January No Spend Challenge~ Ringing in the New Year with $$ in our Pockets!!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 485 Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would you mind sharing what bank this is? I would love to get Moneybags...er, I mean, DD10...to be more active about putting her little hoard into savings, and DH is dying to have an opportunity to teach her about compounding interest, LOL!

ETA: Never mind, I think I figured it out. It doesn't look like they do the 5% APR here, and there's a $5 monthly maintenance fee bigeyes.gif

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#422 of 485 Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Well, I folded and went and had my hair cut.  Dh came home early and gave me a two hour break which was really lovely of him.  He has been working long, long hours lately and this was my first kid-free moment in a month.  It was sweet of him.  I could have done without the haircut, but he was so determined to give me a gift of time and pampering.  I wish I loved the cut more, it is rather blah.  It looks kind of frumpy and mom-ish.  Or maybe, it is all of my grey hair that looks so frumpy!  I don't notice the grey till I get a cut and then Hello!  

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Budgeted spend

irked.gif   Unbudgeted Spend

treehugger.gif  Do something frugal at home

January 1 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  lowered temperature on hot water heater

January 2 -- irked.gif   $10.50 food at airport  treehugger.gif  soaked beans for dh and kids

January 3 -- love.gif

January 4 -- love.gif

January 5 -- love.gif  

January 6 -- irked.gif  $3 tea at airport

January 7 -- thumb.gif  well baby check up  treehugger.gif  soaking more beans for meals, lowered heat 2 degrees

January 8 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for another day

January 9 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for yet another day

January 10 -- thumb.gif  grocery shopping 

January 11 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  shut down the heat due to warm temps

January 12 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  dh repaired kitchen faucet

January 13 -- love.gif

January 14 -- irked.gif $20 shoes, $20 birthday present, $30 haircuts

January 15 -- love.gif  

January 16 -- love.gif

January 17 -- thumb.gif  grocery shopping 

January 18 -- love.gif

January 19 -- love.gif

January 20 -- love.gif

January 21 -- love.gif

January 22 -- love.gif

January 23 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  made snacks for play date

January 24 -- 23.00 haircut

January 25

My goals:

Save 50% of Jan 4th paycheck -- done!

Save 20% of Jan 18th paycheck -- nope, only made 16%

Do something frugal every day

Make every dollar matter

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#423 of 485 Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

surrender.gif

I am so done with this month.  Bad bad bad bad bad.

Birthday shopping done.  What is with the food bill this month?  It looks like it's veering back into 4-digit territory by the end.  And that's not counting the birthday bash.  

Ugh!

Got $10 credit at the bookstore.  Got away from the mechanic only spending $34.  So what is up with the food spending?  It's the snack-and-eat-out budget.  Now I'm limiting the girls, it looks like it's the extra eating out and treats for dh and I.  I wish he would stop putting his candy bars and donuts on the grocery receipts!  orngtongue.gif

ETA: and I've been baking bread, making yogurt.... I found this amazingly inexpensive organic pepperjack..... what is up???

ETAA:....aaaaaand I've been buying and eating less meat!!!!   dizzy.gif  Grrrrrr.........

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#424 of 485 Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

My month begins on the 15th of every month as that's pay day and we are paid monthly.

Any day where I spent on groceries and still come under my monthly allowance of $1000 is counted as a no spend day. For me, our groceries are right up there with mortgage and bills in the "essential" category.

Tuesday 15th January: $15 Flowers for neighbour, $225 Electric mincer irked.gif

Wednesday 16th January: No spend thumb.gif

Thursday 17th January: No spend thumb.gif

Friday 18th January: No spend thumb.gif

Saturday 19th January: $33 Lego on clearance irked.gif

Sunday 20th January: No spend thumb.gif

Monday 21st January: No spend thumb.gif

Tuesday 22nd January: No spend thumb.gif

Wednesday 23rd January: No spend thumb.gif

Thursday 24th January: $23.80 on burgers irked.gif

Friday 25th January: No spend thumb.gif

Friday 25th January:

$15.00 Gas for dh's car

$428 / $1000 Grocery budget

$162.95 / $200 Gas budget

What I did today to save money:

Stayed at home

Cooked out of fridge/freezer/pantry/ate leftovers

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#425 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

surrender.gif

I am so done with this month.  Bad bad bad bad bad.

Birthday shopping done.  What is with the food bill this month?  It looks like it's veering back into 4-digit territory by the end.  And that's not counting the birthday bash.  

Right there with you.  Our grocery budget has gone up and up in the past few months.  I know why -- kids are getting bigger, I am nursing and eating like a horse, we eat every meal at home, and we have had to make some changes for my son's wheat intolerance.   And it is crazy cold outside and we are all more hungry.  

It is simply costing us more to eat.  

#426 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutres

1.  irked.gif  Not exactly how I wanted to start the year/ month, but all well.  Another $200 spent at Home Depot for more shelving for my kids' rooms, $40 spent at the grocery store while we continue to wrap our head around the food allergies.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif  $$ bought DDs's birthday cake and ice cream for DS2.  Blew up the birth pool, gathered birth supplies, & put crib together.

6.  irked.gif  $75 at Home Depot.  Shelves are working out so well in the kids' rooms, DH and I decided to put some in our room.  Making split pea soup for after birth from a ham bone my mom saved.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Frugal accomplishments for today:  started cutting out cloth wipes to sew for new baby, packed all our snacks and brought our water bottles to the 3hr meeting today that I had to take the kids w/ me to, cooked dinner at home even though I was exhausted after my meeting, including greens from our garden we have in a low tunnel, pulled out next size up clothes from storage for DD2 and DD3 (still need to go through DD3's drawers to pull out too small clothing, hopefully tomorrow)

8.  thumb.gif  $17 spent at grocery store for milk, pasta, and a jar of sauce (not frugal, I usually make my own sauce, but hey, we didn't eat out winky.gif).  Frugal accomplishments for today:  went through DD3's clothes, separated all of the clothes I've pulled from the drawers the last few weeks and started a donation bag, raked half my front yard and moved the leaves into the garden beds, dug a trench and buried 5 gallons of kitchen scraps in one of the beds, brought our change to the coinstar machine and got an amazon gift card.

9.  thumb.gif  $6 on an amazon grocery order for soy free chocolate chips, sorghum flour, and chia seeds.  Frugal accomplishments for today: used amazon gift card from yesterday for majority of amazon order, cut DS2's hair, ate all meals and snacks out of the pantry/ freezer

10. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Planned food shopping list for Saturday, cut cloth wipes from upcycled flannel sheet and towels, DH picked up our bulk foods co-op order last night so I was able to make a loaf of gluten-free bread  for lunch and muffins for breakfast, also eating dinner at home, started taxes, opened windows in house to get some fresh air in (we're in a warm streak), took the end of the loaf of bread I made and set it aside to make gluten free bread crumbs

11.  irked.gif  DH made a pretty big purchase today.  We put it on our CC and will pay it off next month b/c it was a last minute, completely unbudgeted purchase.  Also bought some groceries.  Frugal accomplishments for today: wintersowed 5 containers (3 onions and 2 broccoli) using seed starting soil from last year and jugs I've been saving.

12. thumb.gif  Did our big, once-a-month grocery shop.  Apparently I wasn't paying as close attention when I made my list b/c I ended up buying quite a bit of duplicates of things we didn't really need, though they can go in the stockpile now.  We overspent our food budget by about $90, but I'm not sure how much of that is food cost increases, allergen free ingredients that are slightly more expensive, or a just a general need to increase the food budget that I don't want to come to terms with, lol.gif .

13. irked.gif  Had to pick up mailing labels for a project for DD1's troop.  It wasn't in the budget, but I told my co-leader I'd take care of it.

14. thumb.gif  Pack meeting pot luck at scouts, except it was "Bring your fave pizza from your fave pizza place" night.  Ugh, we can't have pizza now because of DS2's allergies, so I packed sandwiches on homemade gluten-free bread and made gluten free rice krispie treats for dessert.  Picked up 50lbs of potatoes on the way home ($17).

15. thumb.gif  knit.gif Set aside pieces from yesterday's bread loaves to use for breadcrumbs, finished cutting out rest of the upcycled baby wipes (over 6 dozen total, we totally need them, the wipes I'm using now are falling apart & some are approaching 8yrs old) hopefully I'll get them serged up tonight, made sure the hose/ siphon for the birth pool was clean, also started a crockpot full of chicken stock from 2 frozen carcasses

16. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Not going anywhere, no money should be spent.  We haven't seen the sun in about a week, we've had 3 days of rain, and we're all going stir crazy in this house.  Finished the 6 dozen cloth wipes, went through the wipe stash and pulled out the unusable ones, cut out the pieces to sew 2 wool pilot caps for the babe on the way

17. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't leave the house, "they" were calling for snow (we've gotten none).  All meals eaten at home, DH worked from home so no gas usage, started sewing the wool pilot caps, started cutting some pocket inserts for DD3's Fuzzi Bunz (the ones we're using are falling apart).

18. irked.gif  knit.gif  $45 spent at Five Guys for dinner.  Frugal things for the day: cut more pocket inserts for DD3's diapers, finished some leftovers for lunch, DH worked from home

19. irked.gif  $40 spent at grocery store, not budgeted.  Going to try to work on serging pocket inserts and maybe some diapers for DD3.  Will get 2 loaves of bread rising before bed for lunch tomorrow and hopefully gather supplies up to make soap, deodorant, and lotion bars tomorrow, too.

20. irked.gif  knit.gif  Ugh.  $15 spent at store for new cheese grater, instant read thermometer, and a candy thermometer.  DD3 is sick, so I haven't gotten much sewing or fabric cutting going.  I *did* manage to make deodorant and our "boo boo lotion" yesterday.  Went to the hardware store for lye, but they were already closed eyesroll.gif

21. irked.gif  knit.gif  DH spent $6 at Chik Fil A for ice cream for the boys (there was some scheduling confusion w/ scouts and it ended up being canceled.  All the other parents took their kids to Chik Fil A for ice cream and playtime, DH felt like the boys would miss out if he didn't go), $18 spent at Lowe's fro more cinder blocks for our "overflow pantry" shelves that DH started setting up.  Soap is made, no lotion bars though b/c I realized I think my mom has the rest of the stash I previously made, I'll get them from her so I don't waste precious supplies on excess lotion bars.  Cut DS1 and DH's hair.  Made dinner at home, getting ready to start 2 loaves of bread for lunch tomorrow.

22.  thumb.gif  DS2 had a follow up allergist appointment today.  Breakfast was homemade muffins in the car on the way to the dr, lunch was sandwiches on homemade bread, dinner will be from the pantry and freezer.  Cut the soap and set it out to cure.  I'm not giving myself a Crafting Day yet, but I'm hoping to get some pocket dipe inserts done or maybe start knitting a pair of mittens for DD3.

23. irked.gif  I'm spending money in 30 minutes.  We're getting take out.  I have NO motivation to cook or even think about cooking.  I'm tired, I have a headache, and I'm so incredibly cranky.  I didn't get any crafting done last night, hopefully tonight I'll cast on for DD3's mittens, she desperately needs them.

24. thumb.gif  No spending, no crafting, no baby, either.

15/ 20 No Spend Days

8/ 20 Crafting Days

DD1 has a dr appointment this morning, we'll bring snacks and water with us to hold the kids over til we can eat lunch at home.  Dinner will be at home, too.  DH is working from home today.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#427 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

Come on Baby!!!!!  

#428 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post

Would you mind sharing what bank this is? I would love to get Moneybags...er, I mean, DD10...to be more active about putting her little hoard into savings, and DH is dying to have an opportunity to teach her about compounding interest, LOL!

ETA: Never mind, I think I figured it out. It doesn't look like they do the 5% APR here, and there's a $5 monthly maintenance fee bigeyes.gif

It is not an online bank it is a local community bank, not likely to help you unless you live locally.  No maintenance fees.  Call around, you might find a bank in your area doing something similar! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#429 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 AM

thumb.gif No spending     winky.gif  Budgeted spending    joy.gifDid something to save $ or make extra $       hang.gif  Hung clothes on the line

January 

01  thumb.gif

02  winky.gif Groceries greensad.gif Bought lunch $5.31

03  greensad.gif Bought lunch out $5.31

04  winky.gif Filled my tank with gas, paid for my DD's school sport fee,   greensad.gif bought lunch $6.50, went out for dinner with a gift card DH won but went over by $35@

05  joy.gifExchanged a Christmas gift, for bras that I was in dire need of, found on clearance $5 each I got 4!!!! greensad.gif Bought Chinese $20

06   thumb.gif

07   winky.gif  Bought a few things to make lunches during my lunch hour, also bought my lunch $6 greensad.gif

08    thumb.gif  joy.gif  Started reading DR, sat down to go through January spending & make some changes!  

09   winky.gif Bought groceries

10   thumb.gif

11   greensad.gif   Went to mall with my sister bought myself lunch $10

12   thumb.gif  joy.gifBottled two dozen bottles of Kombucha & made two gallons of tea to brew more kombucha!

13  joy.gifGot free tickets to local theater!  Spent $14 on water & snacks greensad.gif

14   winky.gif  Picked up a few things from grocery store

15   winky.gif  Sending DH to the cheap grocery store today for a couple more things that will help to stretch the food that we already have!

16   winky.gif  Spent about $100 on Frontier Co-op, put $100 in savings account AND...PAID OFF FINAL CREDIT CARD FROM CHRISTMAS EXPENSES!!!! Yahoo!

The DR Debt Snowball method has served us well!  We have had many bumps in the road and hiccups along the way, we didn't give up using CC's all together & I just started reading DR's book this month!   

17   thumb.gif

18   thumb.gif

19   greensad.gif  Spent more than I should have on groceries, will limit to produce, and dairy for the rest of the monthjoy.gifMade a gallon of homemade yogurt for $3.50

20   greensad.gif  DH bought a subscription to Ancestry.com last year with his Christmas money, It just auto renewed!  $149 greensad.gif

21  thumb.gif

22  thumb.gif

23  thumb.gif  Brought change to the coin machine at my bank $17.42!  Opened kids student bank accounts with 5% interest on up to $1000!  joy.gif

24. thumb.gif  I did some reading on The Prudent Homemaker's blog & website I found this blog entry especially helpful!  We do eat lots of produce though.  I have spent $510 on food so far this month which is great I think (for a family of 4) but that doesn't include the teas & dried herbs, spices & household soaps that I bought from Frontier.   I should add the edibles into the grocery amount.  I tend to buy 1 lb of the dried herbs/spices that I use regularly.  I just tallied my Frontier food items at $43.00 I wanted to keep groceries around $500 for Jan.  The Frontier brings the grocery tally up to $553.06 and I still have to pick up raw milk tomorrow.  I struggle with the grocery budget!  Last weekend we stocked up on meat & bread (great sale).  We have a good amount in our freezer for the next few weeks.  Since I stock up on things when the prices are cheap, those items will continue to feed us into next month for sure!  So hopefully it all averages out over the course of several months.  I transferred $ to savings today!  I'm on track to fund a Roth IRA for myself by April 15!joy.gif

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#430 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM

January 25

I just made my Azure Standard order, and it looks better than last month.  We needed everything last month, this month if everything comes in will be about $130, and that is groceries, household supplies and chicken pellets (for them to eat, not made of!)  So, the 4 weeks of February will be a bit easier to hit our target.  It could be our troubles this month stemmed from that huge order, because our weekly spending on food has been fairly reasonable, even with the over-spending on treats and eating out.  

This month, I only have to purchase groceries for next Saturday's birthday meal.  Monday is open swim.  February I reserve our campsite at the beach. All other extra activities need to come out of our FUNfund. Other than that----

----no more spending.

No more spending.

No more spending.

I still need some things, but I can make due until April or May.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#431 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM

1/25

smile.gif $3.38 on gum for the kids, which I am fine with.

frugal things: baked gluten free brownies.  Took the kids to the library for free yoga and a free craft project. 

#432 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedbutterfly View Post

thumb.gif = No Spend  smile.gif = Groceries/Gas/Ok spending  duck.gif= Unnecessary spending  jog.gif = Exercised  yummy.gif = Ate all meals at home

Week 4 Jan 20-26

I made a realization this week. We're going to spend money. But my goal is to SPEND LESS. I'm trying and with being sick that really through us for a loop. But It's payday tomorrow and the amount of money left over in the account is INCREDIBLE! It will pay off another good chunk of our CC and LOC and my saving for our BEF is going awesome! So I'm actually really proud of us. Yes we could cut back more. But it's our first month and life still happens! I like my weekly totals as it's really helping me see where our money is going!

Jan 20: Stuff: $32.73 (Birthday party present and toiletries), $19.32 random stuff, $5.60 (75% off Christmas cards for next year, 30 total and that's how many I think I'll send out) Eat Out: $8.40 and $25.88 Groceries: $94.97 smile.gif duck.gif

Jan 21: $40 Gas smile.gif yummy.gif

Jan 22: Had to go to a Dr's Appt 2.5 hours away and so we always do our "big" shopping at the same time (ie Costco and other stores we don't have here). Eat Out: $ 14.55, $15.75 and $8.37 Stuff: $33.57, $8.40, $10.50, $155.90, $19.73 Gas: $64.03 smile.gifduck.gif

Jan 23: Going for a no spend day today! In fact I deposited my last couple weeks of babysitting cheques and withdrew the money straight to our cash BEF. thumb.gif yummy.gif

$94.97/$200 weekly grocery budget

$280.20/$?? weekly stuff budget
$104.03/$?? weekly gas budget
$72.95/$?? weekly eating out budget (would like this to be $50 a week to start, with a goal of $100 a month but that could be unrealistic)
$27.89/$50 monthly dog budget

Jan 24: thumb.gif yummy.gif Amazing since it was payday ;) BUT they forgot 15 DOUBLE time hours on DH's paycheque so it was quite a bit less than we were expecting and it was already going to be smaller than usual. Luckily I had had *this* thread keeping me motivated before and we had saved so much money from his last paycheque that we'll be fine, but it still sucks as I had wanted to put what we had saved straight to the CC and LOC :( I did pay bills but those are the usual suspects I pay on payday and not in my no spend deelio!

Jan 25: I'll be buying groceries and I need to pay the license fee for the dog and I bought DD2 a great pair of second hand skates this morning. smile.gif I'll update later when I know the totals of everything!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#433 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

My Goal = 15 thumb.gif No-Spend days

My progress = 18 No-spend day so far  joy.gif

01..  $258 cross-country ski club for the kids

02..  thumb.gif

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  $40.09  Date Night

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  thumb.gif

10..  thumb.gif

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

16..  $6 McDonald's

17..  $8 Buddhism book for Mothers

18..  thumb.gif

19..  $19 Music

20..  $26 stuffed elephant

21   thumb.gif

22   thumb.gif

23   thumb.gif

24   thumb.gif

25   thumb.gif

#434 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

I was just coming on here to stalk Jen.  Anytime you don't post for 24 hours...we'll assume you are in labor.  winky.gif

#435 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Key

1.  irked.gif  Not exactly how I wanted to start the year/ month, but all well.  Another $200 spent at Home Depot for more shelving for my kids' rooms, $40 spent at the grocery store while we continue to wrap our head around the food allergies.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif  $$ bought DDs's birthday cake and ice cream for DS2.  Blew up the birth pool, gathered birth supplies, & put crib together.

6.  irked.gif  $75 at Home Depot.  Shelves are working out so well in the kids' rooms, DH and I decided to put some in our room.  Making split pea soup for after birth from a ham bone my mom saved.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Frugal accomplishments for today:  started cutting out cloth wipes to sew for new baby, packed all our snacks and brought our water bottles to the 3hr meeting today that I had to take the kids w/ me to, cooked dinner at home even though I was exhausted after my meeting, including greens from our garden we have in a low tunnel, pulled out next size up clothes from storage for DD2 and DD3 (still need to go through DD3's drawers to pull out too small clothing, hopefully tomorrow)

8.  thumb.gif  $17 spent at grocery store for milk, pasta, and a jar of sauce (not frugal, I usually make my own sauce, but hey, we didn't eat out winky.gif).  Frugal accomplishments for today:  went through DD3's clothes, separated all of the clothes I've pulled from the drawers the last few weeks and started a donation bag, raked half my front yard and moved the leaves into the garden beds, dug a trench and buried 5 gallons of kitchen scraps in one of the beds, brought our change to the coinstar machine and got an amazon gift card.

9.  thumb.gif  $6 on an amazon grocery order for soy free chocolate chips, sorghum flour, and chia seeds.  Frugal accomplishments for today: used amazon gift card from yesterday for majority of amazon order, cut DS2's hair, ate all meals and snacks out of the pantry/ freezer

10. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Planned food shopping list for Saturday, cut cloth wipes from upcycled flannel sheet and towels, DH picked up our bulk foods co-op order last night so I was able to make a loaf of gluten-free bread  for lunch and muffins for breakfast, also eating dinner at home, started taxes, opened windows in house to get some fresh air in (we're in a warm streak), took the end of the loaf of bread I made and set it aside to make gluten free bread crumbs

11.  irked.gif  DH made a pretty big purchase today.  We put it on our CC and will pay it off next month b/c it was a last minute, completely unbudgeted purchase.  Also bought some groceries.  Frugal accomplishments for today: wintersowed 5 containers (3 onions and 2 broccoli) using seed starting soil from last year and jugs I've been saving.

12. thumb.gif  Did our big, once-a-month grocery shop.  Apparently I wasn't paying as close attention when I made my list b/c I ended up buying quite a bit of duplicates of things we didn't really need, though they can go in the stockpile now.  We overspent our food budget by about $90, but I'm not sure how much of that is food cost increases, allergen free ingredients that are slightly more expensive, or a just a general need to increase the food budget that I don't want to come to terms with, lol.gif .

13. irked.gif  Had to pick up mailing labels for a project for DD1's troop.  It wasn't in the budget, but I told my co-leader I'd take care of it.

14. thumb.gif  Pack meeting pot luck at scouts, except it was "Bring your fave pizza from your fave pizza place" night.  Ugh, we can't have pizza now because of DS2's allergies, so I packed sandwiches on homemade gluten-free bread and made gluten free rice krispie treats for dessert.  Picked up 50lbs of potatoes on the way home ($17).

15. thumb.gif  knit.gif Set aside pieces from yesterday's bread loaves to use for breadcrumbs, finished cutting out rest of the upcycled baby wipes (over 6 dozen total, we totally need them, the wipes I'm using now are falling apart & some are approaching 8yrs old) hopefully I'll get them serged up tonight, made sure the hose/ siphon for the birth pool was clean, also started a crockpot full of chicken stock from 2 frozen carcasses

16. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Not going anywhere, no money should be spent.  We haven't seen the sun in about a week, we've had 3 days of rain, and we're all going stir crazy in this house.  Finished the 6 dozen cloth wipes, went through the wipe stash and pulled out the unusable ones, cut out the pieces to sew 2 wool pilot caps for the babe on the way

17. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Didn't leave the house, "they" were calling for snow (we've gotten none).  All meals eaten at home, DH worked from home so no gas usage, started sewing the wool pilot caps, started cutting some pocket inserts for DD3's Fuzzi Bunz (the ones we're using are falling apart).

18. irked.gif  knit.gif  $45 spent at Five Guys for dinner.  Frugal things for the day: cut more pocket inserts for DD3's diapers, finished some leftovers for lunch, DH worked from home

19. irked.gif  $40 spent at grocery store, not budgeted.  Going to try to work on serging pocket inserts and maybe some diapers for DD3.  Will get 2 loaves of bread rising before bed for lunch tomorrow and hopefully gather supplies up to make soap, deodorant, and lotion bars tomorrow, too.

20. irked.gif  knit.gif  Ugh.  $15 spent at store for new cheese grater, instant read thermometer, and a candy thermometer.  DD3 is sick, so I haven't gotten much sewing or fabric cutting going.  I *did* manage to make deodorant and our "boo boo lotion" yesterday.  Went to the hardware store for lye, but they were already closed eyesroll.gif

21. irked.gif  knit.gif  DH spent $6 at Chik Fil A for ice cream for the boys (there was some scheduling confusion w/ scouts and it ended up being canceled.  All the other parents took their kids to Chik Fil A for ice cream and playtime, DH felt like the boys would miss out if he didn't go), $18 spent at Lowe's fro more cinder blocks for our "overflow pantry" shelves that DH started setting up.  Soap is made, no lotion bars though b/c I realized I think my mom has the rest of the stash I previously made, I'll get them from her so I don't waste precious supplies on excess lotion bars.  Cut DS1 and DH's hair.  Made dinner at home, getting ready to start 2 loaves of bread for lunch tomorrow.

22.  thumb.gif  DS2 had a follow up allergist appointment today.  Breakfast was homemade muffins in the car on the way to the dr, lunch was sandwiches on homemade bread, dinner will be from the pantry and freezer.  Cut the soap and set it out to cure.  I'm not giving myself a Crafting Day yet, but I'm hoping to get some pocket dipe inserts done or maybe start knitting a pair of mittens for DD3.

23. irked.gif  I'm spending money in 30 minutes.  We're getting take out.  I have NO motivation to cook or even think about cooking.  I'm tired, I have a headache, and I'm so incredibly cranky.  I didn't get any crafting done last night, hopefully tonight I'll cast on for DD3's mittens, she desperately needs them.

25. irked.gif knit.gif  Well, DH and I caved, we got McD's for lunch on the way home from DD1's dr appointment shy.gif  The kids were begging for it and we haven't had it in over 6wks b/c of DS2's wheat allergy diagnosis.  It seems he can have wheat in small doses, so we'll be extra diligent in keeping it out of the diet for the next 6wks.  Woohoo, I actually got DD3's mittens cast on and the first one is halfway done!!

15/ 20 No Spend Days

9/ 20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#436 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was just coming on here to stalk Jen.  Anytime you don't post for 24 hours...we'll assume you are in labor.  winky.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif Don't worry, I'll be sure to update everyone love.gif

#437 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Hi Jen - Not sure where you are, but it is snowing here and I have always heard that brings babiesluxlove.gif

Today is actually my oldest son's 13th birthday (he was born in a blizzard) and I will say is that it has thrown my spending off this weekend. We are usually VERY simple with birthdays, but this is a milestone so we are taking my parents, brother and sister inlaw out for sushi tonight (a reasonable place, but it will still add up). I got him a couple of nice, but not extravagant gifts (an Under Armour sweatshirt and a Alarm Clock stereo station to plug his ITouch into), but again it added up.  He is having friends over tomorrow, but they are just watching a movie we got from the library (free) and eating pizza and a couple of things I am making so that is at least reasonable.

Ahh....well...you only become a teenager once and I paid cash for everything so I am going to let it go.

Crunchy*VT*Mom - I am impressed with your streak.

Delighted Butterfly - I like the idea of adding exercising in...I have been running and I feel like I spend less on days when I run.

#438 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM

I've been reading and everyone seems to have done great! I am very motivated to join in on Feb 1st, which also happens to fall on payday!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#439 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM

1/25

smile.gif $5 a prescription, $20 gas, $11.14 random food (well worth it--I bought my mom breakfast and she watched the baby for me today)

frugal things.  Made a good dinner using up leftovers.

#440 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM

January 25

Worked.  No spend.  

#441 of 485 Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post

Delighted Butterfly - I like the idea of adding exercising in...I have been running and I feel like I spend less on days when I run.
Happy Birthday to your son and Happy Birthing Day to you mama!

It's part of my healthy budget/healthy body goal for the year. I'm not doing too well with it. Being sick really threw things for a loop and now I'm in this really weird slump that I'm trying to kick myself out of!

It's slowly starting to warm up some days here in the frozen North so I need to try and go for walks outside on days I'm not motivated to go to the walking track!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#442 of 485 Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 AM

No spending today.  Play day at home, exercise at the YMCA, dinner is prepped, nothing to spend money on.  

A guy is coming in an hour to buy our freezer.  I am going to put that money in our savings fund and that will bring us up to our 20% goal for this paycheck!  I love making a goal.  

love.gif  No spend

January 2 -- irked.gif   $10.50 food at airport  treehugger.gif  soaked beans for dh and kids

January 3 -- love.gif

January 4 -- love.gif

January 5 -- love.gif  

January 7 -- thumb.gif  well baby check up  treehugger.gif  soaking more beans for meals, lowered heat 2 degrees

January 8 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for another day

January 9 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for yet another day

January 13 -- love.gif

January 15 -- love.gif  

January 16 -- love.gif

January 18 -- love.gif

January 19 -- love.gif

January 20 -- love.gif

January 21 -- love.gif

January 22 -- love.gif

January 24 -- irked.gif 23.00 haircut

January 25 -- thumb.gif  grocery shopping 

January 26 -- love.gif

January 27

January 28

January 29

January 30

January 31 

My goals:

Save 20% of Jan 18th paycheck -- done!

Make every dollar matter

#443 of 485 Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM

January 26 and 27

Staying home this weekend.  Finally!  I get 3 no-spend days in a row!  I might get motivated to add in my dude-icons again, but I think they're out until February.  I just don't feel all that positive still.

#444 of 485 Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM

1/26

Today has not been a great day for me.  I work from home, but I've had to work at Starbucks to get away from the demands of my family!

irked.gif $6 Starbucks, $4 Jamba Juice

smile.gif $22.16 at the drugstore (got some good deals on stuff that we needed).

Not really a frugal act, but I did get to do some "free" shopping today.  I had $50 in credit for a daily deal site (from referrals), so I shopped very carefully and got:

swimsuit for DD

rashguard for DS

"grippy socks" for the 11mo old

oil mister for the kitchen (this will eventually save me money over buying those cans of cooking oil spray).

I got free shipping as well so it was $0 out of pocket and those are all things that we need.

Oh, and I did take about 3 minutes this morning before running out the door to throw dinner in the crockpot energy.gif

#445 of 485 Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Key

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif

25. irked.gif knit.gif  Well, DH and I caved, we got McD's for lunch on the way home from DD1's dr appointment shy.gif  The kids were begging for it and we haven't had it in over 6wks b/c of DS2's wheat allergy diagnosis.  It seems he can have wheat in small doses, so we'll be extra diligent in keeping it out of the diet for the next 6wks.  Woohoo, I actually got DD3's mittens cast on and the first one is halfway done!!

26. irked.gif  knit.gif  Another Spend Day.  *sigh*  Went to Costco to pick up DH's new glasses, spent $38 on groceries.  Went to WM and spent $45 on more groceries, 2 $5 movies, and a fitted sheet to put over our boxspring b/c my kids keep ripping the dust ruffle when they climb on my bed.  I finished DD3's pocket inserts AND her mittens thumbsup.gif

15/ 20 No Spend Days

10/ 20 Crafting Days

If I can finish out the next 5 days with No Spends, I will make my goal.

I *WILL NOT* spend $$, I *WILL NOT* spend $$, I *WILL NOT* spend $$.

#446 of 485 Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Key:

No Spend/Paying Bills thumb.gif

Budgeted Spend eyesroll.gif

Unbudgeted Spend irked.gif

Did Something Frugal at Home treehugger.gif

**19/25 No Spend/Budgeted Spend Days**

**$480/$480 Grocery/Med Budget**

December 28: thumb.gif Paid rent, electric, water, adt, credit card and van payment for $1,232. But our van payment is now current so we're current on all bills! 

December 29: thumb.gif We'll be spending the day with the inlaws. 

December 30: thumb.gif Budgeted spend on pizza, we got home from out of town at dinner time and I needed to buy groceries! We also got some snacks for the road but my dad had given us "coke money" for the trip (I had gone to the store for him and he told me to keep the change).

December 31: thumb.gifirked.gif Ah groceries. I spent $150 almost even on food, herbs, meds and wipies. My DH will be going to the other store here in a bit to get our milk and produce. My unbudgeted spend was a pair of sweat pants on sale for the little one who didn't have any (and it's cold enough he needs warm pants around the house). They were $4. I also got 3 packs of toss and go sippy cups for $6.

January 1: thumb.gif Well I was going to send DH to the post office but it's closed, so no spend!

January 2: irked.gif Found out that when my dentist talked me into a "deep clean" it turned me into a periodontal patient and my insurance doesn't cover all periodontal cleanings so I have to go every 3 months to be tortured and can't stop being a periodontal patient until I "get better". Sigh. $30 copay for that today. $9 for stamps. $22 for paper kitchen items (plates/bowls/etc) and tissues because I'm trying to get over the flu and can't keep up with the house. Sigh.

January 3: thumb.gif treehugger.gif I'm still getting over the flu and now DH has gastroenteritis (Lord help us) so another day inside until we have speech therapy at 1:30. We only have $50 left and I'm not touching it! Next pay period will be more challenging because I'll have more $$ available which makes it harder not to spend it! For my frugal thing done at home I made a quadruple batch of steel cut oats for breakfast and divided it into qt sized jars for quick breakfasts later this week. :)

January 4: irked.gif Alright..*shame* I'll put the worst things first: Movie for the boys $10, donuts for breakfast $7 and workbooks from targets dollar section because we haven't been able to afford our home school curriculum yet $4. I also got floss (the string kind since the stick kind I've been using apparently don't work well) $3 and instant potatoes $4. Now to go hide in shame.

January 5:irked.gif treehugger.gif My oldest is autistic and tends to obsess over things. Lately it's been Christmas lights. Tonight is the last night that we have a local light display, it's 5.5 miles of lights. We have been at least 5 times since Thanksgiving. So I took the boys tonight and I don't feel bad. :) $10 So usually we eat oatmeal 3-4 times a week and sweeten it with maple syrup. Well real maple syrup is expensive, so today I cooked 3/4 c frozen berries with 1/4 c water and 2 T maple syrup. Blended it all together and voila, healthier "pink" oatmeal even yummier and cheaper. 

January 6: thumb.gif Staying home today..marriage drama, 30 weeks pregnant, a 2 yo and a 4 yo..I'm worn out. :(

January 7: thumb.gif whistling.gifToday is my birthday and I'm feeling kind of down so I've decided that I want to go to starbucks later and get a tall drink and wander Target by myself for some peace. :) And my mom just told me she wants to send me an "e-gift card" so I don't have to buy it myself so yay! A no spend day! The e-giftcard thing is cool, you can email someone a giftcard and they just print it off and use it like a regular gift card!

January 8: thumb.gif Not much to tell! 

January 9: thumb.gif Staying home today, it's cold and rainy. I think I'll make a big batch of breakfast food later.

January 10: thumb.gif Got some birthday money and got a couple things for myself and the boys but since it's not budgeted I'm not counting it. We also got enough for a year membership to the childrens museum so I'll be buying that on Monday!

January 11: thumb.gif Doing these next few days in advance, we'll be staying home except for church on Sunday and nothing to buy there!

January 12: thumb.gif treehugger.gifA friend gave me her extra bountiful basket! I'm trying to keep my kids out of it so I can make strawberry/carrot muffins for snack. :)

January 13: thumb.gif

January 14: thumb.gif PAYDAY We are so spending money but it'll be budgeted..$465 on bills (cell/internet, insurance, adt), $250 on the gas card, $23 to the army for an overpay, $30 on haircuts for the kids, $45 on diapers, $55 on cloth pull ups, $80 for a years worth of laundry soap, $20 for school stuff, $70 savings for Christmas, $185 in our savings jar and $21 in the kids savings jar. Phew. I also have to go grocery shopping but I'll do that later this week. Speaking of which, I've increased our food budget so we can buy some meat in bulk.

January 15:irked.gif I'm gonna take a spend day today. I have to get a new tea kettle. We drink hot beverages a lot. I drink hot lemon water in the mornings and hot chocolate at night (I get munchies and hot chocolate is so much cheaper than buying snack food!), DH makes instant coffee probably daily. I've been using a small pan but it's always dirty from cooking and I may sound lazy but when I want hot water I just want hot water, lol. I will go and just get that and also get our gas money on a gift card. I'm also irritated because I accidentally put twice the amount I was supposed to in our Xmas fund and it's ING so I can't transfer half of it back out until the 22nd. We're supposed to be going to the childrens museum in Austin but I don't know if the money will be there yet now thanks to my irresponsibility. Sigh. **Add to this DH just told me I had to order him a new birth certificate or he can lose his security clearance so that's $30. Dang it.* So now I'm not paying a couple things until that one payment to ING comes back in a week. Gah.

January 16: thumb.gif No more spending until I can fix the ING money issue, not even budgeted! Although I just remembered that I took out $100 to get the van fixed (we already bought the part) so I may just put that back in the bank until the other issue gets fixed then take the van in. The van can certainly wait, it's not emergent.  .

January 17: irked.gif About $5 for onions, garlic and ziplock bags for meat mixes.

January 18: irked.gif I was craving PB Captain crunch for dinner. I know, I know, horrible. $11 for cereal. Tomorrow I pledge to have a no spend day.

January 19: irked.gif $10. No excuses, we had coupons for kids meals and my son asked for a hamburger for dinner so I dug them out. The $10 was for DH and I.

January 20: treehugger.gif irked.gif $12 for food and $50 for redbox..wth? I guess that explains why I found 3 redbox movies in DHs truck that he was supposed to take back and apparently never did. Ugh. Good thing we weren't overdrafted but that was so not in the budget. I'm pretty irate with him and with myself for being lazy about food lately. I'm struggling because I'm 7 months pregnant and late pregnancy fatigue has hit me HARD. I vow not to buy food again until payday, we won't starve I'll just have to ration the fruit for the boys. But I got the chicken mix in the freezer and 30 cups of broth.

January 21: treehugger.gif thumb.gif Made some meat mix.g 

January 22: treehugger.gif irked.gif $8 for groceries..eggs, cheese, etc. Finished the last of the meat mix and got it in the freezer!

January 23: treehugger.gif thumb.gif Made a big batch of steel cut oats!

January 24: irked.gif

January 25: irked.gif

January 26: irked.gif

January 27:thumb.gif

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#447 of 485 Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 AM

I use a diva cup.  I boil it to disinfect it.  I forgot about it while it was on the stove. 

Learn from my mistake:  diva cups do catch on fire and they are made of rubber.  It was not pretty.  blush.gif

So that was totally an unneccessary expense.  I have to buy another one.  irked.gif

Quote:

My Goal = 15 thumb.gif No-Spend days

My progress = 20 No-spend day so far  joy.gif

01..  $258 cross-country ski club for the kids

02..  thumb.gif

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  $40.09  Date Night

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  thumb.gif

10..  thumb.gif

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

16..  $6 McDonald's

17..  $8 Buddhism book for Mothers

18..  thumb.gif

19..  $19 Music

20..  $26 stuffed elephant

21   thumb.gif

22   thumb.gif

23   thumb.gif

24   thumb.gif

25   thumb.gif

26  thumb.gif

27  $56 Diva cup

#448 of 485 Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I use a diva cup.  I boil it to disinfect it.  I forgot about it while it was on the stove. 

Learn from my mistake:  diva cups do catch on fire and they are made of rubber.  It was not pretty.  blush.gif

So that was totally an unneccessary expense.  I have to buy another one.  irked.gif

yikes2.gif I've done that before, but it's never caught on fire!!!! I had no idea that could happen! What a frightening way to find out. I'm sorry for the unnecessary expense :-(

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#449 of 485 Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM

love.gif  No spend

January 3 -- love.gif

January 4 -- love.gif

January 5 -- love.gif  

January 13 -- love.gif

January 15 -- love.gif  

January 16 -- love.gif

January 18 -- love.gif

January 19 -- love.gif

January 20 -- love.gif

January 21 -- love.gif

January 22 -- love.gif

January 24 -- irked.gif 23.00 haircut

January 25 -- thumb.gif  grocery shopping 

January 26 -- love.gif

January 27 -- love.gif

January 28

January 29

January 30

January 31 

My goals:

Save 20% of Jan 18th paycheck -- done!

Make every dollar matter

#450 of 485 Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Well, I guess I need to be even more commited to pinching those pennies.  I just found out today that I may or may not be losing one of my part time jobs dizzy.gif

1/27

smile.gif Spent $1.75 on a cup of coffee so I could work from the bagel shop instead of home (I noticed that they offer $1 coffee if you bring in any travel mug so next time I will do that).  Also, DH took me out for lunch (first "date" we've had in months). It was around $35 but I think we should have a date at least once a month!  We also picked up a few things at the grocery store on the way home--about $22.

frugal act--I am making broccoli cheese soup for dinner using the stalks of the broccoli that no one wants to eat (and we grew the broccoli ourselves).  I didn't have to buy a Sunday paper because someone gave me theirs at the bagel shop and it had 3 coupon inserts instead of 1.  Yay. I am hoping to bake some muffins tonight for the kids lunches.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page