~December~ No-Spend Challenge -- Is your shopping finished? Time to come join us! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 184 Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a couple more days before our holiday guests arrive.  Today could be a no spender for me if I just keep myself busy with housework and the gym and playing with my kids.

I have to pick up our farm share today...but nothing to buy at the farm. 

#152 of 184 Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

, and another reminder to let dh do the shopping!

Oooh...I'm jealous!  I wish I could talk my husband into doing the shopping.  That would definitely save us money too!

#153 of 184 Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 AM

Well, I spent a lot yesterday.  I am a room mom and I didn't collect much for ds3's teacher so I threw in some extra...I also finished my Christmas shopping.  Even though I spent money - I am feeling good about the gifts I bought.  I also bought some groceries and stamps.  I haven't even added it all up dizzy.gif

Well today should be better.  I have a load of work to do which should keep me busy until the kiddos get home from school and we have an elementary school band & orchestra concert to entertain us tonight love.gif

Good job everybody - this is the hardest month to think about spending - I think everyone is doing a great job!!!

#154 of 184 Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

12/18  banana.gif  Minor Christmas purchases for dh, under $20, mostly stocking stuffers we needed to buy anyway.  Groceries and treats, $25.  $171/$156 for the week.  We went over-budget this weekend, but we appear to be keeping further grocery purchases down, and this feels like it will even carry into next week praying.gif  I could have given myself an "oops" for the treats, but it was minor, and another reminder to let dh do the shopping!

12/19  jammin.gif  No spend.  Staying home.

12/20  jammin.gif  No spend.

Here are my goals for the next 3 days:

12/21  Getting cash from bank for presents for the teenagers.  Doc appt. in town.  Grocery stop for a couple of things.
12/22  Expect a no-spend 
12/23  Same

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#155 of 184 Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post

I am a room mom and I didn't collect much for ds3's teacher so I threw in some extra...

stillheart.gif   clap.gif  Money well spent.

#156 of 184 Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

My four year old broke two...yes, TWO...snow globes at a store today.  I didn't learn my lesson after she broke the first one.  duh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

My goal for the month = 15 thumb.gif no-spend days 

My progress so far = 11 days

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  $20 eating out with my ballerina

15..  $7 hot cocoa + flowers for the ballerina

16..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $100 French door curtain, stuffed mickey mice  (mouses?)

19..  thumb.gif

20..  $23 Broken snow globes and breakfast

25..  thumb.gif

#157 of 184 Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

We're heading out to buy holiday groceries today...but if I can just get food and nothing out, I'll count that as a success.

#158 of 184 Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 AM

Okay, so, realizing that it's near the end of December.... I would still like to join in! 

My husband gets paid once a month so it's when we have the largest chunk of money come in to pay bills with so we run our months from the 25th-24th. Since that means we're getting ready to start January, it seemed like an appropriate time to chime in here with our goals for the next 12 months. :)

Who Am I?

I'm a WAHM to two boys - my oldest is 2 years old and the youngest is 2 months. My work-from-home job is awesome - I've got a super cool job at a really great company and being able to stay home to watch my boys is absolutely priceless. The flip side of that, though, is my job is actually sort of stressful and it sometimes does not help to try typing around a toddler. :)

Where Am I Going? 

As I mentioned above, it seemed like an appropriate time to look over our lives and choose some financial goals to work towards over the next year. I guess I'd think about it as intentional living--while we make enough money between the two of us to live comfortably, we take it for granted and don't really plan for things very well. I'd like to work towards using the next year to sorta "grow up" a little bit and start acting like parents. :)

Some of our financial goals include:

• planning a written budget for every month
  • STICKING to the planned budget. :)
  • pay off 4 debts in full (This shouldn't be very difficult, but will at least get our snowball rolling!)
  • fund our baby emergency fund
  • finish Financial Peace University (We made it a few lessons in and then life happened.)
  • balance checkbook every month
  • be fully committed to no more debt!

How Do We Get There?

Well, trying to make decisions intentionally means that we need to put a lot more thought/planning into what we do over the course of a month. We need to get familiar with the word "no" and both my husband and I need to find our weaknesses and try to find out exactly WHY we spend random, unbudgeted money. (One of my weaknesses, for example, is being up with our newborn alone in the middle of the night and finding myself on Amazon. Instead, I'd like to try to find another behavior to replace that habit with - perhaps a book light and a good book to keep me awake while I'm nursing him back to sleep.)

We're also very committed to sticking to our budget. We both agreed this past month that we're not very happy when we don't have a budget and we're not sure what's going on with our bank account. It's SO much easier on us all when we know what's happening with our money and we've talked about it beforehand.

Currently...

Our holiday shopping is done and I just got paid this morning. We've planned out all of our purchases from now until DH gets paid on the 24th. The only thing we should really be spending money on is food, which we've budgeted $200. It's a lot for just a few days but we've been largely eating out of the pantry/freezer over the last week and a half and need to stock up on some basics. We should have no-spend days outside of whenever we go grocery shopping which will either be today or tomorrow. :)

#159 of 184 Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM

12/18  banana.gif  Minor Christmas purchases for dh, under $20, mostly stocking stuffers we needed to buy anyway.  Groceries and treats, $25.  $171/$156 for the week.  We went over-budget this weekend, but we appear to be keeping further grocery purchases down, and this feels like it will even carry into next week praying.gif  I could have given myself an "oops" for the treats, but it was minor, and another reminder to let dh do the shopping!

12/21   shrug.gif $76 groceries.  That leaves $56 left for 10 days to make $800 for the month.  I don't think there will be any big days, but I thought this day would be less, too.  So, I'm not that optimistic.  

12/22  Expect a no-spend 
12/23  Same
12/24  Last Christmas gifts.  Some groceries for trip to ILs.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#160 of 184 Old 12-22-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome aboard willfulmama!

SweetSilver -- $56 for 10 days doesn't seem like enough....EXCEPT that you might already have a houseful of groceries since you bought today.  Do you have enough in your pantry to hold you over?  Can you look at this as a challenge to use up foods that you already have?  If you can, great!  But if you can't...don't beat yourself up over that.  Very few families could eat on $56 for 10 days.

#161 of 184 Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

I spent TONS of money at the grocery store today...but most of it was for food, so I'm okay with that.  We are big eaters.

However, I took a detour by the beer case and spent money on alcohol for the holiday.  I'm okay with that too.  We are drinkers.

BUT...I can't really call that "necessary" spending.  So I'm not giving myself a thumb-guy thumb.gif for today.

Quote:

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  $20 eating out with my ballerina

15..  $7 hot cocoa + flowers for the ballerina

16..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $100 French door curtain, stuffed mickey mice  (mouses?)

19..  thumb.gif

21..  $35  Alcohol

25..  thumb.gif

#162 of 184 Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
SweetSilver -- $56 for 10 days doesn't seem like enough....EXCEPT that you might already have a houseful of groceries since you bought today.  Do you have enough in your pantry to hold you over?  Can you look at this as a challenge to use up foods that you already have?  If you can, great!  But if you can't...don't beat yourself up over that.  Very few families could eat on $56 for 10 days.

We do have a full fridge and pantry (though I don't keep it that full because stuff goes to waste).  I seriously doubt we are actually going to come in under $800, but it is a challenge, isn't it?

I'll give it an honest try, but no big deal if we don't make it.  Last month was closer to $850 as well.  Just trying to keep it under a certain amount is helping to keep it steady and down below what it used to be.  Next month, though, I will be keeping track of a few categories of foods (snacks, meats) that tend to be expensive to see if anything stands out.  It could be that this is simply where we are at, though I would be thrilled if we could get this lower.

ETA:  We have no grocery purchases until 12/24 when we buy some extras for the girls for Xmas eve dinner at the ILs.  

#163 of 184 Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 PM

12/18  banana.gif  Minor Christmas purchases.  Groceries and treats, $25.  I could have given myself an "oops" for the treats, but it was minor, and another reminder to let dh do the shopping!

12/21   shrug.gif $76 groceries.  That leaves $56 left for 10 days to make $800 for the month.  I don't think there will be any big days, but I thought this day would be less, too.  So, I'm not that optimistic.  

12/22  jammin.gifNo-spend.  

12/23  No spend, or maybe AA batteries and Pez for stockings.
12/24  Last Christmas gifts.  Some groceries for trip to ILs.  
12/25  No spend.  

#164 of 184 Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  $20 more eating out 

15..  $7 hot cocoa + flowers

16..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $100 Christmas stuff

19..  thumb.gif

21..  $35  Alcohol for party

22..  thumb.gif

25..  thumb.gif

#165 of 184 Old 12-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Oy have I missed quite a few days.  Thankfully I have only spent money on groceries or meds and I've been crafting as much as I can.

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Un-budgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutes

1.  irked.gifknit.gif Unbudgeted lunch out, budgeted grocery shopping.

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't go anywhere.  DH fixed a faulty outlet in the kitchen, then we put together our free bed frame.  This is how we need to spend our weekends, getting household projects done, NOT shopping.

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Bought the very last thing on the Christmas gift list (I've been watching zuliliy for it for weeks now), but it was budgeted.  There shouldn't be anymore spending happening today, hopefully raking and garden bed upkeep will get done instead.

4.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Budgeted spending today, but I feel angry.gif  DS2 has a virus that ended us up in the dr's office (rash & fever), had to get him an Rx for some steroid cream for his flaring eczema, stopped at the grocery store and grabbed some quick things for dinner (thankfully there's money in the food budget).

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home, stayed away from online shopping, got a gnome for DD3 knit, will be working on more crafting after the rugrats go to bed.

6.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home again, no spending.  Lots of crafting for the holidays happening.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  REALLY wanted to get fast food for dinner but DH and I decided he'd make a quick run to the store instead.  $$ for groceries is in the budget, fast food isn't (especially when it's almost $40 for our family at McDs).  Made cookies with the kids for a cookie exchange I'm going to tomorrow.

8.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Cookie exchange and holiday crafting.  No spending.

9.  irked.gif  knit.gif  3 sick kids dizzy.gif, $30 ordered pizza for dinner, totally unbudgeted.

10. thumb.gif  Budgeted spending, placed my seed order for 2013's growing season.  Rest of the day I carried around a sick toddler. so NO crafting was done.

11.  irked.gif  Unbudgeted spending.  DS2's allergist appointment involved skin testing, we bribed him with a toy from WM ($24).  No plan for dinner, DH stopped at the store and picked up our first try at wheat free pasta and sauce ($13).

12. thumb.gif  No crafting today, 8yo DS1, 4yo DD2, and DH all are sick.

13. thumb.gif  $35 at supermarket.  Tried our first gluten free bread, wasn't too bad.  It'll do great in a pinch for times I don't have time to bake.

14. thumb.gif  Dr copay, DH had a consult for some "minor surgery".

15. irked.gif  Overspent on the grocery budget by about $50.  Still nursing sick kids and now I'm sick.  No crafting.

16. thumb.gif  Picked up our Christmas tree.  All of us are still sick greensad.gif

17. thumb.gif  Still sick, decorated the tree today.

18. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Most of us are still sick, but I did get to work on some knitting.  I need to work a little faster as I only have a few days left dizzy.gif  At least ebing sick is keeping us home and not spending, silver lining and all, right? lol.gif

19. thumb.gif  knit.gif

20. thumb.gif  knit.gif

21. thumb.gif  knit.gif DH's "minor surgery".  Pain meds were bought.

22. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Spent $26 at grocery store for cereal, gluten free alternative flours, and some soy-free chocolate chips.  I NEVER knew our little grocery store around the corner had such a large selection of GF flours!!  Their selection's even bigger than the larger chain store we usually shop at!!

17/20 No Spend Days

14/20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#166 of 184 Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM

12/18  banana.gif  Minor Christmas purchases.  Groceries and treats, $25.  I could have given myself an "oops" for the treats, but it was minor, and another reminder to let dh do the shopping!

12/23  jammin.gifNo spend

#167 of 184 Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM

Key

2.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't go anywhere.  DH fixed a faulty outlet in the kitchen, then we put together our free bed frame.  This is how we need to spend our weekends, getting household projects done, NOT shopping.

3.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Bought the very last thing on the Christmas gift list (I've been watching zuliliy for it for weeks now), but it was budgeted.  There shouldn't be anymore spending happening today, hopefully raking and garden bed upkeep will get done instead.

4.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Budgeted spending today, but I feel angry.gif  DS2 has a virus that ended us up in the dr's office (rash & fever), had to get him an Rx for some steroid cream for his flaring eczema, stopped at the grocery store and grabbed some quick things for dinner (thankfully there's money in the food budget).

5.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home, stayed away from online shopping, got a gnome for DD3 knit, will be working on more crafting after the rugrats go to bed.

6.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Stayed home again, no spending.  Lots of crafting for the holidays happening.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  REALLY wanted to get fast food for dinner but DH and I decided he'd make a quick run to the store instead.  $$ for groceries is in the budget, fast food isn't (especially when it's almost $40 for our family at McDs).  Made cookies with the kids for a cookie exchange I'm going to tomorrow.

9.  irked.gif  knit.gif  3 sick kids dizzy.gif, $30 ordered pizza for dinner, totally unbudgeted.

10. thumb.gif  Budgeted spending, placed my seed order for 2013's growing season.  Rest of the day I carried around a sick toddler. so NO crafting was done.

11.  irked.gif  Unbudgeted spending.  DS2's allergist appointment involved skin testing, we bribed him with a toy from WM ($24).  No plan for dinner, DH stopped at the store and picked up our first try at wheat free pasta and sauce ($13).

13. thumb.gif  $35 at supermarket.  Tried our first gluten free bread, wasn't too bad.  It'll do great in a pinch for times I don't have time to bake.

15. irked.gif  Overspent on the grocery budget by about $50.  Still nursing sick kids and now I'm sick.  No crafting.

16. thumb.gif  Picked up our Christmas tree.  All of us are still sick greensad.gif

18. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Most of us are still sick, but I did get to work on some knitting.  I need to work a little faster as I only have a few days left dizzy.gif  At least ebing sick is keeping us home and not spending, silver lining and all, right? lol.gif

19. thumb.gif  knit.gif

20. thumb.gif  knit.gif

22. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Spent $26 at grocery store for cereal, gluten free alternative flours, and some soy-free chocolate chips.  I NEVER knew our little grocery store around the corner had such a large selection of GF flours!!  Their selection's even bigger than the larger chain store we usually shop at!!

23. irked.gif  knit.gif  $70 spent at Whole Foods (some of which wasn't needed, which is why I'm not giving myself the No Spend).

17/20 No Spend Days

15/20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#168 of 184 Old 12-25-2012, 07:36 PM

12/24  shrug.gif  Last minute Christmas shopping.  A handful of groceries for our whirlwind trip to Seattle and back for dinner and festivities with dh's family.  I think I did well this Christmas.  I even passed up some pretty but not perfect ornaments that I would have allowed myself this season.  But the food, the food....  with some creative and generous accounting tricks I *could* add $27 to my monthly total, bringing it to $776, but the ridiculousness of this number shuffle became quite absurd today, not counting 2 tubs of dip for Christmas Eve dinner that I didn't count for the monthly bill, but I brought the leftovers home, for example.  That was just one of the shuffles to get the total that most clearly reflected the money we spend to *feed* the four of us, and not counting celebrations with family, but today seemed to strain the validity of this entire "system".  

Sigh!  Whatever!  

12/25  jammin.gif   No spend.  This is kind of cheating, because nothing is open, practically, but I'm taking it anyway!  HA!

12.26  jammin.gif  An early reward for tomorrow.  We are stayin' home!

BTW, we arrived home at 12:30 last night!  DD2 finally fell asleep just before midnight, dd1 stayed awake until 1:30, then woke us up starting at 5:30.  I think I got about 3 hours of sleep, and not 3 hours all in a row, either.  I am wiped out.  But we did get some Christmas snow this morning, which melted off in time to drive to my sister's house an hour away for another Christmas.  Sweet!  I can't believe I'm still on here.  Sayonara!

#169 of 184 Old 12-26-2012, 12:17 AM

I want to join!

a. Who you are: I'm mama to 2 DC, 7 yo DD, and 3 yo DS, as well as pregnant with our third child. We are a family of 4, soon to be 5. DF works full-time, I was working up until a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping to find a little part-time work for now, and get my CNA with our tax check, and go back part-time after the baby is born.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): I want us to be debt-free, and get at least a decent amount of money in savings. I'm hoping we can open at least one savings account, if not in the next few weeks, at least when we get our tax check.

c. How you plan to get there: I'm going to try and stop spending so much money on things that we don't *need.* Stop eating out (at least as much as we have been), make more food from scratch. Re-use things as much as we can. Make one or two shopping trips a month or pay-period, rather than going every day/every other day. Find cheaper/free entertainment.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#170 of 184 Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Key

19. thumb.gif  knit.gif

20. thumb.gif  knit.gif

23. irked.gif  knit.gif  $70 spent at Whole Foods (some of which wasn't needed, which is why I'm not giving myself the No Spend).

24. thumb.gif  knit.gif Christmas Eve at my parents'.  Finished up DD3's felted gnomes when we got home at 12:30 at night.

25. thumb.gif  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

19/20 No Spend Days

16/20 Crafting Days

#171 of 184 Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM

12/24  shrug.gif  Last minute Christmas shopping.  A handful of groceries for our whirlwind trip to Seattle and back for dinner and festivities with dh's family. 

12/25  jammin.gif   No spend.  This is kind of cheating, because nothing is open, practically, but I'm taking it anyway!  HA!

12/26  jammin.gif  Stayed home.  No spend.

12/27  shrug.gif  Spent well today, but this month is feeling a bit overwhelming, as expected, I guess.  Well over my goal for food in December, but I was very frugal today.  Never mind what I spent, it doesn't matter any more.  Bought photo albums, a planned purchase if they were on sale (they were).  Bought gas.  Oh, brother, are we burning up the gas this month!

Today I started giving the girls control over an allotted amount of money to spend for snacks and treats.  Every week, they each get one envelope with $5 for treats, another with $5 for snacks.  They can use the treat allowance for snacks, but not vice versa.  This will give them a certain amount of freedom to decide what they want to buy (I did put my foot down on the family-size bag of potato chips, and I looked for a single serving.  We do not keep potato chips around because we eat them until our bellies protest.)  They chose a couple of treats for the week from Trader Joe's, and a french fry trip to Dairy Queen.  The money leftover from the week goes into the "FUN fund" jar for extra swim trips, movie tickets, Children's museum visits, etc.  

We'll see if it works.  I hope it works.  It has already helped them to look at prices, decide how much of what to last the week, and hopefully it will soon teach them in a very direct way that money not spent on expensive extras makes more room for fun activities.  And because they paid for them, DH and I must keep our hands out of the goodie bags.  Theoretically.  orngtongue.gif

#172 of 184 Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM

12/26- thumb.gif Didn't spend *any* (There was an "emergency only" travel warning, and car was blocked in garage by 3 foot snow drifts, so not too hard.)

12/27- Not so good. I bought some groceries, a lot of marked down/discount food. We didn't make a budget for this month, so I don't feel terrible, but... still spending money. redface.gif

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#173 of 184 Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 AM

Key

19. thumb.gif  knit.gif

20. thumb.gif  knit.gif

24. thumb.gif  knit.gif Christmas Eve at my parents'.  Finished up DD3's felted gnomes when we got home at 12:30 at night.

26. irked.gif  $70 spent at grocery store, $40 at Five Guys for burgers and fries.

27. thumb.gif

21/20 No Spend Days   joy.gif Goal Made!!!

16/20 Crafting Days

#174 of 184 Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM

12/1 Waldorf Winter Faire.  Cost went up--spent $35 faint.gif.  Spent $8 on Christmas ornaments, so an itty-bitty oops.gif.  Still, I packed lunch as planned, and made no other stops.  So I deserve something, and this little Bouncy-Dude is just right. biggrinbounce.gif

12/2   jammin.gif No-spend day 

12/3   jammin.gif No spend day  Made that awesome, no-spend, handcrafted Christmas wreath you can see on post #29.

12/4  banana.gifGroceries $92  Stuck to the lists!!   I just didn't make the very best lists.  

12/5  banana.gifGroceries $34.  That's $126/ $156 for the week ending Friday.

12/6  banana.gif Online Christmas shopping.  I get a Dancing Banana today, but I don't know how I'm going to stick the Christmas budget dh and I agreed on.  

12/7  banana.gif Had about $30 in this week's food budget left to keep on target for the month, spent $29.34!!  Dinner at DQ tonight instead of tomorrow $16.

12/8   oops.gif  It had to happen sooner or later.  Groceries $89.  Hot chocolate stop $4.  Including last night's DQ $16, that puts us at $108 out of $156 for the week that just started!

12/9  dizzy.gifChristmas tree shopping.  Cost of trees doubled.  Ouch!

12/10  jammin.gif  No spend today.  Made a big ol' pot of soupy beans, smoky with bacon.  Mmmmm.  And cheap!

12/11   banana.gif carrot.gifErrand day/ Well-child appt./ Groceries  I am back in the groove!!  I packed lunches and snacks.  I deserved an extra Happy Veggie.

12/12  jammin.gif  Work day.  No spend.

12/13  banana.gif  carrot.gif  Another day deserving an armada of Dancing Veggies.  DH came home with the groceries, and we came in at $151/ 156 for the week!  Nearly midway through the month we are at $478/$800, which includes the Azure Standard order.  Made bread today.

12/14  jammin.gif No spend

12/15 & 12/16  shrug.gif Groceries & Christmas shopping.  Not entirely sure how to process this one.  I think I did OK.  But I did still spend a whole lot of money, so I am not feeling all that celebratory.  

12/17  carrot.gifNo groceries.    Flowers for Mom& Dad's grave for wedding anniversary.   

12/24  shrug.gif  Last minute Christmas shopping.  A handful of groceries for our whirlwind trip to Seattle and back for dinner and festivities with dh's family. 

12/27  shrug.gif  Spent well today, but this month is feeling a bit overwhelming. Well over my goal for food in December, but I was very frugal today.  

12/28  jammin.gif  No spend.  Stayed home.  That's because DH has no work until next Wednesday.  The "down season" has truly begun.  It feels like a vacation at first, so for now, it's nice.

12/29  An early entry since we will be gone from before 7am until well after 9pm.  DH and I are seeing The Hobbit at the Cinerama (I asked for a Cinerama gift card for Christmas, and we don't buy snacks, so except for the drive we are spending nothing :)  The girls are visiting with Grandma and Aunt and we will take them after our morning movie to the zoo and the Zoo Lights.  The zoo is about 1.5 hours towards Seattle from our house, so we will be saving some gas.  We are seriously using up way too much gas this month!  Dinner will be at the zoo cafe.  I would try being extra frugal and packing dinner, too, at least for dh and I, but the their salmon burger with lemon mayonnaise (served with sweet potato fries) is simply too fabulous to pass up.  FIREdevil.gif  That's my "devil-may-care" dude.

#175 of 184 Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM

12/26- thumb.gif Didn't spend *any* (There was an "emergency only" travel warning, and car was blocked in garage by 3 foot snow drifts, so not too hard.)

12/27- Not so good. I bought some groceries, a lot of marked down/discount food. We didn't make a budget for this month, so I don't feel terrible, but... still spending money. redface.gif

12/28- Another not good day. DF had an urgent care/emergency dentist appointment, so had to get medication for that (not budgeted), as well as some food that he could eat, and we bought lunch out.

#176 of 184 Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 AM

12/1 Waldorf Winter Faire.  Cost went up--spent $35 faint.gif.  Spent $8 on Christmas ornaments, so an itty-bitty oops.gif.  Still, I packed lunch as planned, and made no other stops.  So I deserve something, and this little Bouncy-Dude is just right. biggrinbounce.gif

12/2   jammin.gif No-spend day 

12/3   jammin.gif No spend day  Made that awesome, no-spend, handcrafted Christmas wreath you can see on post #29.

12/4  banana.gifGroceries $92  Stuck to the lists!!   I just didn't make the very best lists.  

12/5  banana.gifGroceries $34.  That's $126/ $156 for the week ending Friday.

12/6  banana.gif Online Christmas shopping.  I get a Dancing Banana today, but I don't know how I'm going to stick the Christmas budget dh and I agreed on.  

12/7  banana.gif Had about $30 in this week's food budget left to keep on target for the month, spent $29.34!!  Dinner at DQ tonight instead of tomorrow $16.

12/8   oops.gif  It had to happen sooner or later.  Groceries $89.  Hot chocolate stop $4.  Including last night's DQ $16, that puts us at $108 out of $156 for the week that just started!

12/9  dizzy.gifChristmas tree shopping.  Cost of trees doubled.  Ouch!

12/10  jammin.gif  No spend today.  Made a big ol' pot of soupy beans, smoky with bacon.  Mmmmm.  And cheap!

12/11   banana.gif carrot.gifErrand day/ Well-child appt./ Groceries  I am back in the groove!!  I packed lunches and snacks.  I deserved an extra Happy Veggie.

12/12  jammin.gif  Work day.  No spend.

12/13  banana.gif  carrot.gif  Another day deserving an armada of Dancing Veggies.  DH came home with the groceries, and we came in at $151/ 156 for the week!  Nearly midway through the month we are at $478/$800, which includes the Azure Standard order.  Made bread today.

12/14  jammin.gif No spend

12/15 & 12/16  shrug.gif Groceries & Christmas shopping.  Not entirely sure how to process this one.  I think I did OK.  But I did still spend a whole lot of money, so I am not feeling all that celebratory.  

12/17  carrot.gifNo groceries.    Flowers for Mom& Dad's grave for wedding anniversary.   

12/27  shrug.gif  Spent well today, but this month is feeling a bit overwhelming. Well over my goal for food in December, but I was very frugal today.  

12/28  jammin.gif  No spend.  Stayed home.  That's because DH has no work until next Wednesday.  The "down season" has truly begun.  It feels like a vacation at first, so for now, it's nice.

*************************************************************************************************

12/29  surrender.gifCan December be over yet?  I see everyone is posting already in the January thread, this month is that bad!  Man, ZooLights is such a racket!  $34????  And parking downtown to see the Hobbit at my favorite movie theater is at $10 for 4 hours.  Throw in a couple of donuts and a newspaper because I got there way too early.  Good snacks for the girls, and a final stop at Dairy Queen.  I hate DQ's sandwiches, but the girls love their fries.  I wasn't even that hungry.

Unfortunately for me, January is not going to be great, either.

12/30 jammin.gif  Staying home.  No spend.

12/31 jammin.gif  Staying home.  No spend.

faint.gifWell, that month is done.  Managed 14 No spend days even though I was just trying for frugal spending.  Grocery goal was $800, but I did manage to squeak by under $900.  

So SAYONARA DECEMBER!!  I will not miss you one bit. 

#177 of 184 Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 AM

blowkiss.gifSee you ladies in January!

#178 of 184 Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Ugh, we're slipping these last few days, but I'm staying accountable and posting it here.

Key

19. thumb.gif  knit.gif

20. thumb.gif  knit.gif

26. irked.gif  $70 spent at grocery store, $40 at Five Guys for burgers and fries.

27. thumb.gif

28. thumb.gif

29. irked.gif  Overspent by about $100 at Home Depot for shelving for the kids' rooms.  $56 spent at WalMart.

30. irked.gif  Had a raging migraine last night so I didn't get our gluten-free bread made that we needed for lunch.  DH is out at the store right now buying some.  I'm sure this "quick" grocery trip is going to run us another $70.

21/20 No Spend Days   joy.gif Goal Made!!!

16/20 Crafting Days

#179 of 184 Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM

12/28- Another not good day. DF had an urgent care/emergency dentist appointment, so had to get medication for that (not budgeted), as well as some food that he could eat, and we bought lunch out.

12/29- Stayed home most of the day. Spent $9 on groceries. So not terrible bad, but still spending.

12/30- Staying home, cleaning, no spend day! thumb.gif

#180 of 184 Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

The actual holiday week has been a nice relief for my budget...since we did a bunch of outdoorsy stuff with family that was already paid for.  And there was no shopping or buying.

Quote:

My progress so far = 18 days  joy.gif

01..  $166 ski stuff

02..  thumb.gif

03..  $8.50 bagels

04..  thumb.gif

05..  thumb.gif

06..  $215 Christmas

07..  thumb.gif

08..  $35 eating out

09..  thumb.gif

10..  $50 more Christmas

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  $20 more eating out 

15..  $7 hot cocoa + flowers

16..  thumb.gif

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $100 Christmas stuff

19..  thumb.gif

21..  $35  Alcohol for party

22..  thumb.gif

23..  $35 ski

24..  thumb.gif  (spent tons on groceries, but it was budgeted)

25..  thumb.gif

26..  thumb.gif sledding = free

27..  thumb.gif huge snowstorm = shovelling = free

28..  thumb.gif

29..  thumb.gif

30..  $15 skiing

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page