~December~ No-Spend Challenge -- Is your shopping finished? Time to come join us! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you ladies!!!!!~

I'm very excited and happy about the payoff -- which happened at 11:30 AM this morning.

But this news from Conneticut has broken my heart and I'm still in shock from that.

I've been at the elementary school....with my daughter.  I just want to hold them and hug them tight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

Thank you ladies!!!!!~

I'm very excited and happy about the payoff -- which happened at 11:30 AM this morning.

clap.gifthumbsup.gifpartytime.gifchampagne.gif  WooHoo, mama!!!

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Un-budgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutes

1.  irked.gifknit.gif Unbudgeted lunch out, budgeted grocery shopping.

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't go anywhere.  DH fixed a faulty outlet in the kitchen, then we put together our free bed frame.  This is how we need to spend our weekends, getting household projects done, NOT shopping.

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Bought the very last thing on the Christmas gift list (I've been watching zuliliy for it for weeks now), but it was budgeted.  There shouldn't be anymore spending happening today, hopefully raking and garden bed upkeep will get done instead.

4.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Budgeted spending today, but I feel angry.gif  DS2 has a virus that ended us up in the dr's office (rash & fever), had to get him an Rx for some steroid cream for his flaring eczema, stopped at the grocery store and grabbed some quick things for dinner (thankfully there's money in the food budget).

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home, stayed away from online shopping, got a gnome for DD3 knit, will be working on more crafting after the rugrats go to bed.

6.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home again, no spending.  Lots of crafting for the holidays happening.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  REALLY wanted to get fast food for dinner but DH and I decided he'd make a quick run to the store instead.  $$ for groceries is in the budget, fast food isn't (especially when it's almost $40 for our family at McDs).  Made cookies with the kids for a cookie exchange I'm going to tomorrow.

8.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Cookie exchange and holiday crafting.  No spending.

9.  irked.gif  knit.gif  3 sick kids dizzy.gif, $30 ordered pizza for dinner, totally unbudgeted.

10. thumb.gif  Budgeted spending, placed my seed order for 2013's growing season.  Rest of the day I carried around a sick toddler. so NO crafting was done.

11.  irked.gif  Unbudgeted spending.  DS2's allergist appointment involved skin testing, we bribed him with a toy from WM ($24).  No plan for dinner, DH stopped at the store and picked up our first try at wheat free pasta and sauce ($13).

12. thumb.gif  No crafting today, 8yo DS1, 4yo DD2, and DH all are sick.

13. thumb.gif  $35 at supermarket.  Tried our first gluten free bread, wasn't too bad.  It'll do great in a pinch for times I don't have time to bake.

14. thumb.gif  Dr copay, DH had a consult for "minor surgery".

My kids and DH have been down and out with a virus the last couple of days.  There has been no crafting happening at all.  Tomorrow we get our tree, do our monthly Costco shop, and hopefully I'll get some crafting done.

11/20 No Spend Days

9/20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

12/1 Waldorf Winter Faire.  Cost went up--spent $35 faint.gif.  Spent $8 on Christmas ornaments, so an itty-bitty oops.gif.  Still, I packed lunch as planned, and made no other stops.  So I deserve something, and this little Bouncy-Dude is just right. biggrinbounce.gif

12/2   jammin.gif No-spend day 

12/3   jammin.gif No spend day  Made that awesome, no-spend, handcrafted Christmas wreath you can see on post #29.

12/4  banana.gifGroceries $92  Stuck to the lists!!   I just didn't make the very best lists.  

12/5  banana.gifGroceries $34.  That's $126/ $156 for the week ending Friday.

12/6  banana.gif Online Christmas shopping.  I get a Dancing Banana today, but I don't know how I'm going to stick the Christmas budget dh and I agreed on.  

12/7  banana.gif Had about $30 in this week's food budget left to keep on target for the month, spent $29.34!!  Dinner at DQ tonight instead of tomorrow $16.

12/8   oops.gif  It had to happen sooner or later.  Groceries $89.  Hot chocolate stop $4.  Including last night's DQ $16, that puts us at $108 out of $156 for the week that just started!

12/9  dizzy.gifChristmas tree shopping.  Cost of trees doubled.  Ouch!

12/10  jammin.gif  No spend today.  Made a big ol' pot of soupy beans, smoky with bacon.  Mmmmm.  And cheap!

12/11   banana.gif carrot.gifErrand day/ Well-child appt./ Groceries  I am back in the groove!!  I packed lunches and snacks.  I deserved an extra Happy Veggie.

12/12  jammin.gif  Work day.  No spend.

12/13  banana.gif  carrot.gif  Another day deserving an armada of Dancing Veggies.  DH came home with the groceries, and we came in at $151/ 156 for the week!  Nearly midway through the month we are at $478/$800, which includes the Azure Standard order.  Made bread today.

12/14  jammin.gif  No spend.  

Here are the goals for the next 3 days:

12/15 & 12/16 Heading to the Big City and have some Big Spending planned for Christmas shopping and groceries.  Made my lists, still adding to them. Made food and snacks for the weekend, so hopefully that cost won't be so high.  Allowing myself a box of Christmas baubles, if I find ones I love, and a good candy thermometer.  And, of course, 2 gray-salt caramels from Fran's chocolate shop.  Wish me luck!

12/17  This will be no-spend.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Ummmm...I need some inspiration, so I'm back ;)  I have gone on a RIDICULOUS spending binge since giving up on the no-spend challenge.  I need to find some balance!  Granted, my birthday was last week, so I got some birthday money and I really haven't been impulse buying (well, not THAT much ;))--it's been mostly things I'd been planning on buying.  The big spending came from me deciding I need to see 3 nights of the String Cheese Incident for NYE ;)  I mean, that's a totally necessary purchase!  Anyway, to continue my ramble, the biggest restriction I'd been feeling when doing the no-spend challenge these last few months was in regards to seeing live music.  It may seem silly to some, but it's what keeps me centered and feeling connected with community.  I need to figure out how to budget money for live music in--it's tricky, though!  I also kinda fell off my meal planning wagon a bit, so as of right now, I'm back on and I'm gonna stick to it!  I balanced my checkbook and figured out how much cash I need for the rest of this month, so I think I'm gonna be okay (I did have to make a transfer from savings to cover my credit card bill, though--kinda defeats the purpose of all the saving I'd been doing!)  My Christmas shopping is done, except for some picture frames that I'm planning to thrift.  I don't want to try to get in as many no-spend days as possible, I just want to be more conscious of what I'm spending, so I'm gonna check back in here periodically to hold myself accountable.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

Ummmm...I need some inspiration, so I'm back ;)  I have gone on a RIDICULOUS spending binge since giving up on the no-spend challenge.  I need to find some balance!  Granted, my birthday was last week, so I got some birthday money and I really haven't been impulse buying (well, not THAT much ;))--it's been mostly things I'd been planning on buying.  The big spending came from me deciding I need to see 3 nights of the String Cheese Incident for NYE ;)  I mean, that's a totally necessary purchase!  Anyway, to continue my ramble, the biggest restriction I'd been feeling when doing the no-spend challenge these last few months was in regards to seeing live music.  It may seem silly to some, but it's what keeps me centered and feeling connected with community.  I need to figure out how to budget money for live music in--it's tricky, though!  I also kinda fell off my meal planning wagon a bit, so as of right now, I'm back on and I'm gonna stick to it!  I balanced my checkbook and figured out how much cash I need for the rest of this month, so I think I'm gonna be okay (I did have to make a transfer from savings to cover my credit card bill, though--kinda defeats the purpose of all the saving I'd been doing!)  My Christmas shopping is done, except for some picture frames that I'm planning to thrift.  I don't want to try to get in as many no-spend days as possible, I just want to be more conscious of what I'm spending, so I'm gonna check back in here periodically to hold myself accountable.

Yeah!!!!!  Glad to have you back, honeybee!  You were rocking the no-spend thread last month and were an inspiration for US!

Let us know how we can help you find balance in your journey.  it is tough to balance that line between saving money and feeling deprived.  You definitely don't want to deprive yourself because then you will fall off the wagon.

Counting no-spend days is just a trick or a method.  It helps some of us, it doesn't help all of us.  You do whatever will help YOU spend the least amount of money without making you anti-social.

Welcome back!!!!  grouphug.gif

Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

clap.gifthumbsup.gifpartytime.gifchampagne.gif  WooHoo, mama!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!  joy.gif

I'm ~~~~thrilled~~~~.  We've been in debt our entire married life...and we've been married 17 years.  so this is such a good happy moment for our family.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My goal for the month = 15 thumb.gif no-spend days 

My progress so far = 8 days

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  $2,027  2nd Mortgage.  Goodbye Mortgage!!!  joy.gif

Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

14..  $2,027  2nd Mortgage.  Goodbye Mortgage!!!  joy.gif

$2000???  Wow!  I need to take a moment and be thankful for the tiny payments we are making.  I have no realistic idea what people are paying these days.

Congratulations, again.  That's a load off!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah!!!!!  Glad to have you back, honeybee!  You were rocking the no-spend thread last month and were an inspiration for US!

Let us know how we can help you find balance in your journey.  it is tough to balance that line between saving money and feeling deprived.  You definitely don't want to deprive yourself because then you will fall off the wagon.

Counting no-spend days is just a trick or a method.  It helps some of us, it doesn't help all of us.  You do whatever will help YOU spend the least amount of money without making you anti-social.

Welcome back!!!!  grouphug.gif

Thanks!! :)  I think what I need to get going is a 'fun' fund.  That will have to wait until January to get started, but I think that will help me feel like I have a life ;)  I decided to return an impulse skirt and leggings I bought at Target the other day (I totally don't need any new clothes!) and went grocery shopping today and came out just $1.33 above what I'd budgeted (not bad, considering I bought a chuck roast to make on the solstice that was $12!)  I think I may need to go to Costco in the next week or so to get pesto and cheese to last the rest of the month.  I'd decided a few weeks back that I was going to stop going to Costco, but I've since reconsidered that decision.  Prices can't be beat for the things I get there, so it will really help me stick to my food budget.  I think I'm going to start paying more on my student loan next month (that way I can't get the money back, like I can if I make a transfer into my savings account).  I think it will be the most beneficial for me to concurrently build up my savings, pay down my student loan, and put money into a sinking fund.  A little to each and I will be able to hang with my regular monthly budget and not feel deprived, but feel like I'm making savings/debt reduction progress.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

$2000???  Wow!  I need to take a moment and be thankful for the tiny payments we are making.  I have no realistic idea what people are paying these days.

My husband is a public school teacher...we can't afford a $2,000 a month mortgage payment.  This was a ~one~ time payment. 

And it was a 2nd mortgage -- on top of our regular mortgage...which we still have and will have for ten more years. 

That actual payment due each month was around $75.  I was just paying $2000 Friday to make the mortgage go away.  It was hard and I did it by s-t-r-e-t-c-h-ing our budget and having many no spend days over the past few months.  orngbiggrin.gif

Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My progress so far = 8 days

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  $20 eating out with my ballerina

15..  $7 hot cocoa + flowers for the ballerina

16..  thumb.gif

Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My husband is a public school teacher...we can't afford a $2,000 a month mortgage payment.  This was a ~one~ time payment. 

And it was a 2nd mortgage -- on top of our regular mortgage...which we still have and will have for ten more years. 

That actual payment due each month was around $75.  I was just paying $2000 Friday to make the mortgage go away.  It was hard and I did it by s-t-r-e-t-c-h-ing our budget and having many no spend days over the past few months.  orngbiggrin.gif

Oh, thank you.  I was getting dizzy just thinking about it!  I'm hoping my focus on spending habits will ease up the pressure and turn our string of red months into black.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 PM

12/15 & 12/16  shrug.gif Not entirely sure how to process this one.  

On one hand, I baked and packed a lot of good food to take with us to Seattle so I wouldn't be buying too much special for the trip.  I am either on target with the family Christmas spending dh and I agreed on, or under it.  I found no Christmas baubles I liked, saving myself some money.  Got a good deal on a candy thermometer.  Passed up many things along the way.  Did a great deal of walking, including to SIL's house from the shopping center.  Found a good deal on a gymnastics leotard (dd1 desperately needed another) at the consignment store on the way.  Streamlined the shopping and avoided a couple of extra stops.  Avoided parking lots entirely....

However, I wasn't too careful about packing lunches for myself, so I spent about $15 on food out and about both days (chalked those up as Christmas expense, not "food"expenses).  The bus the girls and I took from the toy store to the candy store was far more expensive than the last time I bussed it.  And Christmas still costs a lot of money.  

Grocery spending was decent, though I did spend exactly our week's goal.  I expect this week to be over-budget, but not by a lot.  

So, I think I did OK.  But I did still spend a whole lot of money, so I am not feeling all that celebratory.  I will say this thread seems to be with me every time I look and something cool and consider.  It's been helping makes my purchases with focus, so that I've been avoiding regrets.

Groceries for the week are at $155/$156 for the beginning of week 3.  

Here are my goals for the next 3 days:

12/17  DH is picking up dd2's favorite cereal.  Ordering flowers for Mom & Dad's grave site in honor of their wedding anniversary.

12/18  Stamps? or no-spend?  

12/19  I expect this to be a no-spend

Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 PM
PPK

I would love to join here! 

I will do my finances tomorrow to track what I've been spending this last week.  Its been such a whirlwind of Christmas shopping, I kind of don't want to look..

Will be trying to be more moderate with the Chrismas shopping for sure though.. 

Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome PPK!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

These next two weeks are the danger zone for me.

I have this habit of panicking right before christmas and thinking "I haven't bought enough" and rushing out and spending money on last-minute gifts.  I've caught myself about to do that a few times this weekend.

I have to keep repeating to myself "we have enough...we have enough..."

And even if we don't, there are plenty of toys and no one is going to notice.

I need to keep my money close to home these next two weeks and STAY OUT OF THE STORES!!!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM

I do the same last minute panic and buy extra stuff this close to Christmas.  I have been bombarded with some work projects to finish up this week so that should help keep me out of the stores. Congrats on paying off the second mortgage!!!

12.12.12  $33                 First day and I already spent some money Sheepish.gif : 2 recessed lighting light bulbs $14, sweat pants for son's costume in school play (though he will get other wear out of them) $6, b-day party gift $10 & 3 sports tshirts for Christmas presents $1 each  - $33 okay for a Target run this close to Christmas.  What worries me is there is suddenly a light on in my car

12.13.12 thumb.gif No spend today. Found out that the light in my car can be caused by the gas cap not being on tight enough and was told to give it a couple of days. Have my fingers crossed that that is all it is.

12.14.12 $17                 This included $5 for bus driver gift & $5 for teacher contribution. Also, after the terrible news from CT I was at a weak spot for indulging my kids.  My 9 year old was in the school play (101 Dalmations the Musical - sooo cute!) and after he and his friends made a case for going out for frozen yogurt.  We took all three kids and met several families there $7 that I REALLY enjoyed spending joy.gif

12.15.12 thumb.gif

12.16.12 I worked a full day yesterday. DH did a little grocery shopping, but he seems to have stuck to budgeted items.

12.17.12  thumb.gif

Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM

Key

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't go anywhere.  DH fixed a faulty outlet in the kitchen, then we put together our free bed frame.  This is how we need to spend our weekends, getting household projects done, NOT shopping.

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Bought the very last thing on the Christmas gift list (I've been watching zuliliy for it for weeks now), but it was budgeted.  There shouldn't be anymore spending happening today, hopefully raking and garden bed upkeep will get done instead.

4.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Budgeted spending today, but I feel angry.gif  DS2 has a virus that ended us up in the dr's office (rash & fever), had to get him an Rx for some steroid cream for his flaring eczema, stopped at the grocery store and grabbed some quick things for dinner (thankfully there's money in the food budget).

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home, stayed away from online shopping, got a gnome for DD3 knit, will be working on more crafting after the rugrats go to bed.

6.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home again, no spending.  Lots of crafting for the holidays happening.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  REALLY wanted to get fast food for dinner but DH and I decided he'd make a quick run to the store instead.  $$ for groceries is in the budget, fast food isn't (especially when it's almost $40 for our family at McDs).  Made cookies with the kids for a cookie exchange I'm going to tomorrow.

9.  irked.gif  knit.gif  3 sick kids dizzy.gif, $30 ordered pizza for dinner, totally unbudgeted.

10. thumb.gif  Budgeted spending, placed my seed order for 2013's growing season.  Rest of the day I carried around a sick toddler. so NO crafting was done.

11.  irked.gif  Unbudgeted spending.  DS2's allergist appointment involved skin testing, we bribed him with a toy from WM ($24).  No plan for dinner, DH stopped at the store and picked up our first try at wheat free pasta and sauce ($13).

13. thumb.gif  $35 at supermarket.  Tried our first gluten free bread, wasn't too bad.  It'll do great in a pinch for times I don't have time to bake.

15. irked.gif  Overspent on the grocery budget by about $50.  Still nursing sick kids and now I'm sick.  No crafting.

16. thumb.gif  Picked up our Christmas tree.  All of us are still sick greensad.gif

17. thumb.gif  Still sick, decorated the tree today.

13/20 No Spend Days

9/20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My progress so far = 10 days

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

16..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:

12/15 & 12/16  shrug.gif Groceries & Christmas shopping.  Not entirely sure how to process this one.  I think I did OK.  But I did still spend a whole lot of money, so I am not feeling all that celebratory.  Groceries for the week are at $155/$156 for the beginning of week 3.  

12/17  carrot.gifNo groceries.  Weather kept everybody home.  Flowers for Mom& Dad's grave for wedding anniversary.   Dad was big on bringing flowers here after Mom died.  Now that he's passed I send in flowers on this day.  Not feeling very celebratory today, either.  Just so much money flying out the door..... but I gave myself my Happy Veggie because I stuck to my goals.  Maybe that will cheer me up.

Her are my goals for the next 3 days:

12/18  Errand day.  Minor Christmas shopping.  Fill-in groceries.  Gymnastics tuition.  

12/19  I expect this to be a no-spend

12/20  Same

Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Today I decided I needed to get some paint pens to make a cute little sign for my classroom, so I went to Joann's.  The awesome guy working there gave me 50% off of all of them!  I only ended up spending $8 for 5 paint pens!  And look at the cute sign I made! :)

I also found out today that there's a group of my friends going out to celebrate my friend's birthday on Wednesday.  Sushi...yum!  That will probably be a little pricey, but it will be worth it.  I am back on my meal planning kick, too.  I had the whole month planned out, I'd just strayed a little bit in the last couple weeks.  The good thing is I did quite a bit of cooking yesterday, so meals are covered through tomorrow, plus I should have enough leftovers for lunches this week...yay!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

That is cute!!!! 

Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Cute sign Honeybee - enjoy your sushi!

Today looks like another no spend day thumb.gif Though the light in my car went off (as if it was a gas cap issue) but then came back on...

In good news, I have been getting lots of work projects (which is sort of difficult this time of year) but I am glad to be getting the cash.

SweetSilver - I have to tell you that our mortgage is over $2000.  We don't live in a fabulous house or anything either (I like it and it is comfortable) but it was built in the 80s and has the original kitchen counters/cabinets, bathrooms, roof & furnace.  We are in a great school district, but my husband also has a 1 hour train ride each way so we could move out here to less expensive real estate.  If we were to go to a good school district closer to the city, we could EASILY triple our mortgage.  

The cost of housing varies so much that it baffles me - we just have to find other places to save to make our budget work as nearly ALL of our income goes to housing.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM

Key

15. irked.gif  Overspent on the grocery budget by about $50.  Still nursing sick kids and now I'm sick.  No crafting.

16. thumb.gif  Picked up our Christmas tree.  All of us are still sick greensad.gif

17. thumb.gif  Still sick, decorated the tree today.

18. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Most of us are still sick, but I did get to work on some knitting.  I need to work a little faster as I only have a few days left dizzy.gif  At least ebing sick is keeping us home and not spending, silver lining and all, right? lol.gif

14/20 No Spend Days

10/20 Crafting Days

Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oh it's happening...the last minute run-out-and-get-stuff before Christmas spending.

But at least I'm seeing it for what it is and hopefully this will be the last impulse purchase.

My kids are getting a trip to Disney from relatives (both sets of grandparents are collaborating on this) so yesterday they wanted me to find some stuffed animals to put in the present under the tree.  then I started thinking I needed a new curtain to provide more privacy...and the next thing you know big sums of money have flown out of the bank account.

But I'm reeling it in today.  No more spending on anything but FOOD.

Quote:

My progress so far = 10 days

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

16..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  ~$100 French door curtain, stuffed mickey mice  (mouses?)

Old 12-19-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post

The cost of housing varies so much that it baffles me - we just have to find other places to save to make our budget work as nearly ALL of our income goes to housing.

Same story in Vermont.  Nothing like DC, but still...more than it would be in another state.  We live in a modest house...but our mortgage is HUGE.  The Northeast is just expensive.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm still around, I just don't have much to post because we're at that point that we won't be spending because we're out of money -_- . January will be better with no Christmas to do.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM

12/1 Waldorf Winter Faire.  Cost went up--spent $35 faint.gif.  Spent $8 on Christmas ornaments, so an itty-bitty oops.gif.  Still, I packed lunch as planned, and made no other stops.  So I deserve something, and this little Bouncy-Dude is just right. biggrinbounce.gif

12/2   jammin.gif No-spend day 

12/3   jammin.gif No spend day  Made that awesome, no-spend, handcrafted Christmas wreath you can see on post #29.

12/4  banana.gifGroceries $92  Stuck to the lists!!   I just didn't make the very best lists.  

12/5  banana.gifGroceries $34.  That's $126/ $156 for the week ending Friday.

12/6  banana.gif Online Christmas shopping.  I get a Dancing Banana today, but I don't know how I'm going to stick the Christmas budget dh and I agreed on.  

12/7  banana.gif Had about $30 in this week's food budget left to keep on target for the month, spent $29.34!!  Dinner at DQ tonight instead of tomorrow $16.

12/8   oops.gif  It had to happen sooner or later.  Groceries $89.  Hot chocolate stop $4.  Including last night's DQ $16, that puts us at $108 out of $156 for the week that just started!

12/9  dizzy.gifChristmas tree shopping.  Cost of trees doubled.  Ouch!

12/10  jammin.gif  No spend today.  Made a big ol' pot of soupy beans, smoky with bacon.  Mmmmm.  And cheap!

12/11   banana.gif carrot.gifErrand day/ Well-child appt./ Groceries  I am back in the groove!!  I packed lunches and snacks.  I deserved an extra Happy Veggie.

12/12  jammin.gif  Work day.  No spend.

12/13  banana.gif  carrot.gif  Another day deserving an armada of Dancing Veggies.  DH came home with the groceries, and we came in at $151/ 156 for the week!  Nearly midway through the month we are at $478/$800, which includes the Azure Standard order.  Made bread today.

12/14  jammin.gif No spend

12/15 & 12/16  shrug.gif Groceries & Christmas shopping.  Not entirely sure how to process this one.  I think I did OK.  But I did still spend a whole lot of money, so I am not feeling all that celebratory.  

12/17  carrot.gifNo groceries.    Flowers for Mom& Dad's grave for wedding anniversary.   

12/18  banana.gif  Minor Christmas purchases for dh, under $20, mostly stocking stuffers we needed to buy anyway.  Groceries and treats, $25.  $171/$156 for the week.  We went over-budget this weekend, but we appear to be keeping further grocery purchases down, and this feels like it will even carry into next week praying.gif  I could have given myself an "oops" for the treats, but it was minor, and another reminder to let dh do the shopping!

12/19  jammin.gif  No spend.  Staying home.

Here are my goals for the next 2 days:

12/20  Expect a no-spend
12/21  Getting cash from bank for presents for the teenagers.  Doc appt. in town

Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I'm still around, I just don't have much to post because we're at that point that we won't be spending because we're out of money -_- . January will be better with no Christmas to do.

grouphug.gif

Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My progress so far = 11 days

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

16..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $100 French door curtain, stuffed mickey mice  (mouses?)

19..  thumb.gif

25..  thumb.gif

Tags
Finances , Frugality
User Tag List