November No-Spend Challenge ~ Don't let little purchases gobble gobble up your savings. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 243 Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be November 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

#2 of 243 Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

a. Who you are:  My name is Prudence and I'm a SAHM with three daughters.  My husband is a teacher and we have to watch our outflow of cash very carefully.  I'm hoping this thread will keep me conscious of where I'm spending our money.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals):  We have a second mortgage.  I want to pay it off.

c. How you plan to get there:  We have plenty of money for our needs, and some for our wants too....IF I don't go overboard with the spending.  I feel like part of my job is financial planning and management for our family.  I find if I write down what I spend each day and try hard to get a thumb.gif no spendy guy on my listing...I'm much more conscious of every little purchase.  I won't buy it because I don't want to come on here and fess up.  So these threads help me.

Sure, I still spend money.  But at least if I know I have to write it out there on the internet...I'm slower to reach for my wallet.  And I'm happy with that.

I'm hoping this month will be a STELLAR month for me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adding my philosophy:

Here's why I join and participate in these threads:

I love to shop. I love to spend money. Spending money gives me an endorphin rush. I don't know why this is, but I like to buy new things and when I buy them I feel like we are moving ahead.

But we are not. We are actually falling behind.

Because 9 times out of 10 we need the money in savings more than we need a new shower curtain with pretty purple flowers on it.

But I can't seem to see this when I'm in the store...only when I'm thinking about it in hindsight.

Money is intangible to me. Seeing the numbers go up in our savings account does not give me pleasure. A new Isis jacket gives me pleasure.

So I try to find ways to "trick" myself into feeling like we have gained something when we don't spend money. Toting up no-spend days and little thumb.gif icons gives me a small jolt of happiness. (Granted -- very very small -- but at least it is something)

I need something to help me curb my impulse to spend.

Also just to make me more aware of what I do spend our money on. If I have to write it here, then I think about it for a milisecond before I buy it. Sometimes that milisecond is all it takes to make me realize the thing I'm about to purchase is a want...not a need.

#3 of 243 Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM

a.  I'm Jenn, homeschooling SAHM to 5 kiddos, due in January w/ #6 (our last).

b.  We're on track to being debt free.  We've been s-l-o-w-l-y progressing on it, it seems as though each time we take 2 steps forward, we also need to take 3 steps back irked.gif But we're pressing on.

c.  We're still working on controlling our spending.  Our plan for the month:

~ STAY OUT OF STORES!!  This is our biggest $$ suck.  Our family can NOT go into a store for just 1 thing, we end up spending at least $100!!

~  Cooking at home as much as possible.  Being pregnant, I'm tired, the day gets away from me, and the next thing I know, I'm ordering take out.  It's got to STOP!!

~  Crafting.  I'm working on knocking things off my craft list for the holidays.  I've ordered most of the kiddos Christmas gifts, now I just need to take care of the homemade stuff.  My goal is to work for at least 30min daily towards a gift.

~  STICK TO THE BUDGET!!  We have 3 birthdays and Thanksgiving out of state.  They all have a budget set for them, so if the more I can stick to the written budget, the better we'll be going into the holidays.  I'm also working on revamping our food budget.

Goals for November

thumb.gif  20 No Spend days

knit.gif20 days of crafting for at least 30min

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#4 of 243 Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM

a.  I'm Ellen, single WOHM to DD (9) and DS (7)

b.  I want to either save as much money as possible over the next year or 2 so that I can get into Waldorf education or pay off my student loans as quickly as possible (I'm not positive which route I'm taking at the moment, but both involve really curbing my spending ;))

c.  I'm going to stick with the same budget I had in October, as I've been doing really well with it.  My meal plan for the month is already done, complete with weekly grocery lists--food is one of my biggest challenge areas.  I'm also going to wait until the very end of the month to see where I stand as far as miscellaneous money left before I buy anything that is not absolutely necessary.  I'm going to try to limit my driving as much as possible to save money in my gas budget.  I'm going to stay out of thrift stores (this is my biggest downfall) and recycle catalogues as soon as I get them (although I've requested to be removed from pretty much all mailing lists).  The savings bug really bit me this month and I'm excited to keep it up! :)

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#5 of 243 Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be November 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

Hello Gals,

I'm mamayogibear and I'm hoping to have zero debt aside from student loans by the end of the year. It's the only way I will be able to afford to go to grad school. I will get there by paying off my few debts that I have left. I started this goal this past January and have put every spare cent into paying off old debts! I am frighteningly frugal! Aside from rent, bills, gas for the car, debts I really don't spend much. Last month I paid for costumes for my kids (I should have made them but don't have any craft supplies), lunch once with my sister and dog food. Since I spend so little I will not be coming on here each day I spend nothing, just the days I do some spending. I plan on spending money on slipper boots for my kids and I which I have not found at thrift stores all month so I guess I need to find a bogo sale or something  and I really want to buy some Mrs Meyers lavender laundry detergent but still have a little 7th generation detergent left. So those are two expenses I am budgeting for. I hope I am close enough to paying off my debt that I can set aside some money for moving by January for grad school since I won't get financial aid till after the first few days of school.

Good luck to all on not spending and finding their way out of debt.

be good family...

#6 of 243 Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

a. Who you are I'm Claire. A SaHM to two little girls who are 3.5 years and 9 months. I also go to school part time to be a biology teacher. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) We're working on paying off my husband's student loans before starting on mine. He has some, I have a ton. We already paid off all of our consumer debt (yay!) and have rolled that money into the student loans. We also stopped taking student loans for my schooling and recently found out that my grant will be gone after next semester, which means paying for two full years on our own. Ugh! 

c. How you plan to get there We've been doing the cash envelope system for a few months now and IT ROCKS. Seriously, I couldn't get the budget under control until I finally did that cash withdrawal and separated it out. I haven't overspent since starting the system (something that was a constant problem before then), so it's a win in that way. When I started the system though, I also stopped tracking my individual purchases. Since money moves around envelopes sometimes, it's difficult to say where the money went. I don't know how many no-spend days I'll have in the month, but I'd definitely like to keep track of what I'm spending! Maybe it'll make it easier for me to see places where we can cut back. 

1. $11 lunch with the family. Not the best kick off considering I had to take it out of the "home" envelope, but it was really nice to go out with DH.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#7 of 243 Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

01..  thumb.gif

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $195 Christmas presents

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif  

08..  $87 Christmas cards and pictures

09..  $40 hair

10..  thumb.gif

11..  $15 ski repair

12..  thumb.gif

13..  $20 donuts

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

16..  $57 Party food

17..  $40 Zumbathon + $9 Apple Ginger Cider

18..  thumb.gif

19..  $20 Pizza Hut

20..  thumb.gif

21.. $20 more pizza

22..  thumb.gif

23..  $11.83  Giant stuffed Elephant

24..  $40  Out drinking with friends

25..  thumb.gif

26..  thumb.gif

27..  $10 out with friends again

28..  $40 Christmas presents

29..  $30 Bookclub (=out with friends again)

30..  thumb.gif

My goal = 20 No Spend Days

My progress =  16 thumb.gif days so far

#8 of 243 Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM

a. Who you are

I'm a 30 year old SAHM to DS (5), DD (4) and a baby on the way.  We have done much better recently, financially, then we ever have before.  We live on a fixed income, which in theory COULD go down at any time if the government decides to shift its funds around (VA benefits)... but hopefully that won't be in the immediate future.  Still, we are much more comfortable now than we ever have been before in our adult lives and thankfully we haven't really adjusted our lifestyle, so the extra income is not really being used up.  (That is to say, we can actually afford to pay our bills and have a little breathing room to spare. But we're still living the frugal lifestyle - thrift stores, budget groceries, no smartphones, that sort of thing.  It hurts me to be wasteful of money.) 

b. How are you are going (your financial goals)

We did end up moving to a new house in the past year in a heavily taxed area, I had some expenses related to my pregnancy, and while we got stuff set up in our new house (moving costs, some new furniture, etc.) we got a bit of debt that we're paying off.  If we stay on track and don't have any crazy unexpected expenses (some leeway is budgeted in to our emergency fund) we should be debt-free by March. After that we'll want to ramp up our emergency savings.

Pretty much to keep up the good work.  We have had two awesome months budget wise.  We have everything we need for the upcoming baby already.  Our main pitfalls are eating out (me) and computer stuff (DH).  I don't have any set goals for no-drive days or spending limits, really, but I think this thread will help me be accountable.  :)

#9 of 243 Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Kick off is tomorrow!!!

#10 of 243 Old 10-31-2012, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I so need this right now!  I logged in because I felt guilty for buying lunch instead of bringing leftovers from home.

Maybe this thread will make me feel guilty BEFORE I buy something, instead of after the fact.

a. Who you are:  I am Kathirynne, WOHM to 4 great kids, 2 of whom are in college.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals):  I really just want to have money at the end of the month and enough of a cushion in case someone needs shoes or something.

Our washing machine is on its last legs, so I'd like to save about $500 toward its replacement.

I also have Thanksgiving and Christmas plus 3 birthdays between now and the end of February.  I really need to stay on track, money-wise, so that I can do each occasion justice.

c. How you plan to get there:  *Stick to the budget.  I say this every month, and then I make little "no big deal" purchases that add up to a big deal in the long run.

*Be accountable to this thread.  If I have to post my "no big deal" purchases in black and white for the whole interweb to see, I may think twice before I drop the cash.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

25:

26:

27:

28:

29:

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#11 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Day one of the challenge.  My wallet is locked in the filing cabinet.  Where it shall remain.  All day.

tealsmith83 likes this.

#12 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:

Day one of the challenge.  My wallet is locked in the filing cabinet.  Where it shall remain.  All day.

LOL!!  Great strategy!

#13 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Hello I'm Maria, I'm Mama to DD15 & DD9, I'm wife of 12 years to DH.  I was fortunate to be a sahm when the kids were small then transitioning into part time work as the kids got older and when DH was home so that we didn't need daycare.  Now we are playing catch up because we don't want to work forever!  Between the 2 of us we currently work 1 FT and 4 PT jobs.  One of my jobs is brand new and it will become more regular very, very soon & will hopefully become FT in the coming months.  We just paid off a credit card last week and have just one left to go!  I'm looking very closely at the FHA Streamline Refinance as a great option for us, but have yet to sign the dotted line.  I'm afraid of getting sucked into another 30 year loan with the plans of paying it off early.  But all the stats say that only about 2% of people that plan to payoff early actually do.  The refi will save us a full 1%, I believe that I can be super disciplined about paying it off faster.  We have one car almost paid off and will snowball it once the CC's are done the other is a 0% loan so I don't see much point in rushing to pay it off. We want to stop living pay check to paycheck and start saving so that we don't have to work forever!  DH has a 401K at work that and our EF is all we have right now.  But the amount of $ that we have been throwing toward CC's will become extra towards paying off the mortgage early and a Roth IRA for each of us, and will also be used to beef up our EF.  I also feel it is important to start vehicle replacement funds, so when the time comes we won't need a loan.  My new job offers a Roth 401K that I'm very excited about!  We don't want the extra money from my new job to get blown so I started a new budget in order to track every penny. 

Storm Sandy did damage our fence which I hope is repairable as we don't want to replace it yet.  We are so grateful that we were not affected more.  We are thinking of all the people that have been affected by Sandy and wishing them a brighter tomorrow!       

thumb.gif Budgeted         greensad.gif Not Budgeted/went over      joy.gifSaved $, got freebee, paid something off, worked an extra shift        hang.gif   hung clothes out         

November
1.  DD2 sport workshop $62 thumb.gif  Working an extra shift tonight joy.gif    and just   hang.gif

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#14 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 AM

49 year old, with DH and DS (11).  I work at the local school where my husband teaches and my son attends.  I am employed when the students are in school and unemployed when the students are out of school.  (Love that, because I get to spend all holidays, summers, etc. with them.) 

We are debt free, have been for a couple of years now, but I still need to get a better grip on where our money goes.  It seems to just fly out the door.  I would like to be able to put MORE in savings.  I was in on the October thread (first-timer), but didn't do very well.  Hoping for a better November.

No spend =  joy.gif

Budgeted spend = thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spend =  irked.gif

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#15 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM

a. Who you are:  Sarah, WOHM to DD (10 weeks).  I just started back to work after 2 months maternity leave.  My DH works in the evenings running a restaurant and I work during the day.  So far, with help from family, we are able to avoid daycare!

b. Where you are going (your financial goals):  Now that we have a child, we are committed to sticking to a budget and actually saving money.  We currently have no debt outside of our mortgage, but we also do not save any money on a monthly basis, or have much in our savings account.  We want to beef up our savings and stop squandering money!

c. How you plan to get there: Create a budget and STICK TO IT!  No more online purchases (me) or shopping while hungry (him).  Online shopping is such a bad habit for me-- I work in front of a computer all day and am constantly tempted. Also, we eat mostly organic foods and shop exclusively at the health food store. I believe it is possible to be frugal while eating whole/organic foods, but we tend to splurge.

**This time of year is really hard for me to keep my spending in check. I LOVE the holidays and tend to way overspend on presents.  I am going to really try to create a budget and a plan for presents this year and stick to it.

1. no spend

2.  total fail. TOTAL FAIL. Did some holiday shopping even though I haven't figured out a budget yet.  Also bought a robe for myself (been wanting it but still!)

3. no spend :)

4. planned spend-- ate at our annual Greek Food Festival with my family

5. no spend :)

6. planned spend-- bought new diapers and a crib for our daughter

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#16 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

For most people it is the middle of the day, but naptime is when I have a chance to get on the computer.  So I'm updating now. 

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

My progress =  1 thumb.gif day so far

#17 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:

a. Who you are

a)  A HSing mom in rural Washington, outside the small city of Olympia hippie.gif.  DH and I are both self-employed, but as a gardener, dh's wrok is seasonal and I just lost my biggest housekeeping client because we were never a great match, just the best we could do.  Still, though I don't miss the job much I miss the extra income--about $600/month!  

We couldn't sell our house in the nearby Tiny Town, so we managed to rent that and I was hoping that the surge in income and reduced expenses would allow dh and I to purchase health insurance (kicked off state subsidized insurance due to an inheritance, now have to wait 3-5 years before our name comes up again.)  Also hoping to let dd1 join the gymnastics team.  No luck yet due to the job loss, so we just have to hold off.  If I scrrrraaaaaaappe I can justify once-a-week gymnastics lessons for 2 girls, and a shared riding lesson every other week.

b)  We must get the grocery budget down and have had marginal success, but we still need more work.  I want to have income available for dd1 to join that team this spring!  I want and need health care for dh and I (girls are still covered), but the best/lowest coverage for us is about 350/month, and that is before incurring any medical expenses.  Still, I really feel we need it.  We also need to build our savings so that if we have a big expense, like needing a newer car or truck, it won't devastate us.  Dh needs a truck for his business, even though the expense eats into his profits.  We are planning on renting our old house until the market turns around, and we plan trying again in 3-5 years.

c)  For now, we need to get spending under control.  Other plans will come later as the girls get older.

This is a difficult time of year for us.  We have the girls' birthdays clustered right around Christmas, and income is flat.  I wanted to post on the October thread, but birthdays just made it feel pointless. Today, though, I need some strength to pass by the coffee stand and the French fries.

I don't plan on posting every day.  But I think checking in here will help give me the strength to not make frivolous purchases, or wasteful or needlessly extravagant purchases.

So far this month........NO SPENDING AT ALL!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!  orngtongue.gif

OK, not true.  Our neighbor showed up with a load of gravel for our road.  Necessary.  Heading out on errands before riding lesson.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#18 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Key

thumb.gif  No spend/ budgeted spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutes

1.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Starting the month off right orngbiggrin.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#19 of 243 Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM

1.  I'm Kristin!  I'll be joining in again this month.  I am a working mama of 3 (our boy - child #3 - is due to be born one week from today).  slingboy.gif   I am going to have to be very careful financially, especially this month, as I am taking most of this month off work due to having the baby. I am trying to get in as many hours as possible before the baby is born, but I am not getting as much done as I would like due to exhaustion and discomfort.  We are mostly prepared for our little guy's arrival (still need to get some things and/or make some things in the way of cloth diapers), and should be doing good other than that.  We have been stocking the freezer for some time so we are doing pretty good on food, though I will still be buying some things (particularly bread, milk, eggs, fruits/veggies from the weekly co-op).  My mom bought me two bread pans today (I haven't had any in two years) so now I can make some home-baked bread again - one of our favorites, and it saves a lot of $. 

2. We have both short and long term financial goals.  Ideally we would love to be debt free with an emergency savings, savings for each of the kids, and being able to contribute to our long-term savings and investments.  That future is a long way off, but it is what we are working toward.

3. Right now we are working on paying off a small loan, and every pay day (4x/mo) are trying to add $20 to it.  This is a small step in the big scheme of things, but given our tight financial situation right now it is the best we can do to move forward.  Progress is progress! 

I need to save back at least $60 for December gasoline so that I can use it when I start going back to work.  I won't be getting much of a check if any in the beginning of December, and I will really need one.  I get reimbursed for mileage on the first, which means I will have to start back from scratch (it coming out of my own pocket) in December, waiting for reimbursement.  I drive a LOT, so I need to at least save up enough for one whole gas tank to get me through the first pay period of no check, so I can drive to see clients.

I am going to attempt to work on my "smaller" job, even right after I have the baby, so I can keep some money coming in.  We'll see how this goes, but it should be fairly doable as long as I can be mobile.  I will give myself a week to recover before trying to tackle this stuff.  I can do some from home via email/phone.

I am trying to reign in things within our budget that are taking away from what we might be able to use toward our future or even bettering our life right now.  I am working on making wiser financial choices.  I don't want to eat out anymore, unless it is a special occasion.  It had become a nearly every-day thing, especially with me working in the field, out of my car.  I found a wonderful source for affordable car-friendly snacks that will work for me and my clients (I am a social worker).  I have been spending the past few months preparing as much as I can for the birth of our baby and the upcoming birthdays and holidays.  We still have some holiday preparations but things are looking good, and we should at least have something for the kids.

I am going to try to spend the time home with the baby re-evaluating a lot of things, and getting back to what matters.  I will do my best to find new ways to save $ for my family, and make things more efficient.  I am going to re-vamp our budget and make sure that we're not "leaking" money in places that we don't need to (we will probably cancel cable for example - we rarely watch it, and have Netflix.  I'm actually a little embarrassed we still have cable.)

Expected expenses include a new-to-us dryer.  We are going to be watching very closely for a good used one on Craigslist.  Old is fine.  I just need something to dry my clothes, especially since we'll be starting cloth diapering very soon!  Right now we are hanging our clothes out on the line, but with the weather freezing soon it may be more difficult, especially since I can only have the line out for a short period of time during the day (we have to drape it across the driveway, and need it clear for daughter's bus to drive up)

#20 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

1.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Starting the month off right orngbiggrin.gif

#21 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Very exciting time, Kristin!!!!  Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamato2 View Post

1.  I'm Kristin!  I'll be joining in again this month.  I am a working mama of 3 (our boy - child #3 - is due to be born one week from today).  slingboy.gif  

#22 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Wallet is still in the filing cabinet. 

My game plan for the day is to clean clean clean my house -- usually cleaning helps me realize that I do not want to buy any more stuff because then I'd have to clean it.

I really would like to earn another thumb.gif no spend day to get my month off to a solid start. 

Plenty of food in the house, everyone has the clothes they need, Christmas is two months away -- today could easily be a no-spend.  I just have to work on it.

#23 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 AM

11/1: no spend shine.gif

Today should be no spend also.  Tomorrow is going to be a budgeted spending day.

#24 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 AM

1. thumb.gif   Woohoo - day 1 off to a good start.  Budgeted spend evening with my grandmother.

Today should be no-spend...Fingers crossed!

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#25 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Yes!

LOL, I usually start off well, it's as the month goes on that I get twitchy for spending.  Hopefully with 3 birthdays this month and a trip to the ILs for Thanksgiving, I'll be super distracted from spending anything.

#26 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM

I really need to join too! I am Ruth, a SAHM and student parent to 3. It's been a really expensive year so far (I got married and there were also 2 other family weddings and 2 new babies to welcome) so we really need to stick to our budget and get our debts paid off.

My biggest downfall is a certain local shop which I am going to try and avoid going into more than once a week. All the stuff in there is a good price and useful but I can do without about 80% of it! I also need to make sure I plan meals and cook at home. This time of year tends to throw up problems as I get horribly insecure and end up massively overspending on presents. I am determined not to go down that road this year!

Our financial goals are to stick to budget over the holiday period, be debt free (other than student loans) in 5 years and to have saved enough for a house deposit. We should be able to do all that if we stick to our plan and our car can manage to go more than 3 months without something expensive falling off (would be a pleasant change...).

joy.gif - no spend thumb.gif - budgeted spend smile.gif - cooked proper meals crochetsmilie.gif - crafted something for Christmas yummy.gif - Ate planned meals irked.gif - over spent/wasted money

01 - thumb.gif Had brunch out with the kids - a school holiday tradition in our house!

02 - thumb.gif Food shopping

03 -  irked.gif Forgot to take lunch to a class in the city so bought a sandwich and coffee

04 -  irked.gif Overspent in the supermarket

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#27 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

11/1) Errand day, so no-spend not possible, but we managed to get out of Trader Joe's under $30 and the co-op under $50.  Nothing unplanned or extravagant or unnecessary.  Oops but the Gentle Floss is on sale--that stuff is expensive.  Bought 3.  Good idea?  Hmmmmm.......  Also let the girls have a "juice-pop" each.  Cheap thrills.  And they didn't whine about a "no treats!" day, considering we just hosted 2 birthday parties, plus went trick-or-treating.

I managed to pass by the coffee stand, my weekly TJ's treat, AND that chocolate croissant coo-cooing at me through the co-op bakery shelf.  thumb.gif  Gave $20 for a DVD from their riding instructor, intended as part of dd2's birthday presents.

Got home and was presented with last month's Visa bill.  bigeyes.gif  Ouch.  We are in deep doo-doo.

11/2)  Staying home today, so no chance to spend, except if dh stops for something.  Same for the weekend, so I'm going to have good faith and add those too, in good faith and as a bit of a challenge.  I'll check back in Monday because I think dh needs to stop by the grocery store for a couple of things.

11/3)  Staying home and away from stores

11/4)  Staying home, no spending predicted-- ???????

Food bill so far this month, including Azure Standard order, is $164.  Trying to keep it under $750 this month (all-organic groceries, plus eating out included in this total).

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#28 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

02..  thumb.gif

My progress =  2 thumb.gif days so far

#29 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

a. Who you are - orangemomma, 40-something, WOHM part-time momma to a teen and a toddler

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) My goals for November are to stay current with my bills - Dave Ramsey pre-step 0.8. I also want to find some cash for Christmas.

c. How you plan to get there - stick to the budget, pick up any extra shifts that come my way, try to sell some unused toys at consignment shop. I wonder if I would make more $$ selling on craigslist?? Trouble is I don't have a camera to take pix to post of the stuff I might have available.

11/1 - no spend

11/2 gas for car, paid bills - budgeted both

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 231/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $468.31
#30 of 243 Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM

a. Who you are - pickle18, SAHM to an awesome toddler love.gif makin' it work on one income

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) - major goal is financing some overdue, pretty big home repairs.  Beyond that, savings and remaining student loans.

c. How you plan to get there - cutting back (version 2.0) on expenses, setting a solid budget.  We've made tons of cuts so I can be at home, we love thrift stores & I'm trying to do better about meal-planning and using all our (often organic) produce.  We don't go out to eat, buy fancy beer/coffee, etc.  No hobby expenses.  No cable.  Usually only extra expense if it's something that will prove to save money (ex. mama cloth), and even then, we are bargain hunters.  Would like to cut out/make some of our processed snacks (cereal, granola bars, crackers) and make even more frugal, tasty meals that are cheaper than our fall-back canned soup or frozen entrees.  Could certainly use even more restraint in buying things for DS.  We have also considered selling some of our old baby things, like orangemomma mentioned, but I always feel guilty, that we should just donate it...(DH doesn't have this hang-up, haha!)

I was really proud on Halloween - we got DS' costume last year for $5 on craigslist, and I made DH's & my costume the day of for $7 total (and that includes real clothes we can still wear).  Just took some scrap felt, old makeup, leftover Easter bunny ears, safety pins, and a diaper insert ROTFLMAO.gif.

love.gif - extra thrifty

thumb.gif - no spend

smile.gif - normal expense

greensad.gif - unplanned extra

1. smile.gif groceries

2. thumb.gif

edited for ridiculous typos

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page