January No Spend Challenge~ Ringing in the New Year with $$ in our Pockets!!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 485 Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1/12 smile.gif $15.25 on vegetable and herb seeds.  I am hoping it is money well spent.  I have big plans for my garden this year!  biggrinbounce.gif

#242 of 485 Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Better late than never, I suppose. winky.gif

a. Who you are - I'm married with two kids (10 and 8 who are just not getting this frugal lifestyle switch).  I teach a full-day of kindergarten and pre-k in a private school.  DH has his own business.  Oh, and we live about 50 miles outside of NYC in Connecticut where it seems like everything is expensive.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) - Saving up to buy a house, trying to put money aside for children's education, pay off student loans, sleep better at night rather than tossing and turning over finances

c. How you plan to get there - We are saving most of my paychecks and putting the rest on student loans, I'm on a cash allowance per month which shouldn't be as hard for me as it will likely be (this just started) and that also means I'm not carrying plastic - way too easy for me to get into trouble although we don't have credit cards.  We're *gulp* getting one so keep improving credit but I'm not planning on carrying that around other than for specific purchases.  And we're finally able to budget realistically.  DH was just putting money into our account to cover costs but is now paying himself a set amount.  I was convinced we were spending more money than we would have with a fixed income.

1/13:

1/14:

1/15:

1/16:

1/17:

1/18:

1/19:

1/20:

1/21:

1/22:

1/23:

1/24:

1/25:

1/26:

1/27:

1/28:

1/29:

1/30:

1/31:

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#243 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Ugh, I was wrong about yesterday. I was still to sick to face cooking anything for dinner, so we got takeout. I am preemptively giving myself a thumbs up for today, though, because although I'm feeling better, I don't plan to go anywhere or do anything besides catch up on schoolwork and do home stuff. Hopefully I won't have to change it later!

Key: 

No frivolous/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

12/30: thumb.gif

12/31: irked.gif

1/1: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/2: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/3: irked.gif $15 at Starbucks

1/4: yummy.gif irked.gif $9 in library fines 

1/5: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/6: yummy.gif thumb.gif

1/7: yummy.gif irked.gif $60 on clothes, $15 on sneakers, and $20 on desk organizer

1/8: irked.gif $40 on desk organizing supplies, $15 on pizza for dinner

1/9: yummy.gif irked.gif $42 on black loafers, $2 library fine

1/10: irked.gif $25 on lunch out

1/11: irked.gif $25 on bagels and lunch, $25 on pizza for 6

1/12: irked.gif $23 on Moe's for dinner

1/13: yummy.gif thumb.gif

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#244 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Went online and checked our bank statement so I could make sure I was being accurate here. I had missed our enormous cell phone bill and the library fines, but that was it.

No Spend/Paying Bills thumb.gif

Budgeted Spend eyesroll.gif

Unbudgeted Spend irked.gif

Did Something Frugal at Home treehugger.gif

Bills are in Bold.

December 30: thumb.gif

December 31: eyesroll.gif $17-ish at Grocery Depot

January 1: eyesroll.gif $171- Grocery shop

January 2: thumb.gif $120- water bill (ouch!)

January 3: eyesroll.gif $170- car insurance irked.gif $33- food for a class, $2.55- a beer for dh, unbudgeted but ok with me

January 4: eyesroll.gif $28- Grocery shop, $150 babysitter

January 5: irked.gif $3.50- bought myself coffee on the way to class this morning. eyesroll.gif $30- gas for van treehugger.gif Dh made pizza for dinner from scratch instead of buying frozen pizza.

January 6: irked.gif $18.61 Library fines.

January 7: thumb.gif $169.03 Overdue Verizon bill

January 8: irked.gif $19- Swimming gear for dd, necessary since her class started today, but not really in our budget. eyesroll.gif $34 at Grocery Depot

January 9: thumb.gif Not a penny. We were just too busy to spend money :)

January 10: eyesroll.gif $30 at grocery store to get food for the next two days. Would have bought dinner on the way to La Leche League tonight, but I'd left my wallet in the van, so no spending on that. 

January 11:eyesroll.gif $17 at Grocery Depot. $19 at Safeway. Last Legend Drugs & Devices class!

January 12:thumb.gif Got three new shirts for the baby by going to the consignment store and using money from our seller account. Then a friend dropped off a dozen eggs from her chickens, which meant not going out to buy eggs, which meant not buying extra stuff at the store.$100- paid babysitter for the week.

January 13: eyesroll.gif $65 at grocery store. Frozen organic chicken breasts were 50% off and I couldn't say no, then I ended up getting a bunch of organic canned beans on sale and hit the produce section too.

January 14:

January 15:

January 16:

January 17:

January 18:

January 19:

January 20:

January 21:

January 22:

January 23:

January 24:

January 25:

January 26:

January 27:

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#245 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Updating for today - I have been waiting all day to post so this may be the motivation I need.  And since I'm not planning on leaving the house for the rest of the day, this is it.

No Spend Day - thumb.gif

Budgeted Expense - eyesroll.gif

Unplanned Expense - irked.gif

Made Do or Mend - thumbsup.gif

1/13: eyesroll.gif  I've actually been home decluttering most of today so my only expense on my part was our weekly offering at Mass - $10.  DH did the grocery shopping from my list and we only shopped sales to replenish the freezer and pantry.  $266 - it was a big replenish.  He also used our accumulated gas points to fill up my car (I have the longer commute) - $2.95/gallon and got 13 gallons for a total of $38.61.  And all of it budgeted!!

1/14:

1/15:

1/16:

1/17:

1/18:

1/19:

1/20:

1/21:

1/22:

1/23:

1/24:

1/25:

1/26:

1/27:

1/28:

1/29:

1/30:

1/31:

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#246 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM

#247 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

One whole weekend and no spending!!!   I even slyly weaseled our way out of going out for dinner with some friends.  We went to the beach instead and ran around and drank hot chocolate that I had brought.  These are friends who really like to eat out, but they were excited about the beach and it all went really well.  The beach in winter is a real treat. 

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Budgeted spend

irked.gif   Unbudgeted Spend

treehugger.gif  Do something frugal at home

January 1 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  lowered temperature on hot water heater

January 2 -- irked.gif   $10.50 food at airport  treehugger.gif  soaked beans for dh and kids

January 3 -- love.gif

January 4 -- love.gif

January 5 -- love.gif  

January 6 -- irked.gif  $3 tea at airport

January 7 -- thumb.gif  well baby check up  treehugger.gif  soaking more beans for meals, lowered heat 2 degrees

January 8 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for another day

January 9 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for yet another day

January 10 -- thumb.gif  grocery shopping 

January 11 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  shut down the heat due to warm temps

January 12 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  dh repaired kitchen faucet

January 13 -- love.gif

January 14

January 15

January 16

January 17

January 18  PAYDAY

My goals:

Save 50% of Jan 4th paycheck -- done!

Save 20% of Jan 18th paycheck

Do something frugal every day

Make every dollar matter

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#248 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Well I just noticed that I've only had one no spend day so far this month.  but believe it or not, I am doing better than usual by keeping track of every penny spent.

1/13 irked.gif Groceries $55.34, Garden Center (used 15% off coupon and got 2 packs of seeds, some organic fertilizer, and some seed starting mix.  I am pretty much set for all of my gardeing suplies for the year now). $18.13, Starbucks $3.90 (I work from home and had to work from here today so get some quiet).

frugal things I did today: DH wanted to go pick up burritos for lunch but instead I ran to the store and we had sandwiches at home.  I also had a few great coupons and got some good deals (2 pkgs of turkey bacon for $2)! I turned my compost bin (finally) and found that I had enough compost for my garden for now and I didn't need to buy any at the garden center.  Tonight I hope to clip coupons from the Sunday paper and do the meal planning for the week.

#249 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM

January Spending. 

NO SPEND - joy.gif

Budgeted Spending - thumb.gif

Unquieted Spending - eyesroll.gif

Dec 29 - thumb.gif

Dec 30- joy.gif

Dec 31 - thumb.gif

Jan 1- eyesroll.gif   

Jan 2 - thumb.gif

Jan 3 - thumb.gif

Jan 4- thumb.gif

Jan 5 - eyesroll.gif

Jan 6 - eyesroll.gif

Jan 7- thumb.gif

Jan 8 - thumb.gif

Jan 9- eyesroll.gif

Jan 10 - joy.gif

Jan 11 - thumb.gif

Jan 12 - thumb.gif

Jan 13- eyesroll.gif

Yesterday was good. Only spent $16 at good will and the only thing not on my list that I got was a $2 book for my son (who really really wanted to go to the jumping place... and was very happy when he was consoled with a book about pandas). I managed to get a tiny crock pot (it has to be 4-6 cups). For cooking small amounts of beans and oatmeal. I'm very happy about that! Also got a replacement lid for one of our pans that I broke a while back, and a few more forks (we never seem to have enough, whats up with that?). 

Today... Not so good. Got a groupon for 1 night at a really nice hotel up on mount hood for only $79. My DH and I haven't had a night out in a long time, so I grabbed this out hoping we can get one in the next few weeks (now need my sister to babysit for us). Then I spent $25 on graden supplies (mostly wood from craigslist, and some tomato cages). Also bought a freshwater test kit for my aquaponics set up (That I'm SOO close to being able to run). And I spent $20 at the grocery store (budgeted) and $63 on gas (budgeted).  

I gotta say I am doing really good as far as gas use goes. I budgeted $200, and made it half way though the month on $65, still had almost 1/4 tank left when I filled up again for $63, that should get me to the end of the month for only $130! So I guess as long as we don't drive out of town gas isn't too bad each month. Once its warm out we will bike even more. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#250 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

thumb.gif = No Spend  smile.gif = Groceries/Gas/Ok spending  duck.gif= Unnecessary spending  jog.gif = Exercised  yummy.gif = Ate all meals at home

Week 2 of 2013 (Jan 6-12)

Jan 6: $49.76 on groceries and $44.55 on stuff smile.gifyummy.gifduck.gif

Jan 7: thumb.gif yummy.gif

Jan 8: $45.88 on groceries, mainly stuff for DH's birthday dinner and dessert smile.gif and $27.89 on dog food and ear cleaner smile.gif jog.gifyummy.gif

Jan 9: thumb.gif yummy.gif <---- I was REALLY tempted to take the kids + daycare child to McD's for snack after school and a play as it was too cold for outside play and it's our only indoor play place, but we stayed away and I felt really really happy I didn't bend to temptation!

Jan 10: smile.gif Spent $170 on "stuff" but it was all on my list of needed items. $100 of it was in Gift Cards though that we received from Christmas and went to stuff to fuel my goals of healthy body and healthy finances. duck.gifDH had some time between going to the office and going out to do his work and he brought the girls home breakfast for $10.97. Still need to buy some more groceries today and pay the insurance for DD2's drop in gymnastics play. But after that we're going to go exercise at the free indoor walking track... DH got paid today so I also need to pay bills and move money around for automatic withdrawls... Payday's are always expensive it seems...

Just updating now as I got super sick on Friday around 1pm and only feel good enough now to sit at the computer and do this... I've been reading along on my phone when I can keep my eyes open long enough. Luckily for us DH had Friday and Sat/Sun off. So once I showed my face at the daycare child's school, he took over care from there (his mom doesn't mind, he's just not on the safe pick up list at school I don't believe)... I only really surfaced from this horrible thing today. My youngest came down with a milder strain Friday afternoon and my oldest woke up at 4am this morning with it. Milder than mine but stronger than her sisters... Norwalk/Norovirus is HORRID, and I'm always the lucky one that ends up with it... DH so far has not gotten in but he rarely gets sick. He's had it before a couple years ago but he's hoping to avoid it this time too!

So I just logged into his bank account fearing the worst and it's not too bad!

Jan 11: $12.99 on groceries, $19.22 on eating out lunch (this was right before I got sick and when he got back with my food I couldn't eat it... I had figured it was just because I hadn't really eaten...)

Jan 12: $4.78 on Slurpees (only thing I wanted! and he got the kids each one too ;) Did I mention it's like -18*C outside?), $21.85 on dinner for the three of them, $1.89 on another slurpee ;) and $3.55 on more Gravol for me. 

$108.87/$200 weekly grocery budget

$118.10/$?? weekly stuff budget

$0/$?? weekly gas budget

$58.71/$?? weekly eating out budget (would like this to be $50 a week to start, with a goal of $100 a month but that could be unrealistic)

$27.89/$50 monthly dog budget

^Not too bad, but we really have no fresh groceries in the house and so that's why we spent so little on groceries. If I was feeling better I totally could have gone over on that!

And my new week starting today...

Jan 13: $40.79 on groceries (although this was mostly "man" food) and he got me another Slurpee but must have paid cash ;) And I'm sending him out for dinner again (and not feeling guilty about it) because I do NOT have the energy to A)cook and B) face the mess in the kitchen from DH cooking over the last couple days... I cleaned the bathroom and did laundry today... my energy is GONE! Probably around $30...

$40.79/$200 weekly grocery budget

$0/$?? weekly stuff budget

$0/$?? weekly gas budget

$30/$?? weekly eating out budget (would like this to be $50 a week to start, with a goal of $100 a month but that could be unrealistic)

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#251 of 485 Old 01-13-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutres

1.  irked.gif  Not exactly how I wanted to start the year/ month, but all well.  Another $200 spent at Home Depot for more shelving for my kids' rooms, $40 spent at the grocery store while we continue to wrap our head around the food allergies.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif  $$ bought DDs's birthday cake and ice cream for DS2.  Blew up the birth pool, gathered birth supplies, & put crib together.

6.  irked.gif  $75 at Home Depot.  Shelves are working out so well in the kids' rooms, DH and I decided to put some in our room.  Making split pea soup for after birth from a ham bone my mom saved.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Frugal accomplishments for today:  started cutting out cloth wipes to sew for new baby, packed all our snacks and brought our water bottles to the 3hr meeting today that I had to take the kids w/ me to, cooked dinner at home even though I was exhausted after my meeting, including greens from our garden we have in a low tunnel, pulled out next size up clothes from storage for DD2 and DD3 (still need to go through DD3's drawers to pull out too small clothing, hopefully tomorrow)

8.  thumb.gif  $17 spent at grocery store for milk, pasta, and a jar of sauce (not frugal, I usually make my own sauce, but hey, we didn't eat out winky.gif).  Frugal accomplishments for today:  went through DD3's clothes, separated all of the clothes I've pulled from the drawers the last few weeks and started a donation bag, raked half my front yard and moved the leaves into the garden beds, dug a trench and buried 5 gallons of kitchen scraps in one of the beds, brought our change to the coinstar machine and got an amazon gift card.

9.  thumb.gif  $6 on an amazon grocery order for soy free chocolate chips, sorghum flour, and chia seeds.  Frugal accomplishments for today: used amazon gift card from yesterday for majority of amazon order, cut DS2's hair, ate all meals and snacks out of the pantry/ freezer

10. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Planned food shopping list for Saturday, cut cloth wipes from upcycled flannel sheet and towels, DH picked up our bulk foods co-op order last night so I was able to make a loaf of gluten-free bread  for lunch and muffins for breakfast, also eating dinner at home, started taxes, opened windows in house to get some fresh air in (we're in a warm streak), took the end of the loaf of bread I made and set it aside to make gluten free bread crumbs

11.  irked.gif  DH made a pretty big purchase today.  We put it on our CC and will pay it off next month b/c it was a last minute, completely unbudgeted purchase.  Also bought some groceries.  Frugal accomplishments for today: wintersowed 5 containers (3 onions and 2 broccoli) using seed starting soil from last year and jugs I've been saving.

12. thumb.gif  Did our big, once-a-month grocery shop.  Apparently I wasn't paying as close attention when I made my list b/c I ended up buying quite a bit of duplicates of things we didn't really need, though they can go in the stockpile now.  We overspent our food budget by about $90, but I'm not sure how much of that is food cost increases, allergen free ingredients that are slightly more expensive, or a just a general need to increase the food budget that I don't want to come to terms with, lol.gif .

13. irked.gif  Had to pick up mailing labels for a project for DD1's troop.  It wasn't in the budget, but I told my co-leader I'd take care of it.

9/ 20 No Spend Days

2/ 20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#252 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 AM

So far this may be my best month ever in the history of no-spend threads...I'm not sure what is going on. 

Being broke plays a big part in it, though.  winky.gif   If you spend it all the first day, can't really spend again that month.

I have a child home sick with a stomach bug...that is limiting how much we can do as well.  I wanted to get Chinese take-out last night, but decided that was really unfair to the sickie since she loves Chinese too.  We'll do it when she is well again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

My Goal = 15 thumb.gif No-Spend days

My progress = 11 No-spend day so far

01..  $258 lessons for the kids

02..  thumb.gif

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  $40.09  Date Night

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  thumb.gif

10..  thumb.gif

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

#253 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:

So far this may be my best month ever in the history of no-spend threads...I'm not sure what is going on. 

Being broke plays a big part in it, though.  winky.gif   If you spend it all the first day, can't really spend again that month.

I have a child home sick with a stomach bug...that is limiting how much we can do as well.  I wanted to get Chinese take-out last night, but decided that was really unfair to the sickie since she loves Chinese too.  We'll do it when she is well again.

You're doing fantastically! orngbiggrin.gif

And yes, you can't spend money twice lol.gif

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#254 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Key:

No Spend/Paying Bills thumb.gif

Budgeted Spend eyesroll.gif

Unbudgeted Spend irked.gif

Did Something Frugal at Home treehugger.gif

**15/25 No Spend/Budgeted Spend Days**

**$180/$480 Grocery/Med Budget**

December 28: thumb.gif Paid rent, electric, water, adt, credit card and van payment for $1,232. But our van payment is now current so we're current on all bills! 

December 29: thumb.gif We'll be spending the day with the inlaws. 

December 30: thumb.gif Budgeted spend on pizza, we got home from out of town at dinner time and I needed to buy groceries! We also got some snacks for the road but my dad had given us "coke money" for the trip (I had gone to the store for him and he told me to keep the change).

December 31: thumb.gifirked.gif Ah groceries. I spent $150 almost even on food, herbs, meds and wipies. My DH will be going to the other store here in a bit to get our milk and produce. My unbudgeted spend was a pair of sweat pants on sale for the little one who didn't have any (and it's cold enough he needs warm pants around the house). They were $4. I also got 3 packs of toss and go sippy cups for $6.

January 1: thumb.gif Well I was going to send DH to the post office but it's closed, so no spend!

January 2: irked.gif Found out that when my dentist talked me into a "deep clean" it turned me into a periodontal patient and my insurance doesn't cover all periodontal cleanings so I have to go every 3 months to be tortured and can't stop being a periodontal patient until I "get better". Sigh. $30 copay for that today. $9 for stamps. $22 for paper kitchen items (plates/bowls/etc) and tissues because I'm trying to get over the flu and can't keep up with the house. Sigh.

January 3: thumb.gif treehugger.gif I'm still getting over the flu and now DH has gastroenteritis (Lord help us) so another day inside until we have speech therapy at 1:30. We only have $50 left and I'm not touching it! Next pay period will be more challenging because I'll have more $$ available which makes it harder not to spend it! For my frugal thing done at home I made a quadruple batch of steel cut oats for breakfast and divided it into qt sized jars for quick breakfasts later this week. :)

January 4: irked.gif Alright..*shame* I'll put the worst things first: Movie for the boys $10, donuts for breakfast $7 and workbooks from targets dollar section because we haven't been able to afford our home school curriculum yet $4. I also got floss (the string kind since the stick kind I've been using apparently don't work well) $3 and instant potatoes $4. Now to go hide in shame.

January 5:irked.gif treehugger.gif My oldest is autistic and tends to obsess over things. Lately it's been Christmas lights. Tonight is the last night that we have a local light display, it's 5.5 miles of lights. We have been at least 5 times since Thanksgiving. So I took the boys tonight and I don't feel bad. :) $10 So usually we eat oatmeal 3-4 times a week and sweeten it with maple syrup. Well real maple syrup is expensive, so today I cooked 3/4 c frozen berries with 1/4 c water and 2 T maple syrup. Blended it all together and voila, healthier "pink" oatmeal even yummier and cheaper. 

January 6: thumb.gif Staying home today..marriage drama, 30 weeks pregnant, a 2 yo and a 4 yo..I'm worn out. :(

January 7: thumb.gif whistling.gifToday is my birthday and I'm feeling kind of down so I've decided that I want to go to starbucks later and get a tall drink and wander Target by myself for some peace. :) And my mom just told me she wants to send me an "e-gift card" so I don't have to buy it myself so yay! A no spend day! The e-giftcard thing is cool, you can email someone a giftcard and they just print it off and use it like a regular gift card!

January 8: thumb.gif Not much to tell! 

January 9: thumb.gif Staying home today, it's cold and rainy. I think I'll make a big batch of breakfast food later.

January 10: thumb.gif Got some birthday money and got a couple things for myself and the boys but since it's not budgeted I'm not counting it. We also got enough for a year membership to the childrens museum so I'll be buying that on Monday!

January 11: thumb.gif Doing these next few days in advance, we'll be staying home except for church on Sunday and nothing to buy there!

January 12: thumb.gif treehugger.gifA friend gave me her extra bountiful basket! I'm trying to keep my kids out of it so I can make strawberry/carrot muffins for snack. :)

January 13: thumb.gif

January 14: thumb.gif PAYDAY We are so spending money but it'll be budgeted..$465 on bills (cell/internet, insurance, adt), $250 on the gas card, $23 to the army for an overpay, $30 on haircuts for the kids, $45 on diapers, $55 on cloth pull ups, $80 for a years worth of laundry soap, $20 for school stuff, $70 savings for Christmas, $185 in our savings jar and $21 in the kids savings jar. Phew. I also have to go grocery shopping but I'll do that later this week. Speaking of which, I've increased our food budget so we can buy some meat in bulk.

January 15:

January 16:

January 17:

January 18:

January 19:

January 20:

January 21:

January 22:

January 23:

January 24:

January 25:

January 26:

January 27:

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#255 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:

That's how I'm doing it, lol. Everything that needs bought gets bought twice a month or so.

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#256 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 AM

Doing well in the no-spending department, though I have a birthday present to buy today.  I have $15 worth of Christmas gifts to bring back to Target, so the gift won't cost me anything out of pocket.  I'll still count it as spending here since I was not prepared to buy this gift.  

My son is asking for a haircut as well.  We normally do haircuts at home, but this time he is really set on having a "store bought" haircut.  It irks me to pay for haircuts.  irked.gif  Supercuts has a deal between 5 and 8 pm -- $13 a cut.  Trying to decide if it is worth it.  My son rarely asks for anything and as he gets older, his hair is becoming more important to him.  He is a redhead, so his hair has always been a big deal -- people comment on his hair and he feels different as the only red in the family.  Hmmmm...might be worth it.  

And my big goal this week is to get our freezer cleaned up and listed on Craigslist.  I looked this morning and it seems freezers like mine go for about $150.  Nice!  Once the house sells, I will list dressers, a couch, the lawn mower and anything else I can find that is not coming with us.  Time to make some money!  

Will check in later.  Wish me luck in Target! 

#257 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Will check in later.  Wish me luck in Target! 

Good luck mama! joy.gif

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#258 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM

Tuesday 15th January:

Today I can begin the no spend challenge properly*.. It's pay day today (for the month) and I can trial my new budget! Never thought I'd get excited about budgets.

lol.gif

So far, I've paid the bills (and are up to date on them), poured some money into our debt and set aside the funds for grocery shopping, gas and the few items we need this month (dd shoes, dh shoes & some storage containers for our pantry/kitchen). Anything other than this will be considered unnecessary spending.

Woohoo, here we go!

*I joined the no spend challenge on January 1st, half way through our pay, with no plan/budget of any sort and was just winging it..

#259 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM

I budget every single penny...which is how I know we don't have any left for this month...even though there is money in the bank, it has all been allocated.

We'll be using that money for food and heat.

Things are tight tight tight this month.  I just have to hold strong and resist that urge to dip into savings.

My goals are:

1.  No new clothes for me.

2.  No eating out.

3.  No hosting parties (that always costs more than you think it will)

4.  Stay out of the Stores

We have everything we need.  We have plenty of fun stuff to do on our calendar. Stuff that has already been paid for.

I just need to stay strong.

Quote:

My Goal = 15 thumb.gif No-Spend days

My progress = 12 No-spend day so far

01..  $258 cross-country ski club for the kids

02..  thumb.gif

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  $40.09  Date Night

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  thumb.gif

10..  thumb.gif

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  thumb.gif

#260 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Just checked where we are for the month and we are ahead in some areas but we ate it up with unbudgeted spending. (mostly me) GAH! I'm really bad at not spending money!!! I feel like it will be easier to stay out of stores when it warms up outside, but we'll see...  Its so easy to justify things for the garden, though I just don't have the money. How do I budget that. :/ 

Going to try and really stretch what food we have left. I have a whole chicken I'll be roasting tonight, a bag of stuffing left over from thanks giving, and a bag of carrots to roast. Whatever is left will turn in to soup tomorrow that I can add some rice and beans to to make it go even further. I am going to go get some fruit and lunch things from the store. Today, wish me luck. :/ Haven't reached our max food budget yet, but its gonna be tight.... 

#261 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM

I bought 20 lbs of meat today. :shock: 11 lbs of chicken and 9 lbs of beef.

The chicken will be cooked with veggies then all shredded together and split into freezer bags to be used for any recipe calling for chicken.

I'll also use the bones to make a bunch of broth.

The beef will be split.

4 lbs will go to meat mix which is similar to the chicken mix.

I will also take 1 or 2 lbs of the finished product, mix it with 1-2 lbs of cooked lentils and season it for tacos (thus doubling the meat).

The other 5 lbs of meat goes into meat sauce mix which is more of a tomato based meat sauce. I use it for shepherds pie and such. 

I find it's a good way to increase veggie consumption and also makes dinner so fast when the meat is cooked.

I also bought:

TP for the year. 36 double rolls. We will go back to using family cloth and use the TP for when visitors come over.

Trash bags for the year (and got a $5 gift card for this one, used it for diapers).

Ordered cloth pull ups for the potty training guy. 

Ordered laundry soap for the year.

I'm glad I waited to stock up on toothpaste, I came home and went through the bathroom. I found 6 half used of grown up toothpaste, 3 half used kids toothpaste and 4 dentist samples! 

#262 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I'm glad I waited to stock up on toothpaste, I came home and went through the bathroom. I found 6 half used of grown up toothpaste, 3 half used kids toothpaste and 4 dentist samples! 

Somehow that happens here too! I always search the bathroom before buying toohpaste, theres always some down there! My DH asked me "Why are we using this hippie Tom's toothpaste?" I said, "Becuase it was under the sink!" 

#263 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

Somehow that happens here too! I always search the bathroom before buying toohpaste, theres always some down there! My DH asked me "Why are we using this hippie Tom's toothpaste?" I said, "Becuase it was under the sink!" 

I love Toms, lol. :)

To be more specific I had 3 half used tubes of Sensodyne, DH had 3 half used tubes of random crap and the kids had 3 half used tubes of their paste too. We're good for a few months!

I also found a bunch of soap!

#264 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM

Well, not a terrible day.  I returned our things to Target and came away with $40.  $20 of it went to a birthday gift for a very special friend and $20 was for shoes for my baby who is now walking!  I cannot believe he is walking so soon.  He started a few weeks ago and he has been wearing socks, but I noticed that he is more and more determined to walk everywhere and well, that includes dirty streets and cold sidewalks and grungy airports.  So, new shoes for him.  

And I caved and got my son a haircut and of course his younger brother wanted one too, so 2 haircuts for $13 each plus a tip.  

I know this seems self-evident but I'll say it anyway, my kids are always costing me money!  But they are so, so terrific and fabulous and my boys are crazy cute with their new haircuts.  

And now I am officially broke for the month. redface.gif

Oh!  And the big news....we have an offer on our house.  joy.gif  Goodness, I think we might actually sell this place and make our big move.  

love.gif  No spend

thumb.gif  Budgeted spend

irked.gif   Unbudgeted Spend

treehugger.gif  Do something frugal at home

January 1 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  lowered temperature on hot water heater

January 2 -- irked.gif   $10.50 food at airport  treehugger.gif  soaked beans for dh and kids

January 3 -- love.gif

January 4 -- love.gif

January 5 -- love.gif  

January 6 -- irked.gif  $3 tea at airport

January 7 -- thumb.gif  well baby check up  treehugger.gif  soaking more beans for meals, lowered heat 2 degrees

January 8 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for another day

January 9 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  delayed our grocery shopping for yet another day

January 10 -- thumb.gif  grocery shopping 

January 11 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  shut down the heat due to warm temps

January 12 -- love.gif  treehugger.gif  dh repaired kitchen faucet

January 13 -- love.gif

January 14 -- irked.gif $20 shoes, $20 birthday present, $30 haircuts

January 15

January 16

January 17

January 18  PAYDAY

My goals:

Save 50% of Jan 4th paycheck -- done!

Save 20% of Jan 18th paycheck

Do something frugal every day

Make every dollar matter

#265 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM

1/14 thumb.gif finally a no-spend day!

frugal things:

I had to drop off a jacket at DD's preschool this morning and I really wanted to stop on the way home and get something to eat or drink.  but instead I went home and made popcorn. I brought the extra popcorn for the kids to eat after I picked them up from school.

DS needed an alarm clock for his room and we were thinking about buying one for him.  then I remembered that we had an old one in a box somewhere so I found it and it works fine.

Hung the diapers outside to dry.

Made a big batch of steel cut oatmeal for my breakfasts this week.

#266 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Oh!  And the big news....we have an offer on our house.  joy.gif  Goodness, I think we might actually sell this place and make our big move.  

Good luck to you!praying.gif

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#267 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

jammin.gifcarrot.gif= Excellent

oops.gif / shrug.gif = Not so good

dizzy.gif / surrender.gifduh.gif= Very, very bad

12.31  carrot.gif  Errand day.  Groceries/ eat out= $55/ $18/ $28  oops.gif  Forgot to record library fines--  22 DOLLARS!

1.1  jammin.gif  No spend.  Staying home.  Nothing's open.  But I'm taking it anyway.

1.2  carrot.gif Happy Veggie for now, because we kept snack and treat purchases to a minimum.  Azure Standard order.  Co-op stop.  

1.3  shrug.gif  Stop at Burgerville for dd2--she ate 5 fries, I ate a burger and fries.  Oh well.  DH took dd1 out for a taco.  $20

1.4  shrug.gif  Just groceries, but not sure how I'm doing so far.  

1.5 jammin.gif  No spend.  Stayed home.

1.6  duh.gif  Took away my reward for a no-spend because 1/2 of a stewed chicken was wasted, entirely avoidable.  

1.7 carrot.gif Hopefully the start to a better week. Added $7 to the FUNfund with the girls' leftover treat budget for the week.  Making bread; made my pot of smoky-bacon-y soupy beans.

1.8  carrot.gifEven though this was a big spend day, I'm giving myself this Happy Carrot because I stuck to the lists, and the girls stuck to their weekly treat allowance.  Only one entirely unplanned but not unwelcome purchase-- a new sudoku book for the girls to share, $6.

1.9  shrug.gif  Basic groceries, but they keep coming.  Not sure how I'm doing yet.

1.10 shrug.gif Couple of forgotten groceries.  Thrift store $30.  Wool socks $16.  New battery for an old digital camera.    Dairy Queen, $13, because I messed up and we drove 40 minutes to what I thought was an open swim at the Y.  

1.11  shrug.gif  Last of the forgotten groceries.  Totaled $203 for the week.  Not bad.  Could have been waaaaay better.  Added another $7 to the FUNfund again.  DD1 is really excited--we have saved $24 in 3 weeks.

1.12  jammin.gif  No spend

1.13  jammin.gif

1.14  shrug.gif  Haven't been very good packing snacks and lunches.  Hrumph!  Minor stops for groceries, household stuff like laundry soap and hair ties.  The girls got fresh money for their weekly treat allowances.  Stopped at DQ for their fries, and I was hungry enough to order a meal myself.  Nothing extravagant.  $36 basic groceries, $15 snacks, treats and eat out.  

I would *love* to keep the rest of this week's groceries to about $60.  We need no meat, no cheese, no coffee.  I could do this, in theory.

knit.gifFinally finished the 2nd pair of mittens from yarn in my yarn drawer.  And we still have some cold weather left!  

Basic groceries= $466

Snacks and treats and eating out= $120

Groceries for homemade treats and celebrations= $33

=$619.00/ $920 for 5 weeks ending Sunday, 2.3

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#268 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM

I am dropping the ball big time over here. I'm hoping to sell stuff and ease up in other areas of the budget so I don't throw us way off course.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#269 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unbudgeted/ Unnecessary Spending

knit.gif  Crafted for at least 30 minutres

1.  irked.gif  Not exactly how I wanted to start the year/ month, but all well.  Another $200 spent at Home Depot for more shelving for my kids' rooms, $40 spent at the grocery store while we continue to wrap our head around the food allergies.

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif  $$ bought DDs's birthday cake and ice cream for DS2.  Blew up the birth pool, gathered birth supplies, & put crib together.

6.  irked.gif  $75 at Home Depot.  Shelves are working out so well in the kids' rooms, DH and I decided to put some in our room.  Making split pea soup for after birth from a ham bone my mom saved.

7.  thumb.gif  knit.gif  Frugal accomplishments for today:  started cutting out cloth wipes to sew for new baby, packed all our snacks and brought our water bottles to the 3hr meeting today that I had to take the kids w/ me to, cooked dinner at home even though I was exhausted after my meeting, including greens from our garden we have in a low tunnel, pulled out next size up clothes from storage for DD2 and DD3 (still need to go through DD3's drawers to pull out too small clothing, hopefully tomorrow)

8.  thumb.gif  $17 spent at grocery store for milk, pasta, and a jar of sauce (not frugal, I usually make my own sauce, but hey, we didn't eat out winky.gif).  Frugal accomplishments for today:  went through DD3's clothes, separated all of the clothes I've pulled from the drawers the last few weeks and started a donation bag, raked half my front yard and moved the leaves into the garden beds, dug a trench and buried 5 gallons of kitchen scraps in one of the beds, brought our change to the coinstar machine and got an amazon gift card.

9.  thumb.gif  $6 on an amazon grocery order for soy free chocolate chips, sorghum flour, and chia seeds.  Frugal accomplishments for today: used amazon gift card from yesterday for majority of amazon order, cut DS2's hair, ate all meals and snacks out of the pantry/ freezer

10. thumb.gif  knit.gif  Planned food shopping list for Saturday, cut cloth wipes from upcycled flannel sheet and towels, DH picked up our bulk foods co-op order last night so I was able to make a loaf of gluten-free bread  for lunch and muffins for breakfast, also eating dinner at home, started taxes, opened windows in house to get some fresh air in (we're in a warm streak), took the end of the loaf of bread I made and set it aside to make gluten free bread crumbs

11.  irked.gif  DH made a pretty big purchase today.  We put it on our CC and will pay it off next month b/c it was a last minute, completely unbudgeted purchase.  Also bought some groceries.  Frugal accomplishments for today: wintersowed 5 containers (3 onions and 2 broccoli) using seed starting soil from last year and jugs I've been saving.

12. thumb.gif  Did our big, once-a-month grocery shop.  Apparently I wasn't paying as close attention when I made my list b/c I ended up buying quite a bit of duplicates of things we didn't really need, though they can go in the stockpile now.  We overspent our food budget by about $90, but I'm not sure how much of that is food cost increases, allergen free ingredients that are slightly more expensive, or a just a general need to increase the food budget that I don't want to come to terms with, lol.gif .

13. irked.gif  Had to pick up mailing labels for a project for DD1's troop.  It wasn't in the budget, but I told my co-leader I'd take care of it.

14. thumb.gif  Pack meeting pot luck at scouts, except it was "Bring your fave pizza from your fave pizza place" night.  Ugh, we can't have pizza now because of DS2's allergies, so I packed sandwiches on homemade gluten-free bread and made gluten free rice krispie treats for dessert.  Picked up 50lbs of potatoes on the way home ($17).

10/ 20 No Spend Days

2/ 20 Crafting Days

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#270 of 485 Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Jan 13: $40.79 on groceries (although this was mostly "man" food) and he got me another Slurpee but must have paid cash wink1.gif And I'm sending him out for dinner again (and not feeling guilty about it) because I do NOT have the energy to A)cook and B) face the mess in the kitchen from DH cooking over the last couple days... I cleaned the bathroom and did laundry today... my energy is GONE! Probably around $30...

Jan 14: DH *did* come down with it late last night greensad.gif so while he missed a day at work it looks like he is doing better! I'm sleeping in the guest bed again tonight... MUST make a *new* mattress in here a budget item, this one used to be my grandparents and it was an extra guest bed at my parents... I can't hazard to guess how old it is but it is horrible!!! However we didn't spend today, I still had my DC kid (mom figures he'll end up sick with this eventually anyways) and we ate all "meals" at home! yummy.gif

$40.79/$200 weekly grocery budget
$0/$?? weekly stuff budget
$0/$?? weekly gas budget
$30/$?? weekly eating out budget (would like this to be $50 a week to start, with a goal of $100 a month but that could be unrealistic)

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page