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 228/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $455.31
#13 of 53 Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 AM

My dad made "fish in white sauce". Frozen generic mashed fish in a white sauce that you had to COVER in s&p to get any taste besides lumpy over cooked mush. Served with over boiled potatoes and canned peas cooked until gray in colour. puke.gif I swear I'd puke even SMELLING that meal ever again.

My Grandma use to make "cheap" meals but they were also pretty healthy...not by todays standards but compared to how her kids(my dad and aunts and uncle) cooked a million times better. I think it was the living thru the depression that did it. I always tell my gma to write a book....her response is always "Oh everyone knows how to cook like this!" umm no Grandma not everyone knows how to stretch the worlds smallest roast to feed a family of four for a week lol

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#14 of 53 Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

umm no Grandma not everyone knows how to stretch the worlds smallest roast to feed a family of four for a week lol

I've seen a depression-era chocolate pie recipe that uses 1 Tbsp of cocoa!

#15 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

my mom used to make the canned chicken a la king and minute rice. I SWEAR to all that is good and holy the stuff was less edible than wall paper paste.

It still makes me nauseated to think about it now!

my mom was raised by depression era grandma (my great grandma who died when I was 15, so I knew her fairly well) who had no account for husband who disappeared for years at a time and 3 boys to take care of. she knew how to stretch a buck!

I'm having fond memories now, she had teapot collection (i'm still rather upset that I didn't get one!) and used to make me a teapot of chocolate milk she made with the hersheys in a can, and set it on a old school tv table for me. it was of course her oldest teapot....but I rememeber feeling so special I had a little teapot of chocolate milk all for myself :)

#16 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basylica View Post

my mom used to make the canned chicken a la king and minute rice. I SWEAR to all that is good and holy the stuff was less edible than wall paper paste.
It still makes me nauseated to think about it now!

my mom was raised by depression era grandma (my great grandma who died when I was 15, so I knew her fairly well) who had no account for husband who disappeared for years at a time and 3 boys to take care of. she knew how to stretch a buck!

I'm having fond memories now, she had teapot collection (i'm still rather upset that I didn't get one!) and used to make me a teapot of chocolate milk she made with the hersheys in a can, and set it on a old school tv table for me. it was of course her oldest teapot....but I rememeber feeling so special I had a little teapot of chocolate milk all for myself smile.gif

Might be because I'm pregnant but the teapot milk just made me tear up...

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#17 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well, we had the ingredients in the house but otherwise my mom can't be blamed. Latchkey kids who like to cook can get into a lot of mischief.

Favorites: balogna wrapped around a big tube of miracle whip  or A1 on bread or an entire box of Kraft mac and cheese for a snack

SO GROSS

#18 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM

Mayo sandwiches!

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#19 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Might be because I'm pregnant but the teapot milk just made me tear up...

LOL....I used to think PMS was a myth, but since my kids were born I get breast heavyness/tenderness now, and I def have some mood changes before where I didn't....well, I got serious case of nesting when PMSing from 12 - 24...hahaha...but that was a GOOD thing I thought!

as I sat crazily scrubbing things at 3am with a toothbrush or pulling down my 4 full bookcases of books to alphabetize and catagorize.... *grin*

but I've found myself sobbing at the stupidest stuff right before AF....and i'm like NOT a crier.

had those moments a few times when pregnant too (damn hallmark!!)

I suspect hormones!!

but don't tear up, everytime I think about it...it just makes me smile!

it's one of those memories where you doubt anyone else but you remembers them, but they impact your life signifigantly?

I was working at a huge salvation army store that had clothes/furniture/full pantry/etc. I was moving out the summer clothes and bringing in the winter I believe with my curch youth group, and I recall a "old" woman (probably 30...hahahha) coming in and talking to one of the SA workers and just beaming about how she needed a white dress because she got a job at a hospital changing bedpans and such.

and I could remember thinking "gosh, most people would turn their noses up at such a job, and yet she is SOOO excited" and even though I had a pretty crappy and poor homelife, remembering to be greatful for the things you have and not bemoan the things you don't.

Still think about that whenever I have some materialistic moments, or don't feel like going into work.

For pitys sake I am making a ton of cash to sit and play with computers which I LOVE, and i'm generally amazed they PAY me. I am very very lucky in that regard!

That lady probably doesn't even remember getting that job anymore, but she def made an impression on me :)

#20 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM

We actually ate really well at home. But, we use to sleep over at my grandma's, and we always had the same dinner: Kraft Dinner (think it's Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in the US), Minute Rice, and hot dogs (no bun)...with Pepsi or 7-Up. She also fed us Frankenberries and Count Chocula for breakfast, and if we ate lunch, it was probably KFC or something similar. She provided an endless stream of cookies, candy and ice cream bars. Blech.

The only real hangover I have from that is that I sometimes really crave Minute Rice. I like real rice. I really love brown rice, and I adore the blends, with multiple kinds in them (don't often buy them, as they're pricey). Minute Rice really isn't very good...but sometimes, it's just what I want.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM

I had this one from my grandmother.  Don't know that it was particularly meant to be frugal, but it was so weird:  salad consisting of one half of a canned pear with a scoop of cottage cheese.  Yes, that was the salad... 

#22 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 PM

A couple that I remember were canned baked beans with hot dogs cut up in them and fried bologna sandwiches with ketchup. Also lots of very bizarre jello concoctions for dessert. Lots had canned pineapple in them and I remember one with carrots shredded in the jello.
#23 of 53 Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Carrots on jell-o was normal at my house :-), so were potatos from a can -eeeewwww to both

The weirdest thing my mom ever tried to get us to eat was a banana with Miracle Whip (could not be mayonaise) slathered on it, rolled in crushed peanuts and proudly placed on an iceburg lettuce leaf. Neither my sister or I eat bananas to this day!

#24 of 53 Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

Carrots on jell-o was normal at my house :-), so were potatos from a can -eeeewwww to both

The weirdest thing my mom ever tried to get us to eat was a banana with Miracle Whip (could not be mayonaise) slathered on it, rolled in crushed peanuts and proudly placed on an iceburg lettuce leaf. Neither my sister or I eat bananas to this day!

oh god....I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....*gag*

interesting fact sprung to mind that in the 1800s eating lettuce leaves sprinkled with vinigar and sugar was the norm. Sounds bizarre, but i guess it was a precurser to our salad dressings!

#25 of 53 Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I've seen a depression-era chocolate pie recipe that uses 1 Tbsp of cocoa!

Have you seen the mock apple-pie recipe? The apples are actually crackers! nut.gif

#26 of 53 Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

I had this one from my grandmother.  Don't know that it was particularly meant to be frugal, but it was so weird:  salad consisting of one half of a canned pear with a scoop of cottage cheese.  Yes, that was the salad... 

Mmmmm....canned peaches and cottage cheese!  Love it.  I've never had it with pears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Have you seen the mock apple-pie recipe? The apples are actually crackers! nut.gif

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagher66 View Post

Also lots of very bizarre jello concoctions for dessert. Lots had canned pineapple in them and I remember one with carrots shredded in the jello.

Ahhh.... the jello.  My grandmother(actually both of them) made several strange jello concoctions (whose didn't???)  and had one with lime jello and stuff with mayonnaise.  One always made her fruit salad with mayo, too.  I get that it keeps the salad from browning, but yuck!  I hated choking that stuff down.

No, I hated the jello crap, but the casseroles (any kind) made with condensed cream of mushroom and potato chips were fabulous!

#27 of 53 Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM

I will admit to eating cottage cheese sprinkled with nutritional yeast as a snack.

#28 of 53 Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

speaking of depression era cooking....have you guys met clara?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

She totally reminds me of my great grandma....but the sweet version ;)

She'd need some scotch, a pack of smokes and some more colorful language to do great grandma proud!

#29 of 53 Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

I love Miracle Whip. I love bananas. I like peanuts okay. And, I still feel kind of ill reading that.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#30 of 53 Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basylica View Post

I'm actually REALLY surprised mom never did this! seems like her style between serving buttered cooked noodles with salt and butter and on a rare occasion kraft parm cheese dust. And she eats ketchup and white bread sandwiches (ewww!) even today.

My dad made egg noodles with butter. I liked them with black pepper. He actually made much healthier stuff then my mom. Actually buttered noodles are still yummy, just not healthy so I don't make them much (maybe once a year or less).

My mom made white rice and hamburger. The hamburger was plain ground chuck just broken up and cooked (read: burnt) in a pan. It stemmed from me being on an allergy diet and her not knowing how to cook.

For a while when I was younger I had some roommates that for some reason only ever bought steak and mac and cheese. Being veg I was left with mac and cheese. I got bored and started adding all kinds of thing to it to change it, never ketchup though as I don't like it, but I did do salsa, bbq, steak sauce, various marinades etc....

More recently I found the combo of cheddar cheese and caramel. At least there is some protein in it. :)

ETA: oh, not cheap, but gross. My mom really can not cook. And she has no use for any seasoning other then salt. Our holiday dinners usually included a butterball turkey breast thrown in the crockpot (from frozen with no seasoning) and cooked until it resembled round jerky. I would try to rehydrate it with worcestershire sauce, but it was still dry. On the side would be canned peas heated with butter (the best part of the meal), and cider (the only time we got something to drink besides pop). For desert: store bought pie.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page