5 yr old little girls Halloween Costume - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Least to say I was worried because I didn't have any $$ to buy L a costume because of our ongoing circumstances..Well today was the Trunk Or Treat for the locals and I really wanted to take L because it is so much fun and it is supposed to snow and get super cold next week during the real deal..I was panicking and was trying to think of a way to tell L there would be no costume when she came running out of the backroom with her tutu and wings on..It not only made me smile but I thought why not?? I said L today we will make you any kind of costume you want with what is in that trunk...This is what she pulled out and what we used...

A black purple and Pink tutu skirt(I found a pair of old white spandex pants to wear under).

A pair of pink wings

An old feather witches hat(small and very colorful).

Last years Halloween shirt that ;matches and has a witches face on it:))

A Fairy wand with lots of ribbons.

I asked her what she was going to be??? She said she was Cassie the Good Witch off The Good Witch series on Halllmark(she loves them).

She is happy and I am relieved she is not disapointed  over not getting a new costume..

I posted because sometimes when we are down and feel we can't buy our kids something sometimes it is right there all along:)))

#2 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope you and L have a wonderful time Trick or treating.Her costume sounds very cute.

#3 of 7 Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM

That's wonderful!  My daughter insists on wearing her costume from last year for Halloween parties every year so far!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 AM

Growing up, esp towards my teen years were we broke. not just a little broke....they had around 30k a year to cover 6 growing kids and 2 adults. my youngest sibling being 12.5yrs younger than I (eldest) and my senior year there were 3 of us in HS....

The day of halloween was a mad rush to put some creative costume together using whatever we had laying around. We never bought a thing, and honestly....I have very fond memories of it!

One year I wore my stepdad's leather sleeved letterman jacket from his HS days, wrapped a bandana around my ponytail and cuffed my jeans and went as a bobbysoxer.

Another I wore thrifted jeans (that I wore every day...LOL) that were bell bottoms, a dashiki style shirt my stepdad had from 70s, dried my hair straight and was a hippy.

Yet another year (I was much older, 17? 18? I handed out candy for elderly neighbor every year by then) I found a purple slip at salvation army and wore with a cape my mom had sewed for my halloween costome when I was 5, and went as a vampiress.

I thought the figuring out something clever out of what was laying around was the best part of dressing up!

#5 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basylica View Post

Growing up, esp towards my teen years were we broke. not just a little broke....they had around 30k a year to cover 6 growing kids and 2 adults. my youngest sibling being 12.5yrs younger than I (eldest) and my senior year there were 3 of us in HS....

The day of halloween was a mad rush to put some creative costume together using whatever we had laying around. We never bought a thing, and honestly....I have very fond memories of it!

One year I wore my stepdad's leather sleeved letterman jacket from his HS days, wrapped a bandana around my ponytail and cuffed my jeans and went as a bobbysoxer.

Another I wore thrifted jeans (that I wore every day...LOL) that were bell bottoms, a dashiki style shirt my stepdad had from 70s, dried my hair straight and was a hippy.

Yet another year (I was much older, 17? 18? I handed out candy for elderly neighbor every year by then) I found a purple slip at salvation army and wore with a cape my mom had sewed for my halloween costome when I was 5, and went as a vampiress.

I thought the figuring out something clever out of what was laying around was the best part of dressing up!

That is terrific!!! And inspiring...We may make this a yearly project..It was a lot of fun and she loved it!!!:))

#6 of 7 Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM

We, as a rule, do not buy costumes.Growing up we always made them, and that's the way to go, IMO.

Making them, you get: to keep your money, make an activity of it, come up with something creative and use your imagination, practice practical life skills (baste stitching, cutting, etc), and have an original costume you feel proud of.

Buying them, you get: less money, the stress of shopping, a costume like everyone else's, and one more thing in the house ...and heaven forbid you change your mind on what you're going to be!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#7 of 7 Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

That is awesome! We did buy dd a costume (for $8 at a consignment sale, but still!) and she ended up wanting something else, so I said you can be whatever you want, but you have to pick from what we already have. Well, she had a blast thinking about different constumes, and ended up pulling something together at the last minute that she had never even considered.  She looked great! 

I had tried to do it cheaply to begin with and told the 3 kids they had a limit of $20 apiece, but ended up only spending 8, 8 (both at consignment sale), and 11 (for a poofy dress at goodwill) for their costumes-yay! Next year we will try for $10 or less and be extra creative :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page