Help me with my pantry challenge -- beans/legumes and staples; need recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I want to increase my family's bean/legume consumption and need some simple and yummy recipes.  Here is what I have to work with (winter pantry stuff):

red, green, and French lentils

white, red, black, and pinto beans

garbanzo beans

onions, garlic

carrots, potatoes

fresh cabbage, kale

frozen green beans, peas, corn

canned tomatoes

apples, raisins

brown, white, arborio, sushi, and MN wild rice

quinoa, millet

bacon fat, olive oil, margarine

balsamic, red, cider vinegar

tamari, ketchup, mustard

maple syrup, molasses, honey (small amounts)

salt, pepper, seasoned salt, herbs and spices

I also use various thickeners, GF flours, cornmeal, etc.

We are dairy-free and gluten-free.  We are meat-eaters but I'd like to avoid using meat except perhaps in small amounts as flavoring.  We have pork, beef, chicken, turkey, and bacon in our freezer -- but I need to stretch it.

Ideally I'd love to come up with as many recipes as possible from these standard ingredients that don't require me to purchase additional items other than perhaps new spices/seasonings.

Help!  What would you make?  Multiple ideas and recipes are welcome.  I've been planning to do this for a long time (years) and finally have some time and attention to do it (as well as the financial incentive.)  Thanks.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#2 of 3 Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fired Greek and garlic stew at mouthwateringvegan.com is delish it call for sweet potato, but I'm sure you could sub white potato.
#3 of 3 Old 12-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honey baked lentils? It looks like you have everything you'd need. I make them (using the first recipe) with red lentils and chunks of sweet potato, and they're heavenly. I bet you could throw handful of quinoa in there with them and it would be even better. 

http://simplyserina.wordpress.com/2007/07/26/honey-baked-lentils/

http://www.food.com/recipe/honey-baked-lentils-58598

There's another recipe someone shared here a long time ago that they called "Irish dinner" that we really like too. It's basically potatoes, carrots, and cheese. Here's a link to an old post I wrote about it. My oldest was in a picky phase then but loves it now, LOL!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/616998/the-whats-for-dinner-thread#post_7314581

You can roast a chicken, pull off all the meat to use in other meals, make bone broth, and use your random veggies (potatoes, carrots, peas, beans, corn) in a pot of chicken soup (a winter staple here). 

Our favorite way to eat cabbage is to cook it with some flavorful sausage. I saute a couple in olive oil at the bottom of a big pot, then add sliced cabbage in (I don't chop it tiny, but I do try to make smaller chunks so the flavor spreads around some). I cook it all together on high for a few minutes, then turn the temp low and let the cabbage release its liquid and let the sausage juices flavor the whole thing. I always add a bay leaf or two and plenty of rosemary and thyme and black pepper, maybe some salt depending on how few sausages you're using. At the end I cut the sausages into small slices so everyone gets a few slices with their big bowl of cabbage. A slice of buttered bread goes nicely on the side too.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. You might also ask this question in the Eating forum (not sure what that's called these days!). 

ETA that I just realized you probably wanted only recipes that included beans and/or lentils--sorry about that!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page