November No-Spend Challenge ~ Don't let little purchases gobble gobble up your savings. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 243 Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

nod.gif  Completely agree.  We have to re-evaluate our grocery budget and find a way to increase it.  I think all of my children are going through a collective growth spurt, and the "baby" (she's actually 18mo) is eating almost as much as her 8.5yo brother.  Purchases that used to last us the month are now only making it 3/4 of the way through.

And food prices *ARE* going up.  Every time I go to the store I'm surprised at the price increases!!

Thanks for weighing in Ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

2whistle.gif  I'm not counting his purchase.  This is MY no-spend thread, not the family's.  I didn't spend any money yesterday.  I had a paintbrush in my hand all day!  orngtongue.gif

Good idea!!!!

1) thumb.gif $1.65 coffee at work

2) thumb.gif $1.65 coffee at work, irked.gif really exhausted and had a guest so had dh order pizza instead of cooking supper after work

3) irked.gif Weekend grocery shopping a bit overspent. irked.gif Date night with dh - free overnight at a hotel plus $27.00 for parking!!! Argh!!!! $50 dinner and $20 for evening snacks.

4) joy.gif No spend!

5) thumb.gif $1.65 coffee at work & budgetted spending for pull ups for dd2

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#62 of 243 Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

11/1) Errand day, so no-spend not possible, but we managed to get out of Trader Joe's under $30 and the co-op under $50.  

Gave $20 for a DVD from their riding instructor, intended as part of dd2's birthday presents

11/2)  No spend thumb.gif

11/3)  No spend thumb.gif

11/4)  No spend thumb.gif

11/5   upsidedown.gif  Couldn't quite make this a no spend day because no way was I going 2 mornings without half-n-half for my coffee.  So, $2, plus a newspaper.  I call that good.  Just made a mama and her family a new baby dinner, and as I was making it I realized that I had spent a lot of money for the ingredients.  Between that dinner and 2 parties last month, no wonder my food bill was sky high last month.  Let's hope.

Tomorrow is errand day and I expect some grocery bills, so no-spending not possible, but once again, I can try to bypass the expensive treats and see if I can keep the food bill down.  Food budget goal, including eating out, is $750.  That is mostly organic.  Today's purchase put at us at $166 for the month.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#63 of 243 Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Missed coming on a couple of days! 

11.1 $11 eating out
11.2 No spend!

11.3 $5 DH's birthday breakfast (tried to make it at home, but no potatoes!)

11.4 $5 Gas

11.5 Payday! $75 groceries, $45 gas, $6 lunch (got half it free though!) 

Not doing so well on the no spend days yet, but now that I've gotten some big stuff out of the way today, I'm anticipating more no spend days. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#64 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ugh.  stomach bug.  didn't even think about spending money.  fever.gif

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $195 Christmas presents

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

My goal = 20 No Spend Days

My progress =  2 thumb.gif days so far

#65 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 AM

thumb.gif Budgeted         greensad.gif Not Budgeted/went over      joy.gifSaved $, got freebee, paid something off, worked an extra shift        hang.gif   hung clothes out         

November
1.  DD2 sport workshop $62  budgeted thumb.gif  Working an extra shift tonight joy.gif    and just   hang.gif

thumb.gif  No spend day! I resisted getting lunch out after school.  Instead I came home and made eggs & toast. I hung 2 loads of laundry hang.gif  Picked up extra shift joy.gif

3   thumb.gif No spend day!  hang.gif

4    thumb.gifBought $10 of groceries, also got budgeted wood heating pellets and hang.gif

5    thumb.gif  No spend!   Working an extra shiftjoy.gif

6    thumb.gif hang.gif Working an extra shift today joy.gif

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#66 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 AM

1 - dinner for myself at culvers (8 bucks?) - getting over cold and wanted quick food!

2 - nada!

3 - nada!

4 - nada!

5 - milk, bacon, lunchables (kids love those nasty things!), honey, lunchmeat at store. 10 dollar kindle book

oops! almost forgot. bought 20 dollar itunes UK gift card because downton abby season 3 is on uk itunes. can't use US debit on uk itunes...

6 -

I paid mortgage, moved over my acct surplus into savings friday when I got paid.

Dad said he's sending me a check for plane ticket I bought in july (I told him he didn't have to!) so that should be going into savings this week, and I got my CS deposit notification today (ex gets paid every 2 weeks on same schedule so I know when it happens now!) so I need to hit ATM and take out bulk of $$ and xfer to savings.

Oh, and it's a bad move financially (sorta) but in an effort to get my credit healed, I applied and was approved for capital one secured card. I really don't WANT a CC.....but alas. I want to get my credit all better so I can get approved for a mortgage for a new house when I find one and rent my current one.

I just don't know if I should actually BUY stuff with it and then turn around and pay it the same day, or just having it around helps. *ponder*

#67 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Here's why I join and participate in these threads:

I love to shop.  I love to spend money.  Spending money gives me an endorphin rush.  I don't know why this is, but I like to buy new things and when I buy them I feel like we are moving ahead.

But we are not.  We are actually falling behind. 

Because 9 times out of 10 we need the money in savings more than we need a new shower curtain with pretty purple flowers on it.

But I can't seem to see this when I'm in the store...only when I'm thinking about it in hindsight. 

Money is intangible to me.  Seeing the numbers go up in our savings account does not give me pleasure.  A new Isis jacket gives me pleasure.

So I try to find ways to "trick" myself into feeling like we have gained something when we don't spend money.  Toting up no-spend days and little thumb.gif icons gives me a small jolt of happiness.  (Granted -- very very small -- but at least it is something)

I need something to help me curb my impulse to spend.

Also just to make me more aware of what I do spend our money on.  If I have to write it here, then I think about it for a milisecond before I buy it.  Sometimes that milisecond is all it takes to make me realize the thing I'm about to purchase is a want...not a need. 

I find the "leave your money at home" trick helps a LOT for this. they say you should only bring as much cash as you need for budgeted spending, and if you want that impulse item you need to go home and fetch your debit/credit/cash to buy it.

while I never carry cash and always carry my debit, I consider it the same way generally.

I really hate being around people and crowds. meandering people who get in my way annoy me. I'm there to get in and get out and go home. Even when browsing I walk (i'm told this) exceptionally fast. I walk faster than most people jog. Life is short, you know ;)

So if I find something impulsey....I tell myself I have to come back another day to buy it. Between the desire to avoid said store, and fact i'm usually pretty busy....I end up thinking "nah, not worth the trip into the store again.....it's just a shower curtain I don't need"

heck, i've gone and drooled over dysons at target and other stores I can't even tell you how many times....probably 2-3x a year for 10yrs now. I saw mother's day sale last year and considered it for 5 min before going "nah, mine works fine...silly to pay that when I don't need it...plus crazy expensive!"

I regretted that when my vac crapped out on me this summer. I'd bought 3 cheap ones in probably 7-8yrs and I really don't use them very often. I found a good price (still wishing for MD discount tho!) online and went for it. but in reality i'd been shopping for one for 10- years!

#68 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealsmith83 View Post

Quote:

No spend =  joy.gif

Budgeted spend = thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spend =  irked.gif

1.thumb.gif      Supper with my grandmother

2.joy.gif    No spend!  Yay me!  

3.irked.gif        Oh well...can't be good every day...

4.joy.gifNo spend!

5. irked.gif      Chicken feed, stock up on gasoline while it's down to $3.17/gal.  On the upside, resisted eating out for supper!

Hoping for at least 15 no-spend/budgeted spend days this month. 

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#69 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 AM

Spent about $30 on something totally frivolous yesterday online.  Too much time at home just thinking with nothing to do.  :(

Not planning on spending $ today.

#70 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

crunchy VT mom - stomach bug - that's a drastic way to cut down on your spending! Hope you feel better soon.

11/3 - no spend

11/4  - unbudgeted spend AUGH. went to Target to spend $10 - budgeted for socks for the toddler and OTC meds for me. Forgot about needing dog food - total bill $22.49

11/5 - no spend

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#71 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No spend =  joy.gif

4.joy.gifNo spend!

5. irked.gif      Chicken feed, stock up on gasoline while it's down to $3.17/gal.  On the upside, resisted eating out for supper!

6.joy.gifNo spend!    4 out of 6 so far...pretty good!

Hoping for at least 15 no-spend/budgeted spend days this month. 

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#72 of 243 Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 PM

11/1: no spend shine.gif

11/2: no spend shine.gif

11/3: budgeted spending thumb.gif Costco $130 (once a month trip), Grocery store $42, Stamps $9, Gas $33

11/4: no spend shine.gif

11/5: no spend shine.gif

11/6: no spend shine.gif

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#73 of 243 Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM

6 - no spend

7 -

I may have to travel to oklahoma tomorrow for work so that would mean paying and expensing a bunch of stuff which is always a pain :P

and I need to buy a winter jacket for my eldest and i've settled on target 3in1 jacket (55) and since the guys here (very few women) wear polos and khakis, and I LOATHE polos (the wonky collars offend me) but the boy sizes of the shaun white polos at target fit me and have a plain fabric collar they don't bug me as much....I have one. So i'm thinking of ordering a few more.

#74 of 243 Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM

thumb.gif Budgeted         greensad.gif Not Budgeted/went over      joy.gifSaved $, got freebee, paid something off, worked an extra shift        hang.gif   hung clothes out         

November
1.  DD2 sport workshop $62  budgeted thumb.gif  Working an extra shift tonight joy.gif    and just   hang.gif

thumb.gif  No spend day! I resisted getting lunch out after school.  Instead I came home and made eggs & toast. I hung 2 loads of laundry hang.gif  Picked up extra shift joy.gif

4    thumb.gifBought $10 of groceries, also got budgeted wood heating pellets and hang.gif

7   thumb.gif Might get milk & groceries (Depending on how much I accomplish today)~  I'm supposed to be working an extra shift tonight! joy.gif

Snow is coming today!  I just got word that the kids are being dismissed early from school do to weather forecast!  I have homework to get done and a conference call meeting scheduled in a couple hours.  There was so much that I wanted to get done today...we need groceries and milk delivery is today but the farmer might not make his delivery with snow coming!  At least we have some almond milk left.  I was thinking I was desperate for groceries but I just took inventory and discovered that I can make chili with ground turkey and canned beans!  Might put off the store until another day.  It seems the more I put it off the better I manage stretching what we have!  I also need to get to the hardware store because one of my clothesline separators broke and I need a new one. Better run so I can see how many things I can scratch off my list!     

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#75 of 243 Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Tough tough day today.   I've been a little down about stuff and that makes me want to spend money. 

But we FINALLY put a good chunk of money in savings and I ~~~~really~~~~ want to keep it there.

There is some planned spending tomorrow.  I have to pick up my daughter's skiis that we were having work done on, I have to pick up our christmas cards and some photos at Costco, and I have to buy the dreaded GROCERIES.  That will be a big hunk of change.

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

02..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif  <---  THIS was very hard to earn today.

My progress =  6 thumb.gif days so far

#76 of 243 Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Key

thumb.gif  No spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutes

1.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Starting the month off right orngbiggrin.gif

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif 

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

4.  irked.gif  I've already spent a chunk on some Christmas presents for the ILs and DH.  I wasn't planning to spend this much, but the gifts I got are *perfect* for them and they're so incredibly generous with us, I don't feel the least bit sad or guilty about it, lol.gif  Also, we're doing our big monthly grocery shop at Costco.  DH isn't coming w/ us, so hopefully I'll have an easier time sticking to the list and budget.

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  DH had a dr appt and needed a prescription, thankfully we have a medical sink fund to cover the co-pays.

6.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

7.  irked.gif  knit.gif  I have got to stop going on zulily.  I just dropped another chunk on some probably unneeded Christmas gifts blush.gif duh.gif nono.gif

tealsmith83 likes this.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#77 of 243 Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM

11/1) innocent.gif Budgeted expenses& groceries

11/2)  No spend thumb.gif

11/3)  No spend thumb.gif

11/4)  No spend thumb.gif

11/5   upsidedown.gif Almost no spend: under $3

11/6  shy.gif  Groceries today and tomorrow.  Did OK, but I did the shopping, and that means I have the girls with me which means I overspend a bit, but not too bad today.  Didn't bypass my Trader Joe's treat, but made it last 2 days (well, overnight anyhow.)  Spent $70 on a gymnastics event the girls are looking forward to.  Forgot about this one.  Oh well, I had planned it.  Talked with the girls about having to forgo a couple of outings they were asking about.  No problem.. They wouldn't miss this for the world.

11/7  innocent.gif Budgeted groceries, day 2.  Random stops, like Costco and the other coop for the right  cereal, etc.

All told, I spent $195 on groceries over 2 days.  This should last us a few days, and it included the expensive meat.

That brings grocery bill for the month to $360, which seems a bit scary considering it's just been a week, but that includes a monthly Azure purchase.  Unfortunately, this month includes 2 of those, but I've started figuring that total over the weeks between deliveries, so next delivery will be divided in 5, and 1 week added to November.   An accounting trick, for sure, but gives a more accurate spending picture.

Tomorrow, I expect a no-spend, Friday will should be a gas fill-up and nothing more.

#78 of 243 Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 PM

11/3: budgeted spending thumb.gif Costco $130 (once a month trip), Grocery store $42, Stamps $9, Gas $33

11/7: no spend shine.gif

I actually tried to spend money today, but didn't go through with it!  I saw on Joann's website last night that velour fabric was on sale and that's what I've been wanting for fabric gift bags, so I went to Joann's to get some.  Well, when I got there, it ended up not being on sale, so I didn't get it.  I even walked around the store and still didn't buy anything!  To top it all off, I went in not one, but TWO thrift stores tonight and didn't buy anything!  I'm still in search of ski pants for my DD (I didn't order the ones from LL Bean like I thought I was going to do last month.  I'm holding out hope that I can find them used).  Oh, and I thought about stopping to get a dessert-ish treat, but decided to make peanut butter oat balls at home instead (easy, no bake, and gluten/dairy free!)  The gluten-free thing tends to kill me in the sweets department, as I love to bake, but haven't gotten around to figuring out the art of gluten-free baking yet.  Tomorrow should also be no spend...I'm on a roll! ;)

tealsmith83 likes this.

#79 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

For me it is backcountry.com.  When I'm cold, I love to shop for warm stuff. 

Jenn we have to step away from the internet.  Let's do this together...one...two...three...

I have got to stop going on zulily.  I just dropped another chunk on some probably unneeded Christmas gifts 

#80 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

You ARE on a roll!!!  Great job!!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

I actually tried to spend money today, but didn't go through with it!  I saw on Joann's website last night that velour fabric was on sale and that's what I've been wanting for fabric gift bags, so I went to Joann's to get some.  Well, when I got there, it ended up not being on sale, so I didn't get it.  I even walked around the store and still didn't buy anything!  To top it all off, I went in not one, but TWO thrift stores tonight and didn't buy anything!  I'm still in search of ski pants for my DD (I didn't order the ones from LL Bean like I thought I was going to do last month.  I'm holding out hope that I can find them used).  Oh, and I thought about stopping to get a dessert-ish treat, but decided to make peanut butter oat balls at home instead (easy, no bake, and gluten/dairy free!)  The gluten-free thing tends to kill me in the sweets department, as I love to bake, but haven't gotten around to figuring out the art of gluten-free baking yet.  Tomorrow should also be no spend...I'm on a roll! ;)

#81 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Today I'm going to Costco.  The bill will be high.

My farm share is over so today I'm paying "real world" prices for produce and my family eats a LOT of produce.

Plus I'm going to the health food store for some stuff that Costco doesn't sell (grains, kefir, kale) and that usually ends up being a big chunk of change too (because OF COURSE I don't buy just those things...I can't leave the yogurt-covered almonds on the shelf)

So I'll be spending today.  But tomorrow I'm back on the wagon.

#82 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM

No spend =  joy.gif

4.joy.gifNo spend!

7.  joy.gifWoohoo!   Tomorrow SHOULD BE a budgeted spend.  happytears.gif

#83 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

As expected, spent a ton of money at Costco.   A lot.

Most of it was food (which I don't count against myself) but some of it was pictures and new boots and a sparkly dress for my daughter.  So definitely unnecessary.

It was a spend day.

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

02..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif  

08..  $$ Costco

#84 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

For me it is backcountry.com.  When I'm cold, I love to shop for warm stuff. 

Jenn we have to step away from the internet.  Let's do this together...one...two...three...

I'm trying Prudence, I r-e-a-l-l-y am lol.gif  I spent some time in my studio today cleaning up and realizing I have so much fabric and yarn in my stash, I should really be shopping down there.

Key

thumb.gif  No spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutes

1.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Starting the month off right orngbiggrin.gif

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif 

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

4.  irked.gif  I've already spent a chunk on some Christmas presents for the ILs and DH.  I wasn't planning to spend this much, but the gifts I got are *perfect* for them and they're so incredibly generous with us, I don't feel the least bit sad or guilty about it, lol.gif  Also, we're doing our big monthly grocery shop at Costco.  DH isn't coming w/ us, so hopefully I'll have an easier time sticking to the list and budget.

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  DH had a dr appt and needed a prescription, thankfully we have a medical sink fund to cover the co-pays.

6.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

7.  irked.gif  knit.gif  I have got to stop going on zulily.  I just dropped another chunk on some probably unneeded Christmas gifts blush.gif duh.gif nono.gif

8.  thumb.gif  knit.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#85 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM

11/8: no spend shine.gif

#86 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM

11/1)  innocent.gif   Budgeted expenses& groceries

11/2)  thumb.gif No spend

11/3)  thumb.gif No spend

11/4)  thumb.gif No spend

11/5)  upsidedown.gif   Almost no spend: under $3

11/6)  shy.gif   Groceries, a bit over budget

11/7)  innocent.gif Budgeted groceries, day 2.  .

11/8)  irked.gif Forgot more groceries.  Lost my no-spend day, but budgeted.  Case of cat food which will last 2 months.  Total $52

Food bill (not counting cat food!) about $370 for the month.  Yikes.

#87 of 243 Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 PM

November

7   thumb.gif No spend  I'm supposed to be working an extra shift tonight! joy.gif

8.  thumb.gif  No spend! Worked extra shift joy.gif

9. thumb.gif Budgeted spending on groceries hang.gif

#88 of 243 Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Getting my hair cut today.  That costs money.  It is not a necessity, however, because I could let my hair grow longer and have a cut that needs less maintenance.  But I don't because I like short and flippy. 

So I know it is a luxury.

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

02..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif  

08..  $87 Christmas cards and pictures

09..  $40 hair

#89 of 243 Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

11/8: no spend shine.gif

honeybee80:  I am SO impressed!  I wish my status looked like that!

No spend =  joy.gif

4.joy.gifNo spend!

7.  joy.gifWoohoo!   Tomorrow SHOULD BE a budgeted spend.  happytears.gif

8. irked.gif   Ordered new carpet for the LR.  Big spend!  Supper at McDonald's.  Will hope for a better day tomorrow.

#90 of 243 Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

11/6 budgeted spend - dance tuition for DS

11/7 no spend

11/8 unbudgeted spend - weather stripping for a door that was leaking in cold air - $12

11/9 paid bills and gas for car - budgeted

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page