Getting out of Debt in December! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Great work Sharlla! I love being on the budget plan for my electric and natural gas - helps me to deal with my salaried paycheck that doesn't change from month to month.

Yesterday was my Dave Ramsey anniversary! My DH and I have been budgeting and saving and paying off debts the Dave Ramsey way since Dec. 20, 2011.  It feels good to have paid off over $8000 in debts over this year and saved over $2000 so that means we are ahead over $10,000 over where we were last year. Today reminded me how important having an emergency fund is. My DH's car kept making a nasty noise when it was started - some belt was worn and needed to be replaced - and it also made a nasty noise when we applied the breaks - cost us about $350 today to get it fixed. There goes my health insurance premium rebate to refill the whole in our basic emergency fund. It felt great to pay with cash, not a credit card.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#62 of 85 Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

lilac that's wonderful news. Happy one year on the road to debt freedom!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#63 of 85 Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Man, I wrote "Aug 2009" on our envelope holder when we started.....kind of depressing to consider we've been at this for 3.5 years.

Mind you, we've done a lot on cash in the mean time: payed off debt, payed for school and cross-country moves, down-payment on a house, mostly on one salary. BS3 is taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r.!!!

If we both start bringing in an income without tuition or moves or more babies, we won't know what to do with ourselves!!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#64 of 85 Old 12-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Knowing all the challenges you have had and the fact you are still committed to your path to financial freedom 3.5 years later is encouraging to me who is only one year into the financial freedom plan.  My DH and I are working so hard to get debt paid off so I can stay home when we have kids.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#65 of 85 Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 PM

I'm glad we have put paying off debt aside to get into a home while they are sort of still affordable here. Otherwise we may never get into a home. I have to admit though, it is a bit scary going into a mortgage with a considerable amount of debt. ........................Now if I could just get someone to accept my offer and sell me their friggin house already!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#66 of 85 Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 AM

How did everyone do over Christmas? We did Christmas on cash then received $$ from parents and grandparents so our account actually grew instead of shrank this holiday season (yay!!).

I still feel like BS3 is a huge aimless mess. DH and I hammered out a list if priorities and just as it looked like it all worked splendidly we'd remember some other down-the-road expense and we're right back to being short... moving forward, but not at rate we'd like to be.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#67 of 85 Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eirual I totally get what you're saying about BS3 feeling aimless. We've been working on it for almost 2 years and at this rate I don't know when we'll finish. We were going to pay of DH's student loans right when I graduate (and have to start paying mine), but now we're going to put $100 of the snowball away every month to finish up my schooling without loans, so I'm not sure when we'll finish. Of course this is all with wanting to have another child (which means $2400 to the midwife) and my not working directly after I graduate (don't want to start working until all the kids are in school full time). I should probably recalculate our snowball end date, but I don't want to get sad. :-/

As for Christmas, it was a good one. I made almost all of our gifts and DH's parents know that we prefer cash, so they gave us $260 total. $100 going to music classes for the girls and $100 going to DD1's preschool tuition helps our budget quite a bit over the next few months. Trying to decide if the extra $60 should go to a basketball game date for my husband and I or something more frugal like debts/savings. :-P Dollhouse I made DD1 was a hit and I think it ended up costing a total of $35-50. My parents gave us quite a few useful things too. I almost feel guilty that we didn't spend much money on people, but I keep telling myself that hours are worth more than dollars. The blanket I made my MIL took SO MUCH TIME and it's beautiful. Need to remind myself that money does not equal love. Here's the blanket:

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#68 of 85 Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Love the blanket, lactating girl; your MIL must have loved it too. The best gifts are the ones that come from the heart.
We made it through Christmas with cash in the bank (never happened before - amazing!) and being on track to keep paying our bills. I more than doubled my weekly income this week by filling in 2 extra nights at work (I waitress) which helps because I am taking time off to have my wisdom teeth out in January and am currently sick with probably whatever virus people around me had all week. Fingers crossed that taking it easy today and tomorrow will make me well enough to work my 3 shifts this weekend!
Hope you all had nice holidays and are on track to start the new year on the right foot!
#69 of 85 Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM

I can see where having 3 to 6 months expenses in savings can be so aimless especially when you have learned how to live on a budget and no longer have any consumer debt. I am looking forward to getting to that point though! Knowing that someone else has attained step 0, 1, and 2 and has moved onto 3 is inspiring.

Christmas was great however, DH opened a new credit card!  "I got 30 % off our first purchase."  I will be paying off that ASAP.  Got the bill today.  Definitely need to rediscuss "no new debt".  Yeah, we can pay it off, but that isn't the point. We are trying to get rid of debts, not make new ones.

#70 of 85 Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 AM

Encouraging "get out of debt" story

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2012/12/27/getting-rich-slowly-on-my-own-terms/

#71 of 85 Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM

I once got a store card for the discount. It turned out alright but if you're not careful you could end up with ridiculous interest rates and fees. Not worth it. ... that was per-DR.

I'm glad to see everyone stayed on track more or less! I can't fathom paying off forgotten-about stuff come April.

We ended up putting together a slideshow to give to families. My parents and grandparents especially liked it. Christmas Eve I went and raided photo albums and took pictures of pictures (which turned out surprisingly well). Overall the extended family kept things pretty simple, which was super nice. I dumped 2 bags o' stuff to the thrift store this morning too. Feels freeing!

#72 of 85 Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM

I hit a pot hole yesterday that blew up my brand new tire, dented my rim, and threw out my suspension. Good news is my insurance is paying for the rental car while my car is in the shop, and my $500 deductible will be paid with cash from the emergency fund............no credit cards. 

Oh and still no house. I think I got about 5 more offers rejected since I last updated.

#73 of 85 Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM

eirual, sounds like it was a great Christmas present! That sounds like a great gift.

trekkingirl, sorry to hear that you hit a pothole. Thankfully you can get everything taken care of.

AFM, makes me sick to my stomach as I contemplate IVF - I called to make an appointment today to figure out when and how to do the procedures and in order to make an appointment I have to pay a "case management fee" of $1007. We have it in savings but it just sucks to hand over such a huge chunk of change at one time.

#74 of 85 Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

trekkingirl, that is exciting news!  Had you looked at the house before you put an offer in on it? I hope things work our for you.  A new house for Christmas sounds like a great gift, even if there is some fixer upper things to do.

eirual, good for sticking to your guns!

AFM, so now for my amazing turn of events.  I work for a Christian school as a teacher.  On Monday night I was talking with my superintendent and principal about some school related issues. My principal is a man and just moved here this year. The superintendent has known me from my college days when she was a professor at my college. The principal stepped out and I shared very quickly with the superintendent that my DH and I were going to have to go through IVF in order to get pregnant and that it was influencing my decision whether to continue employment at my school next year.  My principal came back in and I let the conversation end quickly. We finished our conversation with the three of us and then we departed.  My superintendent asked to speak with my privately in my classroom. She asked if finances were influencing our IVF journey. I said they were and that we had a 1/3 of the money saved for the procedure. She told me that from time to time there are some individuals that donate to special causes in our school system and she asked my permission to ask for the remaining money that my DH and I needed to go through with our IVF. I told her that was okay.

On Thursday night, she called me and said that she had asked the finance committee and that they approved giving me two bonus pay checks one in December and one in January or February to cover what out of pocket expenses my DH and I will have for IVF.  I was in tears of happiness.  DH and I are going to make an appointment to figure out exactly when we will go through with the procedures - either March or June - and exactly what time commitments we are talking about - when I have to go in to get ultrasounds done as follicles grow, then egg retrieval, fertilization, and then egg transfer. Now we can concentrate our money on paying off some more debts so I can stay home with our kids for a few years when they are little. I have to say it is the best Christmas present I could have gotten that wasn't a BFP.

I just have to remember - don't give up, stay positive, keep the faith that the best is yet to come! I am so glad that last year my DH and I started Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and made so many changes to our finances. We are in such better places than we were a year ago. Next week Thursday will be our one year anniversary of following a cash flow plan and getting our finances in order. It feels so good to see a light at the end of the tunnel that means financial freedom.

that is the best present that could happen pre-baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemomma View Post

Sarah, meandk0610 - I think I read that you recently bought  your home? Have you had an energy audit on it? We did this with the house we live in and they had helpful weatherization suggestions etc.... 

Some areas of the country have programs which are free based on income.

If you have Dominion Virginia Power for example, they have an income- qualifying home improvement program.

Just thought this could save you on heating/electricity - we have found that the ceramic room heaters really drive up our electric bills in the winter.

i did not realize that some would do an energy audit for free. we're far enough out that are actually in a co-op for electricity (major power companies can't make enough profit to run the lines so a co-op does and then charges us a monthly fee on top of generation and distribution charges - i didn't know these existed before moving out here!). i'll have to check with them to see if they have a program that can help. i can feel drafts in some places. i admit that i just used shipping tape a couple of days ago to tape our kitchen door closed. i wanted to be able to open the blanket that's hung over the window on sunny days and plus i already had the shipping tape.

Quote:

Great work Sharlla! I love being on the budget plan for my electric and natural gas - helps me to deal with my salaried paycheck that doesn't change from month to month.

Yesterday was my Dave Ramsey anniversary! My DH and I have been budgeting and saving and paying off debts the Dave Ramsey way since Dec. 20, 2011.  It feels good to have paid off over $8000 in debts over this year and saved over $2000 so that means we are ahead over $10,000 over where we were last year. Today reminded me how important having an emergency fund is. My DH's car kept making a nasty noise when it was started - some belt was worn and needed to be replaced - and it also made a nasty noise when we applied the breaks - cost us about $350 today to get it fixed. There goes my health insurance premium rebate to refill the whole in our basic emergency fund. It felt great to pay with cash, not a credit card.

that is an awesome amount for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I hit a pot hole yesterday that blew up my brand new tire, dented my rim, and threw out my suspension. Good news is my insurance is paying for the rental car while my car is in the shop, and my $500 deductible will be paid with cash from the emergency fund............no credit cards. 

Oh and still no house. I think I got about 5 more offers rejected since I last updated.

that sucks about the pot hole but great that you had the cash!

i've decided to drop netflix and just rely on DVDs to be able to put that money toward my EF. also, got $100 from my mom for x-mas - will save that for electricity overages this winter. got $100 from ex-h for x-mas - going to use that to build rabbit tractors and expand chicken coop. i also need to remember to buy the little outlet and light switch insulation thingies too!

#75 of 85 Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:

I can see where having 3 to 6 months expenses in savings can be so aimless especially when you have learned how to live on a budget and no longer have any consumer debt. I am looking forward to getting to that point though! Knowing that someone else has attained step 0, 1, and 2 and has moved onto 3 is inspiring.

Christmas was great however, DH opened a new credit card!  "I got 30 % off our first purchase."  I will be paying off that ASAP.  Got the bill today.  Definitely need to rediscuss "no new debt".  Yeah, we can pay it off, but that isn't the point. We are trying to get rid of debts, not make new ones.

I was able to save a TON on a car seat by doing that and honestly, I'd probably do it again. I ended up keeping the card for a couple years without ever using it and just barely closed the account last week because I'm cleaning out the cards, so to speak. I don't think credit cards are inherently evil, but rather can be used for good or bad. I'm going to start closing all of ours (I literally have one that I haven't used in 5 years for Victoria Secret), but I'll keep our main one as a backup to our emergency fund. At least until we're through BS3.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#76 of 85 Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Wow, LVI, that's a HUGE admin fee. Will that get put towards expenses later or that's seriously what they charge for paper work??

Do you have other options? Is it possible to "shop around"?

#77 of 85 Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 PM

Unfortunately, where I live, there aren't any options that are closer to me and this one is 1.5 hours away.  I asked some of the other ladies in the IVF thread, one said that was about what she paid and another said there wasn't any fee like that but every state and location seems to have its own "fees".  Yep, I want the nurses to call me and update me on my status as I go through IVF and deal with the paperwork and I want to get the planning started which means I paid the fee today and made the IVF coordinator meeting for Jan. 15, 2013.  The next two weeks can't go by quick enough.

#78 of 85 Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 AM

YAY, so exciting!

I hope this 2 week wait goes quickly for you!!

#79 of 85 Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Paid the last CC off!  $2090.... but I did use my points card (a different CC)  for Christmas shopping.  I will have enough to pay it off when it arrives between the Christmas Club and the overtime worked this month.  I've been in the habit of using my points card & paying it off weekly for things like groceries and gas, this way it never gets too far away from me.  I know it isn't DR but it works for me and when it was opened we got tons off points for free flights.  We will be planning a vacation soon!!!

lactatinggirl likes this.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#80 of 85 Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 PM

lilac I'm so excited for you! sending baby vibes your way!

#81 of 85 Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM

Signed my DH and me up for a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University at a local church starting Sunday, Jan. 13. When I was talking with DH about signing up, DH told me I was being too intense about financial things and he wanted me to "relax".  I told him I wanted to pay off debts so I could stay home full time with our babies when I have them. He agreed about that, so I told him we needed to get gazelle intense about paying off debt!  Hopefully with the Sunday night time, DH can come to all the presentations.  There are only 9 of them instead of 13 like last year with Dave Ramsey's updated program. I want my husband to be on the same page as me and going together to the programs will hopefully help that.

lactatinggirl likes this.

#82 of 85 Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Lilacvioletiris,

Our FPU class was a wonderful starting point for us.  I hope it gets the two of you talking and on the same page like it did for us.  Good luck!

#83 of 85 Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

Paid the last CC off!  $2090.... but I did use my points card (a different CC)  for Christmas shopping.  I will have enough to pay it off when it arrives between the Christmas Club and the overtime worked this month.  I've been in the habit of using my points card & paying it off weekly for things like groceries and gas, this way it never gets too far away from me.  I know it isn't DR but it works for me and when it was opened we got tons off points for free flights.  We will be planning a vacation soon!!!

What's a Christmas club and which points card do you use? I've thought about getting a points card for when we do use the card (not often, as the cash system keeps me in check, but it's easier than cash for planned purchases sometimes) but they're so confusing! I've never had a points card before. Also, how many points do you get and how many points does it take for a flight. I'd love to be able to fly cheaply!

#84 of 85 Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM

My credit union does a christmas club. It's like a CD where you get a better interest rate for not being able to touch the money for a certain amount of time. Basically you put money away each month into the account and then you cash it out during the holidays.

I don't believe in CC's so I can't help you with the points card as I have never had one.

#85 of 85 Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhh, it's January! New thread?

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page