Niche Job Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I are trying to come up with a 2 year plan to drastically reduce our expenses. He would like to change jobs. Right now he has a very physically demanding job. We would love for him to be able to cut back to 4 days/week instead of 5 or 6 days/week that he currently works. We are both hard-workers and have a variety of skills relating to construction, welding, DIY, etc. Ideally, we would like to do something together so that the entire family could spend more time together. If that is not possible, DH is more than willing to work at something himself. If we could bring in about $2200/month, that would be good. We are open for any and all suggestions that would realistically provide a fairly stable income. Every idea that we have had so far is good as a supplemental income-not for a sole income. We wouldn't object to doing more than one thing, but we don't want to always feel "strapped". We currently live frugally and know how to make a dollar stretch. We want to work smarter, not harder. I feel that everyone here at Mothering are a resourceful bunch and would have some good ideas. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

#2 of 13 Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Multiple sources of income would be more secure than a single source, actually--you just need enough of them going at once.  Maybe he could gradually cut back on working days as he phases in various other sources of income?

We could use a welder to come to our house and fix the railing on our front steps!

With so many skills, teaching them to others could be another source of income.

There are an awful lot of bland, blah, cookie-cutter houses around--a huge disconnect between what people envision as a home-ly house and what the builders actually built.  If you could use your skills to creatively and frugally bring some life into houses like that, you'd be making the world a much better place.  (Bringing multiple skills and family workers together to provide a unique and needed service.)

It's the "dirty, difficult, and dangerous" jobs that pay the most.

#3 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM

I actually really agree with Vaske about the home makeover thing.  You could do some specialty service of bringing every day to upscale.  I know for example, one tip I've seen make a huge difference in making a home look "upscale" is painting interior doors black, or adding baseboards and crown molding.  You could check out Pinterest for ideas that you could put into "packages" to sell people.  You could also market this service around tax time and encourage people to use their refunds for it.  For us, that's the time of year we are able to do bigger "luxury" things.

One of the things I do on the side (that makes pretty decent money) is dyeing wool roving for spinners.  There is some start up cost but it really is worth it, especially if you start selling wholesale to yarn/fiber shops in bulk.

#4 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, ladies! Thank you for some good ideas. They are all within our reach, I just don't know where to start. I am totally unfamiliar with dyeing yarn. I don't even know of any shops in our area. Is it easy to learn? Sounds like something I would enjoy.
#5 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Also, my dad has done some welding for friends repairing/attaching things to boat trailers and the like.  Your husband could just spread the word around that he is willing to do little welding jobs, and see what comes up.

For the home makeover thing, there is really a wide scale to choose from:  small freestanding things like garden furniture and custom lampposts to making over a whole house.  I'd start small and see what sells profitably, and especially take notice of what people start asking for.  Small businesses need a lot of flexibility starting out, because often no one knows yet what the market really wants. 

#6 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Do you live near a school?  (Elementary or middle school).  You could do before- and after-school care to bring in a little money.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM

My Dp and I are wanting to do the same thing. There is a blog/group I found about it called Mr. Money Moustache, if you google it I'm sure you can find it. Tons of helpful information over there.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#8 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM

My dh does a lot of car repair on the side for friends, family and coworkers. He does everything from oil changes to putting in new motors. When he's in the mood and actively looking for jobs he can easily make $1000 a month.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#9 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

I am loving all of the input! Thank you so much.
#10 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM

I've made my part of our family's income during the last couple of years working as a Virtual Assistant. I give businesses and organizations administrative support from home, and I am able to do it (mostly) on my own schedule. If you google "Virtual Assistant", you can find more information, but it's been a solution to a big problem for our family for a long time. Good luck, mama!

Warmly,

Shantana

#11 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Are you familiar with the "Unjobbing" Group here on MDC? Many families have cobbled together unique and creative income sources, outside or beyond the regular job market.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#12 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

Are you familiar with the "Unjobbing" Group here on MDC? Many families have cobbled together unique and creative income sources, outside or beyond the regular job market.

I am not familiar with the "unjobbing" group. Sounds interesting. Where can I find it?

Many thanks!
#13 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

If you go to the top navigation bar its under groups.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page