The Annual Mothering Handmade Gifts Ideas Photo Contest - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Greetings, its me again :)   I am a freeform crochet designer, I don't read patterns.  This hat was made out of cotton yarn, I added the ear covers after the hat was complete by attaching one crocheted circle to either side of the hat and connecting it by crocheting it together on the wrong side, the pompom was made by cutting about 50, 3 inch strips of yarn, securing it in the middle of the strips and then attaching it to the hat. Blessed Holy Days!!!

SunRise likes this.
#32 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Greetings Everyone!!  This is a baby wrap made out of 5 yards of soft cotton fabric, the edges of the fabric were stitched by hand, then I painted a sunburst on the middle with fabric paint, wrap, tie and you are all set to move around hands free with your baby.

#33 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

Your computer turns the image for your viewing, but it's not saved that way. You'll have to rotate the images and resave them. :)

Yes I've done that for other photos that were not saved right ways up. But this one is!!

#34 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM

UN-Paper Towels! We love these and I like choosing fabrics that fit the receiver's personality or decor. Lucky Cats for a fun friend or Classy trees for a more formal kitchen. I use a serger, but imagine you could easily turn and topstitch these. 

You'll need  1.5 yd of each fabric. I have used cotton flannel and cotton terry here but like to use flannel and diaper birds eye, too!

You can get 12 to 15 towels from 1.5 yards. Lay fabric out together and cut into 11" X 12" rectangles. Serge around edges of paired fabric. Apply 3 female snaps to one 11" edge and 3 male snaps to the other 11" edge. (cap up on one edge, cap down on the other so that they can be snapped together to roll up.) see photo

Snap the towels together and roll up. Viola! A roll of UN-Paper Towels. I gift these with a basket to collect the dirties for washing and sometimes a bottle of a green cleaner. Happy Gifting!

Susan :D

Mama505 and twylacat like this.
#35 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Waldorf Inspired dolls700

This year I decided my three children would receive a hand made doll, I have seen so many beautiful waldorf dolls but honestly the price to  purchase them has prevented me from owning any. After months of humming and hawing I finally decided on a pattern and purchased my fabric online. I sourced my wool locally, spun most of the yarn hair myself and made the clothing out of scrap fabric and clothing that I had around the house.

As you can see only two of the dolls are complete so far, I'm afraid that is as far as I can get before the entry deadline tonight.

the first thing I did was purchase a pattern with detailed instructions. I used the joys waldorf dolls 13" little love pattern for these dolls.

then I got to dying fleece and spinning some amazing yarn, I had a lot of fun making the hair.700

I'm afraid I didn't take a picture of the formed head before covering it, but here you can see what it looks like without hair.

and the same doll with hair, to make the hair I crocheted in the round until I had a cap that covered the dolls head. I sewed that down and then used the same technique as you use to make a latch hook rug (remember those from way back when) to attach the hair to the cap.

then I added some clothes, this one is for my 9 year old son who is autistic.

and here is a close up of the head of the doll for my 2 year old daughter.

Now I have 5 days to get the last doll for my 4 year old daughter finished and under the tree. I can't wait to see their faces when they open them!

Mama of 3, living in beautiful British Columbia Canada.

http://velcroandvideogames.wordpress.com/

#36 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 PM

shared and pinned

Mama of 3, living in beautiful British Columbia Canada.

http://velcroandvideogames.wordpress.com/

#37 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Baby mittens

Going to be making some more pairs of these but these were the first. I was inspired after visiting a local clothing store and seeing these simple baby mitts for sale for $16. 

They're made from some fleece and the tops of baby socks and were totally free to make. I got the fleece for free from a local store that make pyjamas and gives away the extra material. I was also given a whole bunch of baby socks, including many unmatching ones, before my son was born.

They stay up great over or under coats!

SunRise likes this.
#38 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Personalised board books

This is the gift I'm the most excited about but I haven't yet got much of it done. I still wanted to share it in case it inspires others!

My 10 month old loves books and he love pictures of himself so I am making him some personalised board books.

My materials:

I got some board books from the dollar store for $1 each. I've printed out some of my favourite pictures of my son. One book is going to spell his name "S is for....., etc." and the other is going to be a "once upon a time" book with a story of him, his family and things he enjoys doing. I got some card stock to cover up the images in the books and I'll glue in the paper and pictures, writing in the story by hand. I also got some glitter glue because he loves sparkly things. I also got a roll of adhesive vinyl to cover it all when each page is finished.

#39 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM

pinned

#40 of 42 Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM

UN-Paper Towels! We love these and I like choosing fabrics that fit the receiver's personality or decor. Lucky Cats for a fun friend or Classy trees for a more formal kitchen. I use a serger, but imagine you could easily turn and topstitch these. 

You'll need  1.5 yd of each fabric. I have used cotton flannel and cotton terry here but like to use flannel and diaper birds eye, too!

You can get 12 to 15 towels from 1.5 yards. Lay fabric out together and cut into 11" X 12" rectangles. Serge around edges of paired fabric. Apply 3 female snaps to one 11" edge and 3 male snaps to the other 11" edge. (cap up on one edge, cap down on the other so that they can be snapped together to roll up.) see photo

Snap the towels together and roll up. Viola! A roll of UN-Paper Towels. I gift these with a basket to collect the dirties for washing and sometimes a bottle of a green cleaner. Happy Gifting!

Susan :D

#41 of 42 Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Thanks for the great gift ideas everyone! This contest is now closed to entries. We will complete the judging and announce the winners so stay tuned!

#42 of 42 Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Our winners are:

First Place

Veritas Vitae for her Applique Shirts:

900x900px-LL-98fcae5d_565379_176629079147516_377665222_n.jpeg

Second Place

amberskyfire for her Gnome Treehouse

900x900px-LL-ff9f7ad7_DSC01992.jpeg

Third Place

sunanthem for her Long Hand Dyed Silk Twirl DIY 

900x900px-LL-73029745_greensilktwirl.jpeg

Congratulations everyone!

Closed Thread

Tags
Contests , Activities

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page