~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 1405 Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

with your lemons, parsley, and cukes, you could make this: http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2005/06/yummy_summer_sa.html  Just modify it a little.  Leave out what you don't have.  Change it up a bit.  It's delish.  I did it with tomatoes, corn, cukes, and homemade pesto the other day.  A nice cool pasta salad for hot days.

Would you use the lettuce for wraps for burgers or veggie roll-ups?  http://heal-balance-live.blogspot.com/2009/07/shredded-beef-lettuce-wraps.html?m=1 Or maybe something like this? http://www.allisonskinnyjeans.com/2013/06/barbeque-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html  I've seen people do an asian style peanut sauce on shredded or cubed chicken or chicken salad or tuna or whatever.  

I don't know what baker potatoes are but would you guys do a make-your-own baked potato night for dinner?  My kids ADORED make-your-own oatmeal mornings this winter.  Plain oats cooked up and a tray full of toppings that they can customize.  I can't wait until fall when it's chilly out and we can do baked potatoes.  Any kind of toppings you want.  

The fruit you could chop into big pieces for snack or just keep in the fridge for your daughter to grab whenever she wanted for snack.  If you got ambitious or it starts to go bad, an apple-plum sauce in the crockpot would be delicious I bet.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#452 of 1405 Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

For those of you who need ideas for cooking I've been back to http://allrecipes.com/   such good ideas and not too hard to modify. 

I make the best apple sauce at home,  just peel the apples, cut into chunks, add a bit of water and let simmer on the stove (very low heat) covered for the day.  Magically in a few hours you have applesauce,  stir every 15-20 mins.

We have NO money and there is no way I can call home again.  I have absolute shut off notices for both the electric and the internet/tv for next week. Plus Im way behind on medical bills and I need to see at least one provider on a regular basis.

I've been applying for all jobs that have immediate training and start dates, even stuff I HATE just to get a couple checks coming in here.  Even daycare stuff on CL.  I can't ask for $ until August rent then maybe I can say I need a bit more for medical or something.   I hate not being able to work.

Good news- food stamps reload tomorrow (sunday) so I will be grocery shopping after yarn club!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#453 of 1405 Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Gratefuls:

-bills all got paid this month AND there was a little extra money for a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for me.  I have a VERY small wardrobe.

-got paid for last week's babysitting.  $60!!  Going to put that aside to build a savings acct again hopefully since the car issues destroyed it last month.

-free swiss chard, kale, and sugar snap peas today.  There's an elementary school near us that planted a vegetable garden and just left it all to rot, not even finishing planting it all. There's dozens of plants they didn't plant that died and all the food is just left there to die.  SO wasteful.  So we've gathered little bits here and there to freeze.  I feel a little guilty but......I don't know.  It seems wrong to let it go to waste.  

-my garden is loving the heat.  We've had 4 days of temps over 90 degrees again and while we are all suffering without A/C, the garden is THRILLED.  Lots of tomatoes and cucumbers coming soon.  More lettuce than we can eat.  I've started pawning it off on my neighbors.  luxlove.gif

-was talking to another neighbor about watching her newborn 1-2 days per week for a little extra cash as well.  I don't know if it will work out before I end up taking that CNA class this fall since the baby is only 4 weeks right now but we'll see.  Can't hurt to be open to the idea and be a back-up for them at least.

Momsteader likes this.

#454 of 1405 Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 PM

bawling.gif  I'm such a bad mama.  My younger two are FRIED from the beach.  I feel horrible.  They aren't just pink, they are straight up burned.  Painfully so I'm guessing.  The sunscreen washed off way faster than i thought it would and my husband's aunt was there with her kids who are around the same ages(yes, he and I had kids pretty young) and I forgot to reapply.  I feel absolutely horrible right now looking at it.  I have them wearing washcloths soaked in tea because I've heard that that helps.  Any other ideas?

#455 of 1405 Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

bawling.gif  I'm such a bad mama.  My younger two are FRIED from the beach.  I feel horrible.  They aren't just pink, they are straight up burned.  Painfully so I'm guessing.  The sunscreen washed off way faster than i thought it would and my husband's aunt was there with her kids who are around the same ages(yes, he and I had kids pretty young) and I forgot to reapply.  I feel absolutely horrible right now looking at it.  I have them wearing washcloths soaked in tea because I've heard that that helps.  Any other ideas?

My brother used to swear by Right Guard spray on deodorant on sunburns, and he has 2 redheads who burn super easy. 

I always use aloe or mexican vanilla. 

And you are not a bad mama - stuff happens!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#456 of 1405 Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Justmama, we used to get sunburnt all the time as children.  Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.  I also remember vinegar taking the sting out.  I have a nice little sunburn myself.  My sil treated us to the pool yesterday and I didn't reapply the sunscreen enough.  My children luckily escaped sunburn but I still want to get some of the spray sunscreen because the sun is killer lately and they still must have gotten exposure, kwim?

Babybird, I wish we lived near each other so we could hang out and you could vent.  Sounds very stressful and not fair.

Zebra and frugalmama, I'm sending good thoughts your way.

This staycation ended up being pretty nice after all.  Friday we did the zoo and thanks to the membership and the zoo's refillable mugs we were able to spend very little.  Saturday we all went to my sil's for fireworks and a bbq.  My daughter held a snake!  Sil neighbors have four and were showing them to all the children and let Scarlet hold it with them. 

And Sunday was the pool. 

Money will be tight this next week because hubby won't have any overtime and most of our bills fall on that check.  I hate that feeling after now having a bit of wiggle room.  We need to get eggs, produce, and probably coconut oil.  We had bad luck with produce this week. 

Went on a baking rampage last night.  Did a batch of chocolate chip muffins (which are already gone) and bread.  Then this morning did a double batch of banana bread.  We'll be eating that for a snack and breakfast.  Kiddos are eating some leftovers from the freezer for lunch today, and hopefully later this week as well. 

Hubby found castile soap at walmart we are now using for our hair and body.  I get three bars for the price of one of the bars I was paying for via etsy.  I still love my etsy gal but I'll be saving that now for special occasions I think.  Another plus of the new castile soap is it smells similar to dove, which reminds me of my late grandma and is a nice comforting touch. 

#457 of 1405 Old 07-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Justmama- I swear by vinegar on washclothes for sunburns. I use it when I am really burnt and it takes the heat out efficiently so I wasn't uncomfortable and I found that they healed pretty quickly.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#458 of 1405 Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM

Made a loaf of beer bread since we have a couple bottles of beer in the fridge we bought to try a couple weeks ago and didn't love. 

I got a great freecycle score yesterday as well.  A big bag of disney vhs tapes, most of the classics and a couple pooh bear movies.  My daughter is going through a pooh bear fascination so maybe we can watch one tonight.  The kiddos seem to have a case of the grumps after our long weekend.  They aren't happy we are staying at home today, lol, plus it was so disgustingly hot earlier they couldn't really play outside. 

#459 of 1405 Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 PM

GAH!  I'm about to dropkick my laptop.  This is the second time today that I've erased a post by accident because my touchpad is "off" lately.  Granted, this thing is 4years old but.......

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I don't have the energy to multi-quote AGAIN.  Apple cider vinegar or distilled white?  I'll try it on myself tonight and see how it feels since they are in bed already.  I slathered the little two in yogurt before bed to cool them off and rinsed them with the hose outside.  I didn't have the heart to wipe the yogurt off since it would hurt.  My mom has an aloe plant so I think I'll drop by and confiscate some tomorrow morning for all of us.  I'm pretty friend myself.  Being a redhead sucks sometimes.  

happyhats, have you tried this with your bar soap? http://www.pistachioproject.com/2012/06/make-your-own-liquid-soap.html?m=1  I splurged and ordered the scratch and dent 1lb bag of soaps from Lusa Organics months ago and they are incredible.  But my kids waste soap like nobody's business and they love liquid soap so I did turned the bars to liquid soap and it goes a long way.  I really love them.  I got all sorts of gorgeous scents.  I've done it with castile soap too.  The texture is kinda "snotty" but it does still work really well and if you shake it up before using, it's just perfect.

#460 of 1405 Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Justmama- I use plain old distilled white vinegar. Good luck!

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#461 of 1405 Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 PM

I feel like absolute poo on a stick today.  I managed to get myself a headcold in the middle of July.  WTF, lol.  So I'm trying to take it easy as possible with two kiddos underfoot all day.  I randomly decided I didn't feel too awful and rearranged some furniture.  Bad idea, lol.   I hate the kind of illness where you feel relatively fine when you're sitting around but start to feel awful if you do anything productive.  We do have some leftovers for lunch and snacks, and I'm thinking mac and cheese and broccoli is as fancy as dinner is getting tonight. 

I heard that some pharmacies do a free vitamins for children program, so you might want to check that out.  The closest was 45 miles away for me, so it wasn't worth it, but apparently it is a national program.  I just saw a tv ad for a pharmacy that mentioned it, so I don't really know specifics. 

I was brave and talked myself into giving the play kitchen to a girl next door.  She is much more the "girly, domestic" type, and the kids seemed to play with the kitchen only with other kids so now they still can "see" it on a regular basis but I'm not holding onto it.  I think my resistance to get rid of it was mainly due to the fact that it was the first "large" toy I had wanted to get for them but in the two bedroom there was never room for anything like that. 

Sipping on oj, eating garlic, and swallowing a tsp of honey a couple times a day.  Wish me luck, lol!

#462 of 1405 Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 AM

happyhats, I hope you start feeling a little better today.  It's no fun feeling crappy with kids underfoot.  

As for us, it's gonna be humid and cloudy today with torrential downpours apparently.  I'm trying to psych myself up for a trip to the children's museum but I don't think I'll be able to.  That's a scary thing for a germophobe OCD gal like myself.  Just been feeling guilty about the lack of activities the kids have done so far.  I did take them hiking(and getting lost) yesterday though.  

Doing a little cleaning and purging in the basement lately.  I have a laundry basket full of junk to bring to goodwill and a giant bag of stuff for the food pantry.  There's definitely more to go through if I can't convince myself to go anywhere.

#463 of 1405 Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM

well, I'm starting to feel better but still have no real energy and a roaring headache.  Fun stuff.  Unfortunately I really need to do some cooking and cleaning so I cannot recoup too much.  At least chicken noodle soup from the freezer will make an excellent lunch, right?  I have no idea about dinner, probably something simple like spaghetti because thinking about a meal right now just isn't happening, lol.  I also need to bake a couple batches of muffins and some beer bread with the last two bottles of beer.  Today is cool though so the a/c won't have to work too hard to compensate, and since I've been feverish I won't be sweating up a storm, lol. 

By juggling the bills a bit we will be able to pay everything and have wiggle room.  I was stoked when I realized that hubby gets paid on the first so we don't have to budget the rent bill as strigently as I thought.  Woot!  I'm also happy that I found a curio type cabinet for forty dollars through a rent to own furniture place (they have a facebook site where they sell used/returned stuff for fairly cheap)  It has some dings and scratches but I cannot complain for the price, plus they are letting me pay it in two installments.  I've been dying for a proper place to display my Wizard of Oz collectibles so it's like an early Christmas for me. 

#464 of 1405 Old 07-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Oh, those of you with little ones, like five and under, I heard another resource you may want to check out.  Apparently there is a program called Dolly Partons Imagination Station (I think it's called, but google) that sends your child a free book every month.  It's not available in my area, boo, but it is a national thing.  I've heard good things and its a very simple process to sign up. 

#465 of 1405 Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

was able to delay paying internet/cable until 7/27 via some creative begging and info gathering from a very nice employee at the collections department.

I got a job offer today... you would think this is good news right??  sadly I make $20 more a week subbing if I can get a full week. AND i dont have to drive 90 miles round trip.   Bad news is if I keep this job for any length of time I will loose state benefits and be so much further behind than I am now... thinking 2 mos is the most I can risk.... just enough to get a few bills paid and let the subbing days start??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#466 of 1405 Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 PM

zebra, do you need a license to sub in your state?  Do yo u have schooling for subbing?  I guess I'm just wondering if that's why you don't work full-time as a teacher or if it's for other reasons.  My mom was a teacher for 30 something years and granted, teachers don't make a ton, but it's over the poverty level for sure!  Top step teachers in my state are making a nice $65K.  I'm glad you were able to shuffle things around and get some breathing room though.  

happyhats, glad you are feeling better.  Congrats on your cabinet.  Sounds like it'll spruce your place up a bit AND get some of the stuff contained properly.  That's always a good feeling so it doesn't feel cluttered.

Didn't make it to the museum today.  *sigh*  I'm a hot mess.  I did make a list of stuff to do tomorrow and on it I put "find new psychiatrist."  lol.gif  Obviously that's a necessary piece of the checklist.  

I got another jar of peaches and 2 jars of applesauce canned today and the cabinets have been organized.  I also have a little newborn shrug more than half finished for a friend of mine who's due tomorrow with a northern New England baby.  Her first.  heartbeat.gif  I already had the pattern and the yarn so my only cost will be shipping to mail it up to her.  She's the type that really appreciates local handdyed yarn and all things homemade so she's going to be over the moon about this present. 

I'm going to the library with the girls tomorrow and I plan to sit there and read my nook for a bit while they pick out books in the A/C AND all 3 of them can be on the computer at the same time playing games.  I love free activities.  There's a weekly craft too so that should be fun.  

#467 of 1405 Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

I have a teaching certificate so I can sub any grade, any time.  But i dont want to teach full time (that would make me psycho so fast it wouldnt be funny).  If i was to teach it has to be high school CTE/business classes cuz that what my cert is in.. no jobs there anyway so subbing is better.  Still thinking about going back to school for a major career change, either MA in psych or MFA... need to decide.

Kiddo won $20 from half price books for his reading log.. had the most time read in his age bracket for june... really 1 hr a day every day is the most??  ok... we will take the gift card !!  might go pick that up tomorrow.

Does anyone know if WINCO has gluten free stuff and if so is the GF significantly less expensive than other stores.. WINCO sends me into sensory overload so there needs to be a very good financial reason to go there

I went to yarn club tonight.  Got 2 hrs of crochet time in.  Its so nice to be around people who accept me for who I am and who enjoy my company. Who actually ask my opinion of THEIR projects!!   I love yarn club!!

#468 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 AM

Dude, I want a yarn club!!!!!  I did meet 3 other ladies at the park about a month ago that were knitting and had met each other through a knitting circle but it was a park 20minutes away and the knitting circle was another 15minutes from that PLUS over an expensive toll bridge.  

I did get everything but the sleeves finished on this for my friend: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/something-beautiful-shrug   And I made one of these in contrasting yarn for the little one: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aviatrix-baby-hat

Unfortunately my two big girls will only wear hats and mittens/wrist warmers.  No sweaters.  My youngest girl still loves mama-made sweaters but has like 5 of them.  So I've run out of people to knit for.  I may just do the old lady thing and start knitting newborn and preemie hats and donate them to our local NICU.  lol.gif  When my younger two were in the NICU, it was a big deal for me to get a hat and put it on them.  They aren't allowed clothing at first so a hat was BIG.NEWS.  It meant they weren't gonna die ya know?

#469 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Does anyone know if WINCO has gluten free stuff and if so is the GF significantly less expensive than other stores.. WINCO sends me into sensory overload so there needs to be a very good financial reason to go there

I shop for gluten free flours at my local Winco.  I agree, it is a big store and get overwhelming, but I go with a list and keep it simple.   I buy Bob's Redmill g/f flour and individual flours to blend...tapioca, white and brown rice flour, potato starch, xanthum gum.  They also sell almond flour.  They have a nice selection of rice pasta, quinoa, rice, and beans.

It makes shopping for my g/f family a bit easier to have so many options in one store.  Is it truly cheaper?  Probably, though I have not done any true comparison.  What I do like, is that I can buy small amounts when my grocery budget is low rather than buying larger quantities through Amazon. 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#470 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Justmama- I found my yarnclub on meetup.com   its amazing whats out there!  

I might go wander Winco today.  Last night  I made GF mango bread... yummmy.  Now we dont have any more boxed mixes of bread.

#471 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM

If you go to Winco for gluten-free stuff, make sure you check out their bulk bins. They have several flours and pastas there. I think last I checked xanthum gum was slightlly cheaper on Amazon but like the pp mentioned, you have to buy in bulk on Amazon. I can get just a little scoop from the bulk bin at Winco and it lasts me a long time. DH craves mac and cheese every now and again and hasn't found one he loves yet. He wants to try combining the gluten-free elbow macaroni from Winco with their cheese sauce powder, both from the bulk bins (I know, it's not very natural, but we all have our weaknesses).

Also, throughout our store all the gluten-free things are marked with a hot pink sticker, to help make them easier to find.

#472 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 PM

justmama, I think that knitting for the icu babies sounds wonderful...you are enjoying your hobby and giving back in a wonderful way.  At the hospital I had Scarlet at they gave baby hats to all the babies and a homemade pillow to all c section mamas (you hold it to your incision and it eases pain when you first start moving around).  I had them out in the kids' room for a long time, and they are in their keepsake box. 

Yesterday was awful.  Full on migraine without any excedrin in sight.  OOf.  Today I feel much better though.  I am finally baking some bread, I"m behind on that.  Any great tips on slicing baked bread, justmama?  I still cannot seem to cut the bread evenly.  I'm going to try sharpening up my bread knife.  If that doesn't work I may borrow my parents electric knife and see if that helps. 

Doing my own "pantry challenge" of sorts.  I dont have a heck of a lot to do a pantry challenge worth but a couple things I"m doing-

Not buying any pinesol until I use up all my vinegar.  Pinesol and dish cleaning supplies are all we buy, and I don't love vinegar on my kitchen floor because it's wood laminate and streaks so easily.  But hubby bought a huge thing of vinegar for cleaning out the coffee pot and we have lots left. 

I found some teas in the cabinet I'm going to use as iced tea before I buy anymore family size bags.

Instead of buying any more popsicles for the kiddoes I froze some grapes and I'm freezing some homemade lemonade in muffin tins, plus maybe some oj.  So much healthier than the cheap popsicles with all that dye and chemical garbage.

Beans and rice for supper.  Probably fruit and crackers for lunch.  Yay for more produce!

Justmama, I'm sending good mental health vibes your way.  You are a wonderful asset to this forum and other forums I remember you on, and I really consider you a friend.  Please be gentle with yourself.  

#473 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Several big updates:

1. Biopsies came back...precancer. Not cancer though. I get to do more biopsies before they decide on a treatment.
  2. I had an EKG due to palpitations. The 30 second one showed PACs so I got to wear a 24 hour one yesterday. Results will be in in a couple weeks.
  3. I'm getting divorced. Now I will be a single, homeschooling, student mother.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#474 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 PM

My goodness, lots on your plate, Micah.  I'm sorry to hear about the divorce ontop of all of these health scares.  I'm glad your biopsy came back a little better than you feared and hopefully treatment won't be too intrusive.   Praying for good health and peace. 

I'm tired of thinking about food all the time,  what I'm going to cook for every meal, how we are going to make things stretch, do we have enough of x,y, z.  Blah.  I wrecked a large loaf of bread today and I seriously almost started crying thinking about all the flour I wasted, etc.  I know its a silly thing to obsess on but not having a full fridge and/or pantry is really disconcerting for me. 

Off to attempt another loaf of bread.  I'm all out of wheat so we will have to suffice on white for now...oh well.

#475 of 1405 Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

went to winco. got super duper overwhelmed and the thing I saw were not that much cheaper than a regular store,plus winco does not double coupons.  Can not handle winco...sorry

#476 of 1405 Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 AM

First off, micah_mae, hug2.gif  I'm not going to say how sorry I am because I know that you are strong and you've got this.  Also, my mom had precancerous cells on her cervix a number of years ago and opted for the hysterectomy, leaving one ovary in so that she could ease into menopause normally and not cause the body to go into shock with the hormone changes.  She's not had any similar health issues since.  I don't know if that's an option for you though(ie, if you are done having kids).  But if there's anything I can help with, don't hesitate to message me.  Divorce sucks.  But it's nothing compared with the heartbreak of living with a marriage that is crumbling and hurting you daily.  You can handle this.  Take it one hour at a time until you can take it 2 hours at a time and then eventually one day at a time.  

happyhats, I would try sharpening your knife first.  If you let the bread cool all the way before slicing, it works much easier.  I know that's easier said than done though.  It's so yummy.  I do find that a very large serrated knife works best though once it's fully cooled.  But I agree on no popsicles.  Try filling popsicle molds with yogurt of your choosing, maybe toss in some fruit if you are feeling frisky.  It's delicious.  My kids eat that for dessert because it tastes like ice cream.  lol.gif  Yeah it feels a little sneaky but whatever.  We also make smoothies(no sweetener, just milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, and spinach) and make pops out of that.  I rarely fill the pops with juice.  I like being creative.  Also, pudding freezes nicely if you have some extra.  I love these molds.  http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Blue-Rocket-Pops-Set/dp/B000G34F1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373629400&sr=8-1&keywords=tovolo+rocket+pop+molds  I found them at TJMaxx for $9.99 and they are SO sturdy.  Ya know how plastic usually shatters when you drop it when it's cold?  These don't.  I've dropped a full tray down the basement stairs before and only cracked off a tiny piece of the edge that didn't affect the usage.  I LOVE this brand.  

Yeah I kept the baby hats and the blankets that they put on my girls' isolettes in the nicu.  It kinda made their little corner of the room special and cozy looking so I kept them in their memory box for later on.  I think I will knit for the local hospital.  heartbeat.gif

We are headed to the farmer's market today with my mom and my neighbor.  It's payday!  I got my babysitting charges fed and off to camp already and it's just 7:30am.  My kids are just getting up and having pumpkin muffins and blueberries.  Also, I have to head to TMobile this morning because my phone keeps telling me that there's no sim card so no service and keeps rebooting itself.  3 times just this morning but it's been doing it nearly a week now.  When your cell is your only phone in the home, you need to be able to rely on it.  

I'm going to take part of my babysitting money this week and buy the littlest girl a backpack for kindergarten.  My other girls have yard sale Jansport bags that work great and haven't broken yet after years of use.  I was thinking this for her though: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62782?feat=818-GN1&page=junior-original-book-pack-print&attrValue_0=Pink%20Lilac%20Dot.  I haven't found a yard sale bag for her even though I've been looking for months and the Jansport ones in the stores are about $30-40 anyway.  I know LLBean is great and will hold up forever or we can return it for a new one so I think the splurge is worth it.  Plus this kind is a little smaller and probably easier for a 5 year old to carry.

I am hoping to pick up a bunch of cucumbers at the farmer's market today and make pickles while the kids are at daddy's house tonight.  I'm such a dork.  You'd think a divorced 32 year old woman would be going out and being social and havin ga few drinks with friends on her night off from kids but this 32 year old stays home canning pickles or running trails every Friday night.  eyesroll.gif

#477 of 1405 Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Oh, hugs to all. Sometimes I feel almost guilty hanging out here, when I think I have my financial problems solved. You know, a good month or 2, when I actually still have gas and grocery money left by the next paycheck. But then, something always comes up...

This time, it is serious. Long story... My sister lives in England, and has serious sclerederma, a fatal disease that causes hardening of the tissues (skin and internal), and is progressing slowly. She is quite disabled by this, and needs a full time, live-in carer. Her daughter, 26, did it for a couple years, but quite reasonably needed to get on with her life. Her son, 28, came to take over, and he is being an utter shit. He is so nasty that a part-time housekeeper who came in quit and left in tears, saying she could not stand how he treated her or my sister. My daughter, 18, would love to go and take care of her aunt for a year or so. But we are hitting such obstacles! First, plane fare is around $1200, which we simply do not have. Next, is the visa/immigration issue. The government pays for her carer, but only to an EU citizen. DD (a US citizen) would do it without pay, but if my sister doesn't have an "official" carer living with her, she will lose her subsidized 2 bedroom apartment. It is crazy that a caring, competent relative can't take this job. Sister can't find a stranger willing to provide this level of care for the paltry wages.

Although I am totally committed to helping my sister, it would seriously screw up my plans. Besides that I would need to send DD a couple hundred $ a month if she isn't getting paid by the state, I am in the process of getting certified to be a therapeutic foster parent. I was counting on DD for help with that - babysitting if I get stuck in traffic or work late, that kind of thing. These are kids who cannot be home alone at all. Ever. I was really counting on the foster payment as a part time job - not that I would be doing it "for the money", but to be honest, that did play into the decision. I don't make enough to live on at my job, and my other income sources will be ending someday (I am paid to care for my elderly mother, but she is 95, and it is hard to say how much longer she will live). I also receive a small SSI disability payment for my son, who will turn 18 soon, and that will end.

We have talked about bringing my sister here, but she would have no medical care if she leaves the EU. It is so frustrating that this whole issue is stymied by money. And the bureaucracy of the immigration department. My father used to say that there are 2 kinds of problems: those that can be solved with money, and those that can't. We have come up with solutions to some of the issues, but money is standing in the way of implementing those plans. I just want to cry - for my sister and the painful, humiliating way her life is ending, and my frustration of not being able to help.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#478 of 1405 Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM

greensad.gif  What a shitty week everyone's been having.  Rhu, can your daughter go over to spend time with her Aunt and pick up the slack that a british caregiver won't do and just stay on as a "houseguest" officially?  I mean, I don't know if your aunt could afford to help with the cost of the plane fare but it might be worth her while so that she'd have a caregiver who was caring and loving and going to treat her with the respect she deserves.  Or maybe your daughter could take on a job for the next few months to raise some money of her own and go over then.

#479 of 1405 Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I LOVE YARN CLUB! why didn't I find something for myself sooner? these people generally care about eachother, are wiilling to help out and TEACH a stitch or project. They care about whats going on with YOU as a person. Heck I've been with them for a couple weeks and it feels like family. I guess there are folks out there who really do care and can help. I almost cried when some lady helped me start a project .. I really need to expand my circle of friends and who i hang out with. Getting weepy over yarn.

#480 of 1405 Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 PM

I understand, zebra.

Rhu, how did your sister find herself in England?  I'm just wondering if someone has dual citizenship (either her or other relatives) and that could work in your favor in some way?  Could you daughter try going to school in England and then getting a part time caregiver with the stipend that comes to your sister?

So, the hubby got a loan last year without telling me.  Its not a large loan, but ya know, it's large enough.  He told me it was a bonus and I feel incredibly stupid that I believed him.  He isn't in the line of work to get loans, but he had pulled the company's butt out of the fire so I thought it was feasible.  He borrowed from his 401k and has been paying six bucks a freaking week towards it, which isn't going to do much of anything. The only reason I found out was because I happened to open the mail today.  I'm also pretty sure he's ran up the balance on our credit card.  Again, not huge because the limit on the credit card isn't more than a couple hundred dollars.  But still, I'm pretty pissed and depressed over the whole thing.  I didn't even want this credit card, but he insisted on getting it (again without even really consulting me, it came in his name and he told me he was taking it, end of story) saying that he wanted to help improve our credit score so we could get a house in a few years.  But instead he's apparently using it irresponsibly and not doing what it was intended for (pay for gas with it, pay off the balance every month, repeat).  So some serious talks will happen this weekend, but I don't know how much will even come of it.  I'm very sick and tired of the lies and hiding that has been happening, and I'm honestly in disbelief that money is tearing us apart this way. We came from absolute nothing, we have come so very far for this bullshit to be going on, and we should be getting into a position to finally be more comfortable, not piling on more debt.  Honestly I can forgive the financial issues, and I can even see his side of things even though I disagree, but the hiding for this long is a much bigger issue. 

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page