How much would you spend on a movie gift card for a teenager or couple? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If the movie ticket costs anywhere from $18 (basic) - $28 (luxury) each, what gift card value do you think is appropriate for a 17yo teen?

How about if the gift card was being gifted to a couple in their 40's?

All the recipients are close family members.

I'm organizing my 2013 christmas list in the hopes that I can begin contributing to the fund from now (so no rude shocks next December). I've decided to give movie gift cards for christmas.. I've never done gift cards as a present before (ever), so 'scuse my ignorance about the topic..

TIA!

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#2 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM

for a teenager i would have enough for 2 (basic) movies so they can treat a friend if they like or go to a 3d movie and get a snack too. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM

Honestly, at those prices I would probably choose a different gift! Back when I used to go to movie theaters they only cost $1.50. Or maybe $5 at the fancy places. Yikes.

But if you can afford it, and that's the only theater around...

For the 17yo I would do 2 basic tickets plus a bit extra for snacks -- so probably $50?

For the 40yo couple -- either $50 like above, or spring for the luxury tickets, so maybe $75.

Wow do people really spend that much to see a movie once??? dizzy.gif

My approach to gift cards is that the recipient should not have to spend any money to use their gift. This is also why I very rarely give gift cards because it's too costly for me. wink1.gif Giving enough only for one ticket just seems like a let-down since I don't think most people go to the movies alone... Maybe you could get away with it for the 17yo, just give $25 or so, enough for ticket + snacks, and assume friends/date will pay their own way. I'd also check snack prices. Mostly just try to avoid giving weird amounts... for ex. $35 might be tricky because it's not enough for 2 tickets but possibly too much for one ticket + snacks. Think of how the recipients are likely to use the gift card, calculate how much it will cost them, and give enough to cover that amount + taxes.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM

I'd get the price of two tickets plus about $10 for snacks added on.  In each case.  The teen can treat a friend or go to two movies, and the couple can spend a nice evening out together on a date.  So like $50 for either one, give or take.

#5 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Teen would get 'basic' ticket

married couple would get 'basic ticket' for 2 people.  Possibly snacks but around here snacks - 2 sodas and large popcorn is another $20 min.

Generally gift cards are sold in $25 and $50 amounts around here.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM

I would give about $55 for the teen or the couple. Snacks here are pricey. The cost of 2 popcorns and 2 drinks is easily more than $10. So I would give enough to cover the cost of 2 tickets (the teen isn't going to go by himself, is s/he?) and popcorn/snacks and drinks. If snacks cost less where you are, then $50 is reasonable. 

#7 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 PM

I would be fine with enough for one ticket and snacks for a teen. Teens don't go to the movies by themselves, but they also don't treat each other so $25 should do it.  I would probably say $50 for an adult couple - that is enough to buy a ticket each and share a popcorn.

Good for you - planning for next Christmas already!!!!

#8 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 PM

i treated friends and vice versa when we were teens. it was either that or go alone lol

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM

What do you get for the luxery ticket?

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#10 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the responses :D I just double checked the prices and silly me did not actually have a look at the local cinema price for the recipients.. instead I looked up my local cinema price rolleyes.gif

The ticket price for the teen is just under $18 each at his local cinema.. And the ticket price for the couple are $23 each at their local cinema.

I am thinking $50 for the teen (that's shouting a friend and $14 for snacks) and $65 for the couple (that's a movie together with $19 for snacks).   

Is that tightwad-ish or reasonable?

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#11 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 AM

I think it is very reasonable.  My ds (nearly 13) has actually gotten a gift card for the movies and it was just enough for him and snacks and I thought it was very nice.  I still can't believe teens (not on a date) would treat each other? I thought the movies were the kind of place where everyone decides to meet up.  Recently my friend and I took about 7 boys to see a movie and they all came with cash for their own ticket.

So IMO not tightwad-ish at all. Congrats on the donuts - I am hoping the January thread can get me to do the same. 

#12 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

I am thinking $50 for the teen (that's shouting a friend and $14 for snacks) and $65 for the couple (that's a movie together with $19 for snacks).   

Is that tightwad-ish or reasonable?

I think that's reasonable and not at all tightwad-ish.

As for whether to pay for a single or a double for the teen, if I'm giving an "experience" type of gift (tickets, museum pass etc.) I lean toward providing enough for an inclusive experience, including some companionship. My DS has had a girlfriend for the past few years. If I gave him a present of a movie or performance, I would definitely give him enough for a date. If I give him 2 tickets, it's only fair that I would give DD 2 tickets too, so that she could take a friend, even though she isn't in a romantic relationship. 

I also wonder if I've been unduly influenced by game shows and Oprah-talk show-type giveaways - "TWO TICKETS! FOR YOU AND A FRIEND! ON AN ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE!" I don't watch those shows but maybe I've seen enough for it to shape my thinking a little.  

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page