~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1405 Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

frugalmama, did you try aiming a normal house fan at the vents on your computer to help cool it and prolong it's life. I know someone who did that for 6months before her laptop crapped out on her. But her fan in her machine was completely dead.  COMPLETELY.

micah_mae, from one single mom to another, hug2.gif    It's tough sometimes.  I'm glad yo u seem to have a good head on your shoulders and you are going in with the right attitude.  I was dragged in kicking and screaming and that didn't help anybody.  It's been almost 6 years now and I think I've finally hit my stride. ROTFLMAO.gif

So I haven't wanted to think about it but with summer coming, I'm losing $25 a week once the kids are out of school.  I watch the little girl across the street whose mama is a teacher in the mornings before school and she'll be out for the summer obviously.  *sigh*  I'll be glad when I get her back again in the fall.  I'm hoping (selfishly) that mom doesn't buy a house somewhere across town like she has been planning to.  But hopefully NOT having to drive my youngest to and from preschool everyday evens out the gas money.  My garden is growing like crazy.  Amazing that a month ago, there was pretty much nothing there and now I have lettuce to harvest today and broccoli coming in very soon.  Can't come soon enough with these healthy eaters in my house.  

Plans for today:

get groceries

make crackers (http://beautythatmoves.typepad.com/beauty_that_moves/2008/12/a-few-notes-from-my-kitchen.html) <---without the rosemary.  My plant didn't make it through the winter.

find a rice pudding recipe for the extra rice I cooked last night.  It's short grain brown.  Anyone have ideas?

get to the library to avoid some late fees

editing to add:  I'm please to report that my grocery shopping was $1.18 under budget for the week!  Phew!  Seeing just $95 on the card made me panicky but a mix of good planning, coupons, and some nice store deals helped us stay under budget AND come out with a few little treats(blueberries and pirate's booty anyone??).

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#302 of 1405 Old 05-23-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this may be off topic, but I mentioned that i had loaned my sister money a few times over the past year, and she had said she would pay me back with income tax. Her refund was 1/2 what she thought it would be and about 3 weeks ago she told me she would not be paying me back anytime soon. Prior we had been talking about 1x a week or more except for the couple weeks leading up to when I saw he last at a family party mostly because i was busy with getting things ready for college and my dd's bday party. A month ago she asked me for a ride (she lives out of my way) and i told her no because i don't have room now that i don't have a mini van. Also there are 2 relatives that live right by her that could give her a ride. So she missed a party the next week, one family member asked if i was suppose to give her a ride and i said no  it was out of the way and i don't have room for her and her kids now that i have a sedan, etc. So 2 weekends ago i was at yet another family party and she didn't show. A relative brought her daughter and said she would be showing up and she never did and we left at 9pm when hardly anyone was there. The next day was mother's day and I didn't call her. Now I will admit I was annoyed for about a week about her not paying me back, but mostly i have just been busy with other things. I really sat down and dealt with the issues of anger for her not keeping her word and tried to call her. It rang 2x's and went to vm. Meaning she hung it up. Previously we both would call and then see the missed call and call back when we were free without a vm. She didn't call back, so i called her the next day. still no answer. I called my grandma and asked about my sister and she said she got a newer vehicle etc. So she is in contact with gma. So last saturday a few relatives went out an aunt my sister is close to was there. I asked her about my sister and she told me she met a neighbor and she and him are hanging out a lot and doing swap meets and yard sales as he is a guy who buys old storage units or something. I asked if they were dating and the aunt said no, he is way too old for her. So here it is 5 days later and still no word from my sister. It may be possible that she doesn't have any money to pay me back and feels guilty and is avoiding me. She stressed that she paid above aunt back because she is always so broke. But I guess because I have cc's and can get student loans i don't matter as much to pay back? And she is talking to everyone else that she owes money to except me. I just don't know what to do. I feel like my 2 calls last week was enough of an effort on my part. I am just feeling very alone and kind of used. It just kind of hurts and echoes the feeling of the fact that I have no one to count on as she was the relative closest to me and someone i could talk to. I also got in a huge blowup fight with xdh yesterday. We were getting a bit to close again and I just can't handle the disrespect and him trying to hang out all the time.

I am really just spending a lot of time with my kiddos. No real time to make new friends. I am going to try to nuture the only 2 relationships that matter with them.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#303 of 1405 Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 AM

Have you and your sister done this before?  Sometimes my sister and I go through these times.  On my end especially.  Sometimes I just can't deal with her perfect husband, perfect life, no kids, spend ridiculous amts of money on herself and her dogs, etc etc etc.  I just can't.  I can't struggle all day long and then listen to how she is blowing $100 a month on crossfit classes or $350 on xrays for any of the broken animals she takes in.  It's just too hard.  And I blow her off because I love her.......but it's difficult for me to deal with and sometimes I just need space.  Maybe it's just a cycle for you two and it'll get better.  Maybe like you said, she's stressed and embarrassed that she can't pay you back.  I know it's probably really irritating because you need the money but hopefully it will get better and you two will repair the relationship again.  Money between family is hard.  My sister owes me money from last mother's day that I just don't even care about anymore because it's not worth it. I let it go.  But I surely won't be lending her money again.  EVER.

#304 of 1405 Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Justmama, not like this, the communication went cold when she told me she couldn't pay me back. but since we have gotten closer she also hasn't had any male friends kwim so Idk it could be both things, the kids are going out of town for 2 days with xdh, I will call her again and leave a message if she doesnt answer, if she doesn't call or answer I will give up trying...

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#305 of 1405 Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

babybird, I'm sorry to hear about your sister.  Mixing money with family is so stressful. 

Well, we are going to be late on rent next week, which means we will have to pay a late fee and then be playing catch up all the rest of the month.  Grrrr.  This is because my husband didn't have overtime two weeks out of four, and he doesn't seem to understand that our budget runs on overtime so it needed to be planned accordingly.  I'm in one of those moods tonight anyway...you try and try to make the best of everything, and every once in a while you just get sick and tired of it, kwim?  Lol, of course my ladies here do!

There are a couple obnoxious children running the apartment complex and generally making life miserable.  They hit my kid on the chin yesterday!!!  They have also scratched/damaged people's cars, harassed other children and adults, stolen a bat and a bicycle from my niece (the bicycle was brought back, the bat was lost) and done other things.  Hubby and I are going in to talk to the manager tomorrow.  These kids have been trouble since they moved in, and supposedly there was going to be action taken, but nothing has and now its summer so they are out every day.  I feel like I can barely let my kid out.  I want to be able to move to a house, have a yard for them to play in, have simple things like a playset and a wading pool, but that just isn't in the budget right now and I hate it. 

Things to be grateful for-

We had a really nice time on Friday with my parents and sister.  The children ran around in their yard, we bbqed and made homemade smores.  Awesome. 

We finally got into Costco and were able to stock the fridge with healthy foods, produce, etc. 

Yardsaling has been so successful I'm almost done with my gift closet for the year.  I need some bigger objects for my children for Christmas, to buy a few gcs for people, and a gift for my niece in August.  Any ideas for a thrifty but useful gift for a grad going off to a dorm room?  I'm thinking a pop up hamper, some energy bars, maybe an itunes gc if I have the cash...? 

I found an awesome lady that delivers farm fresh eggs to my door...3 dozen for 5 bucks, people!  That's a great price for this area, I can barely get factory farm eggs for that price and thats with sales. 

All of you with little ones...I was able to sign up for a 14 day trial for reading eggs, a phonics website that also does elementary math.  It doesn't require a credit card, and you can print activity sheets during the trial.  We have only done one lesson so far, but I'm totally taking advantage of the activity sheets the next two weeks.  I'm going to try to buy some laminating pouches so we can do them over and over, but even a once off is worth it to save for antsy evenings and rainy days. 

#306 of 1405 Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

So we're not getting divorced. The boys and I are moving to our home town when we get our tax return next year so I can go to school. I'll live there until I'm done with school. 4-5 years. Weekends for family time as long as DH lives nearby. After school we will try moving in together again and see what happens. In the meantime I'm still "in charge" of the money, trying to get us debt free and set aside some $$ for me and the boys as needed.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#307 of 1405 Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM

babybird, any updates on communication with your sister???

happyhats, I'm jealous of your egg deal!!!  We pay $2.89 for a dozen factory farmed grocery store eggs so that's amazing.

micah_mae, I hope this plan works for you guys. I guess it's better than the alternative, which is permanently slamming the door on your marriage.  And even if you decide not to move back in together, at least you will already be moving forward with your life and settled in your new routines and it won't' be completely life-changing at that point.

This Friday we are going to the farmer's market for the first time this season.  Hoping we find some good deals.  We are only harvesting lettuce and broccoli in small amts from our garden so far and my kids are clamoring for goat cheese and breadsticks and all sorts of produce we don't have yet.  There's a lady there who makes the most AMAZING horseradish goat cheese in the entire world and my kids eat it by the spoonful.  It's JUST spicy enough to have a little kick to it at the end and it's perfect on apples.  It's always the highlight of our week to hit the farmer's market and hear some music and pick up honey sticks and eat some good food.  I love that they take food stamps.  Probably the one thing my state does really well is support our farmers.

#308 of 1405 Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

babybird, any updates on communication with your sister???

Nope, nothing. I tried calling her yesterday and it just rang, I planned on leaving a message but was upset, so decided against it. Then by accident my phone called her again, I realized it and hung it up at after the 1st ring. She knows I am trying to communicate with her, there is nothing else i can do. Unfortunately I fear i am one to hold a grudge so this behavior on her end will likely result in me drastically severing my ties with her for a very long while. Several times I got to the point where I was in near tears about it, going over in my head things that could have caused her to be mad at me and not want to talk. I can't keep up this guessing. I have ripples of drama from xdh, I do not want to be worried about any other relationships.

I tried calling gma this morning to see if my sister is communicating with her. I am so angry right now. My sister would really cut me off because she owes me money?!? Isn't it suppose to be the other way around?

So i got my brakes done, I may have got swindled as they said the rotors needed replacing as well and I said okay. 300$ for all the parts and labor. I know nothing about cars and I just took it in and they offered me the option of grinding the old rotors down and I just went ahead and got them replaced. xdh did all the car maintenance so I was clueless. But the brakes were squealing and pulling and grinding so I felt I better make sure all is fixed up for my own peace of mind.

gratefuls:

my neighbor asked if I would want his daughters old little tikes play structure with a slide etc. I was really wanting one for DD and he said he would get it to me later in the week.

a new single mom started up at my sunday school job. I won't be working with her but she was in my room so i could train her this past week. I am borderline desperate looking for irl friends nearby and I think we may hit it off though she works alot so not sure. But i am glad someone new is up there as it has just been me, the childrens pastor and the teen volunteers for months, glad to have another adult join the team.

#309 of 1405 Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM

hugs, babybird.  I sympathize with your situation. 

Today is just one of those days that nothing seems to be going right.  I tried to do some purging and organizing, but didn't get as far as I hoped.  I was hoping to get rid of a huge, broken down chest that holds our linens but realized that can not be unless I box up all my Wizard of Oz stuff (I turned the linen closet into a display case).  So I just folded and organized everything inside so it's not a jungle, organized and purged a bit of the kids' shoes, etc.  Tried to make slow cooker baked beans and had disasterous results.  I'm going to try a stovetop method next grocery trip.  My manager basically blew off our concerns about the bully children, while at the same time telling us that two more apartments have lodged complaints.  So now I'm going to write up a letter to the corporate office, listing all of the apartments that I personally know of that have had issues.  I think we will also be spending more time at my parents, using their backyard for summer fun.  At least they finally came in to look at our broken cabinet door and now they have to order a hinge, which ya know took three weeks to look at and realize, grrr. 

I need to dump my baked beans disaster and do some yard sale pricing.  I'm up to three totes for the summer sale.  There are a few other toys that will make their way into the yard sale box as well if I can sneak them out once the children aren't looking.  They have no real attachment to these toys, but keep taking them back out of the donate/yardsale pile when they see them, just to take up space in the playroom some more. 

Gratefuls-

Making copies of activity sheets for dd, for free

DD also got her free Missouri Conservation magazine today

Porksteak grilling in the roaster

The house smells like seasoned bread because I"m toasting leftover bread crumbs for tomorrows stuffing

#310 of 1405 Old 05-29-2013, 03:48 AM

happyhats, don't lose hope.  This happened to someone I know a while back and she raised her concerns to management, was pacified, and then a few weeks later the people moved out.  It's unclear whether they were evicted or not.  But they were gone.  So hopefully it's the same ending!

I know I don't share personal info much anymore and the crowd here has changed a lot over the years but I'm really stressed about next month.  I'm divorced.  I live off two separate child support orders.  That's scary because it's always just barely enough to pay the bills if you are careful and I have no savings.  It could stop at any minute(though I will say, they have not tampered with the garnishment for years).  If given the chance, one would bounce with no glances back whatsoever but the other is very involved and would be here and helping just as much as he could.  But my exhusband is changing jobs on Friday.  I've done my level best to be supportive and kind and not voice any fears for myself in this process but it's coming back to bite me.  The insurance is ending Friday.  The insurance that I rely on.  The insurance that we won't have for our ENT appt next Wednesday.  And I have a kid on two steroids and inhalers and a kid on $300 per month ADHD meds. Those come up for refill very shortly and can't be refilled before the appropriate day since they are expensive and controlled substances.  Those will be messed up.  And let's not even discuss the child support garnishment that will be ending.  I'll now have to wait about six weeks for the new order to take effect(that he has to call in himself by the way which he's awful at waiting until the last minute for) and in the meantime he'll be sending paper checks to the state who will be logging them and cutting me paper checks and all my bills will be late........if they are even paid at all.  AND he'll be going on a series of mini deployments over the next few weeks leaving me to deal with everything 100% at home.  That I'm used to, being a former active duty military spouse.  But now that we are divorced, it makes me angry that his service still affects me so deeply.  The child support during activation now that he's considered national guard is not cut and dry either so it's more complicated.  It's just effing my entire financial existance right now and I wanna punch him in the throat.  I know I'm obsessing more than I need to, as I'm prone to with my mental health issues, but it's just a huge mess of anxiety.  And his laissez-faire attitude about the whole thing makes it worse.  I CAN'T be that supportive, "I've got this, you go be everything you can be, I'll be great at home being a wife, mother, homemaker, support system, etc" from afar thing when we are divorced but yet we have a weird relationship thing.  There's all this uncertainty between us relationship-wise, which makes it hard for me to ask for an increase in child support(which granted, is extremely overdue and needs to be addressed) or a modification of the vistation.  I'm a hot mess right now.  

I'm sorry I just dropped a huge load in here.  I  NEVER share that much.  I just don't know where else to put it.  There's no one in my life who cares enough to listen or ask.  Unfortunately he is the closest thing to a best friend I have.  And we don't do money discussions.  We are polar opposites for most things, money included.  I just cannot keep living this close to such a perilous financial cliff.  It's been almost 6 years now.  It just beats you down to a tiny nubbin of human after a few years.

#311 of 1405 Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Oh, justmama, hold tight.  Can you go talk to dhs about emergency medications for the girls?  Talk to their docs about putting in prescriptions now or giving out some samples?  Hugs.  Just remember that soon your youngest will be going on to kindergarten and that will help you gain some kind of financial freedom. 

Found a yummy recipe for banana oat muffins.  I have a ton of frozen bananas waiting to be used up.  It calls for honey in place of sugar, but we are low on honey right now so sugar it will be.  It's only a half cup, I think that's still pretty healthy divided up into a dozen muffins.  I will be waiting until it cools off though.

#312 of 1405 Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM

Double posts from me! 

Justmama, maybe you should make your living as a psychic?  You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Just got word that management told the childrens' grandparents she had the option of putting in 30 days notice or being evicted.   The grandma opted for the 30 day notice but is now trying to say the management is somehow discriminating against her (for what??) so all the tenents now have to write formal letters.  That will be done tonight!

In other good news, I heard a town only fifteen minutes away now has a free splash park.  Woohoo! 

In not so great news, my children are eating me out of house and home.  We just went shopping last week, and things are looking stark again.  We need more fresh produce and I will probably have hubby pick up some spaghetti fixings.  Sauce is on sale, so with two boxes of noodles and two jars of sauce I can feed us two more meals (with leftovers) for four bucks.  But jeez, this family is going to be eating nothing but spaghetti pretty soon!   I will be looking up that old, old thread about stretching the meal budget. 

#313 of 1405 Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM

love.gif  I'm glad those little stinkers will be gone soon.  I swear this happened to a facebook friend of mine like, maybe 6 months ago???  Same situation.  Weird.  I'm glad you won't have to deal with them much longer.  When you are in a community living situation and someone is a jerk, it makes it miserable.

So no sooner had I sent off that rant then I went to the bus stop and realized my car was leaking oil BAD.  Like, not just a few drops but a giant ass puddle.  My heart just dropped.  So I get the big ones off to school, drop off the car at the shop, and the littlest one and I walk home a mile in the rain.  *sigh*  They call later and fortunately I got it in fast enough that there was still oil and there was no engine damage or anything.  Phew!  Just a leaky oil filter that was past time for replacement.  BUT he said that two of my tires were so bad he wouldn't drive out of the parking in my vehicle, much less put children in it and they needed to be done NOW because they could blow at any minute.  So I finally walk back there with the youngest again IN THE RAIN to pay them $260.77 for two new tires and an oil change and filter.  I just can't win.

Gratefuls:

-the walk in the rain uncovered a massive plague of snails that DELIGHTED my 5 year old.  She was cracking up screeching and running to find the next one.  No joke there were hundreds on the sidewalk and grass in a twenty foot stretch of road.  If it wasn't on my phone I'd have pictures to show but I can't seem to figure out the MDC site on my phone.

-a leaky oil filter could very well have saved my life and the lives of my children today.  If I hadn't brought it in for that leak, I could have blown a tire and killed us on the highway.

-the local marine biology place down the road is a huge benefit for our town and us personally.  Today we made it there with just 30minutes until closing(after my babysitting job ended late) and the kids were a little disappointed in the short amt of time.  But the owner who is always so nice to us not only let us stay 15minutes after closing but he let us feed the newborn dogfish sharks and gave my girls personalized tours of some of the tanks and showed them tricks the fish do.  It's really cool because it's all local animals from our bay that fisherman donate and they stay for a short time before going back in the water and my kids learn SO much there.

-a good dinner that was an epic WIN with the kids tonight.  Cheap AND yummy.  http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/  (tip: cut the chili powder to 2tablespoons if you don't want flames shooting out your face.  As my 12 year old put it, "ya know that Katy Perry song that goes "fireworks of dancing flames?  Yeah.  That's my mouth right now mom.")  For reference, my kids are proud omnivores.  They loathe beans.  But the lentils in this were a hit for the first time tonight.  

#314 of 1405 Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Currently rocking out some free printables for the kids!  The banana oat muffins were a huge hit last night, and we finished off the rest this morning for breakfast.  Tonight I'm making raisin oat muffins, and I have enough bananas to do the oat muffins once more.  Leftovers for lunch, and chicken macaroni casserole for dinner.  I'm currently freezing chicken stock for my sister.  I'm contemplating taking a break from whole chickens for a while, and simply picking up chicken thighs.  I don't need any more stock for some time and really it's only worth it with stock added.  Right now I'm getting organic chicken for 1.87/lb.  I think I"m able to get thighs for 99 cents, or even cheaper if I opt for non organic (which I prefer obviously but at least chicken is antibiotic free here anyway...um, or at least that's what all the packages say, lol) 

So I want to make my own ice cream this summer.  This family loves ice cream, and I'm tired of looking at all the extra ingredients on everything...blegh.  I know it's not super thrifty but I can get creamer in bulk at costco so that helps considerably.  Now to contemplate what kind of maker to get.  My parents have an ice cream maker I could borrow/take but it is the older model that takes rock salt.  They always complain its expensive.  Aldi this week has a model that doesn't need rock salt, only an aluminum bowl you keep in the freezer.  It's fourteen dollars, but I'm broke this week of course and you never know if aldi will still have an item the next week.  Or I could get the same model aldi has, but the hamilton beach version, when I have some extra funds, but that is more than double the price.  Which would you do if you were me?  Or is that a cheaper/free option I'm just missing.  I've never made ice cream before so I'm a bit clueless, and any recipes I ever find say to use a maker. 

#315 of 1405 Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Checking in.  Not sharing right now but keeping up with what everyone else has said.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#316 of 1405 Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/making-ice-crea-1/

Check out this link.  It's all scientific yo!  No really.  It's an MIT grad who got all crazy and wanted to make REAL ice cream not just icy sugar milk but not use an ice cream maker.  I've not tried his method but it sounds genius and I think I will.  http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2010/07/how-to-make-ice-cream-without-an-ice-cream-maker-the-food-lab.html

#317 of 1405 Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Hi, zebra. I've missed hearing from you!  Hope you are doing better! 

I've been burning up our thread the past couple days, mostly because I'm lurking on the internet looking up recipes and such. I did find a way to do ice cream sans maker.   The basic concept is to put your mixture in the freezer, and mix in every thirty minutes or so for three hours.  Then after that add any mix ins and stir it up again.  I'll be trying that in a couple weeks when we can buy some cream.  I'm also going to be trying the super simple, super thrifty banana ice cream I keep hearing about.  Basically take a banana that's a bit past it's prime, whip it in your blender with peanut butter (but I'm sure any other spread would work, personally I want to try nutella, yum!) and you have your own healthier version of soft serve. Not sure how mix ins would work, but I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a shot...worst thing that happens is you end up with a shake/smoothie.  It's also dairy free, and potentially vegan, for anyone that's a plus for. 

Next shopping trip I'm also going to be more ontop of hubby keeping all the processed food stuffs on the shelf.  He's pretty good at looking at labels, but I'm pretty militant about it, and when he goes to the store alone things mysteriously show up, lol.  The worst offender this week was cereal, not too horrible, but it galls me how products are touted as healthy when loaded with chemicals and sodium.  So yeah, I'll be making us granola or muesli or  we will be looking much more closely at labels...summer is bad for cereal around here. 

#318 of 1405 Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM

He he, that's the site I found too, justmama!

#319 of 1405 Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 AM

This is our favorite granola recipe(not the bars, I don't love them).  http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/06/16/recipe-connection-homemade-granola-and-granola-bars/  

This morning was an epic win AGAIN for breakfast.  Last night after my run I felt like dogpoo and since it was about 90 out, I didn't want to eat but after 5miles I needed something in my system.  So I chucked some frozen mango, fresh strawberries that my littlest didn't eat, some plain yogurt, and milk in the food processor and blended like crazy.  It was SO good and smooth and thick and it filled me up for a few hours until I had recovered enough to eat a little.  So that's what I did this morning for the kids along with some banana oat muffins from the freezer.  All 4 had seconds!  They said it tasted like ice cream and ate it with spoons.  No sweeteners, no processed stuff, and they licked their cups clean.  

Gratefuls:

-grocery day is tomorrow when the food stamps hit the card.  We need it.

-I got to see a newborn babe yesterday and she was so squishy and adorable.  She's a potential babysitting gig twice a week and my neighbor.  

-My garden is loving this heat.  Lettuce to harvest for lunch, broccoli is delicious, and the first strawberries and sugar peas are popping up. 

-found a bag of frozen peas stuffed in the back of the freezer behind the ice cube trays this morning to go in the kids' lunches.  just squeaking by this month with food but we made it!

-my parents found me a lovely Buddha statue for my garden on their vacation as a gift for taking care of the cat and the plants.  he's looking quite happy amongst the baby tomato plants.  

-my friend is mailing me a few tapers in various sizes to finish gauging my ears since I have been lacking in finances and have stalled out at a 10g.  Some of them are super pretty colors.  Pretty jewelry makes me happy.  I'm so easy to please.  They are a little more exciting than my years old amber necklace and 10g stainless steel spirals.  ROTFLMAO.gif

#320 of 1405 Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the recipe, sounds yummy.  I usually have everything on hand but nuts and sunflower seeds.  I can get nuts pretty cheaply at aldi, and my kids don't love sunflower seeds so we may just compensate with flax or chia and leave that be.  I found a very simple muesli recipe they enjoy that just uses nuts, brown sugar, oats, and raisins/dried fruit.  I never keep brown sugar on hand because I mix it myself when I need it, and once I get a bag of nuts I could do that recipe many times.

The muffins were a big hit for both breakfasts and snacks.  I think I'll make up another batch or two tonight since its kinda gloomy and stormy today. 

The last of our strawberries are looking kinda mushy, and my orange juice is a bit tart, so I'm thinking of mixing those together with a bit of yogurt and we will have some smoothies while we play outside a bit.

Last night before bed we read a book about wishing upon a star, and I asked my kiddoes what they would wish for.  My daughter said ice cream, lol.  I told her to go to sleep and maybe she would get her wish when she woke up.  Today I "happened" to find a container of hagen daaz hubby bought last weekend.  DD and Ds shared some with overly tired hubby for breakfast and I told them they had to wait until tonight for any more.  But those couple bites were pure magic to them.

Gratefuls-

Hubby brought home cookies from work.  Cookies are always something to be grateful for!

Hubby also told me he could bring bingo dobbers home from work, since they use them a couple times and then discard them for marking boxes...these are great for dot to dot printables for dd

Hubby might have another promotion on the horizon.  It would mean training and probably wouldn't mean a salary increase until next year.  But it would be a supervisor position, meaning he would work very little if at all on the floor anymore, and he could probably work some from home, meaning we could do more things together. 

#321 of 1405 Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Today is coming up pretty nicely.  My mother is loaning me money to go yardsaling with them and we picked a ton of flowers in our side yard.  My niece is bringing some to my sis, and we have enough for a small bouquet on the side table and another on the kitchen table.  My children ran around in mud puddles.  And remember my "ice cream maker dilemna"?  Well, I popped in to my sis' house to drop off some chicken stock I froze for her and some extra watermelon, and guess what is sitting on her floor?  The ice cream maker I wanted to buy but am too poor for this week!!  We live in the same complex so borrowing the maker is nothing, and now we will be having ice cream PARTAYS all summer long, lol.

#322 of 1405 Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Micah_Mae - I hope this works out. But I would make plans for if it didn't, and be sure the money you put back is in your name only just in case. 

Justmama - I am so jealous of your farmer's market - ours is nothing like that and very overpriced. We rarely go as it just isn't worth it. There is a larger one here in town I've been meaning to go to, but it's in the mornings and dd is not a morning person. Hope the job transition goes well - could you call your utility company and let them know what is going on and that you expect to have it by X date?

babybird - I totally hear you on the lack of IRL friends. I have 1 couple that is semi-friends with me and that is it. And I will likely loose them soon due to personal differences. 

Happyhats - can't recall where you are, but here at least there are facebook groups for selling stuff - kinda like craigslist but without the wierdo factor. I've been selling stuff on our local groups quite a bit lately. Glad to hear you are able to borrow a ice cream maker :) I have been on the lookout for a free / cheap coffee maker but no luck. 

Zebra15 - glad to see you check in :)

We're here, still barely getting by. The lack of a/c is really getting to us - we've had highs in the mid-90's most days lately, and it's supposed to be hotter next week. I've got 1 fan, and we've been using frozen washclothes to help stay cool but it only does so much, kwim? So mostly in the afternoons we go somewhere which ends up costings us at least bus fare & normally a drink / snack. I've been selling stuff online but it's just little bits and barely is covering it. I managed to sell enough to pay the internet bill, but nothing else. Waiting for late notices so that then I can go get help with the bill. It seems so stupid to me for agencies to make you wait until you have a red notice before they will help you - it's not like the money is going to appear for most folks - I know I can't pay it now so why make me wait? Even if the funds appear that just means I'm going to need help a different month, so what does it matter?

I am supposed to work a convention next weekend - the local Catholic homeschool convention needed someone to work their scholastic book fair, and they are paying $100 for a day and a half of work cashiering the booth. Plus I get 10% of the sales in book credits, so I'm thinking lay back some books for my dd for birthday & holidays. Wish they were paying the 10% in cash, but I'll take what I can get. They are also doing a used book sale and I have a bunch to sell, but they keep 30% of sales. Last year I sold like $150 worth before the 30%. There should be more traffic & sales this year since it's at the same time as the convention. Then the following week there is another used book sale where I get to keep all my profits, but I've never sold there before. 

Debating weather to use those funds to pay bills or to buy a lawn mower. My lawn guy charges $30 to cut my lawn, and normally it needs done every 2-3 weeks {I've been stretching it to once a month}. I can buy a refurb electric mower for $150, and the electric company will give me a $60 bill credit for buying it. 

Greatfuls:

~Food Stamps. Without it we would never make it. And ours comes in at midnight tonight :)

~My kindle. It keeps dd occupied during appointments - she puts her headphones on and has it read to her. 

~My house. For all the complaining I do about it, it is a roof over our head and I am so glad to not have rent or a mortgage on it. 

~Our city bus system. I can get most places and it is fairly cheap to ride. Plus dd loves to just ride the bus and see new parts of town. 

~My Love with food box :) Got it as a treat for myself for pennies, and this months was mom's day breakfast in bed. I got coffee, jelly, biscotti, and more. Had myself a wonderful morning with a cup of coffee and the biscotti - really refreshed me. If anyone has a good biscotti recipie I'm all ears - I want more :)

~My property tax protest went great - I was able to get it down to close to what we paid and half what they had it valued at. So our taxes for the year will only be around $800. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#323 of 1405 Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 PM

Frugalmama does your city bus system give reduced fares if you're on public assistance? I know some do. Or that you can buy a month's 'pass' for a reduced rate.  I wish you were local to me...I'm having a garage sale next week and I have a coffee maker in the sale! Maybe you can hit some garage sales and someone will have one in your area.   When you go on your trips, could you take a little cooler with drinks/snacks? I have a small 'foldable' type soft-sided cooler than is small--more like a large lunchsack I guess--and it's enough for a short trip. Then, you can fold it up and tuck it away when you're on your way back so you're not carrying it both ways. We also only drink water and just fill our reusable bottles as we travel. If we do a treat, we share something. Even if it's an ice cream bar. Really...those first few bites are the best anyway....so why not share 1 treat and then be able to get another the next day :) 

And...um....I'm wondering...did I ever intro myself on this thread!? I've been a long time reader...but not a huge commenter! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#324 of 1405 Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 AM

Oh foodstamps, I heart thee.  luxlove.gif  

Usually on Saturday mornings I accompany my mom and her friend to local yardsales for a little bit while my kids are with their dad.  This weekend I have them all weekend and after my car debacle I didn't have much money anyway to yardsale.  Well I scraped up $3 in change figuring I'd just tag along and my dad offered to take the girls for me.  At our first one at 8am I got a pale yellow cereal bowl-sized pyrex(I LOOOOVE vintage pyrex), a bedskirt that matches my bed, a full set of sheets for one of the kids and an origami kit for my oldest's birthday next month and because my mom put it in a pile of stuff she was getting, she just got a lump sum price from the lady and ended up buying it all for me.  I'm going to pay her the $1.75 it would have cost but I was so psyched.  For all that stuff!!!  I loathe having clutter and junk around and everything needs a purpose in our home and all of that will be used everyday or nearly so.  joy.gif  Good morning.

Now to pack up the kids for the second grocery store of the day and hopefully get some laundry up on the lines and the garden watered this evening.  It's another scorcher in the upper 80's low 90's.

#325 of 1405 Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 AM

Got hired at a second job. Two 12 shifts 9p-9a (I get to sleep!) So that will be an extra $800/month and won't affect my foodstamp benefits (we are allowed to make 2925 a month without needing to report changes. This is going to help us out sooooo much

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#326 of 1405 Old 06-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Rainy day, but we'll still let the kids play outside at my parents house if they want to.  And they will, heh.  Went yardsaling and did pretty darn well.  I found a nip graduation lessons dvd for my niece for her birthday with info like not accumulating debt, protecting your identity, shopping around for car insurance, and other things a young adult should really know in this world.  Got some goodies for my children, two sets of Christmas plates (these will be used year round when we have guests over as we didn't have enough dishes for special occasions), a nice new bed frame for my bed, a trike for ds now, and a bike I'm saving for Christmas.  The bike was only 3 dollars, and by next summer he'll be ready for one (sniffle, sniffle).  It needs a cleaning and some training wheels.  I'm hoping to find training wheels super cheap on facebook selling sites, but I also saw them on amazon for around 11 bucks. 

My mother also gave me another 10 kohls card.  She keeps getting them in the mail.  I'll probably use it next week when we have to make a run to the city anyway.  My niece is having a grad party, and for the price of gas there will be food and free swimming...plus ya know, visiting with family.

Justmama, we do have a couple facebook sites I may end up using.  My sister has a yardsale with a friend every year but I am not sure what will go on this year because of her new work schedule.  If she never has it I may sell a few things in lots and donate the rest.  I figure its all stuff I was going to donate through the year anyway and really I've only put a couple hours investment in it if that, while I'm sitting around watching tv.  But more money is always great.  Also, if I was you I would use the funds for a window a/c, or at least a couple more fans.  First and foremost you have to stay healthy in this heat.  Maybe a combo of fans and the lawnmower?

#327 of 1405 Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Momsteader - no they don't here. Only discounted fare is for seniors. Kids pay half fare, but it's still $52 a month for passes for dd and myself. I'm going to try to get a half fare card at the college I used to go to, that would make it $35 a month for dd and myself. Hoping they haven't changed the student ID's since I left 6 years ago. Once fall comes I can pay $35 and dd gets a pass good for August until the end of December, but I gotta get to August first :) If they haven't changed the student ID's at my old college, I can do the same for myself this fall which will really help a lot. 

And we've been doing the cooler bit & taking snacks - but with all this heat here I found it's cheaper & easier on me to just buy drinks wherever we go rather than lugging them around all day especially since we have to walk a half a mile in the heat to and from the bus stop to our house. If we are headed to someplace that takes FS {like Walmart} I try to just buy dd a snack with FS there rather than carrying it. A lot of times lately we head to walmart or the grocery store & dd naps in the cool in the cart while I just browse. Otherwise, there is a local BBQ place here that has locations all over town that gives .50 refills on their tea, and we have one of their reusable tea mugs so that is pretty cheap. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#328 of 1405 Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM

I've been feeling a little bit "manic" the past few days so I've done a ton of decluttering.  Since I got a new platform bed frame yardsaling, the boxspring went to the curb.  I went through my little outdoor storage closet and was able to part with a few Christmas things (the majority of what I have out there), rearranged and purged a few things from the toy room and was able to take out a shelf, and went through all the kids' clothing they are waiting to grow into.  Now I have a pretty good idea what needs to be looked for at yard sales-clothing for dd to grow into this fall and next spring.  DS is almost completely set for the next year with the exception of maybe a few pairs of shorts.  I need to get my sister to take out these huge boxes of clothing just hanging out in her storage unit that were given to her...she's a a majorly disorganized packrat so instead of dealing with them she just put them in a rented unit.  I'm hoping there are some things for dd in there.   I was also able to purge enough sheets that I could get the massive, ugly chest out of there I've been wanting to get rid of. I found someone on a new facebook freecycle site that wants it, so off it goes!

I may have a lead on a dollhouse and some legos for my dc for Christmas.  I know, far far in the future but December is a pricey month for us so I like to buy ahead as much as possible, and spring and summer is when everyone likes to sell stuff.  My birthday is the first of December, then my ds is the 16th and my dd the 18th, and then of course Christmas.  There's extra going out, extra food and baking goods bought, we buy a live tree each year, etc.  So it would be truly awesome to have Christmas gifting done/nearly done. 

DD is feeling a bit under the weather tonight.  I'm sure it's just a bug and/or maybe a case of running around so much in the summer heat she's worn herself out.  So with her not wanting to eat (her tummy is a bit off) and my son eating a like a toddler bird lately I haven't bothered to make dinner.  I made oatmeal muffins for breakfast before she started complaining of feeling bad, and we have munched on those and little things in the fridge.  Hope hubby enjoys chicken nuggets for dinner, lol. 

Speaking of hubby he is due to work at least ten hours of overtime this week, and he might be working eighteen.  Great check, which we can always use, but it will slightly be a bummer because he'll have to work the day of my niece's graduation party. 

#329 of 1405 Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 AM

Sharlla, congrats on the job.  I hope you are able to enjoy a little breathing room in the bills.

frugalmama, I don't know how you do it with the bus.  The bus intimidates me.  The schedules online are difficult to figure out and the buses never seem to run on time around here.  I give you so much credit for negotiating that with a child.

Happyhats, We have a 2week span for Christmas and the first week of January that's super expensive too.  Christmas Day, youngest daughter's birthday Jan 5, middle daughter's birthday Jan 7th. *sigh*  I always have to prepare months ahead of time so I totally hear you.  If they would have decided to be born closer to their due dates it would have been much more financially feasible at the end of February.  ROTFLMAO.gif  Damn overachievers.

The kids' dad is going to be gone for much of the next month on a series of mini-deployments so that makes my life a little hectic having them 24/7 with no breaks and then school is out and we have summer vacation.  I am looking forward to July already.  lol.gif  I scavenged through my parents' garage this weekend and reallocated some trellising supplies to myself.  I found some wood scraps and chicken wire and I made a few trellises for my peas, green beans, and cucumbers so hopefully that will work.  I was WAY overzealous this year and in order to pack everything into that 15ftx4ft strip of sunny yard I have to create a double-decker garden.  Hahaha.  But it'll be nice when it's in full swing.  And I have spent less than $40 on the whole thing thankfully.

Gratefuls:

-made some extra cash babysitting last week so I can pay the electric termination notice.

-somehow my lavender is coming back green at the tips from a winter of death and being covered in snow.  Does it do that???  

-tonight the kids go with dad for a few hours so I get to go for a much-needed run.  It's been nearly a week since I've run(or been away from my kids) and I'm just trying to make it until tonight.

-online video streaming.  I got to watch Game of Thrones last night(which was SHOCKING by the way) for free since I don't have cable.

#330 of 1405 Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Still here... still mute...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page