Raw vs Almond Milk (Homemade vs Store) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Trying to balance health and frugality..my youngest son loves milk. He definitely prefers almond milk over cow milk. My husband likes any kind of milk at all. If we can get raw milk for $7/gal, what would you choose between raw or dairy? Also, homemade or store bought? If storebought what brand?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 17 Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would do almond milk hands down. Raw milk can pose serious health concerns for small children.

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#3 of 17 Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you trust the source, I would go for primarily the raw cow's milk. I don't believe it actually poses any health concerns at all, and, in fact, presents a lot of benefits. This goes out the window if you haven't any idea where it's coming from or if the cows are pastured or how they are cared for, or how the milk is stored until it gets to you, etc, etc. Maybe the almond milk could be an occasional treat? You could just make a small batch every week or so... I know it's also lovely, it's just that almonds are so flippin' expensive! 

For greater things are yet to come...

#4 of 17 Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM

I would have no qualms about raw milk. In fact, we give it to our small children every day. Most of the 'concern' is from the dairy industry. Conflict of interest, much?

#5 of 17 Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm not concerned about that. ;) I'm really just wanting to figure out which is more nutritious for my tiny 2 year old and which is cheaper, etc. I'm leaning toward almond milk for ease and because I can store it shelf stable if I buy it.

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#6 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM

homemade doesnt last but a couple days so if you make a quart you have to make sure you are going to use it

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Good point..I think I decided to buy 1 gal organic cow milk for dh and I, 2 gal almond milk for the boys and cooking and .5 gal chocolate almond milk as a treat. If we need more it'll be homemade!

#8 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM

It sounds like you have this mostly figured out....we personlly drink only raw and my one year old son drink about 12 ounces a day. the fat of whole milk is really important for Lo's brain development.

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#9 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM

nut fat is just as good for brain development as dairy fat, plus no cholesterol in almonds and all those good omegas
#10 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama44 View Post

nut fat is just as good for brain development as dairy fat, plus no cholesterol in almonds and all those good omegas

You are totally accurate...didn't mean to imply in my post that you could only get good brain fats from animal milk ( even though when I re-read it...it did come across that way)! Thanks for making this distinction shy.gif

Me, slinggirl.gif mama to 1.5 yr old kid.gifDS, step mama to two tweens, married to a sarcastic sports nut censored.gif. We are unschooling! mdcblog5.gif http://twocoolfourschool.wordpress.com/

#11 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM

smile.gif i didn't mean anything either. i am just used to defending nuts ;p
#12 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 AM

ROTFLMAO.gif

#13 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Raw milk for $7/gal?! That sounds so awesome. Here it is $16/gal so we get a quart a week and don't get to enjoy big tasty glasses of milk any more. *sigh* I miss drinking lots of milk but I just can't afford it at this price.

Almond milk just isn't satisfying to me in the same way. I might as well drink water--so I do. :)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#14 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM

I pay $9.99 for a HALF gallon:) Its mostly only DS2 drinking it and a 1/2 gal can last a week so its not the end of the world but still...

#15 of 17 Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Wow this price difference must be the difference between east and west coast?! I live in central nh, just outside of a college/medical community and we are now paying $8 a gallon for raw organic milk....that price just increased from $6 to 8 bc the cost of organic hay went way up. We go through 1.5 gallons for me, DH, and 14 month DS who loves milk. Wonder why the price is so different.

* We go straight to the farm to pick up....store bought raw, organic milk would run about $12  a gallon here, so it is totally worth the trip to the farm, plus i hope to get on board with the milking once DS is a bit older, seems like it would be the next best thing to actually having cows.

#16 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Raw milk for sure.  I think you have a good solution to do both milks to cut down on costs.  Nutritionally, not much is to be had from almond milk, IMO.  As PP said, nuts are a great source of fat, but when made into milk, you're really not getting much from them.  That's why boxed milks are fortified.  So, if you're looking for the good fats in a milk source, that raw whole milk is the way to go.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#17 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We went with almond and other nut milks from the time dd was one and a half or so. She has a dairy allergy. She still loves almond and hemp milk the best. She's a healthy six year old now. I like to make my own nut milk but I do buy the organic no sugar added whole foods brands to have on hand. 

mama to three little ladies

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page