Mothering Forum banner

November No-Spend Challenge ~ Don't let little purchases gobble gobble up your savings.

7K views 242 replies 21 participants last post by  SweetSilver 
#1 ·
This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be November 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

See less See more
#202 ·
11/1)
broc1.gif
Budgeted

11/2)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/3)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/4)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/5)
oops.gif
Almost no spend

11/6)
oops.gif
Groceries, a bit over budget

11/7)
broc1.gif
Budgeted groceries, day 2

11/8)
irked.gif
Forgot more groceries, but budgeted.

11/9)
nut.gif
....and some more groceries. Gas.

11/10)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/11)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/12
oops.gif
Almost no spend

11/13
broc1.gif
Budgeted groceries. Planned trip for french fries and that ice vanilla soy.
knit.gif
Finished my no-spend hat!!

11/14
jammin.gif
No spend. Baked goodies.

11/15
broc1.gif
A few more budgeted groceries. Riding lesson tuition. Baked bread!!!

11/16
broc1.gif
Budgeted groceries. $11 Goodwill trip--not really worth it but could have spent way more. Oops. Forgot the coffee stand.
Sheepish.gif
Oh well. At least we are sticking to our grocery list.

11/17
jammin.gif
No spend

11/18
jammin.gif
No spend

11/19
jammin.gif
No spend

11/20
oops.gif
Groceries, a bit over budget today, considering how many days are left in the month. Gymnastics tuition. MIL visiting, we stopped at DQ after gym. Not budgeted, but at $22 I'm not sweating this and I didn't count this against the food bill. Gas.

11/21
jammin.gif
No spend. Staying home to bake pies and veggies for Thanksgiving.

11/22
fever.gif
Stocked up on jello stuff for dd2 with an upset tummy. Coffee stand at the start of our trip. Not sweating this.

11/23
jammin.gif
No spend.

11/24
jammin.gif
No spend.

Food bill about $680 for the month. Goal is under $750. That includes eating out, coffee, etc. 12 no-spend days. Not sure I have a specific goal about this yet. Would like to turn more of my
oops.gif
days into
broc1.gif
or
jammin.gif
. I think we can make it one more day without spending. Tuesday will be groceries and some promised paper for the girls (we homeschool). What I'll do is make a list with them and try to stick to it.

#203 ·
Quote:
21. I went on a grocery shopping Extravaganza! I spent $550 for the month I wanted to be closer to $450, but still not bad considering! How on earth do you set your grocery budget anyway? I have been tracking for the last 3 months Sept =$430, Oct= $725, Nov =$550
I started the same way you are--tracking, then setting a goal. Ours is not a physical set-aside budget but simply a goal.

One thing I have been doing that has evened out our spending on paper is for once-a month purchases (ours is Azure Standard, others do Costco, I'll also do this for the occasional Seattle coop trips) is that I divide the whole purchase into however many weeks between orders. This is easy with Azure, because they have a set delivery date. So, if I have 1 week before the end of the month, and the next delivery is in 5 weeks, I'll divide the total by 5, tack one week's total onto the current month and the rest on the next month. This means I often start the month with a considerable amount, but it has evened out our accounting. Now the amount differs by about up to $100, rather that $300. I could be persnickety about this, with every purchase or case of soymilk, but that would be dizzying and unnecessary.

#204 ·
11/1: no spend
shine.gif

11/2: no spend
shine.gif

11/3: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
Costco $130 (once a month trip), Grocery store $42, Stamps $9, Gas $33

11/4: no spend
shine.gif

11/5: no spend
shine.gif

11/6: no spend
shine.gif

11/7: no spend
shine.gif

11/8: no spend
shine.gif

11/9: no spend
shine.gif

11/10: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
thrift store $13 - $3 (returned ski pants)

11/11: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$57 groceries, $37 gas,
Sheepish.gif
$10 glass of wine (unbudgeted)

11/12: no spend
shine.gif

11/13: no spend
shine.gif

11/14: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$20 Christmas present for my parents (I'm gonna count it as budgeted, as it came out of my sinking fund)

11/15: no spend
shine.gif

11/16:
Sheepish.gif
$8 tequila drink (with club soda and pineapple juice--so yummy! and so unbudgeted ;))

11/17:
Sheepish.gif
$4 thrift store - did I really need the rainbow mug, vintage handkerchief, teacher magazine, and hand knit hat? At least they were cheap ;)

11/18: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$45 groceries (less than I thought I would spend--yay!)

11/19: no spend
shine.gif

11/20:
Sheepish.gif
$15 haircut

11/21: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$21 drivers license, $34 oil filter for car,
Sheepish.gif
$6 tea and cocomel (coconut milk caramel--delicious!!) while waiting for oil filter change

11/22: no spend
shine.gif

11/23:
Sheepish.gif
$21 herbal remedies for cough, $14 (on credit card!) more herbal stuff, $2.50 bottle of water

Yeah, I pulled out my credit card yesterday and now I'm very close to going on a spending binge. I think I'm actually gonna use it again today to buy those ski pants for DD that I've been talking about for months. And I'm gonna have to use it for groceries today since the $21 I spent yesterday came out of my food money for the rest of the month. I'm telling you, PMS makes me binge spend. I'm definitely seeing a pattern with the time of the month I go on spending binges! At least I'm aware of it now. I also spent $2.50 on a bottle of water at the show I went to last night (at least I didn't buy a drink, plus I got to see the cute guy I've had a crush on forever who recently broke up with his girlfriend of almost 2 years ;)). I could have brought my own water bottle in, but I didn't. That was money that didn't need to be spent, but I needed water. I even left after the first set because I'm feeling so crappy right now. This cough needs to go away!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post
21. I went on a grocery shopping Extravaganza! I spent $550 for the month I wanted to be closer to $450, but still not bad considering! How on earth do you set your grocery budget anyway?

I'm in a slightly different situation than most of you, which means my grocery budget ends up being way less, since it's just me and 2 kids (and they are with their dad 1/2 the time). I meal plan a month at a time and before I make my plan, I look at what I already have and try to plan some meals around that. When I make my meal plan, I make a list of 'big' purchases that I will make at the beginning of the month (which could be things like olive or coconut oil, anything in bulk, meats, etc--bigger ticket items, so I can get that spending out of the way). I also make 4 grocery lists, too, for the whole month, which I then add weekly upkeep items to as needed. I also estimate what everything will cost on my lists, because then I'm not blindsided by a huge total when I'm at the store. That being said, I am upping my budget for next month, as my previous budget was theoretically working, but I have been feeling deprived (not like we're not eating well, but like I'm not able to buy some of the things I really want to get).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

You can also ask your Costco to buy local products. Nationally Costco is pushing to do that. Here in Vermont the Costco carries tons of local products...maple syrup, Green Mountain Coffee, Vermont beers (several brands). If you request that Costco buy locally, and Costco DOES buy from some local vendors...you'll be helping those vendors out tremendously. Because when Costco buys, they buy big.
Good point. Mine does carry a few local things, but I think I'm gonna forgo the membership this year (I can always go with my parents if I need to) and see what happens when I try to solely shop at the local health food store (which I've done in the past, but not with the level of meal planning and budgeting I'm doing right now).

#205 ·
Another accounting trick for my food budgets is that I don't figure in the costs of camping food, big dinners, parties, homemade food gifts, etc. Those costs get placed with birthday and gift spending goals, or if you have a separate "entertainment" budget, you could add food costs for parties to that.

I know it's something of a clever accounting trick, but that's what my food budget includes: keeping the family fed--normal costs. That's another reason why I include eating out into the food budget, unless it's something like a birthday dinner or MIL visiting on gymnastics night (and she will sometimes pick up the tab. We do try to plan ahead better for this, but sometimes we get home too late and feeding us at home is less practical.)

#206 ·
11/1: no spend
shine.gif

11/2: no spend
shine.gif

11/3: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
Costco $130 (once a month trip), Grocery store $42, Stamps $9, Gas $33

11/4: no spend
shine.gif

11/5: no spend
shine.gif

11/6: no spend
shine.gif

11/7: no spend
shine.gif

11/8: no spend
shine.gif

11/9: no spend
shine.gif

11/10: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
thrift store $13 - $3 (returned ski pants)

11/11: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$57 groceries, $37 gas,
Sheepish.gif
$10 glass of wine (unbudgeted)

11/12: no spend
shine.gif

11/13: no spend
shine.gif

11/14: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$20 Christmas present for my parents (I'm gonna count it as budgeted, as it came out of my sinking fund)

11/15: no spend
shine.gif

11/16:
Sheepish.gif
$8 tequila drink (with club soda and pineapple juice--so yummy! and so unbudgeted ;))

11/17:
Sheepish.gif
$4 thrift store - did I really need the rainbow mug, vintage handkerchief, teacher magazine, and hand knit hat? At least they were cheap ;)

11/18: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$45 groceries (less than I thought I would spend--yay!)

11/19: no spend
shine.gif

11/20:
Sheepish.gif
$15 haircut

11/21: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$21 drivers license, $34 oil filter for car,
Sheepish.gif
$6 tea and cocomel (coconut milk caramel--delicious!!) while waiting for oil filter change

11/22: no spend
shine.gif

11/23:
Sheepish.gif
$21 herbal remedies for cough, $14 (on credit card!) more herbal stuff, $2.50 bottle of water

11/24: budgeted spending
thumb.gif
$37 gas, $50 (some on CC
Sheepish.gif
) groceries/herbal stuff, $20 (CC) even more herbal stuff (yes, this cough is THAT bad!), $53 (CC) ski pants for DD, oh and $15 (CC) mother blessing gift for a friend...uh, yeah, a little out of control with the credit card today...

I may just start categorizing my days as spend/no spend instead of no spend/budgeted/unbudgeted. The good thing is that I can definitely pay off those credit card purchases pretty quickly (I rarely let myself carry a credit card balance, even when I decide to use it regularly). I pretty much can't spend a dime until 12/1. I'm out of cash and I shouldn't actually need anything until groceries next weekend.

#208 ·
Anyone who is still hanging with this thread by the last week of the month is a WINNER in my opinion.

Even if you didn't get all the no-spend days you wanted, you are sticking with it...learning from your mistakes, keeping yourself conscious of your spending, figuring out what causes those spending binges (honeybee!), and just being more mindful. It is HARD to track for a month.

(At least this is what I tell myself when it is obvious i'm not going to meet my spending goal for the month
Sheepish.gif
...but that's okay. I'm soldiering on.)

#209 ·
Today is a new day and a new chapter. I'm going to make today my day and not spend a DIME.

Plus I teach a class today so I'll be making some money (I'm an aerobics instructor) and earning some sweat equity.

Quote:

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

03.. $195 Christmas presents

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

08.. $87 Christmas cards and pictures

09.. $40 hair

thumb.gif

11.. $15 ski repair

thumb.gif

13.. $20 donuts

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

16.. $57 Party food

17.. $40 Zumbathon + $9 Apple Ginger Cider

thumb.gif

19.. $20 Pizza Hut

thumb.gif

21.. $20 more pizza

thumb.gif

23.. $11.83 Giant stuffed Elephant

24.. $40 Out drinking with friends and eating food that is OH SO bad for me. Everything fried. Everything yummy. It was worth every penny.

#210 ·
After an enlightening conversation with a good friend of mine today, I'm out on the no-spend challenge ;) It makes me stay cooped up at home and in turn makes me obsessive over money, which is exactly the opposite of what I'm going for. So I'm sitting here drinking my Bhakti Chai at the coffee shop by my house and feeling really good about it. I'm just gonna go back to being conscious and social like I normally am and trust that it all will work out just fine ;) Good luck to the rest of you to finish out the month strong!

#211 ·
Quote:

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

09.. $40 hair

thumb.gif

11.. $15 ski repair

thumb.gif

13.. $20 donuts

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

16.. $57 Party food

thumb.gif

19.. $20 Pizza Hut

thumb.gif

21.. $20 more pizza

thumb.gif

24.. $40 Out drinking with friends

thumb.gif

My goal = 20 No Spend Days

My progress = 14
thumb.gif
days so far

#213 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post Yeah!!!! Go Jenn Go!!!! I hope you reach your goal...you have an entire week to do it. I KNOW you will.
clap.gif
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Prudence
love.gif

Quote:

Anyone who is still hanging with this thread by the last week of the month is a WINNER in my opinion.

Even if you didn't get all the no-spend days you wanted, you are sticking with it...learning from your mistakes, keeping yourself conscious of your spending, figuring out what causes those spending binges (honeybee!), and just being more mindful. It is HARD to track for a month.

(At least this is what I tell myself when it is obvious i'm not going to meet my spending goal for the month
Sheepish.gif
...but that's okay. I'm soldiering on.)
You're going to get VERY close to your goal, Prudence!! It's hard, especially with kids, but you're getting more aware of your triggers and like you said, just keep pressing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

After an enlightening conversation with a good friend of mine today, I'm out on the no-spend challenge ;) It makes me stay cooped up at home and in turn makes me obsessive over money, which is exactly the opposite of what I'm going for. So I'm sitting here drinking my Bhakti Chai at the coffee shop by my house and feeling really good about it. I'm just gonna go back to being conscious and social like I normally am and trust that it all will work out just fine ;) Good luck to the rest of you to finish out the month strong!
NOT what you want happening. The No-Spend Challenges are good for me b/c I'm already at home most of the time, homeschooling my children. The weekends are my weakness and online shopping
bag.gif
and personally I *need* the accountability of other mamas. But if I found I was becoming someone I didn't like, I'd stop in an instant.

Good luck to you, honeybee80. I hope the challenge at least brought some of your spending triggers to light and will benefit you in the long run.

#214 ·
Key

thumb.gif
No spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif
Unbudgeted spending

knit.gif
Crafted for at least 30 minutes

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Starting the month off right
orngbiggrin.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
I've already spent a chunk on some Christmas presents for the ILs and DH. I wasn't planning to spend this much, but the gifts I got are *perfect* for them and they're so incredibly generous with us, I don't feel the least bit sad or guilty about it,
lol.gif
Also, we're doing our big monthly grocery shop at Costco. DH isn't coming w/ us, so hopefully I'll have an easier time sticking to the list and budget.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
DH had a dr appt and needed a prescription, thankfully we have a medical sink fund to cover the co-pays.

thumb.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif
I have got to stop going on zulily. I just dropped another chunk on some probably unneeded Christmas gifts
blush.gif
duh.gif
nono.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
Budgeted spending today- picked up DS2's birthday present. Quite happy because we got it on sale AND had a gift card we were able to apply to it, so although I budgeted $100 for it, we only ended up spending OOP $75. ALSO, I had a coupon for a $10 gift card if you spent a certain amount, so I have another $10 gc in my wallet now to apply to future gifts
thumbsup.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif
I knew today would be a spending day. We bought "gifts" to fill our Operation Christmas Child boxes for church and we finished out the monthly grocery shop. We went over the grocery budget because I let DH convince me to get lunch meat and I found a good deal on potatoes, 50lbs for $17, so I bought a sack. Also, though I had intended on making DD1's birthday cake for tomorrow, I just don't have the time or energy, so we bought one.

irked.gif
bag.gif
More Christmas gifts. *sigh*

thumb.gif
Whew, finally. Most of today was spent prepping for our scout pack meeting potluck.

thumb.gif
Not going anywhere today. Hopefully I'll make some progress on homemade gifts.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
I altered a pair of maternity jeans today. I hated the way they fit and I already had a pair of bootcut maternity jeans so I made them into skinny jeans to wear with my favorite knee high boots that I've been wanting to wear but couldn't b/c I had no skinny maternity jeans. Yesterday I didn't make any progress on gifts. but today my intent is to sit and knit after dinner.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
I feel pretty safe giving myself a No Spend for today. I finished a scarf last night and hopefully later today I'll finish the main body of another gift. I'm determined to keep up the momentum I've built over the last few days.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Feeling good today. DH is working from home and it's always iffy w/ him around because he wants fast food for lunch. Today I stuck to my guns and we ate from the pantry. Now to figure out dinner.

irked.gif
I knew we were going to spend money today, I'm just not sure whether to count it against me or not. It was DS2's b-day and I needed to pick up last minute food items for his b-day dinner, cupcakes, and dessert, We bought other groceries (all on sale and pantry stocking) and bought a bunch of can/ boxed goods to donate to the Cub Scouts outside the store collecting for the local food pantry. All unbudgeted, but we'll use/ eat everything we bought.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Ordered DD2's b-day present (she's in early January). Totally budgeted, felt good getting it done early before the hub-bub of the Christmas season AND baby prep that will be happening late next month.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
I *looked* at zulily today and convinced myself that I didn't need to buy anything. When the littlest went down for her nap, I sewed patches on a couple scout shirts (a side thing I do for the parents in our pack that *hate* to sew. I make some change for it, and feel good about helping out), AND I sewed a new top for me. Used up some stash fabric I've been saving and now I have a cute new top that will take me through the rest of the pregnancy and after. DH worked from home and really wanted McD's for lunch but then recognized how we need to stick to the budget.
joy.gif
for small feats!!

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Not sure if I'm going to get to knitting tonight, hoping to, but we're prepping to go out of town to the ILs for Thanksgiving and I've got to work on packing my rugrats.

I've been trying to harness my inner "Prudent Homemaker" and am going through how I can frugally prep for this trip. I have some pumpkin puree in the fridge I need to use up so I'm baking pumpkin bread and muffins to have for breakfast before we leave and for snacking. I'm trying to use up the leftovers to minimize our food waste before we leave. I'm making a list of things DH and I are going to price out on Black Friday (I know we'll spend $$ that day), like basic undershirts, jeans for DH, possibly a laser printer (we homeschool and print a lot in b/w, a laser printer will seriously save us $$).

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Budgeted lunch and snacks out for our trip. Got to make quite a bit of progress knitting a gift.

22. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
eat.gif
DH's cousin and I go to Michael's every year I visit so I know I'll be spending. I've made a list and my goal is to *stick. to. the. list* Oh, and
knit.gif
I got work done on some presents.

irked.gif
knit.gif
DH and I went shopping. We hadn't budgeted for it, but we knew we were going to spend anyway.

I'm proud of myself for sticking to the lists I made for shopping on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I got some really good deals from sales and coupons.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Breakfast from the local bagel shop (budgeted), and the day spent with my younger brother and his girlfriend (we only get to see him a couple times a year). Already got my knitting in for the day
love.gif

thumb.gif
Trip home. Budgeted spending on lunch, had to make a quick grocery stop for half and half, bread, and beer for DH
eyesroll.gif
Going to try and squeeze in my knitting after kiddos are in bed.

18 No Spend days and 18 Crafting days. So close, just 2 more days to reach my goal!!
fingersx.gif
Here's to finishing strong the last half of the month.

#215 ·
No spend =
joy.gif

Budgeted spend =
thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spend =
irked.gif

thumb.gif
Supper with my grandmother

joy.gif
No spend! Yay me!

irked.gif
Oh well...can't be good every day...

joy.gif
No spend!

irked.gif
Chicken feed, stock up on gasoline while it's down to $3.17/gal. On the upside, resisted eating out for supper!

joy.gif
No spend! 4 out of 6 so far...pretty good!

joy.gif
Woohoo! Tomorrow SHOULD BE a budgeted spend.
happytears.gif

irked.gif
Ordered new carpet for the LR. Big spend! Supper at McDonald's. Will hope for a better day tomorrow.

joy.gif
No spend! 6 out of 9

irked.gif
Spent today (groceries, gas, breakfast, snack money for DS for his class, etc.)

irked.gif
Lunch at Arby's

joy.gif
No spend!

thumb.gif
Budgeted spend on school trip to Chicago. Woohoo!

irked.gif

irked.gif

joy.gif

irked.gif

irked.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif
budgeted spend - Christmas presents

irked.gif
b-fast and lunch out while shopping for furniture

joy.gif
Won't be going anywhere other than thanksgiving at my parents so I'm posting this ahead of time. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
eat.gif

thumb.gif
Black Friday shopping. Budgeted Christmas money.

irked.gif

irked.gif
13/25 On track to meet my personal goal for the month.

#217 ·
thumb.gif
Budgeted
greensad.gif
Not Budgeted/went over
joy.gif
Saved $, got freebee, paid something off, worked an extra shift
hang.gif
hung clothes out

November
1. DD2 sport workshop $62 budgeted
thumb.gif
Working an extra shift tonight
joy.gif
and just
hang.gif

2 *
thumb.gif
No spend day! I resisted getting lunch out after school. Instead I came home and made eggs & toast. I hung 2 loads of laundry
hang.gif
Picked up extra shift
joy.gif

3 *
thumb.gif
No spend day!
hang.gif

thumb.gif
Bought $10 of groceries, also got budgeted wood heating pellets and
hang.gif

5 *
thumb.gif
No spend! Working an extra shift
joy.gif

6 *
thumb.gif
hang.gif
Working an extra shift today
joy.gif

7 *
thumb.gif
No spend! I'm working an extra shift tonight!
joy.gif

8. *
thumb.gif
No spend! Worked extra shift
joy.gif

thumb.gif
Budgeted spending on groceries
hang.gif

thumb.gif
Budgeted raw milk & dry goods from bulk bins

11.*
thumb.gif
No spend. Made a really frugal venison soup with soup bones veggies and barley
joy.gif
I'm becoming so aware of how much barely worn stuff gets thrown in by line drying
hang.gif

12. *
thumb.gif
No spend Deep cleaned my kitchen. Culturing a batch of yogurt and making homemade granola
joy.gif

13. *
thumb.gif
No spend

thumb.gif
Got a couple Christmas gifts out of Christmas fund, and other household needs.

15. *
thumb.gif
No spend

thumb.gif
Bought budgeted wood pellets. I called oil company today & lowered our budgeted monthly oil payment since the furnace just heats our water now. Got paid for all those extra hours that I worked last week, I made more that I thought
joy.gif
hang.gif

17. *
thumb.gif
No spend

thumb.gif
Bought DD the coat she wanted online 50% off!!! I went CVS-ing with my sister for some great deals. I ended up with some Christmas gifts, a few stocking stuffers (both out of the Christmas budget) and some household stuff. I also have extra care bucks to go back there with. Not giving myself a sad face because the deals were amazing and I will save the next times I go there. I haven't CVS-ed in so long so starting this up again during Christmas shopping is a good idea!

I got lots of venison from my Dad and a tons of soup bones! I love soup!!!!
joy.gif

19. *
thumb.gif
No spend!
hang.gif
Making 2 gallons of Kombucha today and making stock
joy.gif
May edit if I make it to the grocery store today!

thumb.gif
Went grocery shopping and with the "Prudent Homemaker" in mind I bought 3 turkeys! And plan to go to another grocery store today and get another one! I read that Nov-Dec is the best time to buy Turkey. Why not stock up for the rest of the year? We have a good sized stand up freezer in the basement that I want stocked up for the winter. I think that even with these stock ups I will still come out under budget, as we are nearing the end of the month. I also bought more clothes hangers, we are running out, I hang clothes on hangers to dry in the house when the weather is too bad to hang on the line outside. But today was nice so I got to hang out on the line today
hang.gif

21. I went on a grocery shopping Extravaganza! I spent $550 for the month I wanted to be closer to $450, but still not bad considering! How on earth do you set your grocery budget anyway? I have been tracking for the last 3 months Sept =$430, Oct= $725, Nov =$550

thumb.gif
I did a load of laundry in the am hung it out
hang.gif
then headed to the high school football game. We went to our family's house for dinner, with pies in hand, we came home late, tucked the kids in bed, then got online to determine if I wanted to venture out & brave the crowds. I decided to stay home, there was really nothing that looked good to me and last year I stayed home for BF & got lots of Cyber Mon deals! I spend about $80 online got free shipping & 40% off for DD1.

23. *
thumb.gif
BLACK FRIDAY NO SPEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thumb.gif
Today I'm taking DD2 shopping and out for lunch. We have been planning this for some time, so it is budgeted! If I do any shopping it will be for Christmas gifts and will come from my Christmas fund! I let DD pick out a small gift for her Big Sis & Daddy. I also bought a new clothesline at local hardware store with 50% off coupon, mine is fraying so badly that it is going to snap at any moment. I was so glad to find and take advantage of the coupon! DH redid the clothesline and I cant wait to use it!!!

25. *
thumb.gif
No Spend! I went to NYC with my boss, on business & didn't spend a dime!

thumb.gif
Today I'm looking for cyber deals to make best use of my budgeted Christmas spending!

#218 ·
Suprise snowstorm = wet, slippery roads out there.

I'm giving myself a pre-emptive no-spend because I have no plans to leave this house today, now that I'm back from work. Its snuggle up by the fireplace time.

Quote:

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

09.. $40 hair

thumb.gif

11.. $15 ski repair

thumb.gif

13.. $20 donuts

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

16.. $57 Party food

thumb.gif

19.. $20 Pizza Hut

thumb.gif

21.. $20 more pizza

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

My progress = 15
thumb.gif
days so far

#219 ·
Quote:

Suprise snowstorm = wet, slippery roads out there.

I'm giving myself a pre-emptive no-spend because I have no plans to leave this house today, now that I'm back from work. Its snuggle up by the fireplace time.
I wish this was us today. I could use some fireplace snuggle time, but alas, it's well child checks for some kiddos and scouting tonight. Stay warm, Prudence, and have some tea for me
love.gif

Key

thumb.gif

irked.gif
Unbudgeted spending

knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif
orngbiggrin.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
I've already spent a chunk on some Christmas presents for the ILs and DH. I wasn't planning to spend this much, but the gifts I got are *perfect* for them and they're so incredibly generous with us, I don't feel the least bit sad or guilty about it,
lol.gif
Also, we're doing our big monthly grocery shop at Costco. DH isn't coming w/ us, so hopefully I'll have an easier time sticking to the list and budget.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
DH had a dr appt and needed a prescription, thankfully we have a medical sink fund to cover the co-pays.

thumb.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif
I have got to stop going on zulily. I just dropped another chunk on some probably unneeded Christmas gifts
blush.gif
duh.gif
nono.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
Budgeted spending today- picked up DS2's birthday present. Quite happy because we got it on sale AND had a gift card we were able to apply to it, so although I budgeted $100 for it, we only ended up spending OOP $75. ALSO, I had a coupon for a $10 gift card if you spent a certain amount, so I have another $10 gc in my wallet now to apply to future gifts
thumbsup.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif
I knew today would be a spending day. We bought "gifts" to fill our Operation Christmas Child boxes for church and we finished out the monthly grocery shop. We went over the grocery budget because I let DH convince me to get lunch meat and I found a good deal on potatoes, 50lbs for $17, so I bought a sack. Also, though I had intended on making DD1's birthday cake for tomorrow, I just don't have the time or energy, so we bought one.

irked.gif
bag.gif

thumb.gif
Whew, finally. Most of today was spent prepping for our scout pack meeting potluck.

thumb.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif
I altered a pair of maternity jeans today. I hated the way they fit and I already had a pair of bootcut maternity jeans so I made them into skinny jeans to wear with my favorite knee high boots that I've been wanting to wear but couldn't b/c I had no skinny maternity jeans. Yesterday I didn't make any progress on gifts. but today my intent is to sit and knit after dinner.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
I feel pretty safe giving myself a No Spend for today. I finished a scarf last night and hopefully later today I'll finish the main body of another gift. I'm determined to keep up the momentum I've built over the last few days.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Feeling good today. DH is working from home and it's always iffy w/ him around because he wants fast food for lunch. Today I stuck to my guns and we ate from the pantry. Now to figure out dinner.

irked.gif
I knew we were going to spend money today, I'm just not sure whether to count it against me or not. It was DS2's b-day and I needed to pick up last minute food items for his b-day dinner, cupcakes, and dessert, We bought other groceries (all on sale and pantry stocking) and bought a bunch of can/ boxed goods to donate to the Cub Scouts outside the store collecting for the local food pantry. All unbudgeted, but we'll use/ eat everything we bought.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Ordered DD2's b-day present (she's in early January). Totally budgeted, felt good getting it done early before the hub-bub of the Christmas season AND baby prep that will be happening late next month.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
I *looked* at zulily today and convinced myself that I didn't need to buy anything. When the littlest went down for her nap, I sewed patches on a couple scout shirts (a side thing I do for the parents in our pack that *hate* to sew. I make some change for it, and feel good about helping out), AND I sewed a new top for me. Used up some stash fabric I've been saving and now I have a cute new top that will take me through the rest of the pregnancy and after. DH worked from home and really wanted McD's for lunch but then recognized how we need to stick to the budget.
joy.gif
for small feats!!

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Not sure if I'm going to get to knitting tonight, hoping to, but we're prepping to go out of town to the ILs for Thanksgiving and I've got to work on packing my rugrats.

I've been trying to harness my inner "Prudent Homemaker" and am going through how I can frugally prep for this trip. I have some pumpkin puree in the fridge I need to use up so I'm baking pumpkin bread and muffins to have for breakfast before we leave and for snacking. I'm trying to use up the leftovers to minimize our food waste before we leave. I'm making a list of things DH and I are going to price out on Black Friday (I know we'll spend $$ that day), like basic undershirts, jeans for DH, possibly a laser printer (we homeschool and print a lot in b/w, a laser printer will seriously save us $$).

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Budgeted lunch and snacks out for our trip. Got to make quite a bit of progress knitting a gift.

eat.gif
DH's cousin and I go to Michael's every year I visit so I know I'll be spending. I've made a list and my goal is to *stick. to. the. list* Oh, and
knit.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif
DH and I went shopping. We hadn't budgeted for it, but we knew we were going to spend anyway.

I'm proud of myself for sticking to the lists I made for shopping on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I got some really good deals from sales and coupons.

thumb.gif
knit.gif
Breakfast from the local bagel shop (budgeted), and the day spent with my younger brother and his girlfriend (we only get to see him a couple times a year). Already got my knitting in for the day
love.gif

thumb.gif
Trip home. Budgeted spending on lunch, had to make a quick grocery stop for half and half, bread, and beer for DH
eyesroll.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif
2 of the kiddos have well child checks and we've got scouting tonight. There will be NO money leaving my hands or account.

19 No Spend days and 19 Crafting days. So close, just 1 more day to reach my goal!!
fingersx.gif
Here's to finishing strong the last week of the month.

#220 ·
That fire sounds wonderful! I miss our woodstove terribly. One day, one day....

Today and tomorrow we are grocery shopping, and the Azure order comes in, so both these days will be spending days. I know dh will stick to the list (that can be a problem sometimes, if the lists aren't 100%) but tomorrow I take the girls out on errands. I also plan on picking up a picture frame for dh.

No-spend projects:

Started knitting mittens for the girls from some yarn purchased 10 years ago for stocking projects which I never started. We need mittens now, and lots of them since the snow we do get occasionally is wet. I think I can do these without buying new needles.
knit.gif

My friend helped me mark a hem for a nice wool skirt I bought from the thrift store years ago, but it's far too long. It's a wonderful a-line--very flattering. Haven't worn it in 3 years and I need a new skirt. I'm down to 1 good one, one scrappy one and 2 pairs of pants. This will make a huge difference.

Baking some goodies for the girls and dh for the week. DH is bringing home chocolate chips
yummy.gif
!

#221 ·
No spend =
joy.gif

Budgeted spend =
thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spend =
irked.gif

thumb.gif
Supper with my grandmother

joy.gif
No spend! Yay me!

irked.gif
Oh well...can't be good every day...

joy.gif
No spend!

irked.gif
Chicken feed, stock up on gasoline while it's down to $3.17/gal. On the upside, resisted eating out for supper!

joy.gif
No spend! 4 out of 6 so far...pretty good!

joy.gif
Woohoo! Tomorrow SHOULD BE a budgeted spend.
happytears.gif

irked.gif
Ordered new carpet for the LR. Big spend! Supper at McDonald's. Will hope for a better day tomorrow.

joy.gif
No spend! 6 out of 9

irked.gif
Spent today (groceries, gas, breakfast, snack money for DS for his class, etc.)

irked.gif
Lunch at Arby's

joy.gif
No spend!

thumb.gif
Budgeted spend on school trip to Chicago. Woohoo!

irked.gif

irked.gif

joy.gif

irked.gif

irked.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif
budgeted spend - Christmas presents

irked.gif
b-fast and lunch out while shopping for furniture

joy.gif
Won't be going anywhere other than thanksgiving at my parents so I'm posting this ahead of time. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
eat.gif

thumb.gif
Black Friday shopping. Budgeted Christmas money.

irked.gif

irked.gif
13/25 On track to meet my personal goal for the month.

irked.gif
Had to stop at Target on the way home from the dr. today. Didn't spend much, but it was still a spend.

#222 ·
11/26
disappointed.gif
Well, we are not going to make our monthly food budget. Dh forgot a couple of things, so I'll have to pick those up tomorrow. I think I might keep this under $800 and at least do better than last month. However, nothing has been extravagant, just a big chocolate bar for dh and I to share. And still really good compared to months past. I think we can get under $700 without feeling the pinch, we just need to keep changing our habits.

Food bill $738 for the month. Goal is under $750. Not going to make it. New goal, under $800. ???????

#223 ·
11/1)
broc1.gif
Budgeted

11/2)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/3)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/4)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/5)
oops.gif
Almost no spend

11/6)
oops.gif
Groceries, a bit over budget

11/7)
broc1.gif
Budgeted groceries, day 2

11/8)
irked.gif
Forgot more groceries, but budgeted.

11/9)
nut.gif
....and some more groceries. Gas.

11/10)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/11)
jammin.gif
No spend

11/12
oops.gif
Almost no spend

11/13
broc1.gif
Budgeted groceries. Planned trip for french fries and that ice vanilla soy.
knit.gif
Finished my no-spend hat!!

11/14
jammin.gif
No spend. Baked goodies.

11/15
broc1.gif
A few more budgeted groceries. Riding lesson tuition. Baked bread!!!

11/16
broc1.gif
Budgeted groceries. $11 Goodwill trip--not really worth it but could have spent way more. Oops. Forgot the coffee stand.
Sheepish.gif
Oh well. At least we are sticking to our grocery list.

11/17
jammin.gif
No spend

11/18
jammin.gif
No spend

11/19
jammin.gif
No spend

11/20
oops.gif
Groceries, a bit over budget today, considering how many days are left in the month. Gymnastics tuition. MIL visiting, we stopped at DQ after gym. Not budgeted, but at $22 I'm not sweating this and I didn't count this against the food bill. Gas.

11/21
jammin.gif
No spend. Staying home to bake pies and veggies for Thanksgiving.

11/22
fever.gif
Stocked up on jello stuff for dd2 with an upset tummy. Coffee stand at the start of our trip. Not sweating this.

11/23
jammin.gif
No spend.

11/24
jammin.gif
No spend.

11/25
jammin.gif
No spend. Worked on no-spend mittens, and started a hemming project for a skirt I haven't worn in 3 years.

11/26
disappointed.gif
Groceries. Nothing we didn't need, except some chocolate, but we are not going to make our spending goal.

11/27
shrug.gif
Azure delivery. Credited $36 towards this month, the rest towards December. Girls are both sick, so we are staying home. And I'll be knitting some mittens!
crochetsmilie.gif

Food bill $774 for the month. Goal is under $750. Didn't make it. So far I have 13 no-spend days, and 5 (only 5!!??
irked.gif
) budgeted spending days. Must turn more spending days into Happy Veggies.

peace.gif

#224 ·
Key

thumb.gif

irked.gif
Unbudgeted spending

knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif
orngbiggrin.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
lol.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif
blush.gif
duh.gif
nono.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
thumbsup.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
bag.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif
joy.gif
for small feats!!

thumb.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif

eat.gif
knit.gif

irked.gif
knit.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif
love.gif

thumb.gif
eyesroll.gif

thumb.gif
knit.gif
2 of the kiddos have well child checks and we've got scouting tonight. There will be NO money leaving my hands or account.

thumb.gif
knit.gif

20 No Spend days and 20 Crafting days. WooHoo!!! Goal has been reached!!!
joy.gif
Now I'd like to finish the month with a collection of No Spend Days!!

#225 ·
I love to go out with my buddies. I've held it in check pretty well this month, so I'm okay with occassional trips out for a drink or coffee.

This was, however, a TREMENDOUS success because we went out shopping together and while my friends were spending triple figures on home stuff...I didn't buy any thing. That is huge for me.

At one point, I had my cart full of stuff for my table...then I put it all back.

Because I remembered how good it is going to feel to pay off our final loan. And we should be able to do that December 15th, if I just keep it tight for the next month.

So spending $10 on a cocktail was actually a bargain for such a fun evening.

Quote:

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

09.. $40 hair

thumb.gif

11.. $15 ski repair

thumb.gif

13.. $20 donuts

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

16.. $57 Party food

thumb.gif

19.. $20 Pizza Hut

thumb.gif

21.. $20 more pizza

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

27.. $10 out with friends again

My progress = 15
thumb.gif
days so far

#226 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Food bill $738 for the month. Goal is under $750. Not going to make it. New goal, under $800. ???????
I think you are being very, very wise.

Because if you set your goals to rigidly...too stringent...you won't make them. They need to be just a ~tad~ over what you currently spend. Because that will motivate you to make it so much better than unrealistic goals that make you frustrated and cause you to give up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.