~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1405 Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My mom and sister are taking my niece to the zoo tomorrow.  We were invited but it's not really a great time/day for us to go.  Anyway, I've also been wanting to wait to go to the zoo until I had money for passes for the train, childrens zoo, etc.  My mom told me tonight she's just buying the membership as it will turn out a bit cheaper for her and then everyone can use it.  How cool is that?  So sometime this long week of hubby's we are hitting the zoo.  We'll just need money for gas and some kind of food stuff. We could pack a cooler but we might also hit costco for 1.50 hot dogs and soda.  Its probably even cheaper than ice to do that, lol!~

#422 of 1405 Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

thumb.gif

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#423 of 1405 Old 06-30-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Hey Micah- IDK if they can help you or not but I hear about this program today '  Military one source'  http://www.militaryonesource.mil/

Anyone else who is/was military they might be able to give you assistance as well.  I'm all about getting help where ever you can find it.

I live by a base and we get all kinds of commercials around here.

I spent way too much $$ this weekend but its fracking 118 degrees outside... we have to go somewhere... Even with A/C its hot in here..   Yesterday we went to the art museum (Free passes) but what I saved in admission DS spent in the gift shop .. le sigh.  They had an awesome exhibit on the 'art of video games' plus a kids activity.  So when he wanted the t-shirt I caved in, plus a couple post cards from the Thorne rooms.   After that we went up to the library, needed to get movies cuz there is nothing to do when its 118 degrees outside.  Then we went to sprouts cuz they are cheapest in town for GF foods.  Oh and we stopped for lunch. I had a coupon,  DS had a huge sandwich, soup and salad plus pie, I had a cobb salad, 2 waters and the total was $15.  cheaper and better than fast food.

Today I went back to the market this AM cuz UDI's bread was $2 after my coupon and we needed a few more things  ugh.   This afternoon went to sams club  I could feed DS for $3, 2 hot dog dombos and I got a soda.  $40 later we left the store.  (yogurt, keurig coffee keeper, binder dividers, olive garden dressing, sticky buns)  not bad but still...

FS don't hit until the 7th.  we need to stay home.  I can not be spending money in July.   School starts the 1st week of August and I'm wishing and praying the subbing jobs come fast and well.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#424 of 1405 Old 06-30-2013, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Omg I have been crying for the past 10 mins. I am so upset. Today was ds birthday party. I had it at xdh's house, my sister actually showed up. There were about 25 guests. Everything was fine but xdh gave ds a large sum of money as his bday gift for us to use for a small vacation because I cannot afford it. I t was cash, I put it in my purse right after he was done opening gifts. My purse was out in plain view at the party and I didn't think anything of it, well when we went to leave I checked my purse and the money is gone. My sister and her son have stolen in the past (not from me) so I immediately thought it was one of them. I call up my sister and ask her if she thought her son could have taken it etc. She said she didn't think so, but she would check when got home, I even accused her of taking it .I was very upset. I told ds the money was gone and he started crying. My sister has been uber flakey and has used and abused drugs in the past but has straightened up a lot, but i have no idea what she is up to now since she hardly talked to me the past 2 months, she did admit she is seeing the new guy from her neighborhood and i have no idea what he is llike he was not at the party. I told my ds maybe it was lost or maybe it was taken I did not know. I do know htat someone took it. I told my xdh and he was semi calm about it but he said none of my family is allowed at his house ever again. 

It is not about the money though, my heart is broken for my son, he is such a good kid and he has been through so much the divorce this past year and he did not deserve this. 

I am beyond livid with my sister, she kept saying i must have lost it etc and it is pure bs, I didn't lose the money it went straight into my purse. 

I told her if her son claims he doesn't have the money (meaning he is lying or she really took it), then I am done. I am not going to let my ds around her again or her kids. I am cutting myself off from everyone else until further notice too. I cannot allow my son to be treated this way. Getting stolen from and crying on his own bday party. Pure BS. 

xdh might give us more money for a vacation but it is more about the stealing and less about the money. Stealing from an almost 7 year old, pathetic. mecry.gif

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#425 of 1405 Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am so sorry. It just bites when you cannot trust family. 

Heidi
#426 of 1405 Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Well sister said her son admitted to taking it, she said he left it at their house this morning after she went to work. she said she had her other son count it and he only counted 300$ he is 10, so maybe he is miscounting....and now xdh says he gave 500, I never actually counted it myself but did put an extra 5$ in the envelope so if that is not there then some is still missing. I am going to go get wha remains in the evening...ugh

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#427 of 1405 Old 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM

BabyBird, super big hugs.  I have had my niece steal a ten dollar bill from me once, it was sitting out to use yardsaling, and even that small amount made me feel betrayed.  On the other hand, I kinda call bs it was the nephew simply because I really don't think my niece would think she could get away with stealing that large a sum of money.  In my limited experience stealing when they are that age is about what they can get away with more than the actual money, kwim?  And if he did steal that large a sum of money there are some defenite issues in that household.  I mean, not that stealing ANYTHING Is okay, but I just cannot imagine that.

Once at a large family function one of my aunts was going through people's purses (we put things on the hostess' bed).  It was a huge drama.  Later on it came out that she had a drinking problem and a crumbling marriage.  I hope that whatever drama that your sister is going through she can resolve, but I agree you need to protect your little one above trying to help her.  Especially since it sounds like she doesn't want help and is throwing her own son under the bus. 

Not much going on here.  I need to bake bread again today, and I'm baking banana bread.  I'm very tired and burnt out.  Hubby was off one day this week, then he's at work until Wednesday.  We are planning a zoo trip on the fourth but now he wants to take his niece and nephews and I don't know that I'm up for watching three more kids at the darn zoo.  I just want some downtime, damnit!

#428 of 1405 Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm working on peace again.  I found my crochet hooks and have been a 'happy hooker' these past few days.  I finished 2 blankets that have just been laying around waiting for some TLC.  Now I have some odd and ends skeins to make into washcloths to add to the pile of 'what to do with'. LOL.  The holidays are coming and I will either have donations or presents.

Its so dang hot outside, its even too hot to go to the pool.   I just noticed that in my condo, if I sit in the oversized chair, which is in the corner by 2 windows it almost feels like I'm in a treehouse because there is this huge tree that surrounds that section of the building.  See more calm comes my way!!    Sitting in an oversized chair, basically in a tree, crocheting...  what a lovely afternoon...  enjoying my AC.

NO idea what will be for supper... somethng cool that does NOT rquire cooking.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#429 of 1405 Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM

Bread in a can success!  I used self rising flour this time around, because I was almost out of regular flour, and only used half the dough in the can.  I'm going to try to make a large "can loaf" next time and make biscuits with the remaining batter.

#430 of 1405 Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM

thanks, yeah my dn has had his bouts of issues but I really thought he was straightening out. I met my sister and ended up getting 325$ back of the money. She said that dn said that was all the money and there wasn't anymore. I am still not sure if I totally believe my sister honestly. XDH was like "are you going to confront her etc" I said no, I will get as much money back as possible and the decide how to proceed. My sister said that her son was going to call me, but he hasn't yet. She did stress that I should try to fb message him if I don't hear from him. And yeah there are a lot problems, between the two of them. My sister had dn at 15 and never was very motherly to him and she did try to say that it could be relate to his ADD.... He actually lives most the time with his dad, but stays at my sisters more in the summer since it is closer to his Gf's house. As of yet I haven't told ds that any money has been returned or found. I decided I would let him know tomorrow since it is his actual birthday and let him go pick out a gift with a little of the money from the toy store tomorrow. Almost 200$ wasn't returned so that is going to make a bit of a difference on how to spend it but at this point I am grateful that some of it was returned.

#431 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM

Picked up a little job babysitting.  At 6am.  eyesroll.gif  But it's money.  Beggers can't be choosers I suppose.  

Found a huge bunch of peaches on the reduced rack last night at the grocery store so I'm canning peaches today.  I'm sure we'll appreciate that this coming winter.  

I can't get into this summer.  For some reason I'm just not motivated at all.  I haven't taken my kids to do anything essentially and they've been on vacation nearly a week.  I am just really NOT feelin' it this year.  It's been raining EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.  It's miserable.  UGH.  Gotta try to pull myself out of this funk I'm in.  

#432 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Babybird - big hugs. I have family like that too :(

Justmama - I can't get into this summer either. We've gone out and done stuff, but only because we had to escape the heat. I'm just burnt out I think. 

At least this week it isn't hot! We are staying home all week and enjoying the cooler weather - lows in the mid 60's at night, highs in the mid 90's during the day. Very cool for us this time of year, but I'm not complaining! I've actually been able to bake a bit even & cook something other than ultra quick fix stuff / TV dinners. 

Still broke, sold a bit more stuff so I could pay a few bills but still broke. Still got past due bills :(. Waiting for a check to come so I can afford to ship the sweaters to the WAHM gal so I can get paid, and then hopefully have enough to coast me until fall comes when it's easier to find sweaters at the thrift shops. 

Trying to hunt up free school supplies for dd - we are running low on some things, and normally we go to a big community festival that gives out 1000 stuffed backpacks - but they canceled it this year due to lack of funding. They were "concerned they wouldn't be able to fill the backpacks completely or to as high a standard as usual". I'm like hey anything is better than nothing right? But oh well. I've got a couple leads on some other back to school festivals but we'll have to see how they go. Some of the ones here get totally out of hand & people get hurt. Or you get there a hour early and there are already more people in line than they are giving out backpacks. I know one of the local aid agencies does filled backpacks, but I'm not sure if we qualify since we homeschool. Might have to give them a call & see, or maybe just say dd will be going to the local public school. I dunno. Might just try to pick up what I can in the penny back to school sales and make do with that. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#433 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Its just HOT here and I've lost all motivation.  I actually called the city energy helpline and of course they dont have any $$ to help.  Ironic huh mischievous.gif.  I have a super past due internet/cable bill and another very late electric bill.  No money to pay those and both are critical since DS takes on line classes.  angry.gif.   I wonder if I can call for a payment extension.  Maybe that will give me time to figure something out??.

I hate this so much.  I hate its the 2nd and I'm out of money for the month.  Not having a job for the summer turned out to be a very stupid idea.  I don't even have the application fee for grad school and I need grad school so I have enough money to live on next year. Somedays I really just want to scream.

Its so hot here there is nothing anyone wants to do.  I might try to take kiddo to the science center on friday (free with membership).  He loved the art museum last weekend (free with library passes).  IDK what to keep doing with him to keep him interested and occupied.  He is 12.

School starts here in a month.  Some school starts by the end of July, every is back by mid -august,  school supply sales are starting next weekend.  Its just been a crazy kinda summer.  I'm not feeling the love of summer around here either.  I want it to be over and done with.  blah!

#434 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yes it is hot here as well. Texas and all that. It's too hot for my kids to be outside most days and they end up driving us mad by dinner.

I have been sick for the past 2 weeks. Day before yesterday I had palpitations that made me almost pass out so I finally went in yesterday. Came out with a diagnosis of: UTI, upper respiratory infection and a HEART CONDITION. Lol, what? Oh and I'm still waiting to find out if I have cancer? Ok, life. Well played.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#435 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM

So sorry, Micah.  Did they say what KIND of heart condition?  Not to downplay at all, but that's a pretty wide diagnosis.

So hubby's five day weekend starts tomorrow.  We are planning on going to the visitor center tomorrow at our local state park.  Fun, educational experience for the kids.  Then maybe the playground there.  I'd also like to buy them some poppers.

Thursday is the zoo if all pans out.

No plans for Friday.  Probably a trip to the grocery store and maybe a trip to the splash park finally.

Saturday I'm thinking of trying a local attraction called Grants Farm.  Have to pay for parking, but food is inexpensive inside.  It's an animal park, but not quite a zoo, owned by Busch.  You get two free glasses of beer, lol, that's always a plus!

Grants farm would be the only attraction to cost money.  Dh's sister is supposed to front the money for her children to do the zoo so that's no money for us other than maybe gas. 

I was supposed to go to the eye doctor this Saturday but that was put off, not by my doing but by the doctor.  They want to move my appointment because I'm the only one that day and the receptionists don't want to come in.  Ugh.  I guess yeah I could push the issue but what's the point?  Its my first time with the people and my first time dealing with my insurance so people that just want to go home doesn't sound great.  And I don't want to go Friday because I don't have a sitter so that would mean dragging two kids to the eye doctor...after taking five kids to the zoo the day before.  Um, sorry, just don't have the patience for that this week.  I have a feeling I'm going to be going to the walmart eye center soon. 

Just baked more banana bread for a yummy breakfast and snack.  The kiddoes will have tuna casserole made from leftover homemade mac and cheese. Not sure about dinner, probably meatloaf and homefries or baked potatoes. 

#436 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM

Alright ladies, I'm currently torn between the urge to purge and the urge to save for later.  My kiddos have a very nice play kitchen that was handed down to them.  I saw the same set for over a hundred dollars at WM this past Christmas.  However, they don't play with it.  My dd doesn't play with a lot of domestic stuff-baby dolls, kitchen or cleaning toys, etc.  If it was just here I'd be pretty comfortable getting rid of it.  However ds was one really in love with the set and my sister said her children didn't really get into the whole play kitchen thing until six or so.  I would just be giving it away if I don't keep it-it was given to me and I don't feel comfortable selling a gift personally.  My sister has a storage unit that she is going to keep no matter what anyway and there is room.  So would you keep it a year or so and see if your dc would grow into it, or just part ways?  It would be hard to replace it for a model of similar value, kwim? 

I took it outside on the porch and neither child has asked for it right now.  I kept the toy food.  Why is this so hard, lol?

#437 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

So sorry, Micah.  Did they say what KIND of heart condition?  Not to downplay at all, but that's a pretty wide diagnosis.

Something about an atrial arrhythmia? They want to do the 24 hour halter monitor and do some testing to see if there's an underlying cause. If not then it's benign as long as I don't pass out while driving...not sure how that'll work.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#438 of 1405 Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Today sux... Took kid to the library, came out and the car will not start.  Called roadside and 90 mins later my tow shows up... its not a battery so the car is on the way to the dealer.  Luckily the tow driver dropped us off at home.  I hope everything is covered under warranty because I have $200 this month to cover utilities, gas and extras.  Ummm ya not gonna happen.  I hope I can get a loaner or rental car tomorrow because I have a VIP appointment at 5pm that I can NOT miss.

I am so stressed right now.  Its like 110 degrees, no wonder the car died.

I am still planning to take DS to the science center either thurs or fri this week,  Free with membership and I can read a book while he explores.  Not sure what else is happening.  FS hit the card on the 7th so a major food shopping will be happening on Sunday... gotta make what we have last until then... ugh

#439 of 1405 Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 AM

micahmae, seriously? wtf? That's a little ridiculous.

happy hats, I guess I would probably save it only because there's a place to put it that isn't going anywhere, ya knnow? it's not like there's no space and you have to make hard choices. I would keep it.

zebra, I'm sorry to hear about the car. that's an awful feeling to not be mobile. it makes everything that much harder. grocery shopping without a car can't be easy.

I'm trying to pull my head out of my butt. hard week mentally. I think I'll start slow, maybe take the kids to the playground today. I made strawberry blueberry jam a few days ago and canned two quarts of sliced peaches. My kids decided that we are hungry bears preparing for winter. lol. it's better than " we are too poor to afford good produce in the winter." :-)

#440 of 1405 Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Car needs a fuel pump.. of course its out of warranty and i was quoted 1k. le sigh.  Times like this I'm glad the car is NOT in my  name.  I got the call the 'owner' and tell them the good news.  Yes the dealer takes payment over the phone!!  Hoping its done by 3pm cuz I need to be somewhere by 5pm.  (if not i get billed for a missed appt  ugh)  Still feeling very 'trapped' with no car.

Might watch a movie from the library this afternoon... hoping to calm my nerves.

HH I would just keep the playset.  kids are funny, they may eventually find a way to play with it.

#441 of 1405 Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well my second job called and said they hired 3 nee people so they don't have hours for me. Ive never heard of a job before that hires new people then gives then your hours. They essentially fired me "thanks bit we don't have any shifts for you"

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#442 of 1405 Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well my second job called and said they hired 3 nee people so they don't have hours for me. Ive never heard of a job before that hires new people then gives then your hours. They essentially fired me "thanks bit we don't have any shifts for you"

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#443 of 1405 Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Went to the science center today.  Had about 90 mins of knitting time while DS went around and did what he wanted. (he is almost 13, I don't need to follow him, Im on the same floor in clear sight).  Then we went for lunch, $15 with a coupon for real food.  le sigh, so much for no spend. but it was REAL food, DS got a sandwich, soup, salad and pie and I had a full salad.  So IMO not so bad and cheaper than drive thru for 2 people.

Tonight we are going to see fireworks.  packing snacks and sitting in the a/c car.

no idea about the weekend.  FS hit the card sunday!!

#444 of 1405 Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 PM

zebra, did your car get fixed so you could make it to your appt?  Glad you got some knitting time at the museum.  That sounds lovely.  A/C and quiet time knitting!  I could go for some of that.

sharlla, that does sound a little ridiculous.  I'd be a little frustrated.  You were excited when you took that job.

My kids had a sleepover with my parents last night so I got to have some carefree mom time out to dinner with the husband and back to the house for beers and a bonfire.  It was actually really nice.  And then today once the hangover abated we had a cookout with husband's family and did some fireworks.  Kept the kids out until 10pm and I have to have everyone up at 6:30am tomorrow when the girls I babysit get here so that's gonna suck.  But it's so infrequent that we do stuff like that.  And tomorrow is supposed to be in the 90's again so I think maybe we'll do the beach.  coolshine.gif

I HAVE to get in my kitchen and do some jam making and canning and snack making.  I've been putting it off for days and it's just getting critical at this point.  There's no more snacks.  90 degree temps will suck to can jam and bake cookies in but.....ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

#445 of 1405 Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Sharlla, that is majorly sucky.  Hugs. 

Justmama, I hear you on the lacking with the cooking due to heat.  Right there with you.  I need to make some bread-luckily sil brought over some sliced bread for our family bbq so I can use that in a pinch.  I am making muffins for tomorrows breakfast on the go, and I need to mix up the ground beef in the fridge and bake it into a meatloaf for dinner later this week. 

Yesterday was a total suckfest.  Didn't do anything but go to the grocery store and fight with my husband.  I'm incredibly sick of his checked out attitude and lack of motivation to do anything.  I'm burnt out and having some hormonal/emotional issues (period just came, I've been perimenopausal for about a year and have some lovely mood swings, lol)...but just honestly, jeezus...I don't want to do it all alone. 

Today wasn't too bad.  The morning was rush as I got up late and nothing was done so I had to rush around before hubby picked up our nephews and neices.  Instead of the zoo we had a bbq at home and then went to see the fireworks.  I'm happy because it was the first year my daughter was truly impressed with fireworks.  Seeing her excitement for the first time made all the crappiness of this week worth it, kwim?  Now I'm running around picking up everything because tomorrow we finally hit the zoo.  Saturday we are doing some fireworks at my sil house, the kids will probably play with water balloons.  I don't know about Sunday, maybe catch up on a few things around the house or maybe take the kids to the splash park or regular park.    I might, MIGHT also be able to catch some one on one time with hubby on Saturday, nice in one regard but I almost don't care right now on the other hand.  Honestly it will depend on how tomorrow goes. 

#446 of 1405 Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes the car is fixed.  Family drama. But the car is done.  The dealer is awesome!  It was the fuel pump and yes I got to my appt.   thanks

Momsteader likes this.

#447 of 1405 Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 PM

sorry about your job Sharlla =/

glad your car is fixed zebra15!

I have been in  depressed mood since my sister drama blah. I am also on period and spent time with the xdh which also makes me irritable, not the xdh himself, but I just get so angry about the divorce and everything that led up to it when  I am around him too long..me and the kids actually watched the fireworks with him and his coworkers. Of course my sister invited me over but after the stealing i don't see that happening ever again...I have 50 relatives in the area and no one invited me and the kids to do anything besides my cheating x and my stealing sister/family haha, the joke is on me here! I am really feeling like I have a 'stab me' sign on my back...

Sorry for the rant, but I guess I just had to get that off my chest.

So I have been thinking long and hard about my schooling and all and I am pretty sure I am not going to take anymore masters classes in the spring. I may pick up one or two in the summer and I am already signed up for the fall,  but I just cannot keep taking the classes without the security of a job and the money I am spending (getting loans for). I have 1 more class I need for the restricted license I am signed up for the fall, plus one more for the masters program. I also need to take 2 undergrad classes from other colleges. I am thinking maybe I will just take those 2 in the spring and charge them/save up for them. I really have to plan for the worse and the worse would be me not getting a teaching job and either getting a low 10$hr job or not getting any job at all and ending up on assistance or living back with the xdh! After having my orientation and seeing that my area in the state is 'saturated' per the directors words I really do have to plan for the possibility I may not get a job in fall 2014 and I may be making a small amount and losing my spousal support at the same time while adding daycare costs to the mix... SO much to think about...

#448 of 1405 Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 AM

Babybird, I would be feeling depressed and angry too.  That's unacceptable.  Being parents, we are responsible for the things our kids do.  Your sister should have either paid you back the money her son/her stole if it was spent already or she should have made him come to your house and work off the money one way or another.  But either way, you should not have lost out on money just because of them.  You have a lot on your plate right now, you don't need that nonsense.

So here I am, 7am on the one day a week I can sleep in.  irked.gif  But because I'm dumb and competitive and have nothing better to worry about I guess, I am psyched to be excelling at keeping my electric bill down.  ROTFLMAO.gif  We've started getting these notices from our utility company that states our usage for the month tracked with 99 other efficient customers and how well we fared at being efficient.  The first notice I got offended at my rank because WTF?  I don't have a dryer or A/C and I thought we were good about keeping things off.  I'm such a nerd that I made it my business to be even more efficient because they sparked my competitive nature and now I'm ranked 6 out of 100.  bow2.gif  You may worship me now.  HA!

Huge geek right here.bag.gif

#449 of 1405 Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Went to bountiful baskets this am. Gosh why didnt someone tell me about this co-op sooner.  Our box had: 1 romaine lettuce, 4 red onions, 1 bunch of broccoli, 2 eggplants, 1 bag green grapes, 1 pineapple, 1 mini watermelon, 2 mangos, 6 peaches, 3 red plums, 1 huge bunch bananas.  phewy I think thats all.  Thats wayyyy  more than $15 at the market.  

All I need to get for produce right now is tomatoes and more lettuce and maybe a couple apples biggrinbounce.gif

I think we are gonna have eggplant and spaghetti this week, ds will be soooo happy.  and he loves onions as well as mangos!  He was sooooo happy to see the box.

We are getting ready to go museum touring today.  A free pass from the library gets us to the Natural History museum and since its all the way across town I'm going to try to hit the others in the area which are always free.  - I will be packing snacks of ummm... fruit ;)

Momsteader likes this.

#450 of 1405 Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Zebra - glad you liked Bountiful Baskets! We really like it too, but sometimes we don't end up using everything because I don't know what to do with it. We're in a bit of a produce rut honestly. 

Justmama - WTG on the electric use! Got any tips for the rest of us? I would love to get my bill down further. We don't have a/c but do have a eletcric dryer {can't dry outside due to allergies & lots of birds}. I want to get a gas dryer as it should be cheaper {here gas is way cheaper than electric}, but haven't had the funds yet. 

Babybird - I'd be depressed too after dealing with all that drama. On the job outlook - are you willing / able to move to another area / state that needs teachers? Or teach online? Another idea is to teach to homeschool co-ops. The ones here mostly require certified teachers, they pay a little less but you aren't dealing with all the public school drama. 

We're doing okay. Sold some stuff on CL today so I think I might be able to pay most of the water bill hopefully. Gotta renew my FS on Monday too - going to do it online. Tomorrow we've having a free outing or nearly free :) Going to take in dd's summer reading for June for Half Price books & let her get some books with her coupon there, then head across to Barnes & Nobel to turn in her summer reading for there & get another free book. Coupled with a stop at the pet store to look at the animals that makes for a nice free day out. I may stop in at goodwill afterwards & shop for a bit, and see if I can pick up a few more sweaters to sell to the WAHM. 

Since I know a lot of y'all use produce a lot - I need ideas for using up what we've got. I've got: plums, apples, oranges, lemons, baker potatoes, baby butter lettuce {and we don't like salads}, limp celery, overripe cucumbers, and fresh parsley. The celery I can freeze for using for soups for winter, but the rest I have no ideas for. I need to fix dd fruit for a snack more often, but doing the prep work cutting & peeling makes my hands scream. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page