Health insurance dilemma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realized a huge part of our financial issues are medical costs. Before I got laid off, we had a plan through my employer. It didn't cover a lot but it was relatively affordable... it was a high-deductible plan & I never thought I'd miss it but I really do!!

Now we get insurance through DH's employer. For him it's free but for me & DS it's $750 a month. His paychecks are pitiful, not even enough to cover the mortgage after insurance & taxes are deducted! And that's our only income (actually I'm on temporary disability but there have been lots of paperwork glitches so I am inconsistently receiving checks & the program's time limit expires in a couple months anyway so I don't really factor it in).

OK sorry to ramble. Anyway, we are also paying about $250/month (in a good month) for copays on top of the $750. I'm so stressed about it!

DS should qualify for the state-subsidized plan (Medicare) and we'd only have to pay around $60/month for him. But DH's employer charges $750/mo whether it's just one extra person on the plan or two. So we'd still have to pay $750 for me to stay on his plan. I can't go without health insurance, especially because of my medical issue & therapy.

So now I'm wondering if there's some way I can get an individual plan just for me, but every website I check says there are no plans available in my area. When my temporary disability officially runs out, there is a chance I might qualify for the state plan, but a lot of my doctors don't accept it (and it's taken so long to find good doctors!!) So maybe I just need a catastrophic plan & pay for everything else out of pocket???

I just don't know what to do. We can't keep paying over $1000/mo on health costs, our savings is almost gone and then we'll be totally screwed. I feel like there must be other options out there but I can't find them. greensad.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

you might want to talk to an insurance broker or someone who is up to date on the changes from the new Health Care law?   There may be more options opening up.  Some states have medical insurance available for adults as well as children but you usually have to off it for a certain amount of time.  You may also want to look into Medicaid if you are low enough income.  $750 seems high.  Is there any possibility that the company could look into other insurance options?

#3 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

So I just found out that apparently my state has a law saying you can't buy private health insurance if you are eligible for coverage under an employer-sponsored plan. eyesroll.gif I guess capitalism and free trade do not apply to health. Grrr....

Right now because I am getting temporary disability our income ends up just above the cut-off for adults to receive Medicaid. Once the disability runs out (and I don't think I'd be eligible for SSI/long-term disability even though I'm not sure I'll be able to work again for who knows how long...) then it looks like I *should* qualify for Medicaid. So I guess my only option is really to just wait 'til the disability payments end.

$750 *is* really high, especially when you consider how little money DH is making. I don't know why they can't come up with something cheaper, or at least have a plan where I'm not paying $35 copays every time I or DS has to go to the doctor or therapy or whatever...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

contact your state and federal reps and let them know (that is their job!!) .... and keep after them until they tell you at least something- at least why the law is in your state (actually it is in most as well)

write to your local newspaper so others know what is happening to you

in the long run change to state/federal regulations/laws only come about via outcry

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Apply for SSDI now. You can receive both your short term disability and SSDI, you may be surprised and get it easily. Stranger things have happened. But then the waiting period will start for Medicare as well.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page