~December~ No-Spend Challenge -- Is your shopping finished? Time to come join us! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 184 Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

a. Who you are:  sarah, mom to dd(7). we homeschool and i work PT as director for a local after school child care program where i can take my daughter. we're homesteading too!

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and:  working on trying to stay current. i don't get paid when school is out so i'll have to keep the budget super tight due to the 2 weeks off for christmas/new year's break. it's already hand-to-mouth pretty much here so i'm not sure what's going to be able to bend.

c. How you plan to get there:  i already track everything. i plan on line/rack drying as much as possible. i turned the heat down to 64 from 66 yesterday. we have a heater in the bedroom (i share with dd) that we'll put on 68 when we got to bed. i made a menu plan yesterday. we don't have all of the food on the plan but i do have food that i can substitute until we can get to the store. i need to try to keep all of our grocery bill in our food stamp allowance this month and next month. i have also told my supervisor that i can take extra hours in the central office child care if they need anyone. i've also started hanging our outfits together so that we can (1) have an easier time getting dressed and (2) rotate our clothes so that i wash them every other wearing instead of each time.

key:

no spend-thumb.gif     

budgeted spend-winky.gif       

over budget or not budgeted-greensad.gif   

extra shift, freebee awesome deal-joy.gif   

hung clothes on line- hang.gif

12/1: greensad.gif  

12/2: greensad.gif  

12/3: thumb.gif

12/4: thumb.gif

#32 of 184 Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Un-budgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutes

1.  irked.gif knit.gif Unbudgeted lunch out, budgeted grocery shopping.

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't go anywhere.  DH fixed a faulty outlet in the kitchen, then we put together our free bed frame.  This is how we need to spend our weekends, getting household projects done, NOT shopping.

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Bought the very last thing on the Christmas gift list (I've been watching zuliliy for it for weeks now), but it was budgeted.  There shouldn't be anymore spending happening today, hopefully raking and garden bed upkeep will get done instead.

4.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Budgeted spending today, but I feel angry.gif  DS2 has a virus that ended us up in the dr's office (rash & fever), had to get him an Rx for some steroid cream for his flaring eczema, stopped at the grocery store and grabbed some quick things for dinner (thankfully there's money in the food budget).

3/20 No Spend Days

4/20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#33 of 184 Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM

December's Key: 

No spend-thumb.gif      Budgeted spend-winky.gif        Went over or not budgeted-greensad.gif    Extra shift, freebee awesome deal-joy.gif  Hung clothes on line hang.gif

1.  winky.gif Online Christmas shopping

2. thumb.gif

3. thumb.gif

4. thumb.gif Worked from home.  Made yummy turkey soup with T-Day leftovers from the freezer

5. Going to return some impulse buys at Ikea, but I also have to put a list together for a few Christmas gifts!  Hopw to keep myself in check, this is an easy budget buster for me!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#34 of 184 Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
12/1 Cuss.gif We were traveling and I forgot to feed us breakfast before we left. Spent $15. 
12/2 eyesroll.gif Today will be budgeted Christmas spending only.  
12/3 eyesroll.gif Oil change and I'll spend about $10 on the way home. Tomorrow should be my first no spend day!
12/4 eyesroll.gifCuss.gif Ok so I spent about $95 on groceries which is $5 under budget even though $7 was unnecessary stuff and I spent $7 at starbucks because my kids pushed me to my coffee point. :(

Tomorrow will be a no-spend day because we will be staying home all day! And Thursday should be the same!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0/20 No spend days

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Key

joy.gif Did something frugal at home
jammin.gif No spend
eyesroll.gif Budgeted spend
Cuss.gif Unbudgeted Spend

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#35 of 184 Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

My goal for the month = 15 thumb.gif no-spend days

My progress so far = 2 days

01..  $30 cross-country ski punchcard + 136 for new ski pants

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 Bagels

04..  thumb.gif

15..  PAY OFF our 2nd Mortgage. 

#36 of 184 Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet Silver -- LOVE those wreaths!!!!!!! 

#37 of 184 Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

This month I am adding some smaller goals.  I'm going to post them a day or three in advance, and I get a Happy Little Dude-icon if I make it.

Last month I had about 12 No-spend days jammin.gif, and a handful of budgeted spending days banana.gif.  I'm not even going to try to make a goal about # of days this-or-that because of the uncertainties of Christmas shopping, but I need to avoid oops.gif days.

Here's what actually happened:

12/1 Waldorf Winter Faire.  Cost went up--spent $35 faint.gif.  Spent $8 on Christmas ornaments, so an itty-bitty oops.gif.  Still, I packed lunch as planned, and made no other stops.  So I deserve something, and this little Bouncy-Dude is just right. biggrinbounce.gif

12/2   jammin.gif No-spend day 

12/3   jammin.gif No spend day  Made that awesome, no-spend, handcrafted Christmas wreath you can see on post #29.

12/4  banana.gifGroceries $92  Stuck to the lists!!   I just didn't make the very best lists.  Forgot a couple things.  Started 2nd pair of no-spend mittens from yarn sitting in the bottom of the yarn drawer for 10 years.

Here are the goals for the next 3 days:

12/5 DH will be picking up a couple of forgotten groceries.  No big deal, this always happens.  I will still earn a Dancin' Veggie.

12/6 This will be a no-spend day as we are all home.  Maybe I'll get to the online Christmas shopping.

12/7  This will be a small spend day, stopping by Trader Joe's for juice, etc.

This month, I am breaking my monthly grocery goal (this month $800 because I tanked so badly) into smaller weekly goals--more like guidelines.  After the Azure Standard order, this leaves us around $156 per week.  Groceries include regular eating out expenses, which are marginal.  Most of the food we buy is organic, and allergies leave us eating a lot more meat and fewer vegetarian (and cheaper!) protein sources.  That jacks the bill up, though even last month's total, just shy of $900, is a major improvement.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#38 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
joy.gif Did something frugal at home

Micah -- this is a good idea!  I like that you have that as one of your goals.  That seems like celebrating the positive to me and that helps to not feel deprived.

#39 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

We have been working on paying of CC debt, for longer than I'd like to say!  We are $1,900 away from paying it off!  I could not be more excited.  November was the 1st time I ever stuck to the thread for an entire month and it was a tremendous help. 

Maria!!!  Sooooooooo close!!!!!!!  Good job.  Do you have an idea of how long it is going to take you to pay off that last $1,900?  Way to go, Mama!  clap.gif

#40 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Wow.  December is a very hard month to watch your spending.  Wow.

Today I'm going to Costco.  I would very much like to go to Costco without any children because toys are living large in that store this time of year.  but I've got to take them.  grrrrr....

And my friends are planning a lot of nights out -- I'm a very social person and I don't like to live like a hermit...but I keep reminding myself how much more fun it is going to be AFTER January 1st when I can go out without that second mortgage hanging over my head.

I just declined a couple of invitations.  That was hard.

But these are short term sacrifices.  My friends will still be going out in January.  And February. And so on...

I just need to hold that money tight for a few more weeks.

TODAY....my goal.... is to go to Costco with a list.  Buy only the things on my list (exciting things like milk and cat litter) and if I buy ONLY that necessary budgeted stuff, then I get a no-spend for the day. 

(See SweetSilver you are influencing me with the mini-goals! winky.gif)

#41 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Wow.  December is a very hard month to watch your spending.  Wow.

Today I'm going to Costco.  I would very much like to go to Costco without any children because toys are living large in that store this time of year.  but I've got to take them.  grrrrr....

And my friends are planning a lot of nights out -- I'm a very social person and I don't like to live like a hermit...but I keep reminding myself how much more fun it is going to be AFTER January 1st when I can go out without that second mortgage hanging over my head.

I just declined a couple of invitations.  That was hard.

But these are short term sacrifices.  My friends will still be going out in January.  And February. And so on...

I just need to hold that money tight for a few more weeks.

TODAY....my goal.... is to go to Costco with a list.  Buy only the things on my list (exciting things like milk and cat litter) and if I buy ONLY that necessary budgeted stuff, then I get a no-spend for the day. 

(See SweetSilver you are influencing me with the mini-goals! winky.gif)

December is incredibly hard for No Spend!!

Keep reminding yourself Prudence, "Live like no one else now, so later you can live like no one else!"  The sacrifice of going out with friends IS only temporary.

As for going to Costco with the kids on tow, I feel your pain hug2.gif  That's one of my major issues with Costco, the temptation it presents to my children.  I'm able to walk away from most of the stuff, but the toys, they call to my children every time we go.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#42 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Micah -- this is a good idea!  I like that you have that as one of your goals.  That seems like celebrating the positive to me and that helps to not feel deprived.

Thanks! I got the idea from other ladies putting the crafting icon on there, I'm not crafty at all but I do a lot at home that I enjoy that saves money. :)

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#43 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 AM

12/1 Cuss.gif We were traveling and I forgot to feed us breakfast before we left. Spent $15. 
12/3 eyesroll.gif Oil change and I'll spend about $10 on the way home. Tomorrow should be my first no spend day!
12/4 eyesroll.gifCuss.gif Ok so I spent about $95 on groceries which is $5 under budget even though $7 was unnecessary stuff and I spent $7 at starbucks because my kids pushed me to my coffee point. :(
12/5 joy.gif Cuss.gif I was good all day until I went through chick fil a. $17. I didn't even think about it! It was like...subconcious or something, afterwards I was like "NOOO, my no spend day!!!" Sigh. 
Stuff I did to be frugal at home: We had oranges with breakfast and I had lemon water, I put all the peels in a big jar and covered with vinegar to make a citrus cleaning solution. We are also making granola bars for snacks and I'm using the leftover granola bar stuff to make a homemade cold cereal for me to snack on after the boys go to bed (bran flakes, dried blueberries, cranberries and strawberries, chopped almonds, coconut). 

12/6 Cuss.gif $5 on breakfast and I'm about to go to Wal Mart to get my 2 yo his own undies since he randomly decided to poop and pee on the potty today. :)

I decided I'm going to count days with only budgeted spending as no spend..

2/20 No spend days

Key
jammin.gif No spend

#44 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:

We had oranges with breakfast and I had lemon water, I put all the peels in a big jar and covered with vinegar to make a citrus cleaning solution. 

How does this work?  I'm going to try this.  Does it take a lot of peels?  Or just a few in some vinegar?  Then diluted with water or not?

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#45 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

so far so good.  I decided to postpone Costco until tomorrow.

#46 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

How does this work?  I'm going to try this.  Does it take a lot of peels?  Or just a few in some vinegar?  Then diluted with water or not?

This is how I do it.  Sometimes I dilute it half-half with water, sometimes I do less water if I want a bit of a stronger citrus cleaner.

#47 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Key

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't go anywhere.  DH fixed a faulty outlet in the kitchen, then we put together our free bed frame.  This is how we need to spend our weekends, getting household projects done, NOT shopping.

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Bought the very last thing on the Christmas gift list (I've been watching zuliliy for it for weeks now), but it was budgeted.  There shouldn't be anymore spending happening today, hopefully raking and garden bed upkeep will get done instead.

4.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Budgeted spending today, but I feel angry.gif  DS2 has a virus that ended us up in the dr's office (rash & fever), had to get him an Rx for some steroid cream for his flaring eczema, stopped at the grocery store and grabbed some quick things for dinner (thankfully there's money in the food budget).

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home, stayed away from online shopping, got a gnome for DD3 knit, will be working on more crafting after the rugrats go to bed.

Tomorrow should also be a No Spend day with quite a bit of crafting happening.

4/20 No Spend Days

5/20 Crafting Days

#48 of 184 Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM

This month I am adding some smaller goals.  I'm going to post them a day or three in advance, and I get a Happy Little Dude-icon if I make it.

Last month I had about 12 No-spend days jammin.gif, and a handful of budgeted spending days banana.gif.  I'm not even going to try to make a goal about # of days this-or-that because of the uncertainties of Christmas shopping, but I need to avoid oops.gif days.

12/1 Waldorf Winter Faire.  Cost went up--spent $35 faint.gif.  Spent $8 on Christmas ornaments, so an itty-bitty oops.gif.  Still, I packed lunch as planned, and made no other stops.  So I deserve something, and this little Bouncy-Dude is just right. biggrinbounce.gif

12/3   jammin.gif No spend day  Made that awesome, no-spend, handcrafted Christmas wreath you can see on post #29.

12/4  banana.gifGroceries $92  Stuck to the lists!!   I just didn't make the very best lists.  

12/5  banana.gifGroceries $34.  That's $126/ $156 for the week ending Friday.

12/6 This will be a no-spend day as we are all home.  Maybe I'll get to the online Christmas shopping.

12/7  This will be a small spend day, stopping by Trader Joe's for juice, etc.  Looks like we have $30 to keep on target with our monthly food budget ($800 this month).  I'm working.  DH is taking the girls to gymnastics and doing the shopping.

12/8  This will be a no-spend or online shopping.  Baking bread day.

#49 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 AM

key:

no spend-thumb.gif     

budgeted spend-winky.gif       

over budget or not budgeted-greensad.gif   

extra shift, freebee awesome deal-joy.gif   

hung clothes on line- hang.gif

12/1: greensad.gif  

12/2: greensad.gif  

12/3: thumb.gif

12/4: thumb.gif

12/5: thumb.gif

12/6: thumb.gif  hang.gif never made it to walmart

12/7: thumb.gif  hang.gif

#50 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 AM

thumb.gif = No spend/budgeted spend

irked.gif = Unbudgeted spend

1.  irked.gif  Breakfast out

2.  irked.gif  Lunch out after church

3.  irked.gif  Supper out tonight with a dear cousin who is going through a rough patch

4.  thumb.gif

5.  irked.gif  Man, this month is hard to get a grip on.  Supper out, husband made 2 purchases (one at school and one on-line). 

6.  Not sure about today yet.  I need to order DH's birthday and Christmas (he's a 3 day before Christmas baby). So today will more than likely be a spend day also.  Will repost later when I know for sure.

Me  ribbonpink.gif, DH  guitar.gif, DSviolin.gif, 2 dogsdog2.gif,  and 4 chickens and 2 roosterschicken3.gif 
#51 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM

12/4  banana.gifGroceries $92  Stuck to the lists!!   I just didn't make the very best lists.  

12/5  banana.gifGroceries $34.  That's $126/ $156 for the week ending Friday.

12/6  banana.gif Online Christmas shopping.  I get a Dancing Banana today, but I don't know how I'm going to stick the Christmas budget dh and I agreed on.  

12/7  This will be a small spend day, stopping by Trader Joe's for juice, etc.  Looks like we have $30 to keep on target with our monthly food budget ($800 this month).  I'm working.  DH is taking the girls to gymnastics and doing the shopping.

12/8 We are going into town this afternoon for the girls' gymnastics showoff.  I've promised them a trip to the coffee stand.  Dairy Queen, too, for french fries?  Perhaps, as this event runs pretty late.  

12/9  This will be a no-spend day.

I'm feeling like I'm fighting off this illness that has been lurking at our house since Thanksgiving.  I work tomorrow, and I really need to kick this.

#52 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM

12/5 joy.gif Cuss.gif I was good all day until I went through chick fil a. $17. I didn't even think about it! It was like...subconcious or something, afterwards I was like "NOOO, my no spend day!!!" Sigh. 
Stuff I did to be frugal at home: We had oranges with breakfast and I had lemon water, I put all the peels in a big jar and covered with vinegar to make a citrus cleaning solution. We are also making granola bars for snacks and I'm using the leftover granola bar stuff to make a homemade cold cereal for me to snack on after the boys go to bed (bran flakes, dried blueberries, cranberries and strawberries, chopped almonds, coconut). 

12/6 Cuss.gif energy.gif $5 on breakfast and I'm about to go to Wal Mart to get my 2 yo his own undies since he randomly decided to poop and pee on the potty today.energy.gif

2/20 No spend days

Key
jammin.gif No spend

#53 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Why is this so hard this month?

#54 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:

12/6 Cuss.gif $5 on breakfast and I'm about to go to Wal Mart to get my 2 yo his own undies since he randomly decided to poop and pee on the potty today. :)

I think celebratory undies deserve something happy as well, like:

energy.gif

Or:

thumbsup.gif

Or:

biggrinbounce.gif

And I think you should get something happy for budgeted spending days as well.  I once lived for nearly a year or more without one dollar passing through my fingertips, but that was kind of a zen, hippie-trippy year and my home was by backpack!

#55 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I think celebratory undies deserve something happy as well, like:

energy.gif

Or:

thumbsup.gif

Or:

biggrinbounce.gif

And I think you should get something happy for budgeted spending days as well.  I once lived for nearly a year or more without one dollar passing through my fingertips, but that was kind of a zen, hippie-trippy year and my home was by backpack!

Good call, I'll be adding another happy smilie! :) It's weird because it's my 2 year old, my 4 year old has NEVER pooped on the potty and my 2 yo is just like "hey, today I'm going to be potty training, just fyi." 

I feel like a year of no spending, traveling, back packing, etc would be amazing..have you written about it? I'd love to read more!

#56 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM

I had a page or two in the book "Walking the Trail" by someone or other.  It's funny because I was really just starting out.  That wasn't when I didn't use money, though, because I remember buying beans and tortillas and fig newtons from the mini-mart where I had the talk with the author.  There are some more recent books that sound interesting from at least one person (in England is the one I heard about on NPR) and he made it more than an experiment.  The guy is, like, making flour from dandelion seeds (or something like that!).

#57 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I spent over $400 today but it was all on gasoline for the car and food.

Budgeted spending.  I stuck strictly to my list at Costco.

I even had three fleeces for the girls in my cart at one point and put them back.  I put back a Quart of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream.

I was hardcore.

Quote:

My goal for the month = 15 thumb.gif no-spend days

My progress so far = 3 days

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

15..  PAY OFF our 2nd Mortgage. 

#58 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's what I do.  Congratulations on having a new potty-user in your home!!

Quote:

Why is this so hard this month?

December = the hardest month of the year.

I think it is because so many people around you are spending money this month.  And all the festivities.

#59 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I spent over $400 today but it was all on gasoline for the car and food.

Budgeted spending.  I stuck strictly to my list at Costco.

I even had three fleeces for the girls in my cart at one point and put them back.  I put back a Quart of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream.

I was hardcore.

clap.gif and jaw2.gif on the ice cream!!  Great job, Prudence!!

#60 of 184 Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Key

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home, stayed away from online shopping, got a gnome for DD3 knit, will be working on more crafting after the rugrats go to bed.

6.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home again, no spending.  Lots of crafting for the holidays happening.

5/20 No Spend Days

6/20 Crafting Days

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page