January No Spend Challenge~ Ringing in the New Year with $$ in our Pockets!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 485 Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

Re: Oats.. Aren't they full of gluten? I've heard of gluten free oats but I haven't been able to find them (even in health food stores).

I can get certified GF oats by Bob's Red Mill and they aren't too expensive.

#182 of 485 Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM

1/8 irked.gif $3.09 for drinks at the gas station.  I have a nasty cold and I really wanted a big soda with lots of ice.

Frugal things I did today: cut up a worn out pair of sweatpants to make more hankies.  We all have colds and we are going through tons of kleenex.  Wrote down the sale items and coupon matchups for the grocery store.

#183 of 485 Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

jammin.gifcarrot.gif= Excellent

oops.gif / shrug.gif = Not so good

dizzy.gif / surrender.gifduh.gif= Very, very bad

12.31  carrot.gif  Errand day.  Groceries/ eat out= $55/ $18/ $28  oops.gif  Forgot to record library fines--  22 DOLLARS!

1.1  jammin.gif  No spend.  Staying home.  Nothing's open.  But I'm taking it anyway.

1.2  carrot.gif Happy Veggie for now, because we kept snack and treat purchases to a minimum.  Azure Standard order.  Co-op stop.  

1.3  shrug.gif  Stop at Burgerville for dd2--she ate 5 fries, I ate a burger and fries.  Oh well.  DH took dd1 out for a taco.  $20

1.4  shrug.gif  Just groceries, but not sure how I'm doing so far.  

1.5 jammin.gif  No spend.  Stayed home.

1.6  duh.gif  Took away my reward for a no-spend because 1/2 of a stewed chicken was wasted, entirely avoidable.  

1.7 carrot.gif Hopefully the start to a better week. Added $7 to the FUNfund with the girls' leftover treat budget for the week.  Making bread; made my pot of smoky-bacon-y soupy beans.

1.8  carrot.gifEven though this was a big spend day, I'm giving myself this Happy Carrot because I stuck to the lists, and the girls stuck to their weekly treat allowance.  All spending was planned, and I managed to get out of Trader Joe's under $35.  New riding boots-- just a bit more expensive than the refund from December's cancelled classes.  All kinds of colored and lined paper from the "homeschool store".  Only one entirely unplanned but not unwelcome purchase-- a new sudoku book for the girls to share, $6.

Basic groceries= $373

Snacks and treats and eating out= $92.00

Groceries for homemade treats and celebrations= $33

=$498.00/ $920 for 5 weeks ending Sunday, 2.3

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#184 of 485 Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Wednesday 9th January:

$128.40 on budgeted groceries thumb.gif

= $66.67 remaining for groceries this week and it's only Wednesday.

yikes2.gif

What I did today to save money:

Everything I bought today, barring kids toothpaste, adult toothpaste, soap and eggs was at 50% off it's original retail price, which where I live is kind of big (we don't have coupon deals and no greater discounts than 50% are applied). They weren't all items that we need RIGHT NOW, but things we would inevitably end up buying in 2 weeks time at full price anyway, so why not get them cheaper.. I've got a month's worth of a few different items now. My pantry essentially was *empty* and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. All we had left was cocoa, tea, coffee, honey and flour.. Everything else had been consumed. So I'm basically re-stocking the pantry.. Now we have tuna, baked beans, 5 minute pasta (for when I'm ravenous at midnight), sparkling mineral water, different kinds of juice, cereal, 3 doz pastured eggs & dried beans. Obviously I still need to add to that, but it sure beats an empty pantry.

I wrote out a meal plan for next month (starting on the 15th of January - pay day) and we might (fingers crossed) be able to do it for $1000 or less for the entire month. Our biggest killer is pastured milk @ $36 for 8 quarts every week, but I'm not budging on that one just yet.

I decided to just stick with the crappy green sandals until they tear. Yeah, it's not an attractive look (even dh said to get rid of them) but I've come to the conclusion that I could care less right now about how fashionable I looked. orngtongue.gif I'd rather keep that $10 for my dd's sandals - She has outgrown her current ones and her toes are sticking out, which is not safe for little feet. So I'll be buying her some sandals tomorrow. They'll probably cost $20 (usual going price).

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#185 of 485 Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunebugsMom View Post

I can get certified GF oats by Bob's Red Mill and they aren't too expensive.

Thanks so much! I was able to find them online. yummy.gif

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#186 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Bummer, we have a loose shingle on the roof that needs to be repaired.  Our house is very tall (3 stories) and neither dh or I are comfortable going out on the steep slope to repair the shingle.  The roofer down the street will fix it and clean out the gutters while he is up there for $150.  Not bad for a house repair.  Otherwise, the roof is in decent shape and should be fine till we sell the house.  

On the bright side, I have been delaying our grocery shopping so long that we still have $250 in the budget for food.  If I pay the roofer $150 and spend $100 on food, we will maintain our 50% savings plan this pay period.  We only have 10 days till our next paycheck, so $100 for food should be plenty.  I have a decent amount in the pantry, but will need to get creative to stretch the food.  We are moving in 90 days, so this is a good opportunity to eat up all the staples in the pantry.  

No spending today.  We are going to eat at home and play at the playground this afternoon. 

And someone kick me in the pants!  I have $70 worth of Christmas stuff to return and I keep putting it off.  Lame!

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Budgeted spend

irked.gif   Unbudgeted Spend

treehugger.gif  Do something frugal at home

January 1 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  lowered temperature on hot water heater

January 2 -- irked.gif   $10.50 food at airport  treehugger.gif  soaked beans for dh and kids

January 3 -- love.gif

January 4 -- love.gif

January 5 -- love.gif  

January 6 -- irked.gif  $3 tea at airport

January 7 -- thumb.gif  well baby check up  treehugger.gif  soaking more beans for meals, lowered heat 2 degrees

January 8 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for another day

January 9 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for yet another day

January 10

January 11

January 12

January 13

January 14

My goals:

Save 50% of Jan 4th paycheck -- done!

Save 20% of Jan 18th paycheck

Do something frugal every day

Make every dollar matter

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#187 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Not going anywhere.  Not buying anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

My Goal = 15 thumb.gif No-Spend days

My progress = 7 No-spend day so far

01..  $258 lessons for the kids

02..  thumb.gif

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  $40.09  Date Night

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  thumb.gif

#188 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Key:

No Spend/Paying Bills thumb.gif

Budgeted Spend eyesroll.gif

Unbudgeted Spend irked.gif

Did Something Frugal at Home treehugger.gif

**10/25 No Spend/Budgeted Spend Days**

**$180/$180 Grocery/Med Budget**

December 28: thumb.gif Paid rent, electric, water, adt, credit card and van payment for $1,232. But our van payment is now current so we're current on all bills! 

December 29: thumb.gif We'll be spending the day with the inlaws. 

December 30: thumb.gif Budgeted spend on pizza, we got home from out of town at dinner time and I needed to buy groceries! We also got some snacks for the road but my dad had given us "coke money" for the trip (I had gone to the store for him and he told me to keep the change).

December 31: thumb.gifirked.gif Ah groceries. I spent $150 almost even on food, herbs, meds and wipies. My DH will be going to the other store here in a bit to get our milk and produce. My unbudgeted spend was a pair of sweat pants on sale for the little one who didn't have any (and it's cold enough he needs warm pants around the house). They were $4. I also got 3 packs of toss and go sippy cups for $6.

January 1: thumb.gif Well I was going to send DH to the post office but it's closed, so no spend!

January 2: irked.gif Found out that when my dentist talked me into a "deep clean" it turned me into a periodontal patient and my insurance doesn't cover all periodontal cleanings so I have to go every 3 months to be tortured and can't stop being a periodontal patient until I "get better". Sigh. $30 copay for that today. $9 for stamps. $22 for paper kitchen items (plates/bowls/etc) and tissues because I'm trying to get over the flu and can't keep up with the house. Sigh.

January 3: thumb.gif treehugger.gif I'm still getting over the flu and now DH has gastroenteritis (Lord help us) so another day inside until we have speech therapy at 1:30. We only have $50 left and I'm not touching it! Next pay period will be more challenging because I'll have more $$ available which makes it harder not to spend it! For my frugal thing done at home I made a quadruple batch of steel cut oats for breakfast and divided it into qt sized jars for quick breakfasts later this week. :)

January 4: irked.gif Alright..*shame* I'll put the worst things first: Movie for the boys $10, donuts for breakfast $7 and workbooks from targets dollar section because we haven't been able to afford our home school curriculum yet $4. I also got floss (the string kind since the stick kind I've been using apparently don't work well) $3 and instant potatoes $4. Now to go hide in shame.

January 5:irked.gif treehugger.gif My oldest is autistic and tends to obsess over things. Lately it's been Christmas lights. Tonight is the last night that we have a local light display, it's 5.5 miles of lights. We have been at least 5 times since Thanksgiving. So I took the boys tonight and I don't feel bad. :) $10 So usually we eat oatmeal 3-4 times a week and sweeten it with maple syrup. Well real maple syrup is expensive, so today I cooked 3/4 c frozen berries with 1/4 c water and 2 T maple syrup. Blended it all together and voila, healthier "pink" oatmeal even yummier and cheaper. 

January 6: thumb.gif Staying home today..marriage drama, 30 weeks pregnant, a 2 yo and a 4 yo..I'm worn out. :(

January 7: thumb.gif whistling.gifToday is my birthday and I'm feeling kind of down so I've decided that I want to go to starbucks later and get a tall drink and wander Target by myself for some peace. :) And my mom just told me she wants to send me an "e-gift card" so I don't have to buy it myself so yay! A no spend day! The e-giftcard thing is cool, you can email someone a giftcard and they just print it off and use it like a regular gift card!

January 8: thumb.gif Not much to tell! 

January 9: thumb.gif Staying home today, it's cold and rainy. I think I'll make a big batch of breakfast food later.

January 10:

January 11:

January 12:

January 13:

January 14:

January 15:

January 16:

January 17:

January 18:

January 19:

January 20:

January 21:

January 22:

January 23:

January 24:

January 25:

January 26:

January 27:

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#189 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Not a good day yesterday, but at least everything I spent came out of our "envelopes" (pre-funded budget categories) and not the bank account! 

• $20 on shoes (that didn't fit, so I have to return them, so I'm not going to count them against me today)
  • $15 on pizza for dinner
  • $40 on the organizing supplies I was so proud of not buying the other day blush.gif. Recovering my manila folders didn't work--the scrapbook paper started peeling off, they were all curved because of the glue, etc. My "control center" is in full view in my kitchen, which I'm trying hard to keep clean and neat. It means a lot to me to have a nice desk area in there, so I'm OK (and DH is OK) with me spending the money. The big honking wooden thing is gorgeous, but it just doesn't fit, so it will go back to Marshall's today. 

On the upside, the sneakers I bought the other day are DD7's first lace-up shoes, and she learned how to tie her shoes with just two lessons. She's VERY proud of herself, and the Hello Kitty sneakers are very cute, so I'll consider that $15 well spent. 

Today I'll probably buy some shoes online because I still need them, and the adorable but cheap Kmart shoes aren't going to work. More money, but better quality. I also need to pay $2 in library fines so I don't get blocked. We're eating in all day, though: Mexican-style chicken stew for dinner--a great way to use cheap chicken drumsticks!

And I can at least say that we went through B&N and Michael's tonight (the girls had gift cards) and I didn't buy anything, even though I was starting to get a low blood sugar and there was a box of Milk Duds staring me in the face at the register in Michael's. Instead I came home and made up a new batch of trail mix and ate that (too much of that, actually). However, had it been a Milky Way Dark bar, I don't think I would have made it. Hooray for undesirable candy! lol.gif

Key: 

No frivolous/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

12/30: thumb.gif

12/31: irked.gif

1/1: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/2: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/3: irked.gif $15 at Starbucks

1/4: yummy.gif irked.gif $9 in library fines 

1/5: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/6: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/7: yummy.gif irked.gif $60 on clothes, $15 on sneakers, and $20 on desk organizer

1/8: irked.gif $40 on desk organizing supplies, $15 on pizza for dinner

1/9: yummy.gif irked.gif $42 on black loafers, $2 library fine

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#190 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM

#191 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM

1/9 smile.gif budgeted spending on groceries.  I am so glad I went to the farmer's outlet store.  I spent $9.54 for carrots, bananas, butternut squash, red potatoes, pears, garlic, tangerines, an onion, and yams!  granted, not large amounts of any of those things, but still.  Definitely worth the extra trip.

frugal things I did today: hung the diapers out on the line to dry.  made 2 big pitchers of lemonade from lemons on our tree. got a big bag of used cloth diapers from a friend.  and I am about to finish knitting a pair of wristwarmers for DD.

#192 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie.lee View Post

DH bought a new digital thermostat and installed it a few days ago.  We had the old one set at 70 degrees and it was keeping our house at nearly 80 degrees!  We just didn't realize it was so warm and that the thermostat was so off.  We have the new thermostat set at 69 degrees and we hope that our electric bill decreases a lot.

wow, I think you will see a big savings!

#193 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM

thumb.gif No spending     winky.gif  Budgeted spending    joy.gifDid something to save $ or make extra $       hang.gif  Hung clothes on the line

January 

01  thumb.gif

02  winky.gif Groceries greensad.gif Bought lunch $5.31

03  greensad.gif Bought lunch out $5.31

04  winky.gif Filled my tank with gas, paid for my DD's school sport fee,   greensad.gif bought lunch $6.50, went out for dinner with a gift card DH won but went over by $35@

05  joy.gifExchanged a Christmas gift, for bras that I was in dire need of, found on clearance $5 each I got 4!!!! greensad.gif Bought Chinese $20

06   thumb.gif

07   winky.gif  Bought a few things to make lunches during my lunch hour, also bought my lunch $6 greensad.gif

08    thumb.gif  joy.gif  Started reading DR, sat down to go through January spending & make some changes!  

09   winky.gif Bought groceries

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#194 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutres

1.  irked.gif  Not exactly how I wanted to start the year/ month, but all well.  Another $200 spent at Home Depot for more shelving for my kids' rooms, $40 spent at the grocery store while we continue to wrap our head around the food allergies.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif  $$ bought DDs's birthday cake and ice cream for DS2.  Blew up the birth pool, gathered birth supplies, & put crib together.

6.  irked.gif  $75 at Home Depot.  Shelves are working out so well in the kids' rooms, DH and I decided to put some in our room.  Making split pea soup for after birth from a ham bone my mom saved.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Frugal accomplishments for today:  started cutting out cloth wipes to sew for new baby, packed all our snacks and brought our water bottles to the 3hr meeting today that I had to take the kids w/ me to, cooked dinner at home even though I was exhausted after my meeting, including greens from our garden we have in a low tunnel, pulled out next size up clothes from storage for DD2 and DD3 (still need to go through DD3's drawers to pull out too small clothing, hopefully tomorrow)

8.  thumb.gif  $17 spent at grocery store for milk, pasta, and a jar of sauce (not frugal, I usually make my own sauce, but hey, we didn't eat out winky.gif).  Frugal accomplishments for today:  went through DD3's clothes, separated all of the clothes I've pulled from the drawers the last few weeks and started a donation bag, raked half my front yard and moved the leaves into the garden beds, dug a trench and buried 5 gallons of kitchen scraps in one of the beds, brought our change to the coinstar machine and got an amazon gift card.

9.  thumb.gif  $6 on an amazon grocery order for soy free chocolate chips, sorghum flour, and chia seeds.  Frugal accomplishments for today: used amazon gift card from yesterday for majority of amazon order, cut DS2's hair, ate all meals and snacks out of the pantry/ freezer

7/ 20 No Spend Days

1/ 20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#195 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM

double post.

weird.

#196 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM

jammin.gifcarrot.gif= Excellent

oops.gif / shrug.gif = Not so good

dizzy.gif / surrender.gifduh.gif= Very, very bad

12.31  carrot.gif  Errand day.  Groceries/ eat out= $55/ $18/ $28  oops.gif  Forgot to record library fines--  22 DOLLARS!

1.1  jammin.gif  No spend.  Staying home.  Nothing's open.  But I'm taking it anyway.

1.2  carrot.gif Happy Veggie for now, because we kept snack and treat purchases to a minimum.  Azure Standard order.  Co-op stop.  

1.3  shrug.gif  Stop at Burgerville for dd2--she ate 5 fries, I ate a burger and fries.  Oh well.  DH took dd1 out for a taco.  $20

1.4  shrug.gif  Just groceries, but not sure how I'm doing so far.  

1.5 jammin.gif  No spend.  Stayed home.

1.6  duh.gif  Took away my reward for a no-spend because 1/2 of a stewed chicken was wasted, entirely avoidable.  

1.7 carrot.gif Hopefully the start to a better week. Added $7 to the FUNfund with the girls' leftover treat budget for the week.  Making bread; made my pot of smoky-bacon-y soupy beans.

1.8  carrot.gifEven though this was a big spend day, I'm giving myself this Happy Carrot because I stuck to the lists, and the girls stuck to their weekly treat allowance.  Only one entirely unplanned but not unwelcome purchase-- a new sudoku book for the girls to share, $6.

1.9  shrug.gif  We keep adding groceries, either because we forgot or we need to stop someplace else for something minor.  Still early in the month, so I'm not sure how we are doing.  Basic groceries anyway, and only $30, but I'm a little annoyed that dh bought dd's fav organic bread at a store where it's $2 more per loaf--and he bought 3!!!   At least we have bread, but I reminded him that if we have to buy it there, to please only get one loaf.  Trying out homemade yogurt again, hopefully I'll get this batch spot on--or at least better than the last!

Possibly good news-- we are applying to refinance the loan on our house in town we have for rent.  IF we qualify, it might lower our monthly payments by $150.  I hate to mention it before the deal is done, but I'm feeling hopeful.

Basic groceries= $403

Snacks and treats and eating out= $92.00

Groceries for homemade treats and celebrations= $33

=$528.00/ $920 for 5 weeks ending Sunday, 2.3

#197 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Possibly good news-- we are applying to refinance the loan on our house in town we have for rent.  IF we qualify, it might lower our monthly payments by $150.  I hate to mention it before the deal is done, but I'm feeling hopeful.

praying.gif Best of luck to you, mama! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunebugsMom View Post
frugal things I did today: hung the diapers out on the line to dry.  made 2 big pitchers of lemonade from lemons on our tree. got a big bag of used cloth diapers from a friend.  and I am about to finish knitting a pair of wristwarmers for DD.

I am so jealous of your lemons. We want fruit trees here so badly, but our yard is full of giant oak trees. We're lucky we can get even our small raised-bed garden to grow!

Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

And someone kick me in the pants!  I have $70 worth of Christmas stuff to return and I keep putting it off.  Lame!

Right there with you...

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#198 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

January 9: thumb.gif Staying home today, it's cold and rainy. I think I'll make a big batch of breakfast food later.

Oh, you reminded me that I need to get some baked oatmeal going!

#199 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post

Oh, you reminded me that I need to get some baked oatmeal going!

Glad to be helpful! I never did get around to it but I have steel cut oats made in the fridge already.

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#200 of 485 Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I'm joining late but decided that I would really like to challenge myself to spend less and save more! 

a. Who you are: I'm delightedbutterfly, a SAHM to two beautiful girls and I do a bit of PT after school daycare. We live in North Western Canada where it's COLD and snowy 8+ months of the year. This is a recent change for us as we just moved here. Prior to this we were lucky if we saw snow 2 days a year. But we saw way more rain than we would have liked ;) We are away from family, in a new place, in a new house with new weather. So we've put out a lot of money last year and I'm hoping now that we have a decent base of winter gear and all the moving costs done with that we will be able to save a lot more this year. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): This year we'd like to save aggressively. Partly for retirement and partly for a couple vacations we'd like to take before thinking about expanding our family. Our longer term goal is to have a healthy savings account and be able to enjoy life on our terms a bit more. And our long long term goal is to be able to retire comfortably.

c. How you plan to get there: We have pretty much everything we need for a comfortable life. I'd like to focus on saving more and spending less. I know I will still buy the odd extra we don't need but I'd like to continue to remind myself more often that we can do without. Last year I did pretty well at not bringing anything into the house unless I knew exactly where it's "place" was going to be, or walking away from said item until I did know the place and telling myself that if it was meant to be it would still be there when I went back. I'd like to continue this on a more ruthless path as well as do another declutter now that we've moved and we're realizing that some items do not fit the new house.

I'm going to break it down by week and learn my budget/goals as I go as I haven't really budgeted in the past, I've always just "made" everything work somehow.

Week 1 of 2013 (Jan 1-5). One thumb.gif this week!

Spent: $140 on gas ($50 of this was because of a 5 hour round day trip to pick up a friend of DH's from the airport. We combined a Costco trip with this as that is where our nearest Costco is)

$260 on groceries ($220 at Costco)

$167 on eating out (we had family in town that week and we celebrated DH's birthday a couple days early with them by an expensive pizza take out, and then 2x on the day trip)

$154 on stuff (some needed and some not, my mom likes to shop and it was their first trip to visit us duck.gif)

thumb.gif = No Spend  smile.gif = Groceries/Gas/Ok spending  duck.gif= Unnecessary spending  jog.gif = Exercised  yummy.gif = Ate all meals at home

Week 2 of 2013 (Jan 6-12)

Jan 6: $49.76 on groceries and $44.55 on stuff smile.gifyummy.gifduck.gif

Jan 7: thumb.gif yummy.gif

Jan 8: $45.88 on groceries, mainly stuff for DH's birthday dinner and dessert smile.gif and $27.89 on dog food and ear cleaner smile.gif jog.gifyummy.gif

Jan 9: thumb.gif yummy.gif <---- I was REALLY tempted to take the kids + daycare child to McD's for snack after school and a play as it was too cold for outside play and it's our only indoor play place, but we stayed away and I felt really really happy I didn't bend to temptation!

$95.88/$200 weekly grocery budget

$44.55/$?? weekly stuff budget

$0/$?? weekly gas budget

$0/$?? weekly eating out budget (would like this to be $50 a week to start, with a goal of $100 a month but that could be unrealistic)

$27.89/$50 monthly dog budget

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#201 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 AM

Thursday 10th January

No spend day smile.gif orngbiggrin.gif smile.gif

$66.67 remaining for groceries this week.

What I did today to save money:

Stayed at home and ate leftovers for lunch and dinner

Put a toy aside, ready for return. I usually don't like to return presents given to the kids and while I'm grateful for the gesture, the toy they received is essentially noisy, useless crap. Thank goodness we did not take it out of the box! I'll be returning it tomorrow for credit and buying dd her new sandals with the credit (i.e something useful). So I'm able to delay that cranky face under the date for a little bit longer now..

#202 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 AM

Tried to multi-quote several people, but MDC is not cooperating with me this morning.

So I'll fast reply -- Good luck no-spenders!!! 

#203 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 AM

a. Who you are: I'm a SSAHM of a very busy 4 year old boy. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and: I really want to get out from under the debt on my credit cards. I'm not comfortable to go into details, but the amount I owe is about equivalent to 2/3 of my yearly income.

c. How you plan to get there: Really going back to basics. Keeping a budget and putting every found penny into wiping out the debt. We eat home-cooked meals, we use public transit and bike to get around. We take advantage of all the no-cost arts and entertainment in our city. We build relationships that aren't dependent on spending money together.

#204 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Grocery shopping today.  Food!   Glorious food!!!   I spent $130 which was high.  The electricity bill came in under budget, so it is all working out.  And we have food!  I bought good stuff, nothing prepared -- no crackers, no bread....just produce, milk, eggs, meat and cheese (and one box of jello innocent.gif for my kids who behaved beautifully while shopping).  Goodness, but it does cost a bit to feed 6 people.  

Now that we have a fridgeful, I have to keep cooking.  I have a menu planned for the next 10 days and we should be able to squeak it out till our next paycheck on the 18th without reducing our hardcore savings rate.  

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Budgeted spend

irked.gif   Unbudgeted Spend

treehugger.gif  Do something frugal at home

January 1 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  lowered temperature on hot water heater

January 2 -- irked.gif   $10.50 food at airport  treehugger.gif  soaked beans for dh and kids

January 3 -- love.gif

January 4 -- love.gif

January 5 -- love.gif  

January 6 -- irked.gif  $3 tea at airport

January 7 -- thumb.gif  well baby check up  treehugger.gif  soaking more beans for meals, lowered heat 2 degrees

January 8 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for another day

January 9 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for yet another day

January 10 -- thumb.gif  grocery shopping 

January 11

January 12

January 13

January 14

My goals:

Save 50% of Jan 4th paycheck -- done!

Save 20% of Jan 18th paycheck

Do something frugal every day

Make every dollar matter

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#205 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedbutterfly View Post

thumb.gif = No Spend  smile.gif = Groceries/Gas/Ok spending  duck.gif= Unnecessary spending  jog.gif = Exercised  yummy.gif = Ate all meals at home

Week 2 of 2013 (Jan 6-12)

Jan 6: $49.76 on groceries and $44.55 on stuff smile.gifyummy.gifduck.gif

Jan 7: thumb.gif yummy.gif

Jan 8: $45.88 on groceries, mainly stuff for DH's birthday dinner and dessert smile.gif and $27.89 on dog food and ear cleaner smile.gif jog.gifyummy.gif

Jan 9: thumb.gif yummy.gif <---- I was REALLY tempted to take the kids + daycare child to McD's for snack after school and a play as it was too cold for outside play and it's our only indoor play place, but we stayed away and I felt really really happy I didn't bend to temptation!

Jan 10: smile.gif Spent $170 on "stuff" but it was all on my list of needed items. $100 of it was in Gift Cards though that we received from Christmas and went to stuff to fuel my goals of healthy body and healthy finances. duck.gifDH had some time between going to the office and going out to do his work and he brought the girls home breakfast for $10.97. Still need to buy some more groceries today and pay the insurance for DD2's drop in gymnastics play. But after that we're going to go exercise at the free indoor walking track... DH got paid today so I also need to pay bills and move money around for automatic withdrawls... Payday's are always expensive it seems...

$95.88/$200 weekly grocery budget

$114.55/$?? weekly stuff budget

$0/$?? weekly gas budget

$10.97/$?? weekly eating out budget (would like this to be $50 a week to start, with a goal of $100 a month but that could be unrealistic)

$27.89/$50 monthly dog budget

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#206 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

My Goal = 15 thumb.gif No-Spend days

My progress = 8 No-spend day so far

01..  $258 lessons for the kids

02..  thumb.gif

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  $40.09  Date Night

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  thumb.gif

10..  thumb.gif

#207 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM

January Spending. 

NO SPEND - joy.gif

Budgeted Spending - thumb.gif

Unquieted Spending - eyesroll.gif

Dec 29 - thumb.gif

Dec 30- joy.gif

Dec 31 - thumb.gif

Jan 1- eyesroll.gif   

Jan 2 - thumb.gif

Jan 3 - thumb.gif

Jan 4- thumb.gif

Jan 5 - eyesroll.gif

Jan 6 - eyesroll.gif

Jan 7- thumb.gif

Jan 8 - thumb.gif

Jan 9- eyesroll.gif

Tuesday (the 8th), I took the dog to the groomer, though I'm proud to say I found a  better and CHEEPER groomer/dog day care. My dog is much happier there getting to play with other dogs until his bath, then not being in a cage after wards. Spent $45 on that (a STEAL for a giant breed dog). Then spent the whole day out with my son making good use of our Children's museum and zoo memberships (they are across the parking log from each other here). I only spent $2 on a cup of tea. Go me and packing a lunch and snacks!!! 

The 9th, wasn't so good. Having trouble on my aquaponics set up and went out to buy a book on it. Ended up buying another gardening book, and a book and toy for my son (at least those were on clearance 2whistle.gif). Ended up being hungry and spend $16 on lunch for me and DH. DS was too tired to eat so we didn't get him anything. Also got dog food (switched to a slightly less expensive variety). Today should FINALLY be a no spend day. Going to the library. Have beans soaking and chicken defrosting for tacos tonight. Saving money by shredding our own cheese and making our own beans. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#208 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM

#209 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutres

1.  irked.gif  Not exactly how I wanted to start the year/ month, but all well.  Another $200 spent at Home Depot for more shelving for my kids' rooms, $40 spent at the grocery store while we continue to wrap our head around the food allergies.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif  $$ bought DDs's birthday cake and ice cream for DS2.  Blew up the birth pool, gathered birth supplies, & put crib together.

6.  irked.gif  $75 at Home Depot.  Shelves are working out so well in the kids' rooms, DH and I decided to put some in our room.  Making split pea soup for after birth from a ham bone my mom saved.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Frugal accomplishments for today:  started cutting out cloth wipes to sew for new baby, packed all our snacks and brought our water bottles to the 3hr meeting today that I had to take the kids w/ me to, cooked dinner at home even though I was exhausted after my meeting, including greens from our garden we have in a low tunnel, pulled out next size up clothes from storage for DD2 and DD3 (still need to go through DD3's drawers to pull out too small clothing, hopefully tomorrow)

8.  thumb.gif  $17 spent at grocery store for milk, pasta, and a jar of sauce (not frugal, I usually make my own sauce, but hey, we didn't eat out winky.gif).  Frugal accomplishments for today:  went through DD3's clothes, separated all of the clothes I've pulled from the drawers the last few weeks and started a donation bag, raked half my front yard and moved the leaves into the garden beds, dug a trench and buried 5 gallons of kitchen scraps in one of the beds, brought our change to the coinstar machine and got an amazon gift card.

9.  thumb.gif  $6 on an amazon grocery order for soy free chocolate chips, sorghum flour, and chia seeds.  Frugal accomplishments for today: used amazon gift card from yesterday for majority of amazon order, cut DS2's hair, ate all meals and snacks out of the pantry/ freezer

10. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Planned food shopping list for Saturday, cut cloth wipes from upcycled flannel sheet and towels, DH picked up our bulk foods co-op order last night so I was able to make a loaf of gluten-free bread  for lunch and muffins for breakfast, also eating dinner at home, started taxes, opened windows in house to get some fresh air in (we're in a warm streak), took the end of the loaf of bread I made and set it aside to make gluten free bread crumbs

8/ 20 No Spend Days

2/ 20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#210 of 485 Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Key:

No Spend/Paying Bills thumb.gif

Budgeted Spend eyesroll.gif

Unbudgeted Spend irked.gif

Did Something Frugal at Home treehugger.gif

**11/25 No Spend/Budgeted Spend Days**

**$180/$180 Grocery/Med Budget**

December 28: thumb.gif Paid rent, electric, water, adt, credit card and van payment for $1,232. But our van payment is now current so we're current on all bills! 

December 29: thumb.gif We'll be spending the day with the inlaws. 

December 30: thumb.gif Budgeted spend on pizza, we got home from out of town at dinner time and I needed to buy groceries! We also got some snacks for the road but my dad had given us "coke money" for the trip (I had gone to the store for him and he told me to keep the change).

December 31: thumb.gifirked.gif Ah groceries. I spent $150 almost even on food, herbs, meds and wipies. My DH will be going to the other store here in a bit to get our milk and produce. My unbudgeted spend was a pair of sweat pants on sale for the little one who didn't have any (and it's cold enough he needs warm pants around the house). They were $4. I also got 3 packs of toss and go sippy cups for $6.

January 1: thumb.gif Well I was going to send DH to the post office but it's closed, so no spend!

January 2: irked.gif Found out that when my dentist talked me into a "deep clean" it turned me into a periodontal patient and my insurance doesn't cover all periodontal cleanings so I have to go every 3 months to be tortured and can't stop being a periodontal patient until I "get better". Sigh. $30 copay for that today. $9 for stamps. $22 for paper kitchen items (plates/bowls/etc) and tissues because I'm trying to get over the flu and can't keep up with the house. Sigh.

January 3: thumb.gif treehugger.gif I'm still getting over the flu and now DH has gastroenteritis (Lord help us) so another day inside until we have speech therapy at 1:30. We only have $50 left and I'm not touching it! Next pay period will be more challenging because I'll have more $$ available which makes it harder not to spend it! For my frugal thing done at home I made a quadruple batch of steel cut oats for breakfast and divided it into qt sized jars for quick breakfasts later this week. :)

January 4: irked.gif Alright..*shame* I'll put the worst things first: Movie for the boys $10, donuts for breakfast $7 and workbooks from targets dollar section because we haven't been able to afford our home school curriculum yet $4. I also got floss (the string kind since the stick kind I've been using apparently don't work well) $3 and instant potatoes $4. Now to go hide in shame.

January 5:irked.gif treehugger.gif My oldest is autistic and tends to obsess over things. Lately it's been Christmas lights. Tonight is the last night that we have a local light display, it's 5.5 miles of lights. We have been at least 5 times since Thanksgiving. So I took the boys tonight and I don't feel bad. :) $10 So usually we eat oatmeal 3-4 times a week and sweeten it with maple syrup. Well real maple syrup is expensive, so today I cooked 3/4 c frozen berries with 1/4 c water and 2 T maple syrup. Blended it all together and voila, healthier "pink" oatmeal even yummier and cheaper. 

January 6: thumb.gif Staying home today..marriage drama, 30 weeks pregnant, a 2 yo and a 4 yo..I'm worn out. :(

January 7: thumb.gif whistling.gifToday is my birthday and I'm feeling kind of down so I've decided that I want to go to starbucks later and get a tall drink and wander Target by myself for some peace. :) And my mom just told me she wants to send me an "e-gift card" so I don't have to buy it myself so yay! A no spend day! The e-giftcard thing is cool, you can email someone a giftcard and they just print it off and use it like a regular gift card!

January 8: thumb.gif Not much to tell! 

January 10: thumb.gif Got some birthday money and got a couple things for myself but since it's not budgeted I'm not counting it. We also got enough for a year membership to the childrens museum so I'll be buying that on Monday!

January 11:

January 12:

January 13:

January 14:

January 15:

January 16:

January 17:

January 18:

January 19:

January 20:

January 21:

January 22:

January 23:

January 24:

January 25:

January 26:

January 27:

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page