Getting INTO debt, december - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I have a pretty strict no-spend policy virutally all year round.  But I have been unemployed for a few months.  So I needed a suit (hoping to return it but I missed the return deadline),  and then my computer died and needed new computer, broke my tooth and needed crown, got a second interview and therefore needed another jacket.  And need I mention the holidays?  Yikes.  I even cancelled my new york times subscription. 

I had anticipated this, figuring it would take me 6 to 9 months to find a decent job after I got my master's.  So I took out a new 0% credit card and the computer and interview clothes are on there.  If I take 3 months to pay it off I at least I won't be paying any interest. 

But still, I haven't had any credit card debt for 12 years and no other kind of debt for 3.  Now I have student loans, credit cards and still owe my dentist $250.  OUCH!

Luckily I have a pending job offer and I will know for sure on Monday if they have come close to my salary needs.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

good luck on your job interview!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You know what they say! Gotta spend money to make money! :)

Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basylica View Post

You know what they say! Gotta spend money to make money! :)

I think that to a certain degree, this is true.  But it sure is a weird feeling to have debt again.  It makes me very uncomfortable and I can't wait to get my first pay check to start paying it off.  I have truly come to despise owing anyone any money to anyone.

After everything is paid off, I will top off my roth ira, save agressively and then start bearing down on the student loan.  Because we have had an extended period of low income due to me being in school  and a pending divorce, I thought that there would be things I would want to buy.  But there really isn't.  My microwave died 6 months ago and I think I will replace it.  My $20 yard sale tv might get replaced with one of the smallish flat screen ones as well.  The big ones seem incredibly invasive.  But there still won't be cable : )    

Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I totally feel for you! I've been debt-free for a couple of years and this month did not completely pay off the cc just in case the electric bill is ungodly. It feels terrible!

Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 AM

Did you get the job?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I did get the job!  Not as much money as I would have liked, but still with the fiscal cliff looming, I am glad to have a position with a stable looking company.  And I will be learning something new -- the job is in a small finance company.  At least I will be able to pay off my credit card, hopefully, in January.  But I will need some new clothes as well.  Hopefully I can hit up some after Christmas sales.  Having a position is a huge burden lifted as my alimony ends in May! 

Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 AM

Congratulations, that's great news!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Tags
Finances
User Tag List