Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Frugality & Finances (http://www.mothering.com/forum/312-frugality-finances/)
-   -   January No Spend Challenge~ Ringing in the New Year with $$ in our Pockets!!! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/312-frugality-finances/1370966-january-no-spend-challenge-ringing-new-year-our-pockets.html)

FillingMyQuiver 12-28-2012 06:15 AM

This is a support thread to help you not spend your money.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be December 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

FillingMyQuiver 12-28-2012 06:55 AM

a.  I'm Jenn, homeschooling SAHM to 5 kiddos, due in late January w/ #6 (our last).

b.  We're on track to being debt free.  We've been s-l-o-w-l-y progressing on it, it seems as though each time we take 2 steps forward, we also need to take 3 steps back irked.gif But we're pressing on.

c.  We're still working on controlling our spending.  Our plan for the month:

~ STAY OUT OF STORES!!  This is our biggest $$ suck.  Our family can NOT go into a store for just 1 thing, we end up spending at least $100!!  We've been doing really well keeping this under control and we're going to continue to work on staying out of stores.

~  Cooking at home as much as possible.  Being pregnant, I'm tired, the day gets away from me, and the next thing I know, I'm ordering take out.  We made great strides in our eating out I'm really hoping to keep up the momentum.  It's expensive for our family of 7 to get take out or go out to eat.

~  Crafting.  I have a list of things to get done before the baby comes this month, mostly diapers and wipes.

~  STICK TO THE BUDGET!!  DS2 was recently diagnosed w/ food allergies and it's REALLY taken its toll on the grocery budget as we figure out what we can and can't eat.  I need to sit down and re-evaluate where the grocery $$ is going and make a plan for what we're going to eat this month.  DS2 also has an allergist appt this month, and 3 of the kids have eye dr appts.

Goals for January

20 No Spend Days

15 Days crafted for at least 30 minutes

SweetSilver 12-28-2012 08:48 AM

a. Who you are  Mostly SAH, homeschooling mama of two girls, 6 and 8.  DH is a professional gardener and landscaper.  I used to be, but now am doing housekeeping every now and then.  

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) Short term, we are just attempting to hang steady.  DH's work is seasonal, and this is the down season.  It is also the season that we spend the most-- Christmas sandwiched in between two birthdays.  I will get back to my medium and long-term goals once tax season is over.

c. How you plan to get there  Keep our discretionary spending down to the bare minimum.  This is going to be so hard, because we have one more birthday, dd1 needs some clothes, I need some new jeans and skirts and the thrift store is not coming through for us.  We've been doing well with this the last couple of months, but we are so close to the edge financially that one little thing can upset the balance.  That doesn't even account for unexpected expenses that can blast anybody's bank account into oblivion: car and truck repair (we must maintain 2 vehicles, unfortunately), dental work, and now, since DH and I were kicked off subsidized insurance, medical bills.  

mamabear0314 12-28-2012 10:32 AM

a. Who you are

Micah, stay at home mom to 2 (#3 due in March). We are a single income family with various special needs that make life more expensive and difficult. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) 

Short term goals:

1) Get K home school supplies: $200-250

2) Save $1,000 for emergency fund

3) Pay inlaws back $60 for car part

4) Pay my parents back $200 for random help

Long term goals:

1) Pay off $500 random debt (traffic tickets, library fines, etc)

2) Pay off military travel debt $950

3) Pay off star card $3,300

4) Pay off van $10,000

Stay out of stores

Cook at home 100% of the time

Premake convenience meals, especially breakfast

I kind of feel like I shouldn't be doing the challenge this month since we literally don't have any money *to* spend but I guess it'll help me stay encouraged. :)

mamabear0314 12-28-2012 11:19 AM

We got our first paycheck early so our "January" is actually December 28-January 30. Yay for long pay periods. :(

Key:

No Spend/Paying Bills thumb.gif

Budgeted Spend eyesroll.gif

Unbudgeted Spend irked.gif

Did Something Frugal at Home treehugger.gif

**1/25 No Spend/Budgeted Spend Days**

**0/$175 Grocery/Med Budget**

December 28: thumb.gif Paid rent, electric, water, adt, credit card and van payment for $1,232. But our van payment is now current so we're current on all bills! 

December 29:

December 30:

December 31:

January 1:

January 2:

January 3:

January 4:

January 5:

January 6:

January 7:

January 8:

January 9:

January 10:

January 11:

January 12:

January 13:

January 14:

January 15:

January 16:

January 17:

January 18:

January 19:

January 20:

January 21:

January 22:

January 23:

January 24:

January 25:

January 26:

January 27:

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

Crunchy*VT*Mom 12-28-2012 01:18 PM

My Goal = 15 thumb.gif No-Spend days

My progress = 23 no spends

01..  $258 cross-country ski club for the kids

02..  thumb.gif

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..  $40.09  Date Night

06..  thumb.gif

07..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  thumb.gif

10..  thumb.gif

11..  thumb.gif

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

16..  $6 McDonald's

17..  $8 Buddhism book for Mothers

18..  thumb.gif

19..  $19 Music

20..  $26 stuffed elephant

21   thumb.gif

22   thumb.gif

23   thumb.gif

24   thumb.gif

25   thumb.gif

26  thumb.gif

27  $56 Diva cup

28  thumb.gif

29  $51 soccer uniform

30  thumb.gif

31  thumb.gif

sk8boarder15 12-28-2012 09:33 PM

I left for Dec, knowing It would be too hard with X-mas and our trip to visit family. But now I'm back! 

a. I am a SAHM to an amazing 2 year old and five dogs. We recently moved to 1/3acre lot in SE Portland, OR. DH is pursuing his musical career while working at Best Buy. I bring in a decent income though investments, though after buying our house that account is really hurting. 

b. Our goal this year is to STICK TO OUR BUDGET. Refinance, work on paying down our mortgage while staying out of any other debt. We would love to not have credit cards, but we can't cancel them till after we refinance, so we do use them a little, but pay them off ALMOST all the way each month (if we pay them off all the way it hurts our credit, gotta play the stupid debt game for another month or two) We need to save to open our own business, a tea shop/small venue with a focus on community and local artists. 

c. Our plan is to remake our budget (haven't looked at it since we moved and everything has changed), try to minimize eating out and entertainment spending. Though we've learned that if we try to go completely with out we tend to overdo it the next month. Better to spend a little and enjoy life, just need to do it smart! We are starting to garden and hopefully that will cut our grocery bill a bit. We are also trying to do more outdoor FREE activities, walks, bike rides, hikes. We got a zoo membership (surprisingly affordable) and plan to use that for many outings (we already have gone 4 or 5 times). We just bought a few things we wanted and needed for a long time so hopefully we don't need to get anything for a while. We are setting up a separate account for my husband to keep his music money separate, so he can save to invest in himself without interfering with family finances (money he makes from music will be split 50-50 half going to family expenses, half going back into his music). We are also setting up a saving account for our Son, with the first goal of buying a swing set. Family gave us quite a bit towards it already for christmas. 

mamabear0314 12-29-2012 07:21 AM

We got our first paycheck early so our "January" is actually December 28-January 30. Yay for long pay periods. :(

Key:

**2/25 No Spend/Budgeted Spend Days**

**0/$175 Grocery/Med Budget**

December 28: thumb.gif Paid rent, electric, water, adt, credit card and van payment for $1,232. But our van payment is now current so we're current on all bills! 

December 29: thumb.gif We'll be spending the day with the inlaws. 

December 30:

December 31:

January 1:

January 2:

January 3:

January 4:

January 5:

January 6:

January 7:

January 8:

January 9:

January 10:

January 11:

January 12:

January 13:

January 14:

January 15:

January 16:

January 17:

January 18:

January 19:

January 20:

January 21:

January 22:

January 23:

January 24:

January 25:

January 26:

January 27:

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

melissel 12-29-2012 08:50 AM

OK, it's been forever since I've participated here, but December was a really insane month for us financially. We had a bunch of medical bills for me (multiple trips to the ER and surgery for kidney stones, and then gall bladder removal!), Christmas shopping, we bought some things we've been needing but putting off (coffee table, laptop for DH) and wanting (small TV for the bedroom for DH's birthday), we went a bit overboard with holiday-related fun, etc., and we need to recuperate from all of that! On the upside, I'll be starting a small P/T job working from home for my mom, so that will help a bit, and we should be getting a fat tax refund because of the way DH gets paid at work (this goes right into long-term savings, though). 

Goals: Stick to our actual monthly budget; pare down the grocery budget a bit; eat out less and use our food more wisely; start a savings fund for some potential summer expenses; and did I mention STICK TO OUR BUDGET?

micah_mae, I hope you don't mind if I steal part of your key! 

Key: 

No frivolous/unbudgeted spending: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted spending: irked.gif

Ate at home all day: yummy.gif

1/1:

1/2:

1/3:

1/4:

1/5:

bmcneal 12-29-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

a. I am a SAHM to two kids, and #3 due in April.

b. I would like for us to be debt-free, and have at least a little bit in savings and/or emergency fund.

c. Stop extra shopping trips. Plan more carefully for what we need that isn't groceries, and buy that (and *ONLY* that) when we *do* go shopping. I'm so bad about seeing things for cheap/discount/marked-down that I just want to buy it, because I know it's a great deal, but I/we don't really need it. So cut back on that. Make a meal plan or at least plan meals a little better, and plan to eat at home 99% of the time. Make more homemade snacks, and less packaged goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Key:

I hope you don't mind my stealing this key.

daricsmami 12-29-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:
a. Who you are

a. I'm a single WOH mom to two boys, 9 and 2. I'm in the social work field so my pay is very meager, but I love what I do!

b. Short term: 

1. save for an emergency fund: $2500 (necessary expenses for 1 month)

2. pay back $400 loan from my brother

3. start saving for family reunion trip in 2014 (too bad my family lives in Puerto Rico; great for the atmosphere, bad for finances!)

Long term:

1. pay off car: $8,000

2. start an aggressive college savings account for my kids

c. Well, I'll hopefully be getting a promotion in July, so I hope to have a higher income soon.

I really don't have any discretionary imoney so even 1 little mistake can throw my whole budget off. I need to not spend any money besides what I have budgeted. Unfortunately, my budget cannot include any treats or fun stuff. :( Maybe a Starbucks or inexpensive toy, but that really is it. 

I don't spend too much on groceries, but if I really plan, I could probably shave off about $75-$100 per month.

phathui5 12-29-2012 05:51 PM

a. Who you are- An apprentice midwife and homeschooling mom of 5.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)- My goal for this month is not to run out of money before we run out of month.

c. How you plan to get there- Stick to the budget. Curtail the recreational spending (we really can't afford it).

December 30: thumb.gif

December 31: eyesroll.gif $17-ish at Grocery Depot

January 1: eyesroll.gif $171- Grocery shop

January 2: eyesroll.gif $120- water bill (ouch!)

January 3: eyesroll.gif $170- car insurance irked.gif $33- food for a class, $2.55- a beer for dh, unbudgeted but ok with me

January 4: thumb.gif

January 5:

January 6:

January 7:

January 8:

January 9:

January 10:

January 11:

January 12:

January 13:

January 14:

January 15:

January 16:

January 17:

January 18:

January 19:

January 20:

January 21:

January 22:

January 23:

January 24:

January 25:

January 26:

January 27:

January 28:

January 29:

January 30:

goldfishkate 12-29-2012 06:10 PM

A. I'm new to this thread. I'm married with two kids- one at grade school and one finishing her last year of preschool (yay!). My dh and I both work outside of the house.
B. We are trying to get our budget under control and pay off debt.
C. I'm a lurker but this time I want to join in.

rudhaen 12-29-2012 06:43 PM

DH and I did this challenge last January, and both really benefited from it, so I'm looking forward to doing this again.

a. Who you are

I am a 29 year old SAHM with too many degrees and far too much student loan debt that I have been in denial about (it's been sitting in deferment since my two-year-old was born.)  I am also due with baby #2 any time now.  My husband has a stable and decent income, but probably not sufficient for dealing with all of my debt (and our vehicle payment and mortgage and several other monthly payments as well) and still keeping our standard of living at the level it's been at.  Some hard choices are going to have to be made.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

Getting debt free is a major goal for us, but also one that is just plain going to take years (decades) given our situation.  So that is the longterm.

Medium-term: I'd like to get our vehicles paid off and our monthly payments manageable so that we are saving some money to add to our pretty hard-hit emergency fund and other accounts.  We also need to decide whether (more like when) I have to look for a job.  DH and I both want me to be here for our kids, at least while they are little, so I am hoping to find some way to bring in some money without having to go the whole nine yards and put them in daycare while getting a full-time job in my field that in this area (not where I started out) would probably barely cover daycare and loan payments.

Short-term:  I want to discover just how hard it would be for us to really make ends meet with my husband's income.  This means figuring out exactly what we would owe per month on my loans (a confused and tangled mess) and trying to make all of our other payments come in under budget.  We do have enough monthly income to work with that perhaps if we made some tough choices about our lifestyle we could make the conscious choice to keep going with me at home for x number of months or years and still come out in a reasonable position.

--Eat dinner at home at least six days per week.  This is a tough one for us as we love to go out to eat and I have been pretty lax while pregnant.  Now I have many things in the freezer for when the baby comes, so I feel like it's not outrageous to try to get by with only one planned night of eating out per week.

--Reduce grocery budget to $100/week.  We usually buy really high-quality foods and eat lots of meat, dairy, and vegetables.  We may have to find some ways to economize either by compromising quality, getting more creative about meal planning, or eating some more grains & legumes (not preferred for health reasons.)

--Pack lunches for DH *every day*.  This will be really tough to remember with a new little one around, but my mom will be here for half the month and she knows this is a goal for us, so hopefully between the three of us we can make it happen.  Neither of us is really sure how much he's been spending on lunches, so I am hopeful this will make a big difference.

--Stop spending money.  This is actually the part where DH has to step up.  I make almost no unbudgeted purchases, shop at thrift stores for clothes, and very rarely spend any money on entertainment, hobbies, or myself.  DH on the other hand loves buying books and equipment for his many and varied hobbies, so we'll see how this goes.

--Make both checking accounts joint.  This is something that DH has consistently dragged his feet about.  He is joint on my accounts and makes a regular bi-weekly deposit to cover the budgeted expenses that I am in charge of, but his paycheck goes into his account and I cannot see what happens to the bulk of the money.  I have felt guilty insisting on this, but now that we are getting serious about our financial future I need to have all the facts.  He is definitely the spender of the two of us, so even though I feel conflicted and he has done a fair job of managing things so far, I think the time has come for some accountability.

Long, I know!  But thanks for bearing with me as I sort some of this stuff out for myself redface.gif

sk8boarder15 12-29-2012 08:00 PM

January Spending. 

NO SPEND - joy.gif

Budgeted Spending - thumb.gif

Unbudgeted Spending - eyesroll.gif

Dec 29 - thumb.gif

Today I spend $9 on a TON (ok 30 gallons) of Pea Gravel for the aquaponics system I'm building, and I spent $7 at the hardware store on a new flapper for the toilet, and drain pipe for the aquaponics grow bed. Pretty good deal on the Pea Gravel, much cheeper than many other options. looked all over to find that price!  I did a good job at meal planning today, and I have dinner for tomorrow defrosting! 

LoveOurBabies 12-29-2012 10:49 PM

I really need to join this group. I haven't had a handle on my spending for over a year now. blush.gif

Who are you?

Homeschooling mama

Where are you going (financial goals)?

Pay off debt.

Also, challenging myself to do better financially.

How do you plan to get there?

*Not spending! This is my weakness - I walk into the store and come out with things that I don't necessarily need right at that instant, but would be nice to have. I used to be a minimalist and I fell off that band wagon for a while there.

*Budgeting for meals and not exceeding the amount that has been set aside.

*Absolutely positively no kid stuff unless it's a birthday or Christmas or pre-budgeted. I'm a sucker for toys/books/kid clothes. innocent.gif

Well, I'm going to start today.. Might steal that emoticon system that Micah had.. Sheepish.gif

LoveOurBabies 12-29-2012 11:00 PM

LoveOurBabies 12-30-2012 04:26 AM

December 30th

$20.55 on budgeted groceries thumb.gif

$279.45 remaining for groceries this week

What I did today to save money:

Purchased the full fat mince meat and pre-cooked and squeezed all the fat out before adding to the casserole, instead of buying the extra lean mince for an extra $7 for the same amount (which we always buy). Only took me an additional 10 minutes in prep and I kept that $7 in our pocket. :)

phathui5 12-30-2012 09:14 AM

Hanging around with a laboring mama today, so it should be easy for me to have a no-spend day. I did choose to wait till I got to the birth center to make coffee rather than buying myself a coffee on the way in this morning. thumb.gif I gave dh options for things he can make the kids for lunch and dinner today before we went to bed last night, so hopefully he will be able to refrain from spending.

willfulmama 12-30-2012 09:22 AM

Who Am I?

I'm a WAHM to two boys - my oldest is 2 years old and the youngest is 2 months. My work-from-home job is awesome - I've got a super cool job at a really great company and being able to stay home to watch my boys is absolutely priceless. The flip side of that, though, is my job is actually sort of stressful and it sometimes does not help to try typing around a toddler. :)

Where Am I Going? 

As I mentioned above, it seemed like an appropriate time to look over our lives and choose some financial goals to work towards over the next year. I guess I'd think about it as intentional living--while we make enough money between the two of us to live comfortably, we take it for granted and don't really plan for things very well. I'd like to work towards using the next year to sorta "grow up" a little bit and start acting like parents. :)

Some of our financial goals include:

• planning a written budget for every month (done for January!)
  • STICKING to the planned budget. :)
  • pay off 4 debts in full (This shouldn't be very difficult, but will at least get our snowball rolling!)
  • fund our baby emergency fund
  • finish Financial Peace University (We made it a few lessons in and then life happened.) (restarted lesson 1 last night!)
  • balance checkbook every month
  • be fully committed to no more debt!

How Do We Get There?

Well, trying to make decisions intentionally means that we need to put a lot more thought/planning into what we do over the course of a month. We need to get familiar with the word "no" and both my husband and I need to find our weaknesses and try to find out exactly WHY we spend random, unbudgeted money. (One of my weaknesses, for example, is being up with our newborn alone in the middle of the night and finding myself on Amazon. Instead, I'd like to try to find another behavior to replace that habit with - perhaps a book light and a good book to keep me awake while I'm nursing him back to sleep.)

We're also very committed to sticking to our budget. We both agreed this past month that we're not very happy when we don't have a budget and we're not sure what's going on with our bank account. It's SO much easier on us all when we know what's happening with our money and we've talked about it beforehand.

Currently...

12/30 - Grocery shopping, budgeted $125 was hoping to get it under $100, but we got to $102.03. Not bad for a week of groceries + dog food.

12/31 - Should be no spend

1/01 - Should be no spend

1/01 - Should be no spend

FillingMyQuiver 12-30-2012 10:44 AM

Wow!!  Welcome to all the new faces!!  Welcome.gif

melissel 12-30-2012 11:25 AM

OK, I have armed myself with a meal plan for the next two weeks and coupons for our trip to Whole Foods today. Unfortunately, we're going dairy-free for at least a few weeks in January to see if it helps a few things around here, so I'm having to step outside my normal cheap recipes and will buy a few substitutes (coconut milk yogurt, alternative milks) until we get acclimated, and I'm committing to keeping a lot of fresh fruit and veggies in the house for my snack-crazy children. I'm hoping I can stay under our budget for this period!

Crunchy*VT*Mom 12-30-2012 11:59 AM

I'm baaaaack!!!!

I'm tallying up December receipts and its not pretty...but I'm fired up to have a great January.  :)

melissel 12-30-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

I'm baaaaack!!!!

I'm tallying up December receipts and its not pretty...but I'm fired up to have a great January.  :)

I'm afraid to, but my credit card statement says it all yikes2.gif We pay it off in full every month, and we have the means to do this time as well, but dang. At least we're grandfathered into a good rewards program that will pay, in part, for our small family vacation this summer!

daricsmami 12-30-2012 01:35 PM

No spend: love.gif

Budgeted expense: thumb.gif

Unbudgeted, but necessary expense:dizzy.gif

Unbudgeted, unnecessary, frivolous spending: irked.gif

December 29: no spend love.gif

December 30: $99 day care bill (budgeted) thumb.gif

wildmonkeys 12-30-2012 05:09 PM

Hi everyone! I am ready to get inspired and do better in January!

a. Self-employed WAH Mom to 3 boys (12, 9 & 5)

b. After years of SAH and just working a bit - I have really ramped up my work hours and want to make sure I am paying attention to our spending and saving during this transition.  We have worked hard at saving for the nearly 20 years we have been married and are in pretty good shape, but I want to keep making financial progress.

c. By continuing to be careful with our money.

smile.gif      Did something specific to save money

thumb.gif    No spend

Peace.gif  Made a conscious decision to spend

irked.gif      Spent on budgeted/necessary item
dizzy.gif   Blew it

Crunchy*VT*Mom 12-30-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post

I'm committing to keeping a lot of fresh fruit and veggies in the house for my snack-crazy children.

This is one of my new years resolutions as well.  No more crackers shaped like seafood.  More carrots and celery.

wildmonkeys 12-30-2012 05:47 PM

SkateBoarder - Just FYI - It doesn't hurt your credit if you pay off all of your debt on a credit card. It can hurt to close your credit card accounts, but not to lower your debt. 

sk8boarder15 12-30-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post

SkateBoarder - Just FYI - It doesn't hurt your credit if you pay off all of your debt on a credit card. It can hurt to close your credit card accounts, but not to lower your debt. 

Then why did my mortgage banker tell me it did? 

What I think the case is, is that if they RUN your credit and the card has a zero balance as opposed to SOMETHING. They want to see credit debt on there, but not too much. I could be wrong. Can't wait for all this to be over! Our interest is WAY too high! 

SweetSilver 12-30-2012 08:21 PM

nm