~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1405 Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Micah_Mae, I also agree that unless your cost of living is WAY cheaper than mine, your food might be a little low.  I have one adult, one teen, and two kids to feed and I spend $440 per month on food.  If we HAD to cut it to $400, we could but it would be EXTREMELY difficult.  Then again, we are in New England so........

frugalmama, that's a HUGE amt of produce for that amt!  I'm impressed!

Happy Father's Day to all of you who do double duty as mom AND dad.  I have to ruin my landlord's father's day today and tell him that the roof is leaking.  :(  He's a nice guy too.  Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow.  But the ceilings in both bedrooms now have HUGE water marks and the paint is bubbled up in both rooms.  We've had a TON of near constant rain lately so I'm sure that's the reason but.....it sucks.  I'm not sure what he's gonna say.  

It's been kind of a rough few days for several reasons related to both money and my relationship.  The plan all along was to wait until September when my youngest is in full day K but I am moving it up and I'm looking to get a job ASAP.  I have been out of steady work out of the home for the last 8 years though I've held many short term jobs or wahm type jobs.  It's going to be a massive adjustment putting my kids in daycare and working outside the home full time.  And my oldest is turning 13 next month so daycares won't take her.  I'm going to have to figure out something for her.  I don't know what yet.  I'm hoping to find a CNA training class but I think they are all starting in the fall so I'm not sure how this will go.  *sigh*  It's never easy.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 1405 Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Justmama - that's what I said too - WOW that's a lot! For $10 more you can get all organic too - they got different stuff but very full box for the price IMO. They do add-ons too - bread, themed packs {like this week was tropical fruits with mangos, vanilla beans, ginger, mint, pineapple, etc}, etc. I priced the items I got at the grocery story afterwards, and they easily added up to $30-$40 and the ones in the grocery weren't as nice either! They are a nationwide group, but it's more like a co-op - you contribute earlier in the week and then the basket is a surprise for what's in it mostly as they take the $$$ and see what they can do. Bountifulbaskets.org is the website. It's all volunteer run though so locations are only where someone has stepped up and agreed to organize it. 

Sucks on your roof - I would tell him ASAP though as the longer you leave a leak the worse it gets & more repair has to be done. And I hear ya on the gotta go back to work bit - that's why I'm praying this gig working for a WAHM company works out so I don't have to go back into the workforce & put dd in public school. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#363 of 1405 Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Micha- those numbers are low-  I'm a single mommy with one kid, trying to homeschool, go to school myself and work.  I'm ALWAYS over budget.

We are always needing something.  This month it was new shoes for kiddo (went from kids shoes to adult shoes, add in $140 for keens and sneakers- kid has bad feet and odd size)

I also dont see any 'activites' on the list.  Are there homeschool classes, clubs, teams your kids will eventually want to do?  We are members of the science center and zoo.  When my son was younger he took many classes at those places. ($5-125 per class/session)  Now its swim team, theater and art classes.$$$

Plus I'm always on the hunt for art supplies, swim shorts, groceries, homeschool supplies, office supplies etc.

Running a household alone is expensive. Somenights im just too tired,exhausted, mentally hurting to make dinner and reach for premade items.

Don't even look at my budget and my begging when it comes time for birthday parties, or my kiddos birthday and other holidays.

I'm not saying it can't be done on your budget, but its going to be very very stressful on that budget.

Your move sounds exciting and starting over is always fun!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#364 of 1405 Old 06-16-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Justmama-  IDK how many kids you have or hold old they are but I dropped the sitter when kiddo was 10.  So he's been home for almost 3 years.  He has a cell to call me and now that he will be 13 (omg how did that happen) at the end of summer, he can pretty much go where he wants.  We have a market at the end of the street (Chipolte, icecream place, UPS store etc) he walks to swim club, right here at the club where we live,  If he had younger siblings he would be ok watching them during the day.  

Maybe see if your red cross has the 'babysitting' class, have your dd take that and then she can stay home with the littles??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#365 of 1405 Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Aw poo.  There's no Bountiful Baskets locations in my state or my surrounding states.  greensad.gif

zebra, I thought about that and she IS turning 13 but she's very immature.  Most of these ADHD kids don't mature at the same rate as their peers and I'm still worried about her burning the house down if I leave her for 20minutes.  I've been giving her little bits of freedom to stay home for 20 minutes while I pick up the middle one from the bus stop and keep the 5 year old with her or this morning I took the middle one to the grocery store for 15 minutes with me while the oldest kept the 5 year old at home.  She's got a cell phone(a necessity since we don't have a house phone).  I think I'll look into that babysitting class.  I think they do them occasionally through the library.  And then talk to my ex about first letting HER stay home for longer periods of time alone and then we'll see.  Neither of us are comfortable letting her be alone at home for very long yet, much less with her siblings to care for.  I know she'd be okay for probably an hour or two by herself but I can't trust her longer than that.

#366 of 1405 Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Justmama- thats a tough one...  is there a mama near you who needs a 'helper'.  Some daycare mom's need extra help in the summer.  Some moms with lots of kids needs helpers... would she be ok with a 'job' of sorts??

Do you live in a major city?  is she able to handle volunteering??  My kiddo would love to volunteer at the library and science center etc but he is just too busy with school and swim team.

i just looked at bountful baskets.... that would save me a TON of time at the grocery store...   somethng to think about.... hummmm

#367 of 1405 Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama 

I did a splurge last week, and I'm so glad I did. Ordered from Bountiful Baskets - just the basic basket though nothing fancy, and we will definitely be trying to fit it in the budget again. They don't take FS, but they have the most wonderful produce I've ever seen - so super fresh! We spent $20 cuz it was our first time {there is a 1st time basket fee, next time will only be $16.50}, and ended up getting 2 big cukes, 8 nectarines, 8 golden delicious apples, 1 casaba melon, 1 tub of mushrooms, 3 avocados, 2 orange bell peppers, 1 huge bag of white grapes {and they were super sweet!}, 1 living butter lettuce, 5 bananas, and 10 big brussel sprouts. I traded my avocados, mushrooms, and brussel sprouts to other folks picking up, so I got extra cukes, extra bananas, and 2 onions :)  Not sure what to do with the melon, the lettuce, and the bell peppers - we don't normally eat those things and neither dd nor myself like salad. Might end up giving the melon to a friend :) 

We are die-hard BB'er here! I get an organic basket, 2 conventional, and multiple add-ons every other week (we only get it every other week in my small town). And I use the produce as the basis of every.single.meal.and.snack. Melon, you can dehydrate, and it tastes like 'candy' or we think so :)   Peppers you could chop into things or stuff with rice/tomato type stuff and bake. Lettuce you could use for 'wraps' instead of bread. It will live for a long time in your fridge. Check out their blog and FB page too for lots of ideas on what to make with what you get. If you're a bread eater, their bread is really good too. Freezes well and is tasty. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#368 of 1405 Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Justmama- thats a tough one...  is there a mama near you who needs a 'helper'.  Some daycare mom's need extra help in the summer.  Some moms with lots of kids needs helpers... would she be ok with a 'job' of sorts??

Do you live in a major city?  is she able to handle volunteering??  My kiddo would love to volunteer at the library and science center etc but he is just too busy with school and swim team.

i just looked at bountful baskets.... that would save me a TON of time at the grocery store...   somethng to think about.... hummmm

hug2.gif  I really like you Zebra.  You are full of great ideas.  I'm going to check those things out.  I have to call around today and see how soon I can get into a CNA training class.  I need something before mid-August.  I may end up having to take a position at like Dunkin Donuts or something stupid until then but.....  

She would be great with a "job."  I also won't feel so bad when she starts school again in the fall and she's only alone for a few hours but for the summer it would suck.  There's also the local rec program.  I'm not sure how old they accept kids and they spend every.single.day at the park all.day.long.  But it's care.

#369 of 1405 Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to cry here today and hopefully you great mama's will understand.  I just can not deal with being gluten free anymore.  It's adding to my stress and everything else.  I'm so sick of eating salad but ironically that is a 'safe' food.  Produce is 'safe'.  Chicken is 'safe'.  I start trying to make something that resembles a normal traditional meal and I get so sick.  Buying GF food is expensive and only is done as a 'treat'.  This whole thing is just frustrating.  I had food issues to begin with (probably borderline eating disorder because it was control issues over food) but this is just crazy around here.  Its hotter than he!!, and fighting with food just is too much.  I really just need to cry.

Produce is expensive, the amount of produce DS and I go thru in a week is INSANE.

ok....  toddler tantrum over...  return to your regular programming

#370 of 1405 Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 PM

I just saw this dessert recipe the other day, zebra, and am planning to make it for my DH. You can sub the frozen cherries with something else - strawberries seem to be pretty reasonable, here, lately. It doesn't have anything with gluten in it and still looks delicious.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/06/berries-on-a-cloud-best-dessert-of-the-summer.html

Do you like rice? We've been eating a lot more rice and sweet potatoes since DH went gluten free. It's a pain sometimes, for sure, and I hear you on the expense. I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged today. Let me know if there is anything is particular you are craving; I might have a recipe for it.

#371 of 1405 Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM

Zebra, I'm sorry you are feeling awful.  I know I've said this before but that sounds ridiculously hard.  I know I would do it if I had to medically but I think I would throw lots of tantrums because I can't imagine HOW I would do it.  

Here's a small group of recipes I have on hand in my bookmarks that maybe you can work with.  Might help you get back into the swing of getting excited to cook.  I get really frustrated cooking two meals every single day 3 times a day because my kids are omni and picky and I'm vegetarian.  I get burnt out and start buying expensive processed crap or feeding them chicken nuggets because it's fast and getting myself whatever junk food is in the cabinets so I don't have to cook.  But sometimes a new yummy sounding recipe will spark some kitchen interest and get me back into the groove of cooking everything from scratch.  I've tried all of these and these are family favorites for us.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fresh_basil_pesto/

http://beautythatmoves.typepad.com/beauty_that_moves/2008/12/really-bad-photos-totally-awesome-recipe.html

http://www.veggienextdoor.com/everyday-happy-herbivore/

http://www.fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.com/2011/09/baked-spiced-chickpeas-secret-recipe-club/

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/01/11/recipe-breakfast-casserole-bites/ (minus the bread, maybe sub for gluten-free bread if you have it?  Or just without.)  

http://powerhungry.com/2011/09/homemade-trio-bars-and-homemade-kind-bars/

#372 of 1405 Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Zebra - *hugs* I don't know if it would help, but I have heard that in some states if you are following a special diet {like GF, Feingold, etc} per Dr's orders, and get a letter from your Dr. stating that due to this diet your grocery costs are much higher, they will increase your FS allotment. I remember there was a mama on another board I used to be on who did that and got like double or 2.5 times the FS amount for a couple of her kids as they needed a special diet. Also on the produce if you can look into Bountiful Baskets - I posted about it above and it, for me at least, came out cheaper than buying at the grocery store. They don't take FS though :( Or call your local food bank - I know here there are a few locations that give out produce - maybe some give out GF stuff too? Maybe if you can get a little help with groceries it might make it easier as then you can use FS to cover other things like GF "traditional" foods?

I'm sitting here at home, high is supposed to be 96 today, and I have a sick kid with a sore throat, headache and fever of 102 :( Trying to get her well enough to go spend the afternoon at walmart in the cool - I figure as long as she stays in the cart & doesn't touch anything it would be okay, right? I always wipe down the cart area with those sanitizing wipes afterwards anyways. Praying it isn't West Nile Virus - she has been so covered in mosquito bites that it looked like chicken pox on her legs, but the alternative to letting her outside is either: A - staying inside a hot house with no a/c and only 2 window screens {both at the other end of the house} & 1 box fan or B - staying gone until it cools off, but that puts us coming home about dusk when the mosquitos are worst. I got her one of those natural bug bracelets, but she'd have to wear 5 of them just to keep the mosquitos off her they are so thick here. I hate to spray her with anything with deet, but I may have to just to keep them off her. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#373 of 1405 Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM

frugalmama, do you have a yard?  Any buckets?  Yesterday I sent my 5 year old outside on the deck in the backyard with the door propped open and one of those shallow sink-sized buckets you can get at the dollar store and some of my measuring cups.  She got naked and spent about 45 minutes sitting in the bucket, dipping her feet, and pouring water from one cup to another.  It was probably a gallon of water?  It was a nice quiet, cheap activity that kept her cool while I made lunch and then ate outside with her(she had already eaten).  

Re: the mosquitos, have you tried making your own bug spray?  I'm hoping to find enough cash for some of the essential oils in homemade spray so I could make my own but it's a little pricey.  It would save you over the natural kinds that are so outrageous though.  Here's a recipe I found quickly but there's a TON of them out there if you do a quick google.

http://www.survivingthestores.com/homemade-mosquito-repellent.html

#374 of 1405 Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to need to try bountiful baskets for 3000org or something.  the produce and most of the groceries from the weekend (saturday) are gone and its barely lunch on tuesday.

The rest of my meal plan looks like this

Lunch tues-  

DS- left overs ( 1/2 burrito, small bit of hamb helper, mac salad, broccoli)

mom-??

Dinner tues-

Pork patties  

couscous

baked carrots

Egg salad on kangaroo bread for DS, GF bagel bites for me, tomato

Snack

ice pops/ rice ice cream

GF muffin mom, DS hot cocoa (yes its 112 degrees here, do not ask)

mom- still hungry, had apple and PB much later

Weds

Breakfast

DS- breafast in a bag

mom- GF muffins

Lunch

DS- Taipei meal, apple

mom- salad, apple

Dinner

DS- broccoli ??

mom- salad, apple

snack

ds ice pops

mom- rice cakes w/ pb

Thurs

Breakfast

DS- breakfast in a bag

mom GF muffins

Lunch

ds Pita pocket sandwiches

Mom- deli meat plate (cheese sticks, tomatoes, rice crackers)

Dinner

DS maybe eggs and 'toast' of some sort??

mom

Friday

DS- out with friend

mom- whatever is left

*fillers for DS are yogurt, granola bars,   there are 4 apples left in the huge fruit bowl, and a small container of watermelon in the fridge.  There is no way i can ration food for DS. he is 12 and on the swim team.  He grew like 4 inches in the past month or so ... he grew 2 shoe sizes in the past couple months...  he needs food.

I seriously can NOT go to the store mid week.  I barely have $100 in FS until the 7th.  We really need bananas but idk if i can trust myself to get just bananas if i go to the store...eyesroll.gif

I'm going to need to call my mom for rent money again plus extra for utilities.... she is going to be overtly mad.   I have no idea what to do.  

I did pick up a couple boxes of Chex cereal last week (coupon and sale)... I've been snacking on that.   GF and tastes good...  Just never ever gonna be 99c or free like the super cheap cheero's store brand stuff.  ugh.... 

#375 of 1405 Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM

frugalmama, if you can grow some lemongrass, it works as a mosquito repellent. You just pick a handful, crumple it, and rub it all over your skin. I'm not sure how long it lasts but it does work.

#376 of 1405 Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I agree with the lemon grass, or I have HUGE success with growing lemon balm in my front yard. It's also a good tea or all kinds of other things. I love herbs and researching all of their properties.

Zebra, one of my friend's is partially GF her dad has a HUGE allergy, ill ask her for some recipes for you. I know she has a ton. Most are pretty simple and yummy enough that I eat them. (I have an issue with the texture of most GF foods for some reason, they're just weird to me) But I think it'll help with your rut you were talking about smile.gif

- - - -
#377 of 1405 Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

heyxx- yes the 'texture' of GF is a bit ummm.... different at times.   I have a few GF cookbooks but everything seems to need so many different ingredients (xantham gum) comes to mind.  I'm just keeping it simple around here.

I have an appt with the gastro dr in a couple weeks.  Hoping they have some magical ideas.

Traditional school starts August 7th.  Hoping for subbing jobs shortly thereafter.  

I was able to snag a free pass to the botanical gardens, they have 'flashlight nights' 2x a week.  We are set to go on thursday. woohoo!!!

#378 of 1405 Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM

One more week.  One more week.  I can handle one more week of school and then I won't be walking to the bus stop twice a day and packing two lunches and snacks and scheduling my life around school.  praying.gif  I ended up buying a BUNCH of pansies on super clearance at Lowes about a month ago because they were half dead.  I repotted them and cared for them and now I have 3 overflowing buckets of beautiful healthy pansies to give to the kids' teachers for end of the year gifts.  It's not much but they both go to Title 1 schools.  ALL the kids are poor.  So they don't expect much unfortunately(or fortunately depending how you look at it).  And honestly, the pansies cost me $2.25 total.  winky.gif

Mulberries should be ripening right now near our old house.  I think I'm taking the kids over there this weekend to snag some.  They love to forage for food.  And in late August, early Sept the grapes will be ripe and we'll be picking and processing as many as we can.  I have a really good spot that NO ONE picks and last year I processed nearly 50lbs of concord grapes into jelly and juice.  faint.gif LOVE free food!

I am running into some trouble with a job for fall.  I am trying to get into a CNA training class(yeah, I know it's crap money) but it looks like a lot of places aren't doing them anymore.  The state-run class is $3800.  yikes2.gif  I have two choices of classes right now, neither of which is ready to sign up for so I'm a little panicky that I won't get in.  Just my obsession for the moment I guess.  I suppose if that falls through I get a cashier job at the grocery store or whatever until I CAN get in.  Also, since all my girls will be in school now I MAY be able to get myself back into school and work part-time.  Just another thought I'm kicking around.  The idea of student loans don't thrill me but I'm hoping for pell grants to supplement it at the local community college if that's the road I take.  I guess it all hinges on this CNA class which is really nerve-wracking.  Even after I take the class and get a job I would need to figure out how to pay for daycare and if I qualify for daycare assistance.  And I have a feeling that with my child ssupport and working I wouldn't get my food stamps anymore so there's that......  Bettering yourself hurts I guess.

#379 of 1405 Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Unless cna works pays substancially more in your area than in mine, I wouldn't pay for it.  If you want to do medical/healthcare work and are interested in schooling I would personally look into medical assistant, nursing assistant, med tech, etc.  Many of those jobs would give you better access to daytime/school hours, and you might even be able to work as a school nurse.  I'm so jealous of your free grapes, btw!

I'm so happy we have free water.  For the past couple days my two little ones have become obsessed with "swimming" in the tub with various plastic toys.  It does splash up my floor but its hours of stress free fun for them.

Did my grocery shopping list for the week.  As much as I loathe walmart, we will be comping a bunch of stuff from them this week.  Its just a lot simpler than running to four or five stores in a couple day period, and recently we've had decent luck with their produce and meat (biggest things I used to have an issue with comping due to quality). 

Hubby and I celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary today.  It's crazy how far we've come.  We literally had nothing when we got married.  We were living in a tent on someone's back porch, hubby was fighting with his family and couldn't get into school because his parents wouldn't fill our their forms for his fafsa, I often couldn't go into the house or would have to sleep in our car because my asthma was going crazy since the people we were living with had like 20 cats.  And our car was completely illegal and rarely had enough gas to get across town in, lol.  We've had some rough times since being married as well, but things have progressively gotten better.  We have a stable, nice home, two healthy kids, and hubby has a good paying job.  We were able to get off food stamps this year, we have a newer car that runs, we are starting to pay back debt, etc.  I am not trying to brag or sound smug, honestly.  I am just expressing how blessed I feel, and I really hope and pray things continue to get better for every mama on this board as well. 

#380 of 1405 Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Justmama - we have a wonderful yard & buckets. I have been letting her out to play some with the water, but 1. We can't run it for long periods of time or the water bill skyrockets, and 2. if code compliance sees her out playing with water we will get a ticket as we're under water restrictions due to a drought. But in the afternoon when it's 95+ and feels like an oven - even water doesn't help much. I'll look into making my own spray - thanks for the link. I broke down and bought a big can of generic Off at Walmart, haven't used it on dd yet but I have been spraying the cracks & holes in the window screens at night and it seems to really help keep the bugs out. 

I am jealous of your free food too - wish we had that here. 

I totally agree with happyhats on the CNA class - here it isn't worth the $$$ either, even if you take it with Goodwill Academy which is like $1800 for the whole program. I would go the community college route if possible and do something like an LVN nursing program or RN would be better, if you are wanting to get into the medical field. 

Zebra - teenage boys are rough on a food budget :) Does he need to be GF? I think I remember you saying only you were GF. Could he eat something not GF & lower cost {but still healthy} to help fill him up & free up grocery $$$? I know a lot of places right now are doing free summer food programs for kids under 18 - maybe he could eat breakfast & lunch at one of those to help fill him up? Even if it's extra meals on top of what you have, the extra calories sound like they might do him good since he is growing so much right now. 

Happyhats - so glad to hear about your blessings :) It lets me know that there is light at the end of the tunnel of low-income poverty. 

Ended up taking in my dd to the Dr today as her fever was still high & her throat was hurting. Throat looked fine, but she had a bulging ear drum {the one place she said didn't hurt!} so she is now on high dose antibiotics. Dr said if there was any strep going on meds for the ear would knock it out too :) I'm not a big fan of antibiotics, but they have their place and time, and this was it. 

Turned out to be a good day, even with dd sick. Because we take the bus, we had to go through 2 transit centers each way to change buses on the way there & back. Well they were having a "dump the pump" event going on with prizes today. Spun the prize wheel on the way over at transit center #2, won a free July bus pass for me {$35 saved!}, then on the way home they were at transit center #1, spun again and WON ANOTHER FREE BUS PASS! Going to try to sell the second one for $25, and use that $$$ to pay for dd's half fare pass {$17.50} and have a little left over. If it doesn't sell then I'll just use it for dd :) Huge help on the budget either way - and I was already trying to figure out where I could cut for July. 

Still waiting to hear back about the possible WAHM gig working for another WAHM. Thinking of emailing her again, but don't want to be pushy, KWIM? Really have to get something going though - I need to buy a lawnmower ASAP so I can keep the grass short. Saw TWO dead snakes in the street while taking DD to the Dr today - both pretty good sized ones. Thankfully neither was a rattler, but I HATE SNAKES in any form. I'm terrified that if I leave the back door open to cool the house, a snake will find it's way inside. Really need to get screen doors ASAP for the front & back, then I can breathe a bit easier. 

#381 of 1405 Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 AM

Justmama, I tried your bread recipe yesterday and was very impressed.  I don't think I let it rise quite long enough, but the texture is great and defenitely "sandwichy". I was a little intimidating about using a kneading recipe, as one I tried out was very messy, but to be honesty I barely had to knead this at all and the texture was still awesome.  I'm going to try it again tomorrow or Friday, letting it rise longer and possibly finding a warmer place for it. 

I just spent two hours rearranging stuff to save ten bucks.  LOL.  I did manage to purge some stuff at the same time though.  I feel like the kids stuff really needs a purge, but I don't know what to do.  They actually play with all of their stuff, and it isn't even THAT much but we have to store all the outside toys in the house and that takes up a lot of square footage.  We have a bike rack outside but its overrun, and there isn't any place to really store it outside.  I've seen those tent like storage units, and I wonder if they would let us put something like that up?  Just thinking out loud.  I also don't like the way my living room is arranged currently, but I loathe our current desk even more and the arrangement "hides" it.  So until I can get a new desk this arrangement will stay even though it's not as spacious. 

#382 of 1405 Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 PM

Zebra, this came across my facebook newsfeed a little bit ago and I thought of you.  http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/amazing-gluten-free-desserts-for-valentines-day  Also, I second whoever suggested it(frugalmama?) but our town does a free summer lunch program.  It's right up the street from us and it's brand new so we've not attended yet but I think we might go a few times this summer to see what it's all about.  I know some free lunch programs are based at elementary schools but ours is at the playground at the bus stop around the corner.  Soooo, I'm guessing it'll be mostly sandwiches?  We'll see.  Might come in handy when we are short on food at the end of the month.  I bet your son would love to go to something like that and have food he doesn't get at home ya know?  And it couldn't hurt your budget any.  

frugalmama, I understand about the heat.  You sound like you live in the south with the heat and the rattlers and the serious mosquitos.  We used to live in North Carolina and it was sometimes pretty impossible to be outside with the heat and humidity for SO many months of the year.  I have pictures of my middle daughter in just a pinned flat carving a pumpkin the day before Halloween.  Here in New England we wear jackets and long johns under our halloween costumes.  eyesroll.gif  It is nice to be free of rattlesnakes though.  And tornadoes.

happyhats, I can't imagine apartment living with small kids.  That's gotta be hard.  Part of my salvation is being able to tell my kids to go outside and play while I make dinner or when they are driving me crazy.  Having to be out there the entire time supervising them would be so hard!  I'm glad you liked the bread though.  I'll be honest and say that I don't knead and rise and knead again.  I knead the first time, toss into the pans to rise, and bake when they are risen.  I'm too lazy and I didn't like how much it rose the second time.  It didn't rise enough for my liking.  But the flavor and softness was perfect for sandwiches so I felt good with that.  I use coconut oil instead of olive oil as well.

Spent the day with my 5 year old at the zoo today.  Thankfully they have a water play area where we spent most of our time.  Packed a lunch.  My girls are going to their dad's house for dinner so I'm hoping for a quick run and a nice leisurely dinner.  I could really use some quiet time.  It's only 2 hours but I'm going to enjoy all 120 minutes of it.lol.gif

#383 of 1405 Old 06-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Our summer lunch program serves a hot entree, a piece of fruit, a veggie, and milk. This week included a rib sandwich (like a McRib from McDonald's), a chicken patty sandwich, a hamburger, and a hotdog. The fruit changed every day - apples, oranges, pears, bananas. One day the veg was a bag of baby carrots, another it was a piece of raw broccoli, and today it was a celery stick. It's not "ideal" food but they are trying really hard to offer a variety and decent nutrition. I think it's definitely worth checking out.

#384 of 1405 Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

Our summer lunch program serves a hot entree, a piece of fruit, a veggie, and milk. This week included a rib sandwich (like a McRib from McDonald's), a chicken patty sandwich, a hamburger, and a hotdog. The fruit changed every day - apples, oranges, pears, bananas. One day the veg was a bag of baby carrots, another it was a piece of raw broccoli, and today it was a celery stick. It's not "ideal" food but they are trying really hard to offer a variety and decent nutrition. I think it's definitely worth checking out.

Pretty much the same as ours. We have 3 sites within 2 miles of us - 2 breakfast / lunch sites at schools, and then the library does a cold lunch / snack. We have only been to the library one so far, but I've seen the menus for the school sites and they are decent IMO. The library cold lunch is pre-packed, and it's been mostly sandwiches {pb&j, ham, etc}, hot dogs or the like, along with cheese, normally 2 fruits, and milk. Snack has been milk & cereal every time we've gone. At the library site they have a "share & trade bin" so kids can put anything they don't want in there & get something else, or if they are still hungry they can get more from the bin. Works pretty good IMO. 

#385 of 1405 Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 PM

Went to my parents for dinner, and the kiddos got to enjoy the kiddie pool my parents filled for them.  It's hard sometimes not being able to provide a swingset or pool, etc, for my kiddos, and I'm blessed my parents have that stuff.  But I remind myself they get to look for turtles, see bees and birds and bugs, pick flowers, and ride their bikes here.  I don't sit outside with them constantly-I'm lucky we live in a safe, quiet complex-but I poke my head out probably every five minutes.  My niece is almost ten and sort of like my mothers helper, as she is outside playing with my kids a lot. 

Tomorrow we are taking the kids to the splash pad and then I'm hoping to hop over to a balloon carnival we just heard about.  Apparently they have a tethered hot air balloon that you can ride for ten dollars.  I'm excited, because riding in a hot air balloon is on my bucket list.  And, well, going on an actual hot air balloon ride is hundreds of dollars a person so this would suffice, lol.  Even if it turns out not to be much it's something to take my kids to and walk around and the park is right next to it so we can always go there instead.

I locked myself out of my apartment again.  Or well, thought I did.  Luckily my niece had come over earlier and informed me my back door was actually unlocked the whole time, LOL. 

#386 of 1405 Old 06-21-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Lets just get ONE THING CLEAR... I might be low/no income, but I do not steal.  How dare my friend accuse me of theft from her bank account.  This is someone who I've gone out of my way to help, esp the past couple months with her broken leg.  We don't have money, I beg my parents for rent, utilities and shoes for my kid but I do not steal.  I try to instill those ethics in my child.  How dare she send me a text that says 'we need to talk,the bank reversed my credits and declined the fraud case, did you take money from me, if you you need to return it'.  WTF...  She gave me her card to get dog food when she was having her leg rebuilt.  I've had her dang dog for 2 months now (even tho my lease says NO DOGS) and her other dog is at the farm, I went out of my way to make sure the 2nd dog was fostered out w. in 24 hrs.  How dare she accuse me of taking her money.  I hope she is recovered because my assistance is done.  My child is done helping her.

Phewy- I just needed to get that out there... clear the air a bit.

#387 of 1405 Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Lets just get ONE THING CLEAR... I might be low/no income, but I do not steal.  How dare my friend accuse me of theft from her bank account.  This is someone who I've gone out of my way to help, esp the past couple months with her broken leg.  We don't have money, I beg my parents for rent, utilities and shoes for my kid but I do not steal.  I try to instill those ethics in my child.  How dare she send me a text that says 'we need to talk,the bank reversed my credits and declined the fraud case, did you take money from me, if you you need to return it'.  WTF...  She gave me her card to get dog food when she was having her leg rebuilt.  I've had her dang dog for 2 months now (even tho my lease says NO DOGS) and her other dog is at the farm, I went out of my way to make sure the 2nd dog was fostered out w. in 24 hrs.  How dare she accuse me of taking her money.  I hope she is recovered because my assistance is done.  My child is done helping her.

Phewy- I just needed to get that out there... clear the air a bit.

Wow that's infuriating! I think you're doing the right thing, youve gone out of your way to help her.

AFM, I am having a cancer scare and I am so glad DH and I haven't split up yet because I have tricare. I have a biopsy Monday. I've been so stressed about it that I'm having flu symptoms...which of course can be a sign of cancer...so I stress more...etc. Thankfully my husband seems to have realized that he can't parent the kids without me so if I have cancer we will be drawing up some legal paper work to give the kids to my parents. Hopefully that won't be too expensive.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#388 of 1405 Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Micahe-  HUGS....  No the legal paperwork shouldn't be expensive and if you are on base or someone is on base it should be part of legal aid.  When I did my Will and such it was maybe $50 with an atty.  Basically a form to fill out and have noterized, nothing fancy.

I went to pick up DS this am, I took all the dog supplies back that I had and even left her apartment key on her desk in a ziplock bag.  That was 9am and she was still sleeping.  I would think if it was that 'critical' that she speak to me about this $$ she would've gotten up for those few minutes I was there.

I'm going to let it pass.  I joined and committed to a yarn club and will be going to a knit/crochet thing tomorrow at the coffee shoppe.  I've been in the club for awhile but never really went to anything.  I also joined a homeschool group cuz, lets be honest I'm not going to run a group again and signed up for 2 field trips this summer.  We need to expand our circle of friends.  

I need to follow up wtih my mom about sending money. I need rent $812, utilities $400, medical $600 and incidentias $250....  you think she can get that here like by ummmm Tuesday??? that will just get me current.... with nothing extra.  I hate being poor, i hate not having a summer job. and i hate not being able to tell them im not working because im crazy.

#389 of 1405 Old 06-22-2013, 04:55 PM

micah_mae, I'm crossing my fingers for you that it is nothing.  I had to have a cervical biopsy done recently and it was really scary.  Regarding the will though, I'm assuming since you have Tricare that your husband is active duty.  He can go to legal and get it done for free.  I'm shocked that he doesn't have it done already.  Has he never deployed?  You can also get a divorce done for free through legal if that's in the cards for the future.  My divorce was done in the civilian world after my husband got out and went Guard but a good friend of mine did her divorce through legal on base while we were stationed in North Carolina and she was very pleased with them.  They also did her will and plan of action for her son once she was single since she was active duty.  

zebra, I think you did the right thing giving back everything and no longer giving her help.  She was probably just looking for someone to blame but that's really unacceptable to blame a friend who's been putting herself out to help you for months.  I might have had some choice words for her if she was my "friend."

Went to the beach with the kids and husband today.  I've given up calling him my exhusband.  I don't see us in a place in our lives with all of our history together being able to use the term boyfriend/girlfriend.  I have no idea what in the crap to call him.  He's just my husband.  Whatever.  But I was in a truly FOUL mood before we left and he had me laughing the whole time and feeling much better when we got back.  These rare times that we get along and enjoy each other's company are wonderful.  They are what keep me thinking it's worth it to try with him.  

I didn't realize Frosty's from Wendy's were only $.99 for a small!  I'd never had one before tonight.  I'm sure they are full of scary chemicals but man, they are pretty tasty!  I took the kids for one after dinner tonight as a treat for my youngest who has been dry all night long without accidents for 5 days now.  She's 5 1/2 and she's been potty trained since 26 months but she just cannot seem to stay dry at night.  I'm hoping by making such a big deal out of it when she IS dry that she'll be dry more often.  If she's wet, meh, no biggie.  But we CELEBRATE when she's dry.

I'm still crossing my fingers that child support comes this month.  With this new job and all, I'm nervous since the garnishment isn't active, though I know he made a payment online so we'll see.  BUT all my bills are caught up and I'll still be okay for rent as long as I don't spend anything between now and the 1st.  I have a half tank of gas.  The kids are out of school on tuesday so i think we'll be okay.

#390 of 1405 Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM

*sigh*  I canNOT catch a break lately.  My piece of junk washer shimmies when it spins out and it shimmied JUST enough this morning to pop off the drain hose and flood my basement with 2 inches of water.  Definitely NOT a thrifty sort of day today.  I have run 6 loads of sopping wet laundry and had 3 fans going since 10am trying to dry the place out.  The good news is that it was a 90 degree day so I rigged up a clothesline in the backyard and everything but the last load is dry and nearly put away.  And the basement is about 85% dry right now.  AND to top it all off, my 5 year old is having an allergic reaction to a shampoo I used on her yesterday and she has oozing welts all over her scalp from scratching so much.  Poor thing.  Benedryl is the name of the game right now.  

Tags
Finances , Frugality

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page